PDA

View Full Version : 'ping' feature for FG maps

swest
March 12th, 2015, 19:13
Greetings,

The only other VTT that my gaming group has used was roll20, and while we don't do a lot of comparisons, since the features and capabilities of FG that we use so far exceed the features an capabilities of roll20 that we used, there is one item that we sorely miss:

The ability to quickly ping a location on a map.

Yes, I know you can just draw an arrow, but that is a multi-step operation, and must be remove (lest clutter).

I think this is on the wish-list (In fact, I may have put it there... let me check... ahh, no, I added a comment, but moon_wizard initiated it... in 2012 (!))

Anyway, has there been any activity, of any kind, by any one, in this area? The aforementioned Idea-Informer entry doesn't show any activity... just 'under consideration'.

Has anyone come up with any good alternatives? Is anyone working on an extension? Any single-step operation is preferable to the current mechanism.

Thanks.

- s.west

Andraax
March 12th, 2015, 21:03
If I want my players to look at something on a map, I center it on my view, then use the "sync view" off the right click menu to force all the clients to the same view.

swest
March 12th, 2015, 21:12
If I want my players to look at something on a map, I center it on my view, then use the "sync view" off the right click menu to force all the clients to the same view.

That would be handy. However, I don't see "sync view" on the radial menu...

?

[edit... never mind. I found it]

swest
March 12th, 2015, 21:24
Ok, I did find the "sync view", but it doesn't quite do what I thought was being suggested. Nevertheless, I suppose there are some combinations of it, and "lock view" that might help...

Thanks for the info.

- s.west

damned
March 12th, 2015, 21:30
Quick Arrows?

Hold two mouse buttons down and it draws a one-time arrow.
Next one time arrow you draw will replace the last one.

Works for players and GM.
You can just click both buttons again to remove it too.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/fg-con-6-150-14.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

swest
March 12th, 2015, 22:09
Quick Arrows?

That. Is. So. Cool!

Thanks, a lot. That is a very acceptable substitute for the 'ping' idea. In fact, I think I like it better...

Nickademus
March 13th, 2015, 01:33
Quick Shapes. Hold down Shift, Ctrl, or Alt before making a quick arrow to make a square, circle or cone respectively.

swest
March 13th, 2015, 01:39
Quick Shapes. Hold down Shift, Ctrl, or Alt before making a quick arrow to make a square, circle or cone respectively.

Yes. I just tracked down the link to this feature's documentation (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Images).

Thanks!

damned
March 13th, 2015, 01:50
Nice one Nickademus. I only knew the half of it!

dulux-oz
March 13th, 2015, 02:10
Nice one Nickademus. I only knew the half of it!

Then you haven't watched my Tutorial Videos - have you? :p

swest
March 13th, 2015, 02:56
I have. I've watched them all. Twice, now. Unfortunately, my schema builds slowly, incrementally... Was this information in there?

Anyway, this "quick pointers" is really cool stuff. It will make my gaming group happy.

- s.west

p.s. I only know of 3 (and just confirmed with your link) GM-centric tutorials. Do you have plans to do any more?

dulux-oz
March 13th, 2015, 03:41
I only know of 3 (and just confirmed with your link) GM-centric tutorials. Do you have plans to do any more?

Yeah, there's more on the way - I've just run into some (outside of FG) issues which have really slowed me up :(

And don't worry, I was having a "dig" at Damned - because I'm such a nice guy!

damned
March 13th, 2015, 04:28
"why me?" i cry to the heavens!
I have watched your videos.
The length and detail in your videos is both great and not so great - I find I miss things and its hard to find where that specific piece of info is in a longer video.
I did 3 hangouts at FG Con and recorded them - theyre 90mins each and there is plenty of useful stuff in them but finding something specific in them is difficult.

dulux-oz
March 13th, 2015, 05:13
The length and detail in your videos is both great and not so great - I find I miss things and its hard to find where that specific piece of info is in a longer video.
I did 3 hangouts at FG Con and recorded them - theyre 90mins each and there is plenty of useful stuff in them but finding something specific in them is difficult.

"Why You?" Because you bite so nicely :p (and because I consider you a good friend).

Yeah, I've been think about putting up some sort of "Index" for each one with the time stamp on where each section starts

I'll have to think about it further.

Nickademus
March 13th, 2015, 06:23
I would have to agree about the videos. But I feel that way about most tutorial videos.

I find the best way (which in no way replaces tutorial videos) is to join a game with an knowledgeable FG veteran and ask if they mind giving advice. Then constantly ask 'is there a better way to do this', 'is this the right way to make this', and 'how would I go about doing this'. Questions with short answers like the quick arrows are much easier to get from people than from video. And I have to admit, I still learn something new about FG from someone almost every game I play (and it was absolutely every game for the first year or so).

damned
March 13th, 2015, 07:13
I think the Index is a great idea.

swest
March 13th, 2015, 08:24

And those are where?

swest
March 13th, 2015, 09:32
I find the best way ... is to join a game with an knowledgeable FG veteran...

I'm shy.

But, I'll keep an eye out for an opportunity.

Thanks.

- s.west

p.s. What part of Ohio are you in? I grew up in Delaware. [well, I 'grew up' as much as I was ever going to, I guess...]

damned
March 13th, 2015, 10:13
I'm shy.

Just roleplay thru it...
:)

Nickademus
March 13th, 2015, 12:40
What part of Ohio are you in?

I've been all over Ohio: Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland. Currently in Cincy.

Tiqon
March 13th, 2015, 18:29
then you haven't watched my tutorial videos - have you? :p

hahaha busted! :p.