PDA

View Full Version : Notes taking out extra spaces? and maybe a suggestion

Masseurhanz
March 12th, 2015, 01:53
Last night I decided to try and make most of the tables in the 3.5 DMG into a module in FG. As most of you well may know is that there are many tables in the DMG that does not involve a dice roll, like the Increasing and Decreasing Weapon Damage by Size. Since the "Tables" section in FG can only be made with dice rolls, the far left column would always be the result of the dice roll. So I started making those tables in the "Notes" section, using spaces to separate the columns on the rows. So it would look something like this:

Medium..............................Number of Size Categories Decreased
Damage.............One..............Two........... ...Three.................Four
1d2.....................1.................—....... ...........—.....................—
1d3...................1d2................1........ ...........—.....................—
1d4...................1d3...............1d2....... ..........1......................—

I actually had to add periods "." instead of spaces cause the forum here did the same thing as FG when I posted this
After I closed the note and opened it back up, all the extra spaces were taken out so it looks like this:

Medium Number of Size Categories Decreased
Damage One Two Three Four
1d2 1 — — —
1d3 1d2 1 — —
1d4 1d3 1d2 1 —

As you can see the top one with the extra spaces looks neater and can be read much easier. I was thinking that this might be a glitch and if it is, to bring it to the devs attention. I could always use periods "." instead of spaces, but as is I wasted a good hour I thought I post it here.

Second if I can make a suggestion. It has probably been suggested, maybe even several times, to be able to make custom character sheets without having to know code. I know there are some games that use more then 6 attributes and some of those attributes are named differently (like instead of Dexterity some games use Agility). I have no clue how it read or write the simplest of code. I remember an old program, OpenRPG, where you can puzzle together different types of nodes with the ability to name them and even set dice rolls to them. I have had FG for awhile now but haven't dived too deep into different customations so if this feature is already in the game, sorry and ignore this paragraph. LOL

Andraax
March 12th, 2015, 02:20
Why don't you use tables?

Masseurhanz
March 12th, 2015, 02:32
I just started learning the tables and it looks like they tables in FG are designed for dice rolls. Like the "100 Adventure Ideas" or Treasure tables. Also it looks like the FG tables only has 2 columns; the dice roll result (which looks like can't be changed) and one column for the printing of what you get from the roll. As you can see from part of the table I typed in on my first post there are 5 columns. Also it looks like there are only a limited amount of rows that you can make in the FG tables section, i.e. it doesn't look like you can make a table with 23 rows, you options go from 20 rows to 100 rows, or as it says in the table creation "rolls".

Andraax
March 12th, 2015, 02:35
Not rollable tables (and you can increase the number of columns in those as well). Ctrl-6 turns on table editing mode in story entries (and I believe notes as well). Here is more information: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics#Formatted_Text_Fields

Andraax
March 12th, 2015, 02:47
Looks kinda like this:

Masseurhanz
March 12th, 2015, 02:54
Ctrl + 6? Sweet I didn't know about that short cut. That is exactly what I am looking for. Will give that a try, maybe that can be put into the tables section, since what you made from the info I put in the first post is a table lol. Thanks a lot Andraax, I appreciate you finding that, I probably would have never found it.

Andraax
March 12th, 2015, 02:59
And here's an example of a rollable table with multiple columns. To roll on a particular column, you drag the die and drop it somewhere on the column, the result is rolled and placed into the chat box.

Trenloe
March 12th, 2015, 03:11
More info the CTRL keys for formatted text fields here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics#Formatted_Text_Fields

Also, a recommendation - don't do the work in the notes field, do them in Story entries. Then you'll be able to export them into a module and re-use in other campaigns. Notes field functionality is really aimed at players making notes specific to a single campaign.

Masseurhanz
March 12th, 2015, 03:27
Nice crit chart Andraax. I will have to mess around with tables more or try to find a video that shows all the ins and outs.

Trenloe: A big thanks for the info about notes not being exported into modules. I thought all the information you put into any section would be exported into a module. I wanted to use the notes section because I figured that the stories section would be pretty full with just adventure information.

Again, a big thanks Andraax and Trenloe. You guys gave me some good info I didn't know.

damned
March 12th, 2015, 11:48
use Stories, use Stories, use Stories - and use PINs to organise it all!