PDA

View Full Version : Par5e Issue- Magic items.

The Scriven One
March 12th, 2015, 00:12
I was watching a tutorial on Par5e on Youtube, and the presenter said that magic items were really simple, so I figured I'd start there.

I spent all day formatting the magic items from the DMG including tables, and am now trying to parse it. On the 5th step, folder structure, Par5e states: Created, and then hangs. The progress bar hangs at what looks like 33%.

I've checked off magicitems.txt under ref, and tables.txt under Cmp.

I haven't let it run more than half an hour like this, so if it just needs time, let me know.

Is this a common issue? Is there something I can do?

Thanks in advance.

Treegreen
March 12th, 2015, 02:15
It's hard to guess what the problem is, but it shouldn't take more than a few seconds to pare most stuff. It's running into some formatting trouble somewhere, either a bad character or something else.

The Scriven One
March 12th, 2015, 02:20
Thanks. I'll give it a look over. Is there a list of reserved characters or combinations beyond what's in the Par5e pdfs?

The OCR on my DMG scan was a bit wonky, with stray weird characters. I think I cleaned most of it up. But I bet you're right- there's probably some sort of weird string that PAR5E is reading as an instruction that doesn't make sense.

The Scriven One
March 12th, 2015, 02:28
Sorry for all the questions; once I figure out what my mental malfunction was overall, I'll probably be able to fix a lot of problems. I got it to parse the first two items. When I get to ammunition it stops again. Here's what I've got:

AMMUNITION, +1
Weapon, uncommon (+1)
You have a bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this piece of magic ammunition. The bonus is determined by the rarity of the ammunition. Once it hit a target, the ammunition is no longer magical.

AMMUNITION, +2
Weapon, rare (+2)
You have a bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this piece of magic ammunition. The bonus is determined by the rarity of the ammunition. Once it hit a target, the ammunition is no longer magical.

AMMUNITION, +3
Weapon, very rare (+3)

The Scriven One
March 12th, 2015, 02:31
Nevermind- I had to take out the (+x) from the rarity line. If anything this thread might help future people with the same problem.

The Scriven One
March 12th, 2015, 03:30
Now I've gotten everything to parse, but I get to:

Parse : magicitems .................................................. ........................ [Completed]
Make : magicitems windowlists .................................................. ............ [Completed]
Parse : tables .................................................. ............................ [Completed]
Make : tables windowlists .................................................. ................ [Completed]

And there's no module in the folder.

As a note to anyone who is having trouble parsing, however, be careful with line breaks, and note that other than (requires attunement) or (requires attunement by a spellcaster), the program doesn't get along with wordy attunement requirements.

Treegreen
March 12th, 2015, 04:08
Try parsing the magic items by themselves (e.g. remove the tables entry for now) and see if it makes a module. If it does, it's something in your tables.txt if it doesn't then there is still an issue in the magicitems.txt

The Scriven One
March 12th, 2015, 04:48
My tables.txt was blank. I thought I could get away with writing the tables in the file, but rereading the guide pdf it seems like I need to move and reformat all of the randomized tables inside tables.txt using a different markup. I'm doing that now. I can still turn back if that's wrong (I have a backup file), but that's what I'm doing for now.

Thanks for the help, by the way. I appreciate it.

Treegreen
March 12th, 2015, 06:02
The table.txt file provides roll-able tables, meaning once its parsed you'll see them in the table tab in FG and will be able to roll directly from it and FG will put the result in chat. If you don't necessarily care about that you can format the tables to be in almost anything. You just wouldn't be able to roll directly from them and it'd be more like playing at an actual table - you roll the dice and then look up the result.

The Scriven One
March 12th, 2015, 07:24
Ok, well, I moved everything over to tables.txt, and formatted it so it would parse. Lots of stupid OCR issues (dlOO, anyone?) and things like making sure to use 1 instead of 01 for a die roll.

I got through everything and still hung on:

Make : tables windowlists .................................................. ................ [Completed]
Make : tables (campaign) .................................................. ................. [Completed]
Make : tables (reference) .................................................. ................ [Completed]

I'm *so* close!

The Scriven One
March 12th, 2015, 07:43
Trying to Parse without tables.txt, I still get hung up here:

Make : magicitems windowlists .................................................. ............ [Completed]

The Scriven One
March 13th, 2015, 02:18
I finally got it to build. I had to go section by section, until I narrowed it down to Oathbow, which was breaking things. The "O" was a "0". That was my big problem.

Wow.

Regardless, thanks to Zeus for this great program. In going over my file so intently, I was forced to fix a number of other OCR issues, which actually made the module better than if I had been able to parse it right off the bat. I'll be sure to be careful in the future.

Karykzen
March 17th, 2015, 12:25
I finally got it to build. I had to go section by section, until I narrowed it down to Oathbow, which was breaking things. The "O" was a "0". That was my big problem.

Wow.

Regardless, thanks to Zeus for this great program. In going over my file so intently, I was forced to fix a number of other OCR issues, which actually made the module better than if I had been able to parse it right off the bat. I'll be sure to be careful in the future.

Good to know! I thought I was doing just fine too since all the items would gie me an OK next to them when I parsed, but the parsing stastistice never made it past that (i.e. never got to the line that said "Well Built" for the xml, etc.)

I though it was my tables too but will look at some of the characters.

sukEEt
March 17th, 2015, 17:49
Ok, well, I moved everything over to tables.txt, and formatted it so it would parse. Lots of stupid OCR issues (dlOO, anyone?) and things like making sure to use 1 instead of 01 for a die roll.

I got through everything and still hung on:

Make : tables (campaign) .................................................. ................. [Completed]
Make : tables (reference) .................................................. ................ [Completed]

I'm *so* close!

try d% instead of d100

The Scriven One
March 17th, 2015, 21:07
try d% instead of d100

I'm done and it all works with d100.