PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me with a "#zl;npc;Larva" problem?

sukEEt
March 9th, 2015, 16:29
I can't get the refference manual that I am parsing using Par5e to link to the "#zl;npc;Larva" command. I get a link that is labled correctly in my output, but it shows up as a "new personality" instead of the "Larva" from the NPC list. The Larva creature shows up fine in my NPC list, however. What am I doing wrong?

Treegreen
March 9th, 2015, 23:02
I'm going to assume you are using list start and end tags, but just in case:

#zls;
#zl;npc;Larva
#zle;

The only other thing I can think of is to ask if you're parsing say, a DMG Module, and trying to link your NPC from your Monster Manual Module. If that's the case go into the XML and change the link manually to be @othermodulename and save it.

weretygr
May 6th, 2015, 03:03
I have a similar problem in a module I created with about 800 NPCs that I am trying to reference from within a reference page/story page. I've tried pretty much all variations of the #zl; or #zal; even though it's in the same module as well as tried npc and referencenpc to try to get it to link but it still comes up with the "New personality". Is there a way to debug what FantasyGrounds thinks I am clicking on since if I look at the db.xml file the link looks right as well as the target xml node (in all lower case) appears?

Olodrin
May 7th, 2015, 01:52
I had exactly the same problem - make sure when you parse your npcs.txt in the Monster Manual you have 'Cmp' checked. You can have 'Ref' checked or unchecked, but Par5e's #zl;npc; links to the campaign formatting

weretygr
May 7th, 2015, 05:17
Thx Olodrin! That did the trick! I'm not sure how we are really supposed to create reference NPCs but I'll pass on that now that I have it working this far.

The Buster B
March 9th, 2016, 01:02
As I just ran in to this problem and this thread did not provide the full resolution, I am posting what happened to me. I was getting the same "new personality" issue even after I properly parsed both campaign and reference for my PHB npcs. When you parse campaign npc it allows it to show up in the NPC menu on the right hand side and not just in the library reference.

In the PHB reference manual I was linking the NPCs in the appendix, the Bat npc and a few others were coming up with "new personality". Also when you looked under the right hand side NPC button under my PHB, any one that was not working properly had a link but the name was not displayed. The steps here worked, but nothing in my current campaign/instance of fantasy grounds would change. Sooooo if anyone else is stuck, you may have already fixed the problem but it will persist in Fantasy Grounds once it has established the faulty links. Test by starting a new campaign to prevent a lot of needless head scratching!!!!

Zacchaeus
March 9th, 2016, 10:07
Hi, Buster and welcome to Fantasy Grounds and to the community.

The public version of par5e doesn't contain the tags necessary to enable linking within a reference manual.

At any rate you need to par5e your NPCs as Cmp and any links to NPC within the reference section will work. As noted above you need to use the following markup.

#zls;
#zl;npc;Larva
#zle;

If such a link isn't working then the most likely explanation is misspelling of the name or characters in the name that par5e (and/or FG) doesn't like. Try changing the names if they are correctly spelled. Also make sure that everything has ar5ed properly.

Once you repar5e a module and switch back into FG to test you would need to close and re-open the module in order that the changes take effect. If that doesn't happen try right clicking on the module (in the module activation window) and select 'revert changes' if that option is available.

damned
March 9th, 2016, 10:58
Also make sure that everything has ar5ed properly.

freudian slip?

Zacchaeus
March 9th, 2016, 12:37
freudian slip?

Certainly looks that way. I was hurrying out the door to get a SIM card for my new phone so clearly didn't check things too well. But thanks for pointing it out though :)