PDA

View Full Version : 5e AC calculation

Vishera
March 8th, 2015, 01:27
I've noticed that when calculating my armor class, FG doesn't seem to add the numbers right. When adding your armor's bonus plus your shield it automatically adds them PLUS your base of 10. For example chain mail adds 16 AC and shield is 2 its making the character sheet add 18+10(base ac) rather than it being 18 all together.

lbealsjr
March 8th, 2015, 04:36
I've noticed that when calculating my armor class, FG doesn't seem to add the numbers right. When adding your armor's bonus plus your shield it automatically adds them PLUS your base of 10. For example chain mail adds 16 AC and shield is 2 its making the character sheet add 18+10(base ac) rather than it being 18 all together.
That is because for some reason the Character sheet expects the armor number to be the value given in the PHB minus 10. If I had to guess, it is because that was the easiest way to deal with 10 being the base armor.

Vishera
March 8th, 2015, 21:01
hmm they should put out a patch to fix this, it's really confusing to explain to your players "the program is all screwy, just do it this way" especially if they are new players they don't quite get why they are doing it that way. Can't the formula for AC on the sheet simply say "Armor" + "Shield" -10 = AC? (also including any other modifiers etc)

lbealsjr
March 8th, 2015, 21:08
Agree that it is confusing, but it would probably be just as confusing to those characters who don't wear armour who didn't realize that they needed to add 10 for their BVDs...DM why is my AC zero?

Vishera
March 8th, 2015, 21:16
a simple if,then statement could fix that. if armor = 0 AND shield = 0, then AC = result +10. Just thinking outside the box