PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds - Wednesdays 7pm British Time (GMT) - Looking for Players

Von Stalhein
March 7th, 2015, 00:54
GM's FG License: Ultimate (no need for you to own FG2)
Game System: Savage Worlds

Time Zone: British (GMT)
Day of week and time: Wednesdays 7pm-10pm
If new game, planned start date: Game currently ongoing
Planned Frequency: Weekly sessions, every Wednesday
Term: ~8 weeks for this campaign, opportunity to become regular group member

Text or Voice: Text only
Voice software used: N/A

Roleplay & Combat mix: 70/30
Number of Players in game & needed: Need 1-3 players; already have 2 players. [1 additional new player now recruited! 2 slots still available.]
Character starting level & equipment: 20XP (4 advances)
Character restrictions: None, except a) must be coherent with general notion of "old-school" fantasy mixed with Ghibli (e.g. Howl's Moving Castle); b) must have narrative/literary coherency and interest.

Details of your scenario: This game is a narrative-driven dungeon-crawl. That is, it's a dungeon crawl in structure, but we're not playing it as one: we're playing it as a serious narrative. Specifically, you (whoever you are - and your freedom there is only limited by the noted restrictions above, though I reserve the right to help you refine your concept) have somehow become trapped in the mythical Castle Farkinwald - the demense of the Wizard who goes by that moniker. Your character proposal doesn't need to worry about how, or why, you have ended up there: you and I together will come up with that. Instead, what's important is the creation of an interesting, narratively coherent character - someone who will add something to our story. Again: we're subverting the dungeon-crawl into something a bit more compelling! You can expect all the trials and tribulations and interesting practical problems that come with a dungeon-crawl, but the detailed character and roleplay that comes with "deep-roleplay" games. That's the style of this group, and if it appeals to you, there's a good chance we'll want you to stick with us long after this game has finished!

Questions are welcome. Feel free to ask here, or by PM. Requests to join by PM please: they should include a character proposal. Knowledge of Savage Worlds is a bonus but absolutely not a prerequisite; if you do know SW, you may get brownie points by including a stat-up of your character with your written proposal.

Important Practical Note: Due to Oxford University's "firewall of doom" I must use Hamachi to host FG2 games - so you will need to install Hamachi as well (it's free, and recommended by this very forum as a solution for FG2 firewall problems).

Bashido2
March 7th, 2015, 09:04
I read and im looking at this, i have a schedule thats abit full right now but just wondering about something about savage world ruleset.
(I also had some issues with hamachi in the past, but ill see if its workable)

Im looking at necromancy caster, and wondering if becoming a lich-like creature or undead or to halt the aging is possible in savage world.
Is this possible or is it one of the older style rulesets with limitations on magic in such a way to prevent PCs from certain things?

Von Stalhein
March 7th, 2015, 11:31
There's no specific "lich" or "undead" trait available in SW. You could construct your own using the Race rules (which allow building custom races) and choose those advantages you thought appropriate to your conception of undeath. Alternatively, you could specify that you are of an ageless race without any specific mechanical advantage. This kind of ageless-ness does not have to mean undeath in the traditional rotting-skin and clacking-bones sense. Your imagination is the limit and you can apply whatever rules options you like to give mechanical weight to narrative elements. (E.g. an ageless character with naturally lasting beauty might well have the Attractive edge, or so on.)

What's most important is that, with any such character, this highly unusual (for us, the real people authoring and experiencing the story) trait of ageless-ness would be a major pivot point of what makes the character interesting and noteworthy in a literary capacity. What is it like to be ageless? How does that affect the way one views life? Does it make you more or less afraid of death through violence or malefolent illness? So on and so forth.

Bashido2
March 7th, 2015, 14:36
The main issue for me is actually using hamachi, i dont think it works for me (due to several things after checking them recently).
Unless anything changes, im sorry to took up your time, and i hope you have a nice day.
*bows*

Von Stalhein
March 8th, 2015, 12:33
One slot is now filled! Still looking for up to two more.

@Bashido2: No worries.

AstaSyneri
March 9th, 2015, 11:05
This is a homebrewn "setting", right? Basically you are using the core Savage Worlds rules to run your game?

The timing is perfect for me, but I don't like adding another program (Hamachi) to my PC and I am not sure whether the background suits my tastes (WHY are the characters in the dungoen - what is the background?.

Von Stalhein
March 9th, 2015, 12:51
Yes, it is "homebrew." All rules from Core and Fantasy Companion are available for character creation.

As for the background: why are the characters in Castle Frankinwald? Firstly, it is not "a dungeon." It's a place - Castle Frankinwald. It is a dungeon only in a vaguely mechanical sense (to wit, that like "dungeons" it is very densely designed). Secondly, it is not why are the characters there? but why are you (your character specifically) there? In other words, the answer to that question is unique for your character. It won't be settled until you have a character.

So to be clear, you come up with more or less any character you desire, and I then develop a story as to why and how you came to be in the Castle. The players who were present at the start of the campaign of course played through their (joint, for the two of them) story as to how they wound up there.

The setting is deliberately not set out in advance. Players are welcome to create what they like in terms of their character's background: nations, cultural elements, and so forth. The guiding themes/touchstones of the setting (old-school fantasy, from David Eddings and Terry Brooks, to D&D 1st and 2nd, and Ghibli's aesthetics and feel, Howl's Moving Castle, Lapita: Castle in the Sky) are named as guidance for appropriate feel.

As mentioned in the first post, I have no alternative to using Hamachi. If this is a no-go for anyone, I'm afraid this rules you out as a player.

d1wright
March 9th, 2015, 17:02
I'm running an old XPSP2 install that's so fragile I can't even get Skype to install on it. FG2 even has some flake issues on bootup where I "must" hit the Upgrade button before I try to do anything or else the program will crash. Even if I already have the latest update. Word only launches if I try to open a document directly and will crash if I try to launch it from it's exe.

This is the state of my machine. I installed Hamachi on it without a problem and it works every time. The only reservation you may have is if you were already using some type of VPN tunneling software that might conflict such as one from work like Cisco Systems AnyConnect client or perhaps a Citrix or Juniper tunneling application.

When in doubt, create a restore point prior to the Hamachi install. It's not a huge Microsoft "do all" behemoth of an installation. It's bare bones to do what it does.

Trenloe
March 9th, 2015, 17:29
Important Practical Note: Due to Oxford University's "firewall of doom" I must use Hamachi to host FG2 games - so you will need to install Hamachi as well (it's free, and recommended by this very forum as a solution for FG2 firewall problems).
Or, if you (and the group?) don't mind paying a few $$ per month you could get a VPN service provider subscription and then only the GM has to mess around with VPN connections/additional software, the rest is transparent to the players. Some info in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20160-Using-a-VPN-Service-Provider-to-get-around-port-forwarding-issues

Von Stalhein
March 9th, 2015, 17:42
@Trenloe: It's against the Statutes for me to mess with the University network by installing or using VPN systems. I have a special exemption for the use of Hamachi that took me two Hearings to obtain and a lengthy presentation on how roleplaying games can constitute artistic endeavour. I don't plan on going through that again.

TL;DR: this group uses Hamachi. It's a five-minute install and has worked fine for dozens of players whom I have hosted. Moreover, it's recommended as a solution by the FG2 community in the Support forum. Back on topic: still have openings for one or two new players. Come join an experienced roleplaying group - over six years together - with a GM who has thousands of hours of experience.

Trenloe
March 9th, 2015, 17:54
@Trenloe: It's against the Statutes for me to mess with the University network by installing or using VPN systems. I have a special exemption for the use of Hamachi that took me two Hearings to obtain and a lengthy presentation on how roleplaying games can constitute artistic endeavour. I don't plan on going through that again.
No worries, I was just offering possible alternatives.

Sorry for barging in on your thread.

Von Stalhein
March 12th, 2015, 02:52
We had a good session tonight with one new player. Still slots available for one or two more people. Do let me know if you have any questions!

@Trenloe: No worries, thanks for the tip-off, sorry it just wasn't applicable in my situation. :)

AstaSyneri
March 12th, 2015, 10:18
We had a good session tonight with one new player. Still slots available for one or two more people. Do let me know if you have any questions!

Is there a record of what happened in that session? It might help with finding new players.