PDA

View Full Version : What savage settings do you think are still missing in the FG line-up?

AstaSyneri
March 6th, 2015, 09:31
Hi!

SW players have it good: We got one of the best rulesets and lots of settings, many of which even are available for FG. A few are not.

What do you think are the glaring (or not so glaring) omissions in the catalog? What settings should be there for our entertainment (and purchase, of course)?

Mask_of_winter
March 6th, 2015, 13:59
A few?

Hmmm... let's see:

Space 1889,The Last Parsec, Low-Life, Streets of Bedlam, Accursed, Beasts & Barbarians, Darwin's World, IZ 2.0 (still waiting on it's release, I heard it's done), Mars, Nemezis, Nova Praxis, Acthung Cthulhu, Solomon Kane (copyright issues with this one), Strike Force 7, Suzerain- Noir Knights, Dogs of Hades, Set Rising, Caladon Falls, Dungeonlands, Milennium Knights, Clockwork Dreams, Shangai Vampocalypse, Temporal Probability Agency, Thrilling Tales, The Day after Ragnarok, Totems of the Dead, Weird Wars Rome, War of the Dead, World of the Dead, Agents of Oblivion, Apocalypse Prevention Inc, Battle for Oz, Broken Earth, Legends of Steel, Pirates of the Spanish Main, Ravaged Earth, Shaintar, Time Zero, Wonderland No More, Mythos, Realms of Cthulhu, Eldritch Skies, Vampire Earth, High Space, Shadowed Earth, Judgement Day, Mercenary Breed, The Widening Gyre, Iron Dynasty, Runepunk, Sticks & Stones (but would be hard to play online), Ancient World, Hael, Tunse'Al, Gaslight, Mythic, Peacekeepers, Hellbrood, Tour of Darkness, Freeport Companion, Faith & Demons: The Rising, Kaiser's Gate, Steamscapes, The Kerberos Club...

I'm sure I forgot a few but I'm out of breath right now. :)

jshauber
March 6th, 2015, 14:04
Good thing Mask isn't asking for much.....

I would love to see The Day After Ragnarok and The Last Parsec.

TDAR is pretty small so should be fairly quick and easy to do and TLP is relatively new so getting most stuff converted now again should be fairly quick and then anything new can be added as it comes up so as to stay current.

I am sure I would take a look at some of the other listed by Mask, but those two are my primary interests right now.

Mask_of_winter
March 6th, 2015, 14:19
I was just pointing out that there were more than "a few" settings not in Smiteworks' catalog. I don't care for all of those.

I have the Last Parsec primer done complete with archetypes, portraits and tokens but due to a library menu glitch I can't submit it for review. This is a package that could get released for free since the primer was free. Only thing is that you need the Sci-Fi Companion to use it. Then the three settings for it wouldn't be too difficult. Pinnacle releases small books (each of them has 98 pages) so it would go fast.

AstaSyneri
March 6th, 2015, 15:39
LOL. I looked for appealing settings and made a pretty long list. Mask smashed that list and made one about twice as long ;-).

I guess another question is whether it makes sense to convert a number of these, and why that would make sense (or rather how one could make it make sense, if you get my gist ;-))?

Mask_of_winter
March 6th, 2015, 15:46
If you're looking for the most popular, a trip to drivethrurpg and the hottest Savage Worlds listing might help. https://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.php?filters=0_0_1600_0_0

Mask_of_winter
March 6th, 2015, 15:58
Shaintar, War of the Dead, Achtung! Cthulhu and The Last Parsec would probably sell the most. Especially Shaintar.

Ikael
March 6th, 2015, 16:03
I was just pointing out that there were more than "a few" settings not in Smiteworks' catalog. I don't care for all of those.

I have the Last Parsec primer done complete with archetypes, portraits and tokens but due to a library menu glitch I can't submit it for review. This is a package that could get released for free since the primer was free. Only thing is that you need the Sci-Fi Companion to use it. Then the three settings for it wouldn't be too difficult. Pinnacle releases small books (each of them has 98 pages) so it would go fast.

What is the library menu glitch that's blocking you?

Doswelk
March 7th, 2015, 07:40
...IZ 2.0 (still waiting on it's release, I heard it's done)...

I have finally finished the player's guide (except when typing this I remember I haven't as I was just finishing the power list when Notepad++ crashed so I need to complete that), I will now start on the GM section (not so big), but I am getting there.

Shaintar

I did this years ago,but it would need updating to the new version.

Wonderland No More

I bought this years ago (or maybe, it was just the campaign/long adventure the egg of seven parts)

With regard to what I would like to see done:

Is the rest of Hellfrost (bit hard as TAG haven't released the new rulebooks yet)

All for one (on its way)

Rippers 2.0 (not yet released by Pinnacle)

Solomon Kane (not seeing that getting done due to license issues)
Space 1889 (same again, though I did a theme for it once)

Talen
March 7th, 2015, 18:23
Are the old rippers modules updated for the new core structure?

Von Stalhein
March 12th, 2015, 02:58
The Last Parsec stuff would be good. (Pinnacle's pricing is good too... :P) I'd love to see Achtung! Cthulhu but I guess it would cost a bomb (for purchasers of the conversion) and I don't know whether that tends to make more or less money for those involved. I daresay that given that the books are CoC and SW in one, one might hope that SW-only content for FG2 would be cheaper than the equivalent dual-system PDFs (or rather, I'd fear people would be put off if it wasn't).

ImaTarget
April 9th, 2015, 11:46
Is there any chacne we are going to see Weird Wars Rome? Love that setting.

Dr0W
April 15th, 2015, 03:18
Interface Zero 2.0 <3

Meliath1742
April 26th, 2015, 13:21
The Last Parsec. I need to introduce my group to a SciFi setting (other than Star Wars) with a harder edge to it...something they aren't familiar or comfortable with. I would pay good money for this setting!

flynnkd
July 22nd, 2017, 13:15
MARS! Has quite a few books now and a great background.

ctcharger
July 27th, 2017, 01:47
I suppose I could use Weird Wars 2 especially for the French stuff but Tour of Darkness would be nice especially since they have a token pack.

Talyn
July 27th, 2017, 02:32
Not sure if he decided to commit or not, but @GunbunnyFuFu was debating Tour of Darkness just a few days ago when we were discussing it.

Topdecker
July 27th, 2017, 04:00
The Widening Gyre seems like a good choice since Steampunk isn't especially well represented on FG.

Thrilling Tales 2e looks good given that it is a deep product line (though I think an undelivered kickstarter has somewhat eroded some confidence / goodwill in the publisher)

Talyn
July 27th, 2017, 04:19
I am considering Widening Gyre, just depends on whether the publisher will license with FG or not first and foremost, and if they have enough color artwork they'll provide to work up a theme.

Talen
July 27th, 2017, 05:20
The Widening Gyre seems like a good choice since Steampunk isn't especially well represented on FG.

Thrilling Tales 2e looks good given that it is a deep product line (though I think an undelivered kickstarter has somewhat eroded some confidence / goodwill in the publisher)

Love the steampunk point.

goodmanje
July 27th, 2017, 21:23
Thunderscape and Mutant Chronicles.

goodmanje
July 27th, 2017, 21:25
And Broken Earth

Topdecker
July 27th, 2017, 21:45
And Broken Earth

Yeah, that is a post-apocalyptic goodness, eh? Another genre with few options.

Sometimes I think that I am the only one that kinda likes MERCENARY BREED. I guess that whole being a mercenary thing limits it's appeal, but there is a gob of source material in the setting books.

goodmanje
July 27th, 2017, 21:55
Yeah, I've read through most of the Broken Earth book and I really like the setting. It has a pretty cool campaign included too.

I haven't seen Mercenary Breed. I'll have to check it out.

Talyn
July 27th, 2017, 22:33
Broken Earth has been on my queue for awhile but on the backburner. If I'm going to do the work, I'd rather get the Savage Worlds and Pathfinder versions done at the same time. The Pathfinder one uses (if I recall) the Ultimate Combat book, so I'm waiting til that gets its FG edition so I can use the direct links and all that jazz instead of half-assing it now then patching it later. That and we still haven't gotten Sneak Attack Press to sign on to FG anyway.

@Wookie has been talking to the Modiphius crew, specifically about Mutant Chronicles most recently, but talks seem to have ground to a halt on the Modiphius front. They either have someone internally working on stuff or a third-party. Or nothing at all. We don't know what's going on with them right now.

Just to put this out there, but last holiday season or so, we all got a little firm talking to because settings were being put out, but no adventures. SmiteWorks wants stuff for people to actually play, so that's a big part of why settings have slowed down very slightly and more actual adventures for those settings being released. It's a process. :)

ctcharger
July 27th, 2017, 22:48
Not sure if he decided to commit or not, but @GunbunnyFuFu was debating Tour of Darkness just a few days ago when we were discussing it.

That would be great. I just downloaded the pdf and it is very well done. Would be nice if they republish it in the softback format.

GunbunnyFuFu
July 27th, 2017, 22:55
Thunderscape and Mutant Chronicles.

I've sent the inquiry up the chain on Thunderscape. I'm sure I'll hear back soon on it.

GunbunnyFuFu
July 27th, 2017, 23:03
Yeah, that is a post-apocalyptic goodness, eh? Another genre with few options.

Sometimes I think that I am the only one that kinda likes MERCENARY BREED. I guess that whole being a mercenary thing limits it's appeal, but there is a gob of source material in the setting books.

Mercenary Breed is a fantastic setting. I like it a bit more than TLP, as it has a better developed setting IMHO.

Wookiee420
July 27th, 2017, 23:03
About Modiphius, I have talked to them about any and all of their products, and they keep telling me that "someone" is working on it. I have offered assistance and tried to find out who is doing it, and got no useful answer. I even offered to work on it pro bono (simply asked to do it in return for more materials) and they said no to that too. Either they really have someone working on it, or they dont want it done. My recommendation is that people send them requests for their products on FG, and even ask Doug and whomever to get involved with trying to get to the bottom of this, for some odd reason I have not gone that route yet, I am sure Doug (or other FG peeps) would have more success but for some reason I havent talked to them yet.

Currently I am finishing up The Sixth Gun Adventures (maybe two weeks) then, I have no projects lined up other than my personal Mutant Year Zero, if I cannot make it publicly available, I will still make it for my own games.

One thing that I have been wondering is, maybe Modiphius doesnt understand how the commission/payment process works?

Wookiee420
July 27th, 2017, 23:11
Thats an idea, maybe i can work on more TLP next, there are only 2 adventures (and that death worm lameness) on FG and a BUNCH out there in the wild...

Topdecker
July 28th, 2017, 05:17
Another setting with quite a bit of material is STREETS OF BEDLAM. Probably inspired by Sin City with a neo-noir vibe that might be mixed with some gonzo. From the manual:

"Bedlam is an ultraviolent neo-noir crime drama where gun clips never empty unless tension demands it, people take hairpin turns driving oversized cars in the pouring rain, and a punch can go through a skull if delivered with enough panache"

flynnkd
July 28th, 2017, 05:44
Another setting with quite a bit of material is STREETS OF BEDLAM. Probably inspired by Sin City with a neo-noir vibe that might be mixed with some gonzo. From the manual:

"Bedlam is an ultraviolent neo-noir crime drama where gun clips never empty unless tension demands it, people take hairpin turns driving oversized cars in the pouring rain, and a punch can go through a skull if delivered with enough panache"

Ooh yes, I really like that game.

alfarobl
July 28th, 2017, 15:43
I would like Conan and Star Trek 2d20 system and Coriolis MY0 system support. I know Modiphius is working on Conan but don't know about the others.

Update about REH Conan:
"FANTASY GROUNDS - Development set In progress and testing"
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/robert-e-howards-conan-roleplaying-game/posts/1931363

Talyn
July 28th, 2017, 16:09
Those aren't Savage Worlds but yeah, I'd like to see a 2d20 framework ruleset that devs could use similar to Savage Worlds and make each 2d20 game layered over that.

JC was doing some general Conan 2d20 stuff but not sure if he was trying to build an actual ruleset or just using CoreRPG or MoreCore to whip up something playable for his personal group.

alfarobl
July 28th, 2017, 16:26
Sorry just read about Modiphius settings and forgot about Savage Worlds... yes besides 2d20 (You could play Coriolis or Conan with TLP or B&B rules as they are strong narrative systems and Savage would work well) Mutant Chronicles SW would be nice.

I would like Ultima Forsan support that is a great setting.

dstuffle
July 28th, 2017, 21:07
I'd like to see Weird War 1 and or Tour of Darkness.

Talyn
July 28th, 2017, 23:06
I could've swore someone was doing WW1. If not, once I finish my C&C stuff I might add it to my queue since my SW items are still unlicensed so no rush to finish them.

dstuffle
July 31st, 2017, 18:36
It was by Mortar (back in July of 2016) but appears to have fizzled.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33259-Weird-War-I

Mortar
August 9th, 2017, 15:45
ShotgunJolly was doing more work with it than I was, I'll check with him to see where he is at. I can pick it back up as I am starting to pick up steam again.

dstuffle
August 9th, 2017, 22:25
I look forward to it. Pinnacle Ent. appears to be putting more effort into getting adventure out for WW1 than any other setting (excepting Deadlands) currently (in the Savage Explorers).

Springroll
August 10th, 2017, 09:10
I would love to see Achtung! Cthulhu and Realms of Cthulhu :)

Talyn
August 10th, 2017, 12:19
@Mortar!!! Hey buddy, glad you're doing better!

I would love to see Achtung! Cthulhu and Realms of Cthulhu :)

::cough cough:: I can neither confirm nor deny the status of those two settings? ::cough cough::

Springroll
August 10th, 2017, 15:53
[QUOTE=::cough cough:: I can neither confirm nor deny the status of those two settings? ::cough cough::[/QUOTE]

I can neither confirm nor deny the fact that I'm really happy by that political response.... :)

Topdecker
August 10th, 2017, 16:31
Lack of FG support for Realms of Cthulhu has been a limiting factor for me.

Mortar
August 11th, 2017, 03:28
@Mortar!!! Hey buddy, glad you're doing better!

Better only in relative terms, but I am still walking.

Topdecker
August 24th, 2017, 21:21
::cough cough:: I can neither confirm nor deny the status of those two settings? ::cough cough::

I picked up a hard copy of Realms of Cthulhu because madness and elder gods are hard to resist.

Is it me, or did CoC 7e toss in some Savage-like game mechanics? Opposed rolls being the clearest point of similarity and pushing checks sounding like a dangerous version of a bennie re-roll...

Echomikedelta
September 2nd, 2017, 15:51
Achtung! Cthulhu

Springroll
December 10th, 2017, 11:44
Oh, I'd love to see the Seven Worlds setting as well :)

spite
December 10th, 2017, 19:58
I've wondered about Realms. Does it capture the mood and the lethality of Cthulhu? I've always found it pretty difficult to kill players in Savage so I have always considered that a limiting factor for trying it out.

Springroll
December 10th, 2017, 20:28
I've wondered about Realms. Does it capture the mood and the lethality of Cthulhu? I've always found it pretty difficult to kill players in Savage so I have always considered that a limiting factor for trying it out.
It actually works really well, if you want that "genuine" Cthulhu feeling go with Gritty Damage and Gritty Sanity. With gritty damage you can't make soak rolls, but they can spend bennies on vigor rolls when they receive a wound, if you fail the roll you're incapacitated and must roll a vigor roll again with various effects (injury table, instant death etc.)
So yes, it's quite deadly if you want it to be. Works great for any Cthulhu setting in my humble opinion.

spite
December 10th, 2017, 20:31
I'll have to check it out... Or not, don't want to make my recent Cthulhu ruleset and book purchases obsolete :P
Thanks for the response though.

Springroll
December 10th, 2017, 20:34
I'll have to check it out... Or not, don't want to make my recent Cthulhu ruleset and book purchases obsolete :P
Thanks for the response though.
Well, there's actually a Conversion Guide in the back of the book if you want to convert adventures and other books to work with Realms of Cthulhu ;)
And you're welcome :)

dstuffle
December 13th, 2017, 19:20
The conversion guide is for CoC 6th Ed. So stats for CoC 7th ed need to be converted from percent based to 1 - 20 based, then converted to Realms (SW) stats.

Springroll
December 14th, 2017, 05:58
The conversion guide is for CoC 6th Ed. So stats for CoC 7th ed need to be converted from percent based to 1 - 20 based, then converted to Realms (SW) stats.
I didn't know that - you learn something new every day :)

ColinBuckler
May 11th, 2018, 15:28
I'd like to see Weird War 1 and or Tour of Darkness.

Bump for Tour of Darkness...

GM BK
May 16th, 2018, 21:03
Oh, I'd love to see the Seven Worlds setting as well :)

Adding to the list for this one!

dragonheels
May 17th, 2018, 09:17
Yes, me too!

rodney418
May 18th, 2018, 07:57
1. Primeval Thule (really my favourite fantasy setting by far right now)
2. Gold & Glory: Seven Deadly Dungeons (would be amazing with built-in rollable tables for all the different pseudo-random stuff that book has)
3. Saga of the Goblin Horde (because it's hilarious)
4. The upcoming Wiseguys from Just Insert Imagination (because seriously, who doesn't want to play an 80s mafioso, amiright?)

iotech
May 20th, 2018, 04:03
I'd buy any IZ2 and The Last Parsec material that gets converted.

rodney418
May 20th, 2018, 08:58
Most of those two are already done surely?

Talyn
May 20th, 2018, 20:37
Not for IZ2.0. The only two DLC for it are the ones I've done. I have more planned, but further down my queue. All (or nearly all) of TLP is done now, though.