PDA

View Full Version : Slightly confused

jhall6766
March 6th, 2015, 03:39
Hi, I see Numenera in my rulesets... However when I look at ... It appears to be empty... Am I missing something or is this meant to be that way ... How do I get the rules and other things needed to play it.. Thanks

Trenloe
March 6th, 2015, 03:51
SmiteWorks is not licensed for an official Numenera ruleset and Numernera is not released as part of an Open Gaming License (OGL) or creative commons license - the material is protected by copyright. Therefore, you just get the base mechanics (gaming mechanics aren't covered by copyright) and no copyright material. This is similar to the D&D 5E ruleset.

D&D 3.5E and Pathfinder are released under an Open Gaming License (OGL), which allows most of the gaming material (not the setting material) to be re-produced and redistributed. Hence why the 3.5E and Pathfiner rulesets come with basic rules, spells, magic items and bestiary modules. These can't be created for Numenera without the permission of Monte Cook Games.

jhall6766
March 6th, 2015, 04:10
@Trenloe So basically Numenera is an empty shell currently ... Next question I have is ... If I should go to the Monte Cook site or drivethru Rpg purchase a copy of the rules would it be legal for me to copy/paste into a FG folder and use it in Fantasy Grounds and run a game or two...

Trenloe
March 6th, 2015, 04:35
It's an "empty shell" purely from a library data point of view. PC and NPC sheets are there, the mechanics are there to roll attacks, defence, etc.. But, yes, you need to put data in - how much is up to you.

For your own private gaming use you can absolutely put Numenera data from purchased PDFs etc. into FG and use that in your games with your players. The thing you can't do is publicly share/distribute that data.

jhall6766
March 6th, 2015, 04:39
K Thank You for your advice.. I appreciate it... Just didnt want to do anything to jeopardize myself or the FG community... Thanks for clearing t up for me.

jhall6766
March 9th, 2015, 19:11
Lol started putting a players guide together for my personal use/library... While doing this I've come to a better understanding of all the work you Developers do... So just a huge Thank You to the developers.