PDA

View Full Version : Achtung Cthulhu! and Broken Earth - should I buy?

AstaSyneri
March 4th, 2015, 12:30
Hi!

RPGNow has a 30% sale (for another 6 days) and some of my wishlist stuff appears on it (I am spoiled by Steam, I guess).

For Achtung Cthulhu:

A) How well do you really like it and
B) Do I need the Realms of Cthulhu from Reality Blurs, too, if I get the Players GM Guide for AC!?

For Broken Earth:

C) It has gotten rave reviews, but I am still torn. Does anybody have experience with it (and like it)?

Mask_of_winter
March 4th, 2015, 13:33
A) High quality. I really like it and am in the process of preparing a campaign for it. If you are into horror and WWII but don't want to run a military campaign it's a better option than Weird Wars II.
B) You don't need Realms of Cthulhu if you get the Investigator & Keepers guide for A!C. It's dual statted for both Call of Cthulhu and Savage Worlds.
C) I haven't read Broken Earth in it's entirety but I like what I've read so far. It's on the serious side of the post-apocalyptic genre. What that means is that if you're looking for Gamma World this game isn't for you. With the simian race available for play it reminds me of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

AstaSyneri
March 4th, 2015, 16:39
I am not that much into horror itself (very hard to pull off in an RPG, imho), but a good mix of weird action is always good ;-). Like the stuff Larry Correia is writing (hugely entertaining).

ad B) I am only talking Savage Worlds here - not interested in CoC. Investigators and Keepers guide do make Realms of Cthulhu obselete for this series, right (at least the SW part - dual-stats always are a pain ;-))?

Broken Earth with Simians? Okay, I didn't see that coming.

While talking settings - is there any good zombie/apocalypse one? Broken Earth seems to be more Fallout-themed than during the fall of man.

Mask_of_winter
March 5th, 2015, 01:01
War of the Dead or World of the Dead

AstaSyneri
March 5th, 2015, 10:20
War of the Dead or World of the Dead

They are available as part of a charity bundle (https://www.rpgnow.com/product/145070/The-Game-Masters-Memorial-Fund-Charity-Drive-BUNDLE), which I bought now. I did read the reasoning for the bundle, which made me sick to my heart. :(

As a parent this is the greatest apocalypse that could happen - my thoughts go out to Chris Banks. :(

phantomwhale
March 10th, 2015, 23:27
Re: Realms of Cthulhu - I think Reality Blurs really dropped the ball on this, and without much support (the few modules released were LOW quality, to my mind) it got buried.

Acthung Cthulhu picks up the baton right where they dropped it, and does a better job with the Sanity system, IMHO. It totally supersedes Realms of Cthulhu, and would be a better choice for any Savage Cthulhu game with pulp overtures, to my mind.
Plus the supporting modules are top notch and well produced.

AstaSyneri
March 11th, 2015, 18:07
They (A!C and Broken Earth) found the way onto my harddrive along with the charity bundle. A!C really looks neat. Have to sleep more (apparently I buy games when I get stressed ;-)).

Von Stalhein
March 12th, 2015, 03:03
Re: Realms of Cthulhu - I think Reality Blurs really dropped the ball on this, and without much support (the few modules released were LOW quality, to my mind) it got buried.

Acthung Cthulhu picks up the baton right where they dropped it, and does a better job with the Sanity system, IMHO. It totally supersedes Realms of Cthulhu, and would be a better choice for any Savage Cthulhu game with pulp overtures, to my mind.
Plus the supporting modules are top notch and well produced.

I second this opinion on RoC vs. A!C. I often love the principle concept of Reality Blurs' stuff, but feel let down by the finer details (I'm looking at you Agents of Oblivion). Anyway, definitely A!C over RoC.

AstaSyneri
March 12th, 2015, 10:25
Ha, now only to find players (and time) for such scenarios. So much good stuff - the charity package included TAG's Necropolis 2150 as well, so now I have what feels like a dozen exciting settings where I could see playing in.

Ah, the sweet pain.