PDA

View Full Version : Gauging Interest: [Pathfinder] Age of Worms Thursdays {22:00 UTC-5}

Artrem
March 4th, 2015, 07:43
CURRENTLY FULL

Game Calendar Link: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1361

Game System: Pathfinder
Rulebooks: Pathfinder Core Rulebook (Only)
License Required: None, I have the Ultimate license

What: Age of Worms Campaign (converted to pathfinder)
When: Thursdays 11:00pm EDT (-5 GMT)
Duration: [Plan for 4 hour game sessions]
Communication: Teamspeak with headset(play as well as out of character)
Anticipated Start Date: March 19th
Players (Approved/Total):3/4

Roleplay/Combat: 25%/75%
Character Creation: 20 point-buy (no stats above 18/below 7 with racial modifiers)
Character Races Allowed: All core only
Character Classes Allowed: All core and archetypes, no classes from other books
Character Alignment Allowed: Any non-evil
Character Starting HP: Max at first level, each level rolled, may reroll first attempt if less that 50% of HD
Character Starting Gold: Max listed for class (see below)
Character Traits: 2 traits or 3 traits with 1 drawback
Character Starting Level: 1

GM Experience: Been out of role playing for several years and just getting back to playing (D&D, AD&D, 3.5). First time using pathfinder rules and I am sure I am still rusty on GM'ing. I am always open to suggestions to improve our game.
GM's FG Experience: Been messing around for the past year with FG building modules and have GM'ed a few one-on-one games. Still learning some of the obscure nuances, but feel comfortable with program and it's shortcuts.
Player Experience: New and experienced fantasy grounds and pathfinder players are welcome. I am still learning Pathfinder system, so there will be bumps in the beginning. All I ask is that you're respectful to everyone involved and willing to grow with us as a group and have fun.

Gamestyle:
--#1 goal is to have fun and make the players the heroes. I am always open to suggestions to improve gameplay.
--This will have dungeon crawl characteristics. The group will ultimately determine the goals and type of gamestyle.

Rule Play: will be followed as closely as possible, however, will not hold up gameplay. They are considered to be guidelines. We are here to have fun and keep the story going. If rule is debated, will be adjudicated and discussed after the session.
Campaign Materials: This campaign will be based off of Dungeon Magazine adventure placed in Forgotten Realms, it will have some modifications to the monsters, storylines, but I ask that you do not meta game the adventures in the campaign. Obviously ruins the fun for you as well as the party.
GM RL obligations: As GM, I have a job that requires swing shifts (I do not have a set schedule of days [IE: M-F] or times [IE: 9-5pm] that I always have off. However, I do know my schedule 2 months in advance at all times). This means that the game may not be played every week on Thursday, but will try to be as consistent as work allows. If everyone involved is available on a different day of the week, I am open for changing the day of the week for that week.
Missing Players: The game will go on if you are not available, if we have a quorum ( 50% of players present). Your character will be played by another player, but we will do our best to keep your character true to how you play him/her.
Dice Rolls: NPC/Mob attack and damage rolls will all be visual during combat.
Deaths: Character deaths may occur. If they do, another character of party level can be created and will be inserted into the campaign when time is suitable. If it occurs in middle of session, a backup character can be inserted when it fits the story. However, the game is about the players, you all are the heroes. I will not try to kill the players just because I am the GM.
Classes: We do not need the 'holy trinity' or 'four square' of characters (fighter, thief, healer, caster) in our party. If we don't have one type of class, the game will go on. I will work through the campaign knowing, that that type of class is not available. So, you don't have to be the rogue because there is no rogue in your party.
Starting Gear: Anything within core rulebook. You can use masterwork items as well. Any magical items will need GM approval.
Background: I recommend a character background being created prior to the first gaming session. This not only makes the gaming event more enjoyable, but also helps integrate your PC into the world. If you send this to me prior to gaming session, you will get an additional 100 gp for every paragraph (5 sentences or more) up to 500 gp maximum. This is to reward your time put into creation. I like to weave your backgrounds into the game. Feel free to interweave your backgrounds with other players as well.

I look forward to the comments and the fun gameplay to be had by all in the group. Feel free to PM or reply if you are interested.

Artrem

Tyhrus
March 5th, 2015, 06:21
I'm very interested in playing, however I'm not very experienced. I've been looking to get into P&P games for a while now, but live in an area where it's difficult to put together a consistent gaming group. I've played a few sessions of D&D 3.5 and a few sessions of All Flesh Must Be Eaten. I have the PF CRB, but have not had the opportunity to play it as of yet. As for availability, I'm literally down for whatever. I have three characters made up already that I can re-do attributes on (a Sorc, Monk, and Barb), but am willing to try out whatever the party wants/needs.

JerryRig
March 5th, 2015, 22:07
Will you be using this module with the world in pathfinder or something like Forgotten Realms but with Pathfinder ruleset?
It was not clear what the starting level was ...though the calender suggests it has a starting of level 1?
I do not own the core rulebook itself. I tend to use D20pfsrd (https://www.d20pfsrd.com) for making characters and guidance. I cannot tell what the core rules are regarding traits (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits) so are we allowed 2 traits under core rules?

I have in mind too make an elven bard.

xzenarcade
March 5th, 2015, 22:21
Hello, I'm interested in joining as well.

In reply to JerryRig, I believe you can take up to 3 traits if you also take a drawback for your character.

Tyhrus
March 5th, 2015, 22:37
I don't believe traits/drawbacks were introduced in the CRB (believe they were a feature added in the Advanced Player's Guide). However, if the GM could weigh in on whether that system would be available for us to use, I'd be interested in using traits/drawbacks to create my potential character as well.

Artrem
March 6th, 2015, 01:04
Thanks for the quick replies on playing, was much faster than I figured it would take to get almost a full group.

@Tyhrus: Welcome aboard! We'll work out the bumps as we go. I suggest playing whatever character class that interests you the most and will be the most enjoyable. As I stated above, I'll tailor the campaign with the group's classes in mind.

@JerryRig: We will be starting play at level 1 and will play this through the world of Forgotten Realms (unless the group has a strong preference for pathfinder). The conversion to forgotten realms will be for lore, gods, and locations. Other world specifics I'm happy to work with the group. As for the core rules, d20pfsrd is fine, if there is anything that is from something else, happy to discuss it with you when I see it. As for traits, I have no problem with using traits, let's do 2 traits for each character, and may have 3 traits, but must take a drawback as well.

@xzenarcade: Happy to have you along as well, please feel free post any questions that you have about the campaign if still unsure.

I am willing to log in on TS and fantasy grounds on next week to meet members, discuss characters and specifics.

Finally, I am setting up a pdf with the background information about the town and several key players from the town that we will be starting in for this campaign. I will have it to you by Sunday (3 days). I feel that if one or more players are from the actual town, this would lead to several interesting tie ins to the story as well as some great roleplaying opportunities. If you're interested, please drop me a line.

Finally, we are still looking for 1-2 players to fill the group. Start date will be as originally planned.

Looking forward to a great campaign!

JerryRig
March 6th, 2015, 01:05
I'm on FG TS server and usually visit it a couple times a day if I don't hang out there while tinkering with other things on my computer.

JerryRig
March 6th, 2015, 01:15
Will try and work in a storyline with the local theme when you make it known.

Artrem
March 6th, 2015, 01:18
Thanks for the quick replies on playing, was much faster than I figured it would take to get almost a full group.

Tyhrus: Welcome aboard! We'll work out the bumps as we go. I suggest playing whatever character class that interests you the most and will be the most enjoyable. As I stated above, I'll tailor the campaign with the group's classes in mind.

JerryRig: Elven bard sounds good. Glad to have ya playing. We will be starting play at level 1 and will play this through the world of Forgotten Realms (unless the group has a strong preference for pathfinder). The conversion to forgotten realms will be for lore, gods, and locations. Other world specifics I'm happy to work with the group. As for the core rules, d20pfsrd is fine, if there is anything that is from something else, happy to discuss it with you when I see it. As for traits, I have no problem with using traits, let's do 2 traits for each character, and may have 3 traits, but must take a drawback as well.

xzenarcade: Happy to have you along as well, please feel free post any questions that you have about the campaign if still unsure.

I am willing to log in on TS and fantasy grounds on next week to meet members, discuss characters and specifics.

Finally, I am setting up a pdf with the background information about the town and several key players from the town that we will be starting in for this campaign. I will have it to you by Sunday (3 days). I feel that if one or more players are from the actual town, this would lead to several interesting tie ins to the story as well as some great roleplaying opportunities. If you're interested, please drop me a line.

Finally, we are still looking for 1-2 players to fill the group. Start date will be as originally planned.

Looking forward to a great campaign!

[Sorry for the delay, had issue posting due to putting 'at' signs in my reply. Took me a long time to figure that out]

Trenloe
March 6th, 2015, 01:21
Ah, so you've realised that the (at) signs in your previous entries were requiring the post to be moderated... I'd just approved one of the previous posts too! :)

Artrem
March 6th, 2015, 02:34
Lol, yea took be a little searching until I found a post by damned in the PAR5E thread with the at sign in his post and someone saying they couldn't post like him due to needing moderation. Then it hit me like a brick! Funny how the brain connects the dots. Sorry for all the posts that were waiting moderation :)

JerryRig: Sounds great, at work now, but will get the background to you soon.

xzenarcade
March 6th, 2015, 03:11
Does "Core" mean just the core rulebook, or is the Advanced Player's Guide count as well? If not thats fine, those are the only two Pathfinder books I have.

Also, just want to let you know that I only have experience with roll20 so far, I've yet to use FG for actually playing. Watching tutorials now.

Trenloe
March 6th, 2015, 03:12
Once you get about 7 or 8 posts (not sure what the exact number is) posts with (at) signs or web links won't go to moderation. We don't trust you for the first few posts! ;)

Artrem
March 6th, 2015, 03:31
xzenarcade: When I placed core, the plan is for using core rulebook only at this time. The traits can be found on d20pfsrd.com as well as drawbacks. As for fantasy grounds, don't sweat it too much, we'll work through any issues and I am more than happy to help ya out. The tutorials are really good as well.

Trenloe: Good to know, thanks! Now that I know that, I'll be able to avoid using them.

Also, if you like to use pcgen or hero lab to create your character, I'm happy to import in the xml files for you into the campaign. Otherwise, we can work on it some night this weekend or next week over TS and on the FG server.

xzenarcade
March 6th, 2015, 03:42
I normally use Mythweavers to create a character sheet. I can post the link to the sheet once I'm finished. Are we using a buy system for ability scores or a standard roll? Let me know if you can't work with mythweavers, and I can try using of the websites you mentioned.

Artrem
March 6th, 2015, 03:58
Myth weavers works as well, use whatever you're comfortable using. Plan for point buy which is detailed in the the original post, following pathfinders standard point system.

Tyhrus
March 6th, 2015, 04:11
Thanks for having me! Really excited to get things going, as I've been waiting to play Pathfinder for a long time. I've got a Barbarian made up. Waiting to purchase equipment until we can meet as a group. In the mean time, I'm going to start work on the skeleton of my character background. Will flesh it out with details from campaign and -- perhaps -- other characters as soon as we have more information available.

Bashido2
March 6th, 2015, 13:57
Hey, what difficulty is age of worms, and is it still 1 spot left?
Also ill look for Core only traits but it seems to be a mess to look for.

I usually play wizard.
One issue is the "Arcane Discoveries" for wizard bonus feats, in particular "Immortality" the lv 20 arcane discovery which im interested in.
From the "Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate Magic" Book.

JerryRig
March 6th, 2015, 18:19
One issue is the "Arcane Discoveries" for wizard bonus feats, in particular "Immortality" the lv 20 arcane discovery which im interested in.

I hope we make it too 20th ...lol

Artrem
March 6th, 2015, 21:23
Bashido2: it's not overly tough, but definitely has a little of everything. the plan is for completion of campaign which is level 20+.

Tyhrus: barbarian sounds good. Definitely work on the skeleton and we will touch base with the background. I am also very excited and can't wait to get started as well.

As for traits, it is difficult to differentiate. So, let's have you tentatively take any trait and I can adjudicate if it is not appropriate and we can work on something.

I am off work in an couple of hours, I plan on finishing background info tonight.

Another player is not on the forums is most likely going to play a cleric. Will update when he has finalized.

xKrisx
March 6th, 2015, 22:19
I'm interested in this. Getting back into PF and D&D recently and have been wanting to join. I have a room mate that would join.
I'd play a Paladin or Cleric or Fighter/Mage. Think he'll play a rogue. He's new to PF and I played a few times before on Fg. Let me know if you'd consider us.

Artrem
March 7th, 2015, 05:14
Well, the group filled very quickly. Faster than I ever expected to be honest. Sorry to Bashido2 and xKrisx, thanks for the interest in the campaign, and if something comes up or someone drops out, I will send you a message if you are still interested.

For the current members, check your private messages please as I will probably communicate most information through that method currently. Tentative plan for this Thursday (22:00) for meet & greet, work out final background details, and character builds on the server and on TS. We will then play our first session on the following Thursday. I will be on throughout the week as well if you want to get additional information, just find me on TS or private message me. Background information should be available tomorrow night for your characters.

NaomiLynn
March 7th, 2015, 19:06
Im interested in this if there is a spot. i already have a character and he just needs one more chronicle to be level 2.

JerryRig
March 7th, 2015, 23:00
Naomi ..this is not a pathfinder society game. It is also a filled game. sorry

JerryRig
March 12th, 2015, 00:20
Here is my bard for your review. I will work on more of his back story of what made him what he is and what his vision is in life and post it here.

Artrem
March 12th, 2015, 01:21
Thanks JerryRig for posting your character. Looks great, can't wait to hear the back story. The question is, do we have you actually sing :) instead of doing skill checks? You're probably a Grammy winner in disguise playing pen and paper. I look forward to see how Bose will use his bardic abilities in the future.

JerryRig
March 12th, 2015, 05:59
I'm hoping my perform skill helps out in some venue's to substitute for some skills ...let the rest of our team focus on their classes and worry about skill ranks last in misc stuff like knowledge.

xKrisx
March 12th, 2015, 15:03
Yes I'm still very interested, if someone does drop out or can't make it I could fill in on a night or something if that works as well.
Just PM me.

JerryRig
March 12th, 2015, 17:00
I say build your characters according to the guidance provided by the DM ...post your character here and see if we have room for you when everything gets going. Life happens ....better to be ready in the wings. Your being new to pathfinder is not a negative ...its actually helpful sometimes as you learn as you go versus trying to point out the way things "should be" from your experience.

Artrem
March 12th, 2015, 21:17
I couldn't agree with JerryRig's advice more, build a character and be ready. Things can definitely happen in the future. If something comes up I will let ya know.

Thanks as well for the interest in the campaign. We have several new people to pathfinder in the campaign, so it's not a negative at all.

xKrisx
March 12th, 2015, 22:37
Here is my Cleric and Paladin with backgrounds just in case you open it up for more.

xKrisx
March 12th, 2015, 22:48
I couldn't agree with JerryRig's advice more, build a character and be ready. Things can definitely happen in the future. If something comes up I will let ya know.

Thanks as well for the interest in the campaign. We have several new people to pathfinder in the campaign, so it's not a negative at all.

And yeah, I got his pm, so I did that, and you can look at them and give me some Ideas maybe or if I need to change some things. I posted them above. :)

Artrem
March 13th, 2015, 15:47
Great first session for meet & greet as well as roleplaying.

There's nothing like a bard singing to put a mark to sleep, so the sorcerer and bard can pick his pockets, only to have the mark send inept thugs to try to take it back. The half-orc barbarian being mesmerized with the blue monster contortionist on the bar stage. At the same time, the paladin is skeptical of elven female looking for history of long lost gods while the drunken cleric is free-loading drinks off everyone he can find. Only to end, with the group trying to sneak around near the house when someone steps on a loud squeaking step and the half drunk cleric producing light to completely ruin their surprise.

What a fun pre/first session. Can't wait to see how these unlikely friends will tackle the challenges ahead. Thanks for everyone showing up and see you next week.

JerryRig
March 13th, 2015, 17:08
Well the Evening was filled with laughs and merriment ...and maybe a little bit of boozing it up. We discovered some interesting tales of empty mines and some not to kind employers who like they're profits more than their employee's. I fine elven lass sat and drank spirits and quickly found our band joining her table to help the lass out in consuming some fine spirits. A blundering Half-Orc found himself bumping into folks to much and was forgiven by our most kind and wise companion due to his obvious inability to walk straight. It was quickly discovered it was obviously due to a balance issue he suffered from ...that being an overfilled coin purse. We helped the poor fellow out and even cleaned him up of some note that had been stuck to him fearing he had been tagged for a "KICK ME" prank...but to our relief it was an innocent mistake of placement and we saw fit to try to find and return the note too its original owner. As we left the pub and made our way to find this note-maker we were greeted by some of the Half-orc's companions. They greeted us but felt that their Half-orc companion should not have been relieved of his balance issues without a consultation. His companions obviously did not have his best interests at heart as we did! After a short session of "heated negotiation" they felt they should return to the Half-orc with the a reply gift and a message of thanks.

The merry band had to head out and left two gift wrapped (white elephant) tokens of appreciation for the brief visit for all to know our calling to give back to the community. Bose continues on too their rendezvous with fortune, his new band "The Vigilantes" providing entertainment and creating new stories to be shared at many a shanty or fine inn.

Who will this bard band next be able to entertain?

Where can we they go to provide their community more aid and achieve profitable deeds?

Be-warned you stalkers of the shadow's and alleyways, those who would seek profit from the weak. We will liberate you of your misdeeds and ill gotten gains to re-distribute the wealth back to those who seek good fortunes and peaceful lives of their communities. We know that they will sleep better each night knowing there are others out their ensuring they live more prosperous lives.

xzenarcade
March 13th, 2015, 18:51
This is why I find pen and paper rpgs so much more entertaining than the video game versions. Great job rolling with our shenanigans Artrem. It was easily one of the most memorable sessions I've had since coming back to pnp. Very refreshing after my experiences with 4e basically devolved to little more than a miniatures board game.

Looking forward to thursday's session :)

xKrisx
March 13th, 2015, 23:36
Thanks a lot for letting me roll with you guys, and it was indeed a lot of fun. I'm liking the group it seems like it could get a little crazy. But as long as the bard keeps playing those sweet rifts, I'll charge vigorously and vengefully into battle screaming war chants of my god. Pillaging evil dens and righting the evil in the land is what I do. Overall good learning experience for myself and a really friendly group. I'm looking forward to next weeks campaign, as it left on a cliff hanger. Dun dun dun..

Looking forward to a wicked awesome campaign. :D

xKrisx
March 19th, 2015, 19:43
Game night tonight?

xzenarcade
March 19th, 2015, 20:12
I hope so, I finally got a token image for Cormyr.

Artrem
March 19th, 2015, 20:58
Yep, gaming tonight. Will have the server up and running at 9pm EST if anyone needs to log in and tweak their character sheets, etc. Otherwise, we'll be starting at the normal time listed on game calendar.

xKrisx
March 20th, 2015, 00:49
Okay, and I saw a vote for playing Fri, Mar 20th 03:00 AM? What's up with that?

Artrem
March 20th, 2015, 02:25
Your timezone is set to 0 GMT, so it would list the game as Friday. If from the EST in the US, (I believe you are) then you'll want to set it for your timezone to -5 GMT (if EST). Game is in 90 minutes.

Artrem
March 17th, 2016, 01:14
This is a follow up post about our gaming sessions. We have continued to fight through the Age of Worms for the past year and are still going strong. We have played almost every Thursday night for 4 hour sessions and have progressed to level 18. We are almost at the epic end to the adventure campaign. Our group has stayed strong since the beginning with losing only one player to real life work issues and quickly gaining another player in his place. There has been many laughs and 'oops' moments as well as 'oh @#$' moments over the past year, but generally the party has done exceptionally well.

The end is near however and I wanted to say happy one year anniversary to the group and the great players that we have in our group. (xkrisx (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?25265-xKrisx), JerryRig (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?24810-JerryRig), xzenarcade (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?18686-xzenarcade), Nate Grey (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?35129-Nate-Grey), Ryker (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?32169-ryker)).

Thanks guys for so many memorable moments and enduring my constant attempts on trying to kill your characters. Not to mention, tolerating the fast talking gnome of Waterdeep!

I recommend anyone looking to play or form a group to pick up the reigns and just jump in! I know there are several posts about this, but here is another example of the great success that can occur. I wanted to DM but didn't know pathfinder rules that well. I put up a post on the forums and the group quickly filled and we've been going ever since. I have created great friendships with the players and we've had a blast! So, as has been said many times, you can get great groups via posting on the forums!

JerryRig
March 18th, 2016, 01:18
We made it a year? It's been going so smooth and enjoyable that it's going to be hard to come to the end of the campaign. I think we need to throw a party at someone's place and everyone fly in and camp in the yard and play our last game around a picnic table :p