PDA

View Full Version : New License looking for a developer

ddavison
March 1st, 2015, 14:22
Hey guys and gals,

We have been contacted by General Manager of Prometheus Games, a German pen & paper RPG publisher. They have the official license for Savage Worlds in Germany, but they also develop other RPG games, such as Packs!, where the player can take the role of a rat in an abandoned department store.

They would like to bring Packs! into the VTT world in both German and English and would also like to work with someone to produce German versions of their Savage Worlds conversion. Do you think you would be a good fit for this work? If so, please send an email to [email protected] and we can discuss it further. As a licensed developer, you would basically be set up as with a 15% commission on all sales of those products.

Read more about the company here:
https://www.prometheus-rpg.com/

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/003/278/779/2611cc556b546702c2147774be525361_large.png?1423819 534

-Doug

AstaSyneri
March 2nd, 2015, 10:41
Seeing this as an even more Niche of a Niche product than All for One - Régime Diabolique, is Prometheus willing to forfeit the first X sales in favor of the developer? I am German (hence both versions would be possible) _and_ looking for more conversions to do, but I am very hesitant about this one. The chances that I'd be working dozens of hours for a grand total of 1,50€ seem to be pretty high. :(

Is there any way to shift the economics on this?

Mask_of_winter
March 2nd, 2015, 11:22
It's 15% off of every sale. But your numbers won't be too far off anyway lol. I don't think anybody is doing this kinda work for Smiteworks expecting to make good money. I know I didn't, that's why I wasn't disapointed. I did it for the love of the hobby.

AstaSyneri
March 2nd, 2015, 11:30
It's 15% off of every sale. But your numbers won't be too far off anyway lol. I don't think anybody is doing this kinda work for Smiteworks expecting to make good money. I know I didn't, that's why I wasn't disapointed. I did it for the love of the hobby.

Yes, absolutely. And I don't mind that for settings that are interesting (to me). This one is very different from those settings, though (I guess I am somewhat a traditionalist ;-)). Maybe there is an opportunity to get the FG conversion into the Kickstarter as an update / option, raising awareness for FG and showing a bit of how much this is "needed".

ddavison
March 2nd, 2015, 14:34
It's all driven by sales. As you probably know, most RPG developers, companies and contractors are rarely ever able to do things full time. If this is the sort of work you enjoy doing, then I'd say go for it. If you don't enjoy the work, then no amount of shifting payment up in advance is probably going to satisfy you either. There simply isn't much money in this industry once you get into the niche market - unless people choose to buy and support those efforts.

A pre-sale effort might work. It seems like other competitors have had more luck doing that for conversion work rather than doing the work and looking for people to buy it afterward. Perhaps it's the thought that "if we can't guarantee X in sales for this product, it's not going to happen."

AstaSyneri
March 3rd, 2015, 10:55
It's the economist in me, I guess, plus a situation with family where time is very valuable (I am sure that applies to lots of others out there, too). ;-)

I do enjoy converting settings (except for those pesky tables :P), but the motivation really depends on the setting. I just can't wrap my head around playing rats (but then Hex TCG has those strange Shin'Hare bunnies which I like, so maybe the step isn't that far).