PDA

View Full Version : Start up Fantasy Grounds without loading licence?

lbealsjr
February 26th, 2015, 21:05
Anyway to start FG, like with a command line switch, and not load the licence details so that the program looks likes a demo copy?

Tried /? and /help switch from the command line and it just started up the program.

Reason - I want to be able to use my laptop to run an instance of FG and connect it to my desktop so I can have a player on the laptop during a game. Every once in a while the GF is up at my house during gaming time instead of her place. Right now I get a licence conflict error when I try to connect to the desktop running FG Ultimate over the LAN.

thanks

Bear

damned
February 26th, 2015, 21:24
I think you have to go into settings and remove the license.

Trenloe
February 26th, 2015, 21:28
I'm not aware of a way to start FG like that. You'll have to go into settings, remove the license and run an update so that the unlicensed client is downloaded. Then do the reverse after - go to settings, add your license and run and update.

lbealsjr
February 26th, 2015, 23:55
Thanks. That is what I have been doing. Just wish there was a quicker way. Might play around with Wine and building a FG instance just for that use.

Thanks again.
Lawrence

Mirloc
February 27th, 2015, 00:05
There is a quicker way. Copy the install of FG2 to an external drive or thumb drive and remove the license from the thumbdrive version. Now you have a demo copy and a licensed copy running.

Trenloe
February 27th, 2015, 00:54
There is a quicker way. Copy the install of FG2 to an external drive or thumb drive and remove the license from the thumbdrive version. Now you have a demo copy and a licensed copy running.
The issue is that the license info (and install and data directories) is stored in the registry, not in the actual installation directory. So, it would be very easy to get things messed up as both the free and ultimate install would be sharing, and writing to, the same registry. If you thoroughly understand how Windows directories and registries work then you could probably get away with it, including exporting registries and re-importing them as required. But, as soon as you did an update (which you'll want to do at some point) you'd have to sort it all out again. It's certainly possible, but probably more hassle than just changing the licence key and running an update when you need to change from free to ultimate and vice versa.

If you want to pursue this, there are some instructions here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19345-Installing-both-2-x-and-3-x-on-the-same-machine&p=154450&viewfull=1#post154450 This was originally for people wanting to try the development version of FG 3.0, but still keep the 2.9 live version; but the same principles apply - except you'd be keeping the same data directory.

dulux-oz
February 27th, 2015, 01:14
You could always use a Virtual Machine to have a copy of Demo FG - Openbox is a good, free VM.

Cheers