PDA

View Full Version : I am Looking for people to play-test my own system, Lands of Lin!

Sofetios
February 25th, 2015, 21:00
Hello!

As the title states, I am looking for people to play-test my RPG System, Lands of Lin. The playtest will be on 3/2 at 5:00 PM EST.

Lands of Lin is a game made in a game world where everything, the air, water, plants, yourself, and even thoughts, are made of a base substance called Lin. Though water is still made of water, it is made of Lin also, and so on and so on. Now, players and people in general in the game world have a way of manipulating the Lin. This encompasses seven main Lin skills, they are Lin Mending, Lin Creation, Lin Force, Lin Feeling, Lin Chronomancy, Lin Elements, and Lin Illusion.

A Large part of this game is Improvisation. Say an enemy has armor too thick for you to penetrate. You will need to find something or some way to attack him. Whether it be through Lin, or a bigger sword (perhaps by using Lin Creation). Generally more armored foes are slower. Use that to your advantage. You have to think in this game. So be creative.

Lin Skills

Lin skills are managed by Lin Points, which is a pool of Lin in which you can use Lin Skills from. Lin points reset after an in-game 6 hour rest. Everything living in Lands of Lin has an aura. You can only use Lin inside another living thing’s aura if you are using Lin Feeling, otherwise you can only use lin inside another living things aura if they allow you to without them being influenced by Lin. (basically you can’t use Lin feeling to make someone want you to use Lin in their aura.) All things you do with Lin while out of combat cost half what they would while in combat.

Lin Mending is your ability to fix things that are broken. This can be anything from mending someone who is hurt, to re-attaching a branch to a tree. You cannot fix things that weren’t originally together and are similar. Say a nail falls off a board. Lin mending would not apply because the board and the nail are not the same at all. Some instances where you would use Lin Mending is when you are mending a wound, un-collapsing a cave, and basically making things that are broken and of the same type whole again.

Lin creation is using your own Lin, which every person has, to make Lin objects out of nothing. Some examples of this would be making sword out of your Lin, or maybe you know the design of a key from a diagram, and you make the key appear from memory. You are making the objects literally out of Lin, kind of like making something out of energy. Anything your character can imagine that would have to do with that you can do. Lin creation points are deducted by size, complexity, and properties. You need the knowledge of what you are doing in character to be able to do it with lin. What I mean is say you come up to a locked door. You couldn’t just say, “I create a key to fit the door!”. That wouldn’t work because you need the knowledge of what the key looks like to make the key. Some basic examples of this would be making a sword, creating an arrow for a bow, creating a bow for the arrow, etc. You can give things you create properties. Properties do not include things like something you make being flammable. It is more along the lines of if its rough, bumpy, smooth, etc.

Lin Force is everything to do with moving and levitating things. Some basic examples of this would be guiding an arrow, making a rock float, or levitating two daggers to fight with. The points deducted for this go by the amount of force you are using. This also has to do with manipulating things physically. Some basic examples of this would be molding a small rock into a shape or breaking something in half with Lin. You can also use Lin force to knock things back squares or add force to your attacks.

Lin Feeling has to do with controlling something mind and sense of touch. Some basic examples of this would be causing something pain when nothing to cause the pain is happening or causing a fire to seem cold. You can even make the target feel completely normal when they are on fire. The more potent the effect, the more points used. Mind control is possible with this skill, though very costly to do in most cases. To control something’s mind, you need to have equal or higher mind then it. And you need to use Lin equivalent to their mind times 5 per combat round.

Lin Chronomancy is the manipulation of time. Some basic examples of this would be making you go faster, stopping something in motion for a short time, or even making something go backwards in motion. Points for Lin Chronomancy are deducted by one field which is size, then one of two fields, which are speeding time up for something, and stopping/reversing time for something. You can also use Lin Chronomancy to see back in time or mix use it with other Lin skills. For example, you can use Lin Chronomancy and Lin feeling together to tell who touched a certain object back in time or even in the future. Also, this doesn't mean that when you use this you skip forward in time or backward in time. you are simply moving faster or slower.

Lin Illusion is basically making illusionary things happen that have to do with the senses other than touch. Some basic examples of this could be making an illusionary wall in front of someone, causing someone to hear or see something not really there, making poisoned and rotting food look, smell, and taste appealing, making a room light or dark, or making an illusionary clone of yourself next to you. Points for Lin Illusion are deducted by size and complexity.

Lin Elements is using elemental forces such as heat or fire, electricity, and cold. Some examples of this would be burning something, electrocuting a river, freezing someone solid in a pool of water.

Things you do with Lin Mending, Lin Force, and some things with Lin Elements are permanent. This does not mean you can make ice stay ice and not melt, unless you are using Lin to sustain it. There is custom character creation. Which means you build your character with a set amount of points to distribute in various things based on what you want your character to do. You could be anything from a tank with high lin creation to let you make massive weapons or a mage who can freeze enemies still for a time, to about anything else you can think of. The bigger the effect you are trying to do the more points you'll need.

You likely will not be using more than 2-3 Lin skills per character, else your characters Lin skills will be underpowered.

That's is for the lin skills.

I am new to fantasy grounds. So the first time we play will likely have me making mistakes and errors. Also, I am not a professional GM or anything like that. We will be using premade character sheets for the first test game (or I can teach you how to create them if that is what you all want to do.) , Which has a ranged character, Tank, Mage, Healer, Basic character, and one other. You will be able to choose which one you want to be. After the first test game, there may be a second test game to get things worked out. If things are going ok during the first test game I will likely start a campaign where you will make your own characters. Also, we will just be using CoreRPG.

I will explain the rest of the game if you decide to join! So Send me a PM! This game is also on the game calendar.

Nickademus
February 26th, 2015, 05:04
Perhaps deciding on a day and time for the playtest sessions would better allow people to determine if they can help.

Sofetios
February 26th, 2015, 14:33
Ah good point. I'll make the play-test for 5:00 PM EST tonight. (2/26)

Trenloe
February 26th, 2015, 17:42
A further recommendation would be to post this in the Game Calendar - this allows people to "apply" and vote on session times, which are adjusted to the time zone of the user (very, very handy in working out what the local time is for each player).

Also, you might want to give a bit more than 8 hours notice - you may pick up the odd person with short notice, but you'd be better offering sessions with a bit more notice. The Fantasy Grounds community isn't used to scanning the forums for games going off with short notice, so don't be discouraged if you don't get many people joining your session today.

Sofetios
February 26th, 2015, 18:24
I see. I'll give the calendar a go then.

Nickademus
February 26th, 2015, 21:36
Also, since this is a playtest, it might be encouraging to let potential players know how many sessions you think it will go for. Some playtests are a single session, some are a few, and some run as long as a real game.

Sofetios
February 27th, 2015, 19:12
I unfortunately must reschedule the playtest to be on Monday, due to me bring sick at the moment. I'm sorry if this inconveniences anyone. It will be at the same time as before.