PDA

View Full Version : How to setup a "Grappled" effect with a save ends

bluedreamer
February 24th, 2015, 06:22
Hi,

Just wondering how to setup a Grappled effect with a SAVE ENDS on a STR 13 DC?

Any idea's tried lots of random stuff that isn't working

TIA

Zacchaeus
February 24th, 2015, 19:20
I don't think you can do this. Grappled is not an effect which is recognised by FG so you would have to set that up using an extension such as this https://https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22975-5E-Community-extensions. You could then use that in an IF statement to do stuff. Unfortunately you cannot use that to force a Save. This is one of these things which you would have to do manually I'm afraid.

bluedreamer
February 24th, 2015, 19:28
I noticed Grappled is not in the official list of effect but I was trying things like
SAVE: 13 STR
SAVE: 13 strength

Couldn't get FG to do the auto roll though - I know FG is very fussy about format/grammar of an effect

Trenloe
February 24th, 2015, 19:50
Effects "effect" the result of a roll - they only trigger their effect when a roll is made; they don't trigger rolls (other than DMGO (ongoing damage) and REGEN (regeneration)).

SAVE is used to adjust the result of a roll of a saving throw with either a numerical or die modifier, not to trigger the actual saving throw.

bluedreamer
February 24th, 2015, 19:59
Is there a way to trigger a saving throw - as there is in 4e FG - would be similar to rolling a death save on end-of-turn?

Trenloe
February 24th, 2015, 20:04
Is there a way to trigger a saving throw - as there is in 4e FG - would be similar to rolling a death save on end-of-turn?
The death save is built into the LUA code of the 5E ruleset. There is not a way to setup/trigger saving throws through effects. The LUA code of the ruleset would have to be modified to do this.

Griogre
February 25th, 2015, 01:49
You could, of course, set Grapple up as an at will spell, and have the player cast Grapple.

Zacchaeus
February 25th, 2015, 10:36
Quite an elegant solution Griogre.

bluedreamer
February 26th, 2015, 17:10
Agree. I like that solution

Griogre
February 27th, 2015, 19:51
Glad you liked it. :) I've found you can use actions to kinda fill the gaps in special cases.

Torgaard
March 4th, 2015, 05:12
The only problem there would be that Grapple is a contested Skill check, so it technically needs to be Athletics vs Athletics (or Acrobatics). Which isn't quite the same thing as Strength vs Strength. Which is a bummer, cuz I really wish this would work.

Example: While an NPC 'Gladiator' (p.345 MM) is listed as having an 18 Strength with a +4 bonus, he also lists Athletics +10 in his Skills stat block. So while the table could be setup to kick off a Strength Save for the NPC, coming from the player's attack (well, a sort of fake power in this case), and you could even adjust bonuses on the power you're basically creating to account for the player's Athletics proficiency bonus of +2 (assuming he had it), unfortunately you can't get the correct automation to handle the correct bonuses if the NPC has the Athletics skill. This best you could do is kick off the NPC's Strength.

BUT! The table does handle the whole keyword formatty thing-a-me-jobbie programmy whats-its (that was a bunch of technical terms that's probably way over your heads, so don't be embarrassed if you don't understand them) so that you can open the NPC's monster card and just double-click his 'Athletics +10' entry in his Skills list, and it WILL roll. So there is that. Which helps! Though your next encounter with 15 guys, where your Rogue is trying to sneak past the barracks door, and you have to roll 15 separate Perception +4 checks is gonna involve some clickin'.

Which brings me to this: I keep running into it this kinda thing repeatedly - like every session. Certainly every fight. Almost every round. Why? Well, the title of this thread says it all: Grapple. Grapple and Shove are frequent offenders. You get somebody that's goin' with a Monk or a Fighter (or whatever) theme, whose thing is to Grapple guys alot, or move them around the battlefield a little, and you've got some clickin' and searchin' to do. Grapple, Shove, and Tumble (DMG variant rule) are the big ones for me. But it'd also help out with some mainstays of regular play - which again, are rolled who knows how many times in a session. Things like Stealth (vs Perception), or something my players are constantly doing in non-combat situations: Deception vs Insight or Persuasion vs Insight.

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely understand there's a line between having the table automate everything as opposed to just picking up a die and rolling it. It's just kind of a bummer. It'd be fuggin' sweet if my Rogue in the aforementioned example could be the one to kick off those fifteen Perception +4 checks, by setting up a power like Griogre mentioned. Drag a targeting box over 'em, click a button... done.

Zacchaeus
March 6th, 2015, 14:21
Since you are the DM, and have the ultimate power, you could forgo the 15 checks and just decide to make it one check. In fact a stealth check doesn't appear to me to be an opposed check. The PHB doesn't explicitly say it is. If on the other hand you are trying to hide (which isn't the same as sneaking) then that would be an opposed check provided that the beasties are actively seeking the PC (p177 PHB). So implicit in that is that if the beasties are not searching then it would be an unopposed check.

As regards the Grapple thing then you are just unfortunate I feel, in that your players like this sort of thing. Mine tend to just hit things with the biggest stick they can find and ask questions later. :)

For the other opposed checks you mentioned I don't, to be honest, see these as being too onerous. I suppose it kinda depends on how much preparation you do. I tend to have all those figures written into the story if the PCs are likely to be making persuade checks so that I don't need to scramble around to find them. The PC just makes a dice roll using whatever skill into the dice tower and I compare it to what I have in the story text. Again, I suppose, it depends on how story or combat heavy your campaign is how many such checks are required in a particular session but I find that I only need a couple of opposed checks now and again. Most of the checks that I find I make are all done via the party sheet for things such as passive perception.

jh79
March 10th, 2015, 02:31
You could, of course, set Grapple up as an at will spell, and have the player cast Grapple.

Very nice solution :)