PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder RPG - Player looking for a regular group, preferably a week night.

jscott360
February 24th, 2015, 02:04
Hey folks! I bought the Ultimate License looking to start up a Pathfinder game for a group of friends (Rise of the Runelords). So far, I've been relatively unsuccessful in getting them together. I'm still technically brand new to Fantasy Grounds as I try to figure out how to navigate the software.

While I'm not ready to run a game just yet, I'd like to reach out and see if there are any groups looking for another member. I'd prefer to join a regular group in an on going campaign rather than one-shots with a bunch of strangers each time. I know the importance of having a group that has a good fit, the same mind set towards the hobby, and enjoys the same kind of outcomes. I've played Pathfinder Society, and it lightly scratches an itch, but it's just not what I'm looking for on a regular basis. Many of the problems with society is an overall lack of cohesiveness and random people looking out for themselves first and only.

A little about me -

I like getting into character and creating an interesting persona that meshes well with others.
I want to play with a group of people who also want to support each other.
I don't like "Lone Wolf" characters and actively try to avoid building those and playing with that type of player.
While I enjoy combat, I want a balance of combat, roleplay, and exploration (33%/33%/33%). I generally run my games by those (loosely) defined percentages.
I really enjoy getting into the mystery of a story, figuring out how things come together, and finding creative solutions to problems.
I'm not interested in being told "no" when I have a reasonable request because it's not explicitly stated in any book; as a GM I prefer to say "yes" whenever possible and reasonable.
While I can get into any particular lore, it's the story and opportunity for interesting interactions and developments that keep me hooked and pull me into the game.
I hate, hate, hate metagaming. We're all guilty from one time to another, but I refuse to play with people who make it a habit to metagame every action.
I dislike playing with people who take their characters TOO seriously. It becomes overbearing to the point where I feel uncomfortable. You know what I'm talking about - the people who try and bring LARPing to the table.
I like playing just about any class, and definitely never have a problem rolling a Cleric. However, some of the supplemental material released thus far is decidedly broken. I will not play with Summoners (way too broken). I'd prefer not to play with gunslingers because of the anachronism. And I'd rather not play with Samurai or Ninjas unless it's an eastern flavored campaign.

I'm on the East Coast of the US (EST, GMT-5) and can be available between 6-11pm eastern (3-8 pacific) during the week days. I typically sit down and play with my friends for a gaming session on Saturdays (playing Carrion Crown right now). Sundays are a wild card for me.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I wanted to be honest so I don't waste anyone's time! I already have a Saturday game (on a real table) with my friends, so I'd prefer to play on a week night, but am open to the weekend for the right group. If I sound like I might be a good fit at your (virtual) table or group, please let me know.

JohnD
February 24th, 2015, 03:59
Welcome.

The great thing about FG is, if you can't get your close by friends to jump at the chance to experience gaming goodness via FG, there's a whole world of other people out there clamoring to get involved in a game.

As with all things, it can take a bit of time to find the right group, playing the right style of game for you, at the right frequency, and on the right evenings. Don't give up and be sure to contact DMs in other threads who have posted indicating they are looking for new players.

Also, it can't hurt to be real clear on your availability, right down to what time zone you're in, and the hours you are available (especially important for earliest/latest available considerations where time zones are different across existing groups).

As an aside, I know you are referencing PF specifically, but I'd say don't limit yourself to just that rule set. There are good 3.5e, 4e, 5e and even C&C (my baby) campaigns out there if D&D is your thing.

jscott360
February 24th, 2015, 05:10
I can't believe I didn't think to include my time zone. What a dolt I am sometimes!

Thanks John! I appreciate the welcome and will definitely keep my eyes and ears open for other rule sets.

damned
February 24th, 2015, 05:34
And whilst you are not after one shots FG Con 6 has been announced. Right now its only open for GMs to register their games but we will be opening the Player registration on the 28th of this month. There are 38 sessions listed right now but with 6 weeks still to go we will run over 50 sessions on that long weekend. Its a great opportunity to try different rulesets and meet different people.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/fg-con-6-150-14.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Additionally if you want to watch some short videos (2-7mins each) to get a bit of a leg up on the GM side of the FG Table try these - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsgd1zJLdiKUrEd85Dqr6UcaaLvD7YlJd Poor production quality but easy to digest content.

Welcome aboard!

JohnD
February 24th, 2015, 16:14
One interesting thing about taking part in the occasional "one shot" is that you are exposed to a lot of other players and DMs that way. So your evening of gaming might lead to hearing about another game someone is involved in where a player recently dropped and a replacement would be welcome, or a DM currently playing but planning on starting a campaign in the near future, etc... its a good opportunity to network and through the session you'll identify if there are any others present with whom your style and personality mesh well.

Ellspeth
February 24th, 2015, 21:22
Rogue is offering a Thursday night Pathfinder, a thread or so up, if the time zone works for you it sounds like something good to get started with.

jscott360
March 4th, 2015, 02:20
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll check out Rogue's thread Ellspeth. I'll also look at joining some FG Con games as well.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the more nuanced things that Fantasy Grounds does, such as having to manually input certain abilities and spells. Slowly it's coming to me.