PDA

View Full Version : Location not available

Ixion
February 22nd, 2015, 00:06
To begin with, I am sorry if this has been answered before. I am not very good at searching the archived messages.

I have an ultimate license from Steam and I have been going through the tutorials. After watching some (and they are good!) I figured I would purchase a couple of the pre-made adventures and my group and I would work through the software together. I bought Crow's Rest Island and Crypt of the Sun Lord off of Steam. Steam says the items are purchased and installed. However, when I navigate to FG, I do not see them anywhere on the campaign list. If I click on the folder icon on the main page, I get an error message that says "Location Not Available". It lists the path that it is looking for the files and mentions that they might have been moved. If I create a new campaign and try to select some tokens to load, I get the same error. I have noticed that the Settings button on the main page allows me to set the paths, but I don't have the first clue of what the files may be called to search for them. I don't think I did anything special from Steam. I just downloaded and installed. My current thinking is that if I can find the files, I can correct the paths in the Settings and it should let me play the adventures and import tokens/portraits etc. Am I right? Where should I go from here? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Andraax
February 22nd, 2015, 00:22
Adventures typically are modules that you activate inside a campaign - they don't show up as a separate campaign (indeed, they would be useless if they did that).

damned
February 22nd, 2015, 00:49
Welcome Ixiom,

leave everything default.
go into your campaign and go to Library > Modules.
Activate the module and you will find new tabs in Story, Images, NPCs etc.

Dont be afraid to ask questions.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-9.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Ixion
February 22nd, 2015, 01:09
Good point Andraax.

damned, I checked my Library > Modules in my campaign (3.5 edition). They were not there. I made a second campaign in Pathfinder and they were not there either.

damned
February 22nd, 2015, 01:28
Are you on a Mac?

Ixion
February 22nd, 2015, 01:45
No, I am on a PC.

Trenloe
February 22nd, 2015, 02:00
Welcome Ixion.

Try the following:

Open Fantasy Grounds and on the first screen press the "Settings" button.
At the bottom of the settings window check "Check Steam for DLC".
Press OK and then Update.

This should link through the Steam client installed on your computer, recognise that there is DLC to download and download it through the updater.

damned
February 22nd, 2015, 02:02
Cool - In windows explorer check these locations:
%appdata%\fantasy grounds\modules
%appdata%\fantasy grounds II\modules

If its under the fantasy grounds II\modules folder move it to fantasy grounds\modules
also on that front splash page click on Settings and make sure that Check Steam for DLC is ticked and then ok and then update.

EDIT: Ive just been Trenloe'd.

Ixion
February 22nd, 2015, 02:05
Welcome Ixion.

Try the following:

Open Fantasy Grounds and on the first screen press the "Settings" button.
At the bottom of the settings window check "Check Steam for DLC".
Press OK and then Update.

This should link through the Steam client installed on your computer, recognise that there is DLC to download and download it through the updater.

Perfect. Worked like a charm. I can now access those modules. Any idea why I am getting the "Location not accessible" error I mentioned earlier?

Moon Wizard
February 22nd, 2015, 02:05
The Location Not Available error is coming directly from Windows. The folder button in the launch screen passes the value in the FG Settings for the data folder directly to Windows to ask it to open. If this button does not work and you are running Windows (not Mac or Linux), then the issue probably lies in the fact that the data path is not valid or that FG does not have rights to access that folder. In either case, FG and its updater will have issues writing data files if this is the case.

You can try running FG directly (from Start Menu), and also try running from Start Menu as Administrator. You should also double check that the Data Folder setting in FG is a valid location on your computer.

Regards,
JPG

Ixion
February 23rd, 2015, 15:56
Ok, Moon Wizard. Thank you. That explains that when I look, no such location exists. However, I don't know what to do from there. Should I create the location, or just change the data path? Where would the files be (how can I look for them)?

Ixion
February 23rd, 2015, 16:05
Ok, Moon Wizard. Thank you. That explains that when I look, no such location exists. However, I don't know what to do from there. Should I create the location, or just change the data path? Where would the files be (how can I look for them)?

Ok, solved that problem. I run my computer in a User setting. If I run Fantasy Grounds on the Administrator profile, then there is not a problem. Somehow running FG as a user, even with Administrator access, does not fix the problem. Nevertheless, I think I know what I need to do.

Trenloe
February 23rd, 2015, 16:20
If I run Fantasy Grounds on the Administrator profile, then there is not a problem. Somehow running FG as a user, even with Administrator access, does not fix the problem. Nevertheless, I think I know what I need to do.
It sounds like you originally installed Fantasy Grounds as the Administrator user, but then tried to run it as a different user. FG installs the data directory in the user profile, so changing users can stop you getting access to the FG data.