PDA

View Full Version : Test release v3.0.11

Moon Wizard
February 21st, 2015, 23:29
Note: As always, please make a backup of your FG data folder before updating and opening campaigns with a test release.

This release is a placeholder for adding minor features and bug fixes.

Please see the sticky thread on public testing if you want to be involved. The Test mode slot (available via the FG Settings dialog) contain this version right now.

We're a small company so we rely on our community to help sound out each new release. Thanks in advance to all those who pitch in.

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
February 21st, 2015, 23:29
Updates

[5E/4E/PFRPG/3.5E/CnC] Party sheet group rolls will use value in tabletop modifier box for all rolls, not just first roll.
[5E/PFRPG/3.5E] Damage effects will only inherit damage type of initial damage roll if no damage type specified in damage effect.
[PFRPG] Added base Magic Weapon and Magic Armor entries to magic items module.
[CoreRPG+] Any roll made in Manage Characters mode would generate modifier stack script error. Fixed.
[5E] When attacking with a weapon without proficiency, a PC would incorrectly have disadvantage on the roll. Fixed.
[PFRPG/3.5E] Creature type in NPC Type field not conveying special abilities as expected (i.e. construct nonlethal immunity). Fixed.
[4E] Ability tags in effect text not being handled correctly if modifiers used (+, -, 2, H). Fixed.

JPG

damned
February 21st, 2015, 23:38
Hi JPG - have you had a chance to explore the option of having more than one CoreRPG version available?
Eg - there are several rulesets that are CoreRPG 3.0.10 compatible that the devs may not be able to update to new versions straight away.
If we could have one or more "stable" releases available so that a dev could declare a Ruleset was CoreRPG 3.0.10 compatible but not 3.0.11?
An active Dev could continue to keep the ruleset checked and maintained but a less active Dev might prefer to just ensure it works with a stable/milestone version.
It might mean over time you had 2 or 3 or 4 versions of CoreRPG.
Just a thought....

dulux-oz
February 22nd, 2015, 00:25
Hi JPG - have you had a chance to explore the option of having more than one CoreRPG version available?
Eg - there are several rulesets that are CoreRPG 3.0.10 compatible that the devs may not be able to update to new versions straight away.
If we could have one or more "stable" releases available so that a dev could declare a Ruleset was CoreRPG 3.0.10 compatible but not 3.0.11?
An active Dev could continue to keep the ruleset checked and maintained but a less active Dev might prefer to just ensure it works with a stable/milestone version.
It might mean over time you had 2 or 3 or 4 versions of CoreRPG.
Just a thought....

Actually, that's not a bad idea - I have no idea how you'd go about doing it (I personally keep archive copies of old Rulesets, etc) but I think its worth looking into

Just my $0.02 worth

Cheers

damned
February 22nd, 2015, 00:41
One way - without preempting anything that JPG might decide on this is to actually call your 3.0.10 release CoreRPG3010 and leave the CoreRPG chain continuing until a new stable (not at all suggesting that other release are not stable but I imagine you might not want to keep every version available) point was declared (maybe CoreRPG3015). All the less actively maintained rulesets could be based on CoreRPG3010 instead of CoreRPG and when the dev (or a successor) gets time it can be brought back to CoreRPG or CoreRPG3015. Each CoreRPG release is only 10MB its not a huge impost on either bandwidth or disk space.

I know the thought of indefinitely maintaining the rulesets Im working on scares the crap outta me.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-6.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Moon Wizard
February 22nd, 2015, 00:45
The challenge is more logistics at this point, though it's not a bad idea. It would require quite a bit of design and code work in the updater and main client to be able to implement a mechanism that keeps all the versions up to date, actively downloadable and accessible by the client.

Also, I have concerns that it will increase the permutations of code that can break over time, as well as the support burden of potentially supporting multiple past versions.

It's definitely an idea that has been brought up before, and that I'm not against. However, at the moment, given my very limited time these days (as you may have noticed my increased reponse time), I'm concerned that it creates more issues than it solves as the primary developer. With what time I have after catching up on forums, putting out patches and using what's left to advance Unity client, I have been limiting the scope of any projects on the current code base.

Cheers,
JPG

damned
February 22nd, 2015, 09:13
Hi JPG - understand your concerns. If you did go down this road at some point in the future I would expect that you would not support any of these older Core versions. You would be providing them only for community ruleset use. IanMWard and I have a new extension for CoreRPG we are finishing off too :)

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-11.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

JohnD
February 22nd, 2015, 14:32
Any chance of giving multiple class options to the Spells tab on the C&C character sheet? Doesn't need anything further than the ability to have multiple classes option, like in 3.5e.

Blacky
February 23rd, 2015, 22:38
Kind of a LTS thing. I have concerns about segmentation, won't we be in the end like we were before, were ruleset Z is based on a 2005 foundation and never updated?

Maybe to help ruleset stay current, another way would be to help ruleset and extension maintainers and translators. Like with a permanent diff patch avalaible, SVN or Git repository of rulesets through time and versions. Something that could generate a “OK I was golden there at time x, now at time y the rulesets and extensions have been modified this way, so I need to alter this and that for it to work”.

kalannar
February 23rd, 2015, 23:05
Testing out the new version and I noticed when I make a ability check for an NPC it doubles the ability score modifier instead of just adding it to the die roll.

Trenloe
February 23rd, 2015, 23:55
Testing out the new version and I noticed when I make a ability check for an NPC it doubles the ability score modifier instead of just adding it to the die roll.
Which ruleset?

kalannar
February 24th, 2015, 20:57
Sorry 5e.

Moon Wizard
February 26th, 2015, 02:57
JohnD,

Adding multiple spell classes is actually fairly major update to C&C. I'm guessing that a lot of code could be borrowed from 3.5E ruleset, but the issue is that all the features that come along with all the spell updates for 3.5E would also need to be implemented. Also, the current PC spell data would need to be migrated to a new data structure by updating the VersionManager script. It would be great for C&C in general, but too big of a project for me right now.

If someone wanted to implement the changes and send it over, I would love to include it. I'll have to check with Doug if we have a developer currently maintaining the ruleset, and if they can take on.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
February 26th, 2015, 03:30
Updates

[PFRPG] Updated Daze spell description with differences from 3.5E.
[5E/4E/PFRPG/3.5E] Ability tags in effect text not being handled correctly if modifiers used (+, -, 2, H). Fixed.
[5E] Ability modifier incorrectly being added twice to ability checks. Fixed.
[DEV] Added wildcard module path option to all API functions and controls which specify data paths. Usage is @*, instead of @<module name>.

JPG

JohnD
February 26th, 2015, 15:59
JohnD,

Adding multiple spell classes is actually fairly major update to C&C. I'm guessing that a lot of code could be borrowed from 3.5E ruleset, but the issue is that all the features that come along with all the spell updates for 3.5E would also need to be implemented. Also, the current PC spell data would need to be migrated to a new data structure by updating the VersionManager script. It would be great for C&C in general, but too big of a project for me right now.

If someone wanted to implement the changes and send it over, I would love to include it. I'll have to check with Doug if we have a developer currently maintaining the ruleset, and if they can take on.

Regards,
JPG
Ah, I see... well thanks for the added clarity. Understand that it's a bigger job than just dropping in some code. :)

Torgaard
March 4th, 2015, 03:25
I think I found one. 5E Ruleset.

While the 5E Effect page on the wiki seems to suggest that RESIST and VULN support a number value, using a number value with either of them doesn't seem to be working (ie 'RESIST: 5 fire').

It should be noted that the basic functionality of both effects does work, for example 'RESIST: bludgeoning' does in fact halve the damage taken from a bludgeoning attack. But when I tried to get the "Heavy Armor Master" feat working for one of my players with an effect of 'RESIST: 3 bludgeoning, piercing, slashing' (and a few other tests) it ignored the '3' value and just gave him straight-up resist (half damage) to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing. Which, for the record, he was quite happy with - until we spotted the bug a few rounds later. :)

Willot
March 7th, 2015, 21:23
BTW it appears the Incorporeal effect is fubared (if you didnt already pick that up) in 3.5e,PFRPG. Reported it in the House of Healing. Its been confirmed too. The incorporeal effect seems to get passed onto the monster's Target.

Moon Wizard
March 9th, 2015, 18:14
Updates

Cleaned up some typos and copyrights.
[LAUNCHER] Added community suggested loading tips.
[DEV] Modules can be used in an uncompressed format by placing module files in their own sub-directory under modules data directory. Module folders have priority over MOD files.
[DEV] Added announcement tag and attributes (text, font, icon) to ruleset and extension definition files. Any announcement text will be output to chat window on initial load. See CoreRPG for example.

JPG

Vackipleur
March 9th, 2015, 19:18
Hi,

Get an error after the last update:

Trenloe
March 9th, 2015, 19:25
Hi,

Get an error after the last update:

What ruleset are you trying to load? This is running in "test" mode, correct?

This is saying that FG can't find a the ruleset files - re-run the update and hopefully this will reload the ruleset that is missing. If not, you may need to go to the <FG App data>\rulesets directory and remove any files called <your ruleset name>.pak and any directories of the same name, then re-run an update.

Vackipleur
March 9th, 2015, 19:40
In fact, I launch no ruleset. I just hit the update button (generally, I play in test mode), FG made the update and when its over, I get the error message automatically (without any more action from my part).

Trenloe
March 9th, 2015, 19:42
In fact, I launch no ruleset. I just hit the update button (generally, I play in test mode), FG made the update and when its over, I get the error message automatically (without any more action from my part).
If you close down Fantasy Grounds and re-open it are you able to load a campaign?

Vackipleur
March 9th, 2015, 19:51
No I can't. I click on the FG shortcut on my desktop and I get the same error message.

To launch FG correctly, I must use the UpdaterEngine, and come back to the Live version.

Trenloe
March 9th, 2015, 20:11
No I can't. I click on the FG shortcut on my desktop and I get the same error message.

To launch FG correctly, I must use the UpdaterEngine, and come back to the Live version.
Yeah, I get the same issue, it looks like something has happened with the update - either launcher.pak can't be accessed properly, or there's something else up with it.

Moon Wizard
March 9th, 2015, 22:01
Yes, my fault. I was generalizing file access for rulesets, modules and extensions; and the access to launcher.pak got messed up.

You'll have to run the updater directly from the FG app directory or Start Menu to fix.

Regards,
JPG

Nickademus
March 9th, 2015, 22:32
Just came across something small in the PFRPG ruleset data_common.lua file that could cause bugs with DR.

When comparing the damage types for naturaldmgtypes in the file to the values in the Bestiary, I found that 'hoof' and 'hoove' were set to piercing instead of bludgeoning. Also, 'talon' has both the piercing and slashing type when it should have only the slashing type.

dulux-oz
March 10th, 2015, 03:09
Updates

[DEV] Added announcement tag and attributes (text, font, icon) to ruleset and extension definition files. Any announcement text will be output to chat window on initial load. See CoreRPG for example.

JPG

Sorry, but where does the <announcement> tag go in an Extension? Is the below correct (cause if it is its not working :( )?

In extension.xml:

<root version="3.0" logo="logo.png">
<announcement text="Test Announcement." font="emotefont" icon="rulesetlogo_CoreRPG" />
<properties>
<name>Test Extension</name>
<version>1.0</version>
<author>Copyright ©2005-2015 Matthew James BLACK.</author>
<description>An Extension to test new Announcement Tag.</description>
</properties>
</root>

Cheers

Moon Wizard
March 10th, 2015, 17:43
Here's an example of one that's working for me.

<root version="3.0" release="4">
<properties>
<name>Feature - Character Import/Export</name>
<version>1</version>

<author>SmiteWorks USA, LLC</author>
<description>Provides /importchar and /exportchar commands for rulesets that don't already support</description>
</properties>

<announcement text="Character import / export extension v1" icon="rulesetlogo_CoreRPG" font="systemfont" />

<base>
<script name="CharImportExport" file="scripts/manager_charimportexport.lua" />
</base>
</root>

JPG

Moon Wizard
March 10th, 2015, 18:11
I just have to say that tracking down the minute variations between 3.5E and Pathfinder can be maddening. Things you think wouldn't be touched between versions are subtly altered.

JPG

Moon Wizard
March 10th, 2015, 18:25
Updates

[PFRPG/3.5E] Adjusted damage types of some natural weapons to match variations between 3.5E and PFRPG.
[PFRPG/3.5E] Damage incorrectly being fully resisted when incoporeal creatures make incorporeal touch damage rolls. Fixed.

JPG

Nickademus
March 10th, 2015, 19:30
I just have to say that tracking down the minute variations between 3.5E and Pathfinder can be maddening. Things you think wouldn't be touched between versions are subtly altered.

JPG

That's why I assume you have us do it. :P

(Still, I don't think hooves have ever been piercing damage...)

Moon Wizard
March 10th, 2015, 20:04
I blame that on 3AM edits. ;)

JPG

Treegreen
March 10th, 2015, 22:12
A couple people, myself included, have noticed the 5e ruleset doesn't seem to be adding the second ability score increase when races are dropped onto the character sheet. For example, the Half-Orc:

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.

It will add the +2 to Strength but not the +1 to Constitution.

dulux-oz
March 10th, 2015, 23:17
Here's an example of one that's working for me.

etc, etc, etc

JPG

Yeah, that's working - looks like the <announcement> tag has to go AFTER the <properties> tag.

Thanks Moon

itsdvw
March 11th, 2015, 22:53
A couple people, myself included, have noticed the 5e ruleset doesn't seem to be adding the second ability score increase when races are dropped onto the character sheet. For example, the Half-Orc:

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.

It will add the +2 to Strength but not the +1 to Constitution.

For what it's worth, I tracked down the source of this bug (present in 3.0.10 as well) and created a quick extension to fix it (my first extension but so far it's testing well) - not sure if this will help the devs or if there's a better place to post it but this seems to correct the problem for me. For some reason the ruleset was looking for a string pattern that doesn't seem to actually occur in the official material - but just in case I missed it somewhere I left that in and just added another case to match the pattern that is there.

dulux-oz
March 14th, 2015, 02:30
Hey Moon,

Is the <announcement> text in an Extension supposed to be displayed for Clients? Because its is not displaying at the moment (but the Ruleset <announcement> is).

Cheers

damned
March 16th, 2015, 12:56
Hey JPG - if you get time also can you look at whether this can be implemented in npc_roll.lua in 3.0.11 or if its an easy change to add in an extension?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23452-DCC-Dice-d3-d5-d7-d14-d16-d24-d30

regards
Damian

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/fg-con-6-150-14.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)

Moon Wizard
March 18th, 2015, 17:58
Treegreen, Thanks for report.

itsdvw, Thanks for extension patch for reported item.

dukux-oz, Order shouldn't matter, I'll look into it.

damned, I saw that you found a workaround in another thread. Arbitrary d# will be supported in FG Unity natively (i.e. ruleset can define default dice icon, and client will randomly determine number; no ruleset changes needed)

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
March 18th, 2015, 18:00
Updates

[DEV] Add module wildcard support to token values in module databases. If wildcard used in module DB value and any loaded module has token matching path, that token will be used for token control display.
Module thumbnails missing in module activation UI after reload command. Fixed.

JPG

Moon Wizard
March 18th, 2015, 18:34
Also, I am working on some updater changes in the Dev channel, so you will be seeing additional unannounced updates in that channel.

Regards,
JPG

damned
March 18th, 2015, 22:44
Treegreen, Thanks for report.

itsdvw, Thanks for extension patch for reported item.

dukux-oz, Order shouldn't matter, I'll look into it.

damned, I saw that you found a workaround in another thread. Arbitrary d# will be supported in FG Unity natively (i.e. ruleset can define default dice icon, and client will randomly determine number; no ruleset changes needed)

Cheers,
JPG

Thanks Moon Wizard.

dulux-oz
March 19th, 2015, 00:51
Hey Moon,

Is the <announcement> text in an Extension supposed to be displayed for Clients? Because its is not displaying at the moment (but the Ruleset <announcement> is).

Cheers

I have since discovered that the <announcement> tag is only being loaded/used when FG is returned to the Launcher: if I do a simple "/reload" the tag isn't read. Sorry for the "false alarm". <<Sheepish Grin>>

Moon Wizard
March 19th, 2015, 07:15
Ah, I think I got it. Since the announcements are loaded as part of the ruleset/extension properties; they are only refreshed when loading the launcher screen (either initially, or when returning to launcher). So, you won't be able to make announcement changes on the fly while developing without returning to the launcher screen.

Also, I'm seeing the announcements on the client as well, which I think you had reported as an issue as well.

Thanks,
JPG

dulux-oz
March 19th, 2015, 07:42
Also, I'm seeing the announcements on the client as well, which I think you had reported as an issue as well.
JPG

Hmm, I'm not - I'll shoot you what I'm working on via your email - thanks Moon. :)

Moon Wizard
March 23rd, 2015, 19:30
Updates

[CoreRPG+] Inventory will no longer sort during location field editing.
[5E] Added new effect tags (SKILL: [#] [optional skill name], ADVSKILL, ADVSKILL: [skill name], DISSKILL, DISSKILL: [skill name])
[DEV] Multiple announcement tags supported.
[DEV] Announcements sent to each user from host upon connection.
[5E] When dropping races with 2 ability score increases onto a new character, only the first ability score increase would be applied. Fixed.
[5E] Party skill rolls are not using PC skill modifiers. Fixed.
[CoC] Racial template NPC records not performing ability rolls when adding to combat tracker. Fixed.

JPG

damned
March 24th, 2015, 01:30
Hi JPG - whats your thoughts on release schedule?
FGCon is on in 3 weeks time and it would be great not to have 3.0.11 hit just prior to that!
I know, I know... the whole world doesnt revolve around FG Con...
Thanks!

Damian

Moon Wizard
March 24th, 2015, 02:13
Planning on release this week.

Cheers,
JPG

The Scriven One
March 24th, 2015, 02:26
I just came here to see if there was any word on the release, and if not to possibly set up my campaign for testing. Hearing that this is coming out this week is great news. I can really use the ADVSKILL tag in my campaign. Thanks for all the great work that you guys do.

Treegreen
March 24th, 2015, 02:28
Awesome! Thanks JPG.

dulux-oz
March 24th, 2015, 03:35

Cheers,
JPG

Excellent!

The next obvious question is: what are the plans for 3.0.12, or are we going to FGNext instead?

Cheers

HoloGnome
March 24th, 2015, 08:39
Is this release going to fix the parsing problems with trait attributes (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22991-3-5E-PF-type-attribute-not-parsing) like undead traits, etc.?

damned
March 24th, 2015, 08:51

Thanks JPG - I better get to updating Maelstrom now then....

Moon Wizard
March 24th, 2015, 17:49
The type parsing for creatures added to the CT was updated to correctly assign immunity to non-lethal damage and immunity to critical damage. Besides that, only a basic information tag (such as "Undead traits") is applied.

For positive/negative damage/heal, I usually just have the cleric set up mirrored damage/heal actions, and they use the right action for the right creature.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
March 24th, 2015, 17:49
Updates

[LAUNCHER] Rulesets and extensions sort by name.
[5E] Added variant encumbrance option.
[PFRPG/3.5E] Added trait bonus type support to effects.
[5E] Damage type for ongoing damage effects ignoring damage type when applying damage. Fixed.

JPG

HoloGnome
March 24th, 2015, 20:53
For positive/negative damage/heal, I usually just have the cleric set up mirrored damage/heal actions, and they use the right action for the right creature.

OK. That's a reasonable work-around, albeit with extra targeting. But, it would be cool if the FG of the future supported a unified positive/negative/elemental damage/heal model.

HoloGnome
March 24th, 2015, 20:55
I just saw the update notification, hit update and then saw an error when FG was checking the package list. Then, I tried to update again - FG ran the update scan and did nothing. Still at 3.0.10. Is there a problem with the package list in the update? or mine?

Trenloe
March 24th, 2015, 21:00
I just saw the update notification, hit update and then saw an error when FG was checking the package list. Then, I tried to update again - FG ran the update scan and did nothing. Still at 3.0.10. Is there a problem with the package list in the update? or mine?
That's because it was a minor update to one of your products, not updating FG to 3.0.11 - because that isn't in live yet, still in test.

Trenloe
March 24th, 2015, 21:30
The type parsing for creatures added to the CT was updated to correctly assign immunity to non-lethal damage and immunity to critical damage. Besides that, only a basic information tag (such as "Undead traits") is applied.
Hi JPG - have you checked the issue thread that HoloGnome referenced? i.e. this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22991-3-5E-PF-type-attribute-not-parsing

The issue we're reporting is that the parsing of "XXXX traits" is no longer done - due to the reasons highlighted in that thread. This is not just undead, it is also other creatures where their type is not separated by commas (i.e.not a subtype) - ooze and construct traits. Subtypes are OK, as these are separated by commas.

See the following example - these are all creatures from the base PF Bestiary module that comes with FG.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Traits%20not%20parsing.jpg

The Animated object should have construct traits added, the Ghoul should have undead traits added, the Ooze should have ooze traits added. The Elemental is OK as the "elemental" entry in the type field is a subtype, and is separate by commas.

Moon Wizard
March 24th, 2015, 21:36
Here's a screenshot from a new PFRPG campaign I just set up with the same drops. Are you guys seeing something else?

Thanks,
JPG

Trenloe
March 24th, 2015, 21:45
Here's a screenshot from a new PFRPG campaign I just set up with the same drops. Are you guys seeing something else?

Thanks,
JPG
Yeah, works OK in a new 3.0.11 campaign. Thanks. :)

Sorry for the false alarm...

dulux-oz
March 25th, 2015, 01:15
Updates

[LAUNCHER] Rulesets and extensions sort by name.

JPG

What was it sorting on before (& does this have anything to do with that anomaly I pointed out a week ago)?

Cheers

Moon Wizard
March 25th, 2015, 01:43
It was sorting on whatever the underlying code was doing with map structures. It was typically alphabetical, but not always.

Cheers,
JPG

dulux-oz
March 25th, 2015, 02:13
It was sorting on whatever the underlying code was doing with map structures. It was typically alphabetical, but not always.

Cheers,
JPG

Cool

HoloGnome
March 25th, 2015, 08:15
re: parsing -

It looks like it is now adding nonlethal for zombies and constructs. Thx! That helps a lot!

I still see possible issues with respect to creature types like elementals and oozes or other things that are immune to critical that are not showing IMMUNE: precision. Fantasy Grounds supports precision damage for rogues, etc., which is probably not blocked by IMMUNE:critical.

And, in the realm of a full treatment, with respect to other typed damage and effects, it would be nice if they could be supported - like immunity to bleed damage, immunity to fatigue, etc. There are spells or other things that apply these effects to creatures and it would be easier if GMs didn't have to remember that that fatigued condition that a player applied to a monster should be treated as immune instead of being auto-calculated by FG as a penalty.

HoloGnome
March 27th, 2015, 20:50
What is the new release that has just appeared?

Moon Wizard
March 28th, 2015, 01:54
There as a quick hotfix announced in the release thread for v3.0.11. It is only related to some publisher code we added, and does not affect any rulesets.

Cheers,
JPG

Bidmaron
December 24th, 2016, 17:27
Updates

Cleaned up some typos and copyrights.
[LAUNCHER] Added community suggested loading tips.
[DEV] Modules can be used in an uncompressed format by placing module files in their own sub-directory under modules data directory. Module folders have priority over MOD files.

JPG

Any chance we can get this documented somewhere other than in this update thread for the announcement tag? It should be in the extensions section of the Ruleset Modification Guide and wherever you document ruleset structure (which I also cannot find ATM).

Nickademus
December 24th, 2016, 17:36
Ruleset structure is not documented. You can find a brief explanation of ruleset folders here. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20651-Modifying-the-CoreRPG-ruleset&p=170384&viewfull=1#post170384)

Zacchaeus
December 24th, 2016, 18:03
Ruleset structure is not documented. You can find a brief explanation of ruleset folders here. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20651-Modifying-the-CoreRPG-ruleset&p=170384&viewfull=1#post170384)

You can find all the release notes here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/patchnotes.html) (this is also linked from the FG start screen)

Bidmaron
December 24th, 2016, 18:54
You can find all the release notes here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/patchnotes.html) (this is also linked from the FG start screen)

I know. That's how I finally tracked down where the announcement element was mentioned (although still not truly documented).

Nickademus
December 24th, 2016, 19:30

I'm not seeing where this is actually relevant. Does the release notes tell things like which functions are in manager_actions.lua, which templates are in the /common folder and which are in the /campaign folder or which file has the functions on processing critical hits? These are the things I would look for in ruleset documentation. I know of no place where this type of information is kept (other than just reading through every ruleset file).

I thought the release notes just mentioned when a new feature was available for a ruleset or when a change was made to the API that the rulesets use.

Zacchaeus
December 24th, 2016, 19:39
I thought the poster was looking for a list of changes, but clearly he's looking for something different.

Bidmaron
December 24th, 2016, 20:27
I was looking for documentation on the attributes and elements of an extension file, and they are not all in the Developer Guide. I have what I need now. I am just in violent agreement with Nickademus that this information should be in the ruleset and extension documentation. I would add it if I could, but I cannot.

Nickademus
December 24th, 2016, 22:00
Smiteworks has never written up documentation on the included rulesets and I doubt they ever will. It would be quite a bit of work to explain all the files and the organization structure, and would bring in no income. Better to spend the time on licensed material and the Unity build. I imagine it would also be difficult for the guys at SW to even write up a new-user's perspective of all that since they have been utilizing those files so much for so long that there is a lot that they would take for granted in the explanations.

kalmarjan
December 25th, 2016, 07:37
I was looking for documentation on the attributes and elements of an extension file, and they are not all in the Developer Guide. I have what I need now. I am just in violent agreement with Nickademus that this information should be in the ruleset and extension documentation. I would add it if I could, but I cannot.

I don't agree at all. Your asking a company to open documentation for their proprietary software, and to document it so that you can undermine their business model. I mean, they already maintain a wiki, have this community here, have numerous videos on how to use, extend, play around with, tinker with... there are literally THOUSANDS of threads on these boards, and many users that will answer any question that you might pose.

Plus, believe me when I tell you this, SW is FAR more open today than they were under the previous owners. I know first hand, as a developer of several core rulesets (Savage Worlds, Castles and Crusades, Iron Heroes, etc...) what it's like to comb through the mysterious LUA code, but back then (2008) there wasn't the community we have today.

If you have a question to ask, ask away. As for documentation (and the labor that would go into it) I wouldn't expect it. I wouldn't even think I was entitled to it. ;)

Bidmaron
December 25th, 2016, 18:51
I don't agree at all. Your asking a company to open documentation for their proprietary software, and to document it so that you can undermine their business model.

What do you mean so I can undermine their business model? I just want to be able to write an extension. Like you, I was here under the previous ownership, and you are right that SW does magnitudes better.

Hey, I get it that there is a trade-off between features and documentation. I'm not looking for a complete how-to. You can get that studying existing extensions. This page (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/extensions.xcp) simply needs updating with the announcement tag. You can see it has the structure of an extension file. It is just missing the announcement element is all.