PDA

View Full Version : PFS Free RPG Day Module: Risen from the Sands (weekend of Feb 27-Mar 1, 8pm UTC)

cmdisc
February 19th, 2015, 07:48
The deserts of Osirion—land of pharaohs and ancient tombs—hide not just untold wonders, but also unspeakable dangers. When the vast sand dunes part to reveal the ancient pyramid of the legendary Pharaoh of Sphinxes, glory seekers from across many nations race toward it, each fighting to be the first to claim its wonders. But the storied pharaoh doesn't rest quietly within this monument, and his tomb was designed to slaughter any who would dare trespass.

A band of bold adventurers are the first to arrive, and stand poised to claim what’s risen from the sands—but they're unaware of the doom that lurks inside. With daring on their side and strange, rarely seen powers at their disposal, the heroes may be the only force capable of containing the force of evil within and defeating its curse!

This module has been sanctioned for PFS use. It is a 1XP/2PP reward module intended for characters of 2nd to 4th level. This has been known to be a difficult adventure, so I'd advise bringing either a 4th level PC or a well built 3rd level (2nd level PCs might just be too squishy for this unless you're sitting on top of an unusual amount of Hpts or AC). There are special 3rd level pregens for this if you wish to consider those instead of your own PC or a standard L4 pregen.

This module can be rather long considering the number of encounters, so I would like to set aside 2 days for it. Right now I'm offering the weekend of Feb 27th to Mar 1st as options.

Calendar for signing up is here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1356 Posts on this discussion thread take priority over those that just sign up on the calendar.

Lastly, the module description says it is intended for 4 PCs, but the additional Society sanctioned rules don't mention such a limit; so I'm assuming it defaults to the standard 4-6 PC table size. If anyone happens to think this is an incorrect assumption, please let me know.

xazil
February 19th, 2015, 10:06
I'll pencil in for my Archer Paladin 3, but I will have to see how things are looking work wise for that weekend. I believe you can take up 6 in the runs, which can reduces the difficulty level quite a bit.

Lord Kavos
February 19th, 2015, 10:58
im keen, though only have Ember Novastar lvl 2 atm in this level range (bard 1 / swashbuckler 1)

Trenloe
February 19th, 2015, 16:41
Lastly, the module description says it is intended for 4 PCs, but the additional Society sanctioned rules don't mention such a limit; so I'm assuming it defaults to the standard 4-6 PC table size. If anyone happens to think this is an incorrect assumption, please let me know.
Other than the 1xp/2pp reward this follows the usual sanctioned module guidelines, so 4-6 PCs is the norm.

cmdisc
February 19th, 2015, 17:37
Other than the 1xp/2pp reward this follows the usual sanctioned module guidelines, so 4-6 PCs is the norm.

I figured that was the case. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. :)

Victor
February 20th, 2015, 07:38
I'm interested but may not have a character in range at that time. Maybe I'll be an alt and play a pregen. So I'm a maybe. :)

Victor
February 21st, 2015, 07:23
Coburn is 3.2 right now and doesnt have anything until after this. so right now can join in. I have a question however. Coburn has a level 4 credit thats 3xp, so jumps to level 5 right away. Does he have to take this right at 4.0 or can he play as level 4 for a game or two before he takes the credit? If he can't. he never really is level 4 for any scenario (except the one he played as pregen), right? Tremloe?

cmdisc
February 21st, 2015, 08:52
IIRC it kicks in immediately, because you have to apply credits in the order as you get them. So once he hits 4th and can accept that credit, it applies before any more can.

HoloGnome
February 21st, 2015, 17:35
Interested, but won't have a character in range. I have a 1st level drunken barbarian. My 3rd level is busy in other campaigns. But, happy to play Amiri Barbarian/4.

Lord Kavos
February 23rd, 2015, 03:53
not sure which day i can play yet - I am in the middle of running pt2 of shades of ice for a few players (some have signed up for this game as well) - so once we work out when they can play to finish part 2 i can confirm a time that works for us for this game.

Trenloe
February 23rd, 2015, 04:05
IIRC it kicks in immediately, because you have to apply credits in the order as you get them. So once he hits 4th and can accept that credit, it applies before any more can.
Correct.

cmdisc
February 23rd, 2015, 22:07
Fri the 27th seems to be lining up for folks. So far suggested are:

L3 Archer Paladin (Xazil)
L2 Bard/Swashbuckler (Lord Kavos)
L3 Warpriest (Victor)
L4 Barbarian pregen (HoloGnome)

Trueshots is on the calendar, but hasn’t posted anything here yet. Plenty of space left for anyone else interested. Post your chronicles and XML’s as you’re able. I will make sure to have the necessary pregens ready to go.

We'll have to decide whether to try and cover it all in one session or to break it up into 2. When I played through it, it took our group of four L3's over 7 hours to complete, iirc. But I think we were a little underpowered as we were using the special L3 pregens that were designed for this mod. Personal builds generally seem to fair better than pregens, imho. So we'll see.

xazil
February 24th, 2015, 01:43
Wait, you didn't just do Oloch x 4? :D

I'm good for a session like that. Especially on the Friday which is looking the more popular.

cmdisc
February 24th, 2015, 07:07
Wait, you didn't just do Oloch x 4? :D

Well I guess that would have made the group specialized.

Trueshots
February 24th, 2015, 07:23
Guys I would love to play, I intended to but I don't think I can handle a 7 hour game with my schedule right now especially if it ends up being two days. I really don't know if I can play Friday until Thursday night this week. So you better not count on me for anything, if there is space available on Friday and I'm open I'll jump in. Sorry for just now responding.

Victor
February 24th, 2015, 08:24
Guys I would love to play, I intended to but I don't think I can handle a 7 hour game with my schedule right now especially if it ends up being two days.

Well, I think it would be one or the other, not both. So a long 7 or 8 hour game on Friday, or 2 shorter 4ish hour games Friday and Saturday.
I would prefer the 2 shorter games over 2 days. But of course will go with the majority decision.

xazil
February 24th, 2015, 09:14
I'd like to have one session on the Friday (my Saturday). Here are Mordel's files.

Victor
February 24th, 2015, 10:40
Here is Coburn

Rivver
February 25th, 2015, 17:11
I'm in and would prefer the longer game on Friday to spreading it over two evenings. Here is my stuff:

Lord Kavos
February 25th, 2015, 22:42
Hi all,

I have changed the date for my shades of ice game & it seems everyone is available for the Friday session, so can't play this one then, but available on Saturday time. Wobt be able to play the Sunday though, so happy to give up my place if required. Sorry for an inconvenience

cmdisc
February 25th, 2015, 22:52
Changing this session to Saturday is fine with me. The vote so far is to just run a long session instead of trying to get in 2 shorter ones, so if you can make Sat, Kavos, you're good to go. I know the calendar currently says 8pm GMT right now, but I'm ok with 7pm as a start time if everyone else is. I can put up a new time if everyone wants to revote.

Lord Kavos
February 25th, 2015, 23:00
That's all good by me

HoloGnome
February 26th, 2015, 00:24
Glad to see that it worked out! :)

Victor
February 26th, 2015, 06:48
Here is Coburn's Tracking Sheet, forgot to include it earlier.

Lord Kavos
February 26th, 2015, 11:29
Here are Embers's Files...

Alq Veers
February 26th, 2015, 11:41
If there is a space remaining I would like to play :),

cmdisc
February 26th, 2015, 12:35
@ Alq Veers. Would love to have you along. Trueshots posted but sounded like he was a "most likely not", but I'd like to give him first refusal. So I'd definitely take you on as the 1st alternate. I'll have your character up and ready to go in the event that he or someone else can't make it.

@ Trueshots, if you could give me a definite answer say be Fri. If you're along, I'll need your character info. Note that LK and I have switched spots, so I'm now running this Sat night at 7pm GMT.

Right now we are sitting on a party of 6:

Ember L2 Bard/Swashbuckler
Alaerin L2 Hunter
Mordel L3 Paladin Archer
Coburn L3 Warpriest
Drakon L3 Barbarian/Druid (HG, I need your character info)

...with either ? if Trueshots is along or Simae'on L2 Fighter if Alq Veers joins us.

Looks like a solid group. Just some repeated advice that L2's will need to take care as this module has been known to hurt. It is a 2-4 level range, so you're definitely starting from a disadvantage. On the upside, the reward is decent and my last few times as GM seemed to generate low numbers on the virtual dice, so let's just hope that trend continues. :)

Alq Veers
February 26th, 2015, 12:43
Knowing my luck however, I'll get to work tomorrow and find out that I am indeed working when this game is on. Hopefully (and better) not be.

Thanks for the L2 advice, I have noted it already and reckon I'll be ok. Just. (bugger)

HoloGnome
February 26th, 2015, 22:57
Drakon is finishing up in Shades of Ice 2 tomorrow. I can send it now, but will probably have to change it.

cmdisc
February 27th, 2015, 08:48
Not a problem, HG. Just get him to me when you have him and we'll be good.

Attached is a fillable pre-chronicle for each of you to put in the relevant information. So get those back to me when you can after the session. And if you need a Chronicle returned to you ASAP, let me know. I will give those priority and aim to get them back to you within 24 hours after the session.

Lord Kavos
February 27th, 2015, 12:09
Hey cmdisk,

Added some items to Ember's XML that I will be purchasing for her at the start of this game...

For your info they are:

Wand of Shield (2 PP)
Ioun Stone - Magenta Prism (cracked) - 800gp (+2 competence bonus to one skill - Use Magic Device)
Masterwork Tool (Wand Grip - UMD) - 50gp (+2 circumstance bonus to Use Magic Device - wand use only)
Spring Loaded Wrist Sheath - 5gp

With all the recent hooha about masterwork tools, i hope the Wand Grip is ok - specifically for the wand of shield, attached to it. If not thats ok, its the GM's call on these items (she can still use the ioun stone). But I believe the specific nature (not just carte-blanche for all UMD rolls) makes it PFS legal, and I'm hoping the wand may improve her chances of survival, so the higher her skill in UMD the better...

Just wanted to let you know in any case.

Can you use the new xml (attached) instead of the other one please?

Thx

cmdisc
February 27th, 2015, 13:15
Character updated for ya. :)

HoloGnome
February 27th, 2015, 17:18
I'll talk with LK about it today and see about Shades of Ice 3.

HoloGnome
February 27th, 2015, 22:35
OK - guess I will have to play a pregen after all. Drakon needs to stay at 3rd for the last of the Shades of Ice series. If Amiri is too much hassle, I have already built Enora/4 the Arcanist and could play her again.

cmdisc
February 27th, 2015, 22:59
Not a problem. I can have Amiri ready to go for you by tomorrow. I think I just need to track down her portrait.

HoloGnome
February 28th, 2015, 00:17
I'll make 'em for you.

cmdisc
February 28th, 2015, 11:29
You will have the character ready? or just the portrait/token?

Alq Veers
February 28th, 2015, 13:32
Are we on for the early or later session (which is 6am vs 7am for me) just wanting to check before I set my alarm and crash for a few hours

HoloGnome
February 28th, 2015, 13:32
Hey - I was just talking about the portrait...but I'm up early today and can probably slam out the sheet, too.

HoloGnome
February 28th, 2015, 14:19
Amiri Portrait and Token

cmdisc
February 28th, 2015, 16:01
Are we on for the early or later session (which is 6am vs 7am for me) just wanting to check before I set my alarm and crash for a few hours

Hey, sorry for not being on and seeing this earlier. Was thinking we were up for the earlier one if everyone is good. So 7pm GMT.

Rivver
February 28th, 2015, 17:29
I've made a slight change to both Alaerin and Dusk. (Dusk- language, trick, inventory and armor. Alaerin - language, skill, inventory)

cmdisc
February 28th, 2015, 17:50
NP. Will get those uploaded for you.

cmdisc
February 28th, 2015, 18:01
Server is up. I will be up and down from the keyboard.

cmdisc
February 28th, 2015, 19:12
If you stop here first, Veers, we're getting started in just a few minutes, but please feel free to join us. You should still be good if you're signing in sometime during the next hour or so. :)

Lord Kavos
March 1st, 2015, 02:01
thx for the game - here is Ember's pre-chronicle

Rivver
March 1st, 2015, 02:03
Here's Alaerin's pre-chronicle:

HoloGnome
March 1st, 2015, 08:17
Hey cmdisc - Thx for running this one! I shall call it the Nolij 'R Us campaign. :D Lots of fun!

cmdisc
March 1st, 2015, 09:24
Yeah, there were some definite skill sets missing in the group, but you all compensated just fine. Poor rogues.

I have to say too that you guys really were lucky with several of those encounters. It makes a difference when my initiative rolls are coming up 5's and below and most to all of the party has a chance to act before the enemy does. Personal builds beat Pregens, but even Amiri was the right PC for the job with her ability to deliver significant damage through any DR you faced.

cmdisc
March 1st, 2015, 09:28
Actually on second thought, you weren't actually able to replace the rogue outright. The sack of sand was a great idea, but it only worked for pressure-plate traps...which just happened to be the one you found that way after rolling well enough to spot the first one and realizing there are traps here. It was useless against the axe and anything locked. So rogues still have a purpose. Huzzah!

xazil
March 1st, 2015, 09:30
Yay, my sorcerer now has a purpose again. ;)

HoloGnome
March 1st, 2015, 15:09
Nevertheless, "Sandbag Rogue" has now entered the lexicon, only to be accompanied by "Rockbag Rogue" in temperate climates and "Snowbag Rogue" in Irrisen. :D

Victor
March 1st, 2015, 22:58
Actually on second thought, you weren't actually able to replace the rogue outright. The sack of sand was a great idea... ... It was useless against the axe and anything locked. So rogues still have a purpose. Huzzah!

Oh OK, you can't replace a Rogue with a bag of sand. It takes a bag of sand AND a portable Ram.

Alq Veers
March 1st, 2015, 23:53
I like my ram :D

Victor
March 2nd, 2015, 04:16
I like my ram :D

I particularly like its Stealth ability. :)
Here is Coburn's Pre C

cmdisc
March 2nd, 2015, 06:38
If by "stealth ability" you meant its spectacular ability to alert every creature within 300 feet of your current location, then yeah...

cmdisc
March 2nd, 2015, 08:58
Here are 2 of the 6 Chronicles. Look them over and let me know if anything needs changing or was missed.

Kavos, I sent you a PM with a question in order to work out the final gold values for Ember.

Veers, go ahead and post or send me your pre-chronicle as you have time and I'll get Simae'on's Chronicle out to you shortly thereafter. Remember to indicate which Boon you would like (and if you need a reminder as to what they are, PM me).

HoloGnome
March 2nd, 2015, 16:14
Hey cmdisc - Sorry - I screwed up. I forgot that I had no CLW wand for this character yet. Here is the updated pre - but just a simple change. Also, I realized that there's no long-term value in Agile Breastplate. Bluebeard should just save his money until he can buy Mithral Breastplate.

cmdisc
March 2nd, 2015, 17:39
Np. I have to head out shortly for a few hours, but when I'm back I'll make the corrections and repost it.

cmdisc
March 2nd, 2015, 22:00
2 more Chronicles. Like the others, let me know if anything needs fixing.

I'll report this event soon.

HoloGnome
March 2nd, 2015, 22:04
Thanks!

cmdisc
March 3rd, 2015, 08:11
Final Chronicle. PM me for any changes.

cmdisc
March 6th, 2015, 13:21
Updated Alaerin's Chronicle to reflect the PP purchase. Everything should be set now. Will report this game soon.