PDA

View Full Version : NPCS, Making skill and stat checks???

sillyhumansuit
February 19th, 2015, 00:38
Well after finding out how to do combat I figured it would be neat to automate stat and skill checks. Again I am stumped..

I find that if I write

SAVEVS: CON DC13 nothing happens. Why? Isn't this right?

Can anyone help or even better please direct me to a good tutorial on making NPCs. I just need a list of syntax that works.

Thanks in advanced!

Trenloe
February 19th, 2015, 00:54
If you're referring to the creature itself making a save, then you already have the C and S buttons next to the stats to roll Checks and Saves by just clicking the buttons.

If you want to target a creature and get them to roll a save, then use the syntax that comes directly in the creature descriptions. For example, for an Air Elemental's Whirlwind action the description is: Each creature in the elemental's space must make a DC 13 Strength saving throw. If you hover over "DC 13 Strength saving throw" the text will highlight and if you have one or more creatures targeted they will roll the relevant save when you double-click the highlighted line.

Your best way of seeing this in action, and having access to lots of examples, is to use Valeros's amazing basic rules parser - it will give you a 5E Monsters module in less than 5 minutes that has 227 example creatures. Have a look at the Air Elemental for the example I have above - the Whirlwind action has multiple highlighted text - applying the damage, applying a knocked prone effect, etc..

sillyhumansuit
February 19th, 2015, 00:56
Man thank you so much. I wish I had really thought about that. I should of been able to figure that out.

I have been looking at his tutorial. I need to download the parser but I have been reluctant. For some reason.

Trenloe
February 19th, 2015, 00:58
I need to download the parser but I have been reluctant. For some reason.
You are probably confusing the Basic Rules Parser with the more advanced, text based, PAR5E project. Get the basic rules parser here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21835-D-amp-D-Basic-Rules-PDF-Parser It's really fast and easy - it does it all for you, not a text document in sight! :)

sillyhumansuit
February 19th, 2015, 01:10
This is very cool! This helps a whole bunch!

sillyhumansuit
February 19th, 2015, 01:18
Like soo much you made this much easier!