PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5E Drinking Game V 0.5

leftcoastkid
February 17th, 2015, 21:07
I was very unsatisfied with all of the Dungeons and Dragons drinking games I was finding out there so I decided to come up with a rough draft of my own, let me know what you guys think, any changes/additions that might make it more interesting.

PS I think one of the best parts of adding a drinking game element is that it is something else to keep track of etc opposed to simply a mechanic that reminds you to drink, most people don't need a reminder for that, also I have beer in mind as the drink of choice with players and dm having had about 4-6 beers in about 3 hours

UPDATE - V 0.7

Players

Every player drinks when PC botches an attack roll or skill check
If player Crits an attack roll they get to make another player (or DM) take a drink
Drink if you miss a saving throw
Drink if your character drinks in game (potion or any other liquid)
If NPC Crits: the player they are attacking takes a drink

DM

Drink when an NPC botches an attack roll or skill check
Drink when a PC makes a successful saving throw
Drink when an NPC dies
Drink every time you have to play a tavern keeper or drunk patron
Drink when rewarding PCs with mad loot

damned
February 17th, 2015, 23:54
that game would turn upside down real quick!
welcome aboard leftcoastkid.

leftcoastkid
February 18th, 2015, 02:06
sooo is it on the right path? or a little overkill? I probably should have noted that these would be mixed drinks, beers, wine, not shots. Also if people are too drunk to keep playing by about 3-4 hours in I'm fine with that. But to get back to your point, I'm taking there should be a few less rules.....

Mask_of_winter
February 18th, 2015, 02:16
I would give Inspiration to a player who manages to chug their whole drink down in one draw.

darrenan
February 18th, 2015, 18:28
does "botch" == fail, or does "botch" == rolls a 1? If the former, that feels like overkill, but I would have to try it to be sure. It also depends on how much RP vs. Combat is going on. For RP sections of the game it might be fun to add some drinking elements around the invocation of well-known tropes.

And what about drinking when the party gets split? I would think all players would need to drink on that one.

leftcoastkid
February 18th, 2015, 18:40
ah yes, by Botch I do mean rolling a natural 1. And I was thinking about the combat vs RP drinking and in the first version of the rules I had a similar set of botch vs crit rules for non-combat ability checks but the response I was getting was that having both sets of drinking rules might be too much. I do like the idea of making players drink if they do something cliche or invoke a trope to force players to think outside of the box. And given the space constraints the game I am currently running has I would say if the party split everyone would have to drink at the end of every turn as to minimize party splitting and making it easier for the DM, me.