PDA

View Full Version : Do negative stat effects not work?

Xorn
February 17th, 2015, 15:47
I was trying to make an effect of "DMG: -1d8 [-DEX]" but it doesn't seem to recognize the negative DEX value. It's documented in the wiki that it should work, but no luck. "DMG: -1d8 [DEX]" works just fine, but that works out to -1d8 and then add one back in.

(I need the Parry maneuver: reduce incoming damage by 1d8 + DEX--which I want to just make an effect to drop on the target.)

Anyone know what I should be typing for [-DEX]?

Moon Wizard
February 26th, 2015, 02:58
Thanks for report. Double, half and negative are broken; I'll get in next update.

Cheers,
JPG

Zacchaeus
February 26th, 2015, 22:09
Ha, Xorn. Even without meaning to you have just shown me the way to set up the Monk's Deflect Missile class feature. I was trying to set up the effect on the target rather than the attacker!

Zacchaeus
February 26th, 2015, 22:16
So it's broken at the moment but if I set up an effect of DMG: [-DEX] [-LVL] that should properly reduce the damage?

Zacchaeus
April 6th, 2015, 10:52
There's been a couple of updates since this post but I'm not seeing anything that would suggest that this particular thingie has been addressed. Am I correct or have I just missed it, or alternatively am I doing it wrong? :)

Trenloe
April 6th, 2015, 16:11
There's been a couple of updates since this post but I'm not seeing anything that would suggest that this particular thingie has been addressed. Am I correct or have I just missed it, or alternatively am I doing it wrong? :)
See line 11 of the 3.0.11 patch notes: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/patchnotes.html

[5E/4E/PFRPG/3.5E] Ability tags in effect text not being handled correctly if modifiers used (+, -, 2, H). Fixed.

Also read the last line of the "Modifiers" section of the 5E effects page carefully: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

When applying effects from PC sheet powers, bracketed ability tags ([STR],[DEX],...) can be added to the modifier dice and numerical portion to adjust by current PC attribute modifiers. The ability tags can be set to negative ([-INT]), half ([HWIS]) or double ([2CHA]).

These are used in the the PC sheet powers only, adding them directly to the combat tracker won't do anything. e.g. If a PC has a strength of 14 and you have an effect in the PC power of ATK: [-STR] then when you add that to the combat tracker it will change into STR: 2. So, if the PC strength changes, the effect will need to be removed and added again.

Zacchaeus
April 6th, 2015, 17:52
See line 11 of the 3.0.11 patch notes: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/patchnotes.html

How the bloody hell did I miss that!

Also I was doing it wrong as well. I am setting up the Monk's Deflect Missile ability (which reduces damage by 1d10+DEX+LVL). I was applying the effect to the monk but of course it needs to be applied to the aggressor.

Another valuable lesson learned. And thank you once again young Trenloe :)