PDA

View Full Version : Parsed all three 5e core books, any others to parse?

Justin Davis
February 17th, 2015, 09:23
Well I have parsed all the 5e books now, The Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, Dungeon Master's Guide, 5e Foe's, 5e Book of Lost Spells, Temple of Elemental Evil Companion, Lost Mine of Phandelver, Hoard of the Dragon Queen, and working on other adventures now. Wouldn't mind parsing these for other people for a $20 parsing fee. Two questions if anyone knows, is there any other 5e splat books I can purchase and parse? I'm working on the 5e adventures now and should have them done soon, so not really referring to those.

My second question is, what should go into the Dungeon Master's Guide beside Magic Items and Tables that is relevant to a game, and that can be used in character sheets, or as important reference's for a DM in a game situation, seems to be a lot of fluff in there. I plan on running some games soon and wanted to be fully prepared before I take the dive, I've always been a player and not a DM.

Thanks

Mask_of_winter
February 17th, 2015, 09:39
Be prepared to be bombarded with requests to share those modules lol

damned
February 17th, 2015, 09:42
Do not share the modules please. For free or otherwise. Only mechanics may be shared - spell descriptions, monster descriptions etc cannot be shared.

Justin Davis
February 17th, 2015, 14:03
I heard there's this other RPG I may be interested in... PARANOIA!

damned
February 17th, 2015, 14:06
I heard there's this other RPG I may be interested in... PARANOIA!

Sounds like a lot of fun :)

Xorn
February 17th, 2015, 15:26
Once I parsed my PHB/MM/DMG, I started parsing adventures. I've parsed LMoP, HotDQ, RoT, and 4 or 5 of the Expeditions adventures.

I'm eagerly waiting for the Elemental Evil adventure to parse it, too!

Justin Davis
February 17th, 2015, 17:41
Once I parsed my PHB/MM/DMG, I started parsing adventures. I've parsed LMoP, HotDQ, RoT, and 4 or 5 of the Expeditions adventures.

Yah, I'm looking forward to TOEE also, where are these expedition adventures? you mean the Playtest ones? I want to have everything set before I start rocking some games.

Mistamichal
February 18th, 2015, 00:16
I'm eagerly waiting for WOTC and FG to come to an agreement because I gave up trying to parse. So, my only option is to wait for a full ruleset :(

damned
February 18th, 2015, 02:04
I'm eagerly waiting for WOTC and FG to come to an agreement because I gave up trying to parse. So, my only option is to wait for a full ruleset :(

Me too! Im sure it will happen - just dont know when.

dberkompas
February 18th, 2015, 03:38
I ain't gonna parse nothin, and don't offer me the files. I'll buy them when they're offered officially.

Justin Davis
February 18th, 2015, 05:00
I ain't gonna parse nothin, and don't offer me the files. I'll buy them when they're offered officially.

I parse my parsed books are have a lot of extra content. Someone suggested Encounters in a PM, any other thoughts? I'd like to finish anything do do with the DMG and move on to more adventures, Already have Lost Mine of Phandelver done, but need to do the three others. Let's stick to my original post if possible, thanks.

hawkwind
February 18th, 2015, 09:59
you could try getting a copy of Fifth Edition Foes by Necromancer games which is a collection of 200 odd monsters taken from 1st edition sources like the Fiend Folio, its very handy if you are trying to convert old modules to run. The pdf is avsailable now and the hard cover is out in April

Justin Davis
February 18th, 2015, 11:13
you could try getting a copy of Fifth Edition Foes by Necromancer games which is a collection of 200 odd monsters taken from 1st edition sources like the Fiend Folio, its very handy if you are trying to convert old modules to run. The pdf is avsailable now and the hard cover is out in April

Ya, I already have that PDF, plan on parsing it later, after I do the adventures. Cant go wrong with more monsters :D

sukEEt
February 26th, 2015, 11:35
I am trying to parse the Monster Manual at the moment and am not getting past the first monster. did you include the creature descriptions too? i can't figure out why only the first creature works.

dberkompas
February 26th, 2015, 15:49
Quests of Doom just came out to KS backers. Sounds like another 2 books to add!

FSHSchmo
February 26th, 2015, 21:44

What all did you parse out of the DMG?

dberkompas
March 3rd, 2015, 04:17
Book of Lost Spells PDF was just released to Backers.

Damn there's a lot of spells in this thing.

Justin Davis
March 3rd, 2015, 07:04
Ya, sorry, I see there's been some questions here, been busy parsing adventures, and the new Foe's Monster Manual. All done now.

I am trying to parse the Monster Manual at the moment and am not getting past the first monster. did you include the creature descriptions too? i can't figure out why only the first creature works.

Most likely it's a simple syntax error, one little character out of place blows it up. Make sure they're identical. Or PM me your code and I'll look at it. but parsing a whole book is not easy, it's pretty technical, so you have to look for those pins in a haystack for the errors.

What all did you parse out of the DMG?

I put everything in the DMG that was relevant to an actual game. All the magic items and all the non magical items. For tables, I put all the monster encounter tables by CR that let me roll wandering monsters. All the random tables for building random dungeons, day and night encounters, and of course all the treasure tables. So it's as good as a DMG can get I believe.

Quests of Doom just came out to KS backers. Sounds like another 2 books to add!
Thanks for the tips, going to go look at those in a bit.

Karykzen
March 3rd, 2015, 14:28

A big thanks to Xorn for his YouTube Playlist. I know others have made videos as well, but for me, I found his tutorials to be very helpful. Thanks to his help, I'm parsing my PHB, DMG and MM.

sukEEt
March 3rd, 2015, 16:57

just for the record, watch your 0s and 0s ...

Vishera
March 9th, 2015, 14:59
parsing is a royal PITA, and confusing to me. I tried parsing HotDQ.. yeeeah didn't turn out right.. gotta keep trying.

Justin Davis
March 9th, 2015, 16:44
parsing is a royal PITA, and confusing to me. I tried parsing HotDQ.. yeeeah didn't turn out right.. gotta keep trying.

Ya, no doubt, parsing sucks. I finished all the 5e books but I would have rather pulled my nose hairs out one at a time...I would have bought them in a heartbeat if they were available. My time is way more valuable then doing stuff that's so tediously boring to me, and difficult to accomplish.

FSHSchmo
March 9th, 2015, 23:31
I oddly join parsing the data. It gives me a chance to go through and read it all again... Now formatting it an be a pain at times but other than that it is quote enjoyable.

Justin Davis
March 10th, 2015, 00:19
I oddly join parsing the data. It gives me a chance to go through and read it all again... Now formatting it an be a pain at times but other than that it is quote enjoyable.

"oddly" may be the key word there, I'd rather pay for them, and play then parse for weeks on end, with all the frustration that goes with it, but hey that's just me. Have fun parsing!

Vishera
March 10th, 2015, 02:14
Im getting spacing between each letter.. becoming a royal pain in the ***!

jh79
March 10th, 2015, 02:26
Im getting spacing between each letter.. becoming a royal pain in the ***!

Yep, that's one of the signs of a bad OCR job on the PDF you're using. I'd redo the OCR on the PDF, or use a different scanner, because you'll be getting unwanted spaces between words throughout the transfer from the PDF to FG, and yes that is a pain to have to keep fixing. I had to redo the OCR once and it fixed it.

dberkompas
March 10th, 2015, 18:46
Anyone working on Book of Lost Spells.

I've got the A's done, if anybody would like to work together to get through this.

BoomerET

Treegreen
March 10th, 2015, 18:49
Anyone working on Book of Lost Spells.

I've got the A's done, if anybody would like to work together to get through this.

BoomerET

I've got the entire thing done, but in order to share it legally I think Necromancer/Frog God has to give us permission and people would need to prove they actually bought it. That seems to be how the Pathfinder stuff people share works.

Trenloe
March 10th, 2015, 19:04
I've got the entire thing done, but in order to share it legally I think Necromancer/Frog God has to give us permission and people would need to prove they actually bought it.
The 5E book of lost spells is released under the Open Gaming License (OGL) - so the "stuff" that isn't product identity (indicated on page 1 of the book) can be distributed as long as the OGL statement (last two pages of the book) is included.

That seems to be how the Pathfinder stuff people share works.
The specific agreement for PFS material for Pathfinder was for distribution of the non-OGL stuff to people who could prove they'd purchased the product. OGL material can always be distributed, with the inclusion of the OGL license. Open the Pathfinder or 3.5e material that comes with FG for an example - they include a "License" or "Legal" entry in the module that includes a relevant copy of the OGL.

dberkompas
March 10th, 2015, 19:16
I need to read page 135

Treegreen
March 10th, 2015, 19:54
The 5E book of lost spells is released under the Open Gaming License (OGL) - so the "stuff" that isn't product identity (indicated on page 1 of the book) can be distributed as long as the OGL statement (last two pages of the book) is included.

The specific agreement for PFS material for Pathfinder was for distribution of the non-OGL stuff to people who could prove they'd purchased the product. OGL material can always be distributed, with the inclusion of the OGL license. Open the Pathfinder or 3.5e material that comes with FG for an example - they include a "License" or "Legal" entry in the module that includes a relevant copy of the OGL.

So this part:

"Product Identity: The following items are hereby identified as Necromancer Games Inc.’s Product Identity, as defined in the Open Game License
version 1.0a, Section 1(e), and are not Open Game Content: product and product line names, logos and identifying marks including trade dress;
artifacts; creatures; characters; stories, storylines, plots, thematic elements, dialogue, incidents, language, artwork, symbols, designs, depictions,
likenesses, formats, poses, concepts, themes and graphic, photographic and other visual or audio representations; names and descriptions of
characters, spells, enchantments, personalities, teams, personas, likenesses and special abilities; places, locations, environments, creatures,
equipment, magical or supernatural abilities or effects, logos, symbols, or graphic designs; and any other trademark or registered trademark clearly
identified as Product Identity. Previously released Open Game Content is excluded from the above list."

seems to indicate the spells fall under their product identity, no? So, not sure any of it could be shared.

Justin Davis
March 10th, 2015, 20:09
Quote Originally Posted by dberkompas

I've already finished the book of Spells, and the rest, but the irony of your comment above did give me a chuckle :D

dberkompas
March 10th, 2015, 20:16
FINALLY, somebody gets it.

I received two IM's about how stupid I am from that post.

One was much worse than the other, but I IM'd both back apologizing if I in any way offended them.

(I really don't get how somebody can get their panties in a bunch of a simple forum post)

On the other side of the coin, I got one user give me a 'Rep' for that same comment.

I quote the late, great Roseanne Roseannadanna:
"Well, Jane, it just goes to show you, it's always something—if it ain't one thing, it's another."

Trenloe
March 10th, 2015, 20:17
Only names and non-mechanics descriptions are classed as product identity. But there are further specific clauses for spells and game mechanics in the actual OGL at the back of the book:

Item 4 in the "License" section on page 135 designates product identity as:

4. The proper names, personality, descriptions and/or motivations of all artifacts, characters, races, countries, geographic locations, plane or planes of existence, gods, deities, events, magic items, organizations and/or groups unique to this book, but not their stat blocks or other game mechanic descriptions (if any), and also excluding any such names when they are included in monster, spell or feat names, and also excluding any of the foregoing if the material is already Open Game Content;
Most of this material was also already published under the OGL for 3.5e/Pathfinder, so that is automatically under an OGL.

Treegreen
March 10th, 2015, 20:27
Only names and non-mechanics descriptions are classed as product identity. But there are further specific clauses for spells and game mechanics in the actual OGL at the back of the book:

Item 4 in the "License" section on page 135 designates product identity as:

Most of this material was also already published under the OGL for 3.5e/Pathfinder, so that is automatically under an OGL.

I'm a bit ignorant of all of the OGL stuff. So, if I just made sure the reference manual included the legal appendix the entire module could be shared? Because I'm probably the last person who needs to determine what is an isn't appropriate to share.

Justin Davis
March 10th, 2015, 21:11
FINALLY, somebody gets it.

I received two IM's about how stupid I am from that post.

One was much worse than the other, but I IM'd both back apologizing if I in any way offended them.

(I really don't get how somebody can get their panties in a bunch of a simple forum post)

Just to set the record straight, I'm more then likely in agreement with whoever sent you those IM's, I think you should treat someone in a forum with respect, and no you shouldn't say any rude thing that comes to your mind..., It should be as if they were standing in front of you and not hideing behind a keyboard with rude posts like the one you made...So no, I "don't get your post"...

dberkompas
March 10th, 2015, 21:15
Consider this yet one more apology sent.

Justin Davis
March 10th, 2015, 21:26
Consider this yet one more apology sent.

It's fine man...

dberkompas
March 10th, 2015, 21:30
As an aside, I've added the character races from Elemental Evil into my Hero Lab plugin for 5E, setup as a checkbox in the 'Configure Hero'

What does this have to do w/ FG you may be asking?

As I did with my Castles & Crusades plugin, I plan on writing a converter to take XML output from my plugin, and create an XML file to import into FG.

Would certainly take some of the pain out of creating characters inside FG.

Justin Davis
March 10th, 2015, 21:48
As an aside, I've added the character races from Elemental Evil into my Hero Lab plugin for 5E, setup as a checkbox in the 'Configure Hero'

What does this have to do w/ FG you may be asking?

As I did with my Castles & Crusades plugin, I plan on writing a converter to take XML output from my plugin, and create an XML file to import into FG.

Would certainly take some of the pain out of creating characters inside FG.

And a shameless plug.. lol, you're really cracking me up this afternoon!...An aside, I will check it out if it's for 5e not Castles and Crusades, not really interested in that game, although I would like to see a true 1st edition completed ruleset. So if your's is 5e and it's cool, i'll use it. Let us know when you're done with it.

dberkompas
March 10th, 2015, 21:53
I'm writing it from scratch, not repurposing my C&C plugin.

Another user has a completed version, but isn't releasing it due to copyrights, which is the same reason I don't release mine.

So, now you're asking yourself... If you released the C&C plugin, why not the 5th Ed?

Simple, I got permission from Troll Lord to release the Hero Lab plugin.

Justin Davis
March 10th, 2015, 22:00
So, now you're asking yourself... If you released the C&C plugin, why not the 5th Ed?
Simple, I got permission from Troll Lord to release the Hero Lab plugin.

No, the only thing I'm asking myself is why are you posting this in a 5e thread if you can't release it and not the Castles and Crusades thread?

Justin Davis
March 20th, 2015, 03:58
Well, I'm done parsing all the core books for 5e D&D, and 5e licensed 3rd party material, the three core books, Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual, Lost Book of Spells, 5e Foe's, and The Temple of Elemental Evil Companion. Besides modules, (have done several of those also) is there anything else left? if there are any core books or officially licensed 5e core books I'm missing, let me know here or personal message me please. Thanks

hawkwind
March 20th, 2015, 15:15
If you fancy some thing a bit different there is a 5e conversion of TSR's Star frontiers game which is a free download at RPGNow

leozelig
March 21st, 2015, 11:42
Do you have to enter the core rulebooks, which I don't think are available in pdf format, by hand? That sounds quite unpleasant! I would just create entries along the way as I needed them, personally. :)

Justin Davis
March 21st, 2015, 13:12
Do you have to enter the core rulebooks, which I don't think are available in pdf format, by hand? That sounds quite unpleasant! I would just create entries along the way as I needed them, personally.

Of course not ! :). You would have to be nuts to do it by hand... You scan the books in with a scanner, and then OCR them into a PDF, Then it's copy and paste into the Parser. The PDF part is easy, it's when you have to use the parser where it get's more complicated.

dberkompas
March 28th, 2015, 04:52
Anyone started on Princes of the Apocolypse, just got my copy today.

It's got Spells!!!!!!

BoomerET

Justin Davis
April 2nd, 2015, 16:09
Princes of the Apocolypse
Just when I thought I was happily done parsing 5e books for a while..., has to go into the collection, here we go again :)

Justin Davis
April 8th, 2015, 04:07
I noticed in the new 5e books made by Fantasy Grounds, in particular the Monster Manual, there are monster pictures in the screenshots next to the opened NPC monster from the Monster Manual.

Are these monster images popping up when the monsters are clicked from the monster manual list ready to share? or is this just sceenshot decoration? as in the images are being open separately from the images folder and placed next to the opened NPC monster to appear they open together?.

If it is true that the picture opens when the monster is clicked from the NPC monster list I'd like to implement this functionality into my parsed Monster Manual. So, In code speak, is this just a triggered click event that references the image folder? I have all the images of all the Monsters from the 5e Monster Manual ready to go in a folder, I just want someone to verify if this is true functionality from the Monster Manual that when and NPC monster is clicked from the Monster Manual, an image also pops up of that monster?

ddavison
April 8th, 2015, 04:21
The image of the monster is linked into the description of the monster. It's an extra click or two but faster than having to search for the image.

Justin Davis
April 12th, 2015, 12:21
The image of the monster is linked into the description of the monster. It's an extra click or two but faster than having to search for the image.

So can the guys that went to the trouble to parse their own books, since they were not available get a look at what this code looks like? (to link a monster picture to each monster in the parsed Monster Manual)? or are we the lost and forgotten? Whats involved here, XML node drilling down? LUA scripting? digging into the parsed XML? How are you targeting that top left button on the NPC, when I pull on it it drags the NPC sheet around, do we have to put an onClickEvent on it to pop the picture? whats the control name for it? A nice little tutorial would be great for us that did our own books...Thanks

ddavison
April 12th, 2015, 13:50
It's even simpler than that. Immediately after the monster stats in your npcs.txt file, you just want to add
##;
#zl;image;MyMonsterPic.jpg;Image (Nerf Herder)
A Nerf herder is a very dangerous monster -- if you are not a nerf. Blah blah blah

Justin Davis
April 12th, 2015, 17:16
Oh OK, I was talking about doing it in XML from the module, I see that more clearly than the parse symbols over and over, but ya, that looks a lot easier then XML node editing, even though I prefer it, thanks a lot man.

Bart
April 24th, 2016, 11:37
thank you in advance please let me know. This is my private email I'm about to give you
personal use only

Bart

Zacchaeus
April 24th, 2016, 11:44
thank you in advance please let me know. This is my private email I'm about to give you
personal use only

Bart

What?

damned
April 24th, 2016, 12:50
personal use only

Bart

Hi Bart - there is NO sharing of par5ed materials permitted.

midas
April 24th, 2016, 15:47
Yeah, I think Bart just read the first post from last year (prior to official stuff being released for sale) and missed Doug's post about not sharing stuff. :)