PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Module - Master of the Fallen Fortress - CORE - Feb. 24th

Blackfoot
February 16th, 2015, 02:45
A dungeon-based adventure for 1st-level characters.

The ruined siege castles outside Absalom have long beckoned adventurers looking to make a name for themselves. Now an earthquake has cracked open one of these fabled ruins, and its lost mysteries and fantastic treasures lie exposed for the first time in centuries. But the tower's empty halls once more echo with living footfalls, and a new master has claimed the Fallen Fortress as his own. Can the PCs find a way to get inside its shattered walls? What ancient dangers and fresh threats will they encounter inside its crumbling chambers? And will the PCs be able to defeat the current Master of the Fallen Fortress?

Sign up on the Game Calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1353) AND Post HERE!
Players will be accepted on the calendar in the order that they post to this thread.
NOTE: This is for PF CORE characters ONLY.

Please post the following information:
Character Name:
Race:
Class:
Level:
Character File: FG .XML preferred... HL .POR accepted... .PDF accepted (but please get .PDFs to me at least 48 hours before gametime).
Please include a copy of your previous chronicle if you have one.

OTHERWISE Post:
Player Name:
PFS#
Faction:
Chronicle #
Starting XP:
Starting Fame/PP:
Starting Gold:

All characters must be posted at least 24 hours prior to the game or your slot will be forfeited.
Players who cannot follow directions will not be accepted.

xazil
February 16th, 2015, 03:09
What is the time you are proposing to run this? I might be able to make this on my level 1 core Bard.

GM BK
February 16th, 2015, 03:15
Although i don't have a core character made yet, i would be interested as well, depending on day and time.

Blackfoot
February 16th, 2015, 03:22
I can work most any time that day... I'll put a few options on the game calendar and we'll see what folks pick.

Blackfoot
February 16th, 2015, 03:26
Although i don't have a core character made yet, i would be interested as well, depending on day and time.
Go ahead and sign up on the game calendar BK.. I put in a bunch of time slots... select all the ones that work for you.

GM BK
February 16th, 2015, 03:46
Coolness, thanks! :)

Blackfoot
February 16th, 2015, 04:01
Hrm. Well it doesn't look like you two are going to be able to play together... we'll have to see who else signs up and when.

xazil
February 16th, 2015, 04:07
I have no problems dropping out if the majority want to go later.

GM BK
February 16th, 2015, 04:18
ya, unfortunately, i work till 3:30pm EST... sometimes 4:30pm... so making the earlier times during the week isn't an option. :( regardless, don't make any special arrangements for me. if everyone else wants to run an earlier time, go for it. I'll catch you the next time around :)

Malkavian_Andi
February 16th, 2015, 04:37
Sounds good. I'll have to create a core character, but at least I know what it's going to be. I do hope there'll be some good melee characters, otherwise that module is really hard.
Character data will come within the next few days.

NaomiLynn
February 16th, 2015, 05:56
I would like to give it ago. i haven't tried anything on FG yet but i would really like to play. i will need to make a character still. I'm in the military so during the week the only good time for me is after 1730 MST (which would be 5:30pm MST). i have played dnd before but only 2nd e and v3.5. i have never tried pathfinder, or heard of it for that matter but I'm a quick learner. If i was to make a character it would probably be a Half-ling Rogue. But i can play whatever race/class the mission will need.

Blackfoot
February 16th, 2015, 06:02
Pathfinder is very similar to D&D 3.5 with a few minor tweaks. We use the Pathfinder Society rules which are specific for Con and one shot style play.. they let you bring your character from one game to the next using the same set of rules. If you check out the threads in this forum they can give you lots of help in finding what you need and I am happy to help you as well. You'll want to download the Guide to Organized Play (https://paizo.com/products/btpy84k4) and get yourself a PFS number on the Paizo website (https://www.paizo.com). Go ahead an tick off which times work for you on the game calendar.

NOTE: This is a CORE only game... so it only uses the rules from the CORE Rulebook.. (which actually makes it simpler in terms of character building).

NaomiLynn
February 16th, 2015, 06:07
Roger thankyou, i am about to check out that guide and get the number now.

NaomiLynn
February 16th, 2015, 06:24
What exactly is the PFS number? and how do i get to it?

Blackfoot
February 16th, 2015, 06:32
Once you create an account on the Paizo website... go to 'My Account' (https://secure.paizo.com/paizo/account) .. like halfway down the page on the left there should be an option for creating a Pathfinder Society Number... I'm sure it's also explained in the Guide if you have trouble finding it. It might say something like 'Register Your Character' or something like that. There is a lot of info for players on This Page (https://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/playerResources).

NaomiLynn
February 16th, 2015, 09:23
ok, well i read the majority of the guide you linked for me. My next question is how do i make a character, the paizo website basically looks like you just enter the data for a character. And FG looks like the same thing. Like there is no real controlled way to do it so that its fair and not cheating.

Blackfoot
February 16th, 2015, 09:33
At the end of each game you get a chronicle sheet... that is a record that you participated in that game. 3 sheets per level (generally speaking). You also keep an Inventory Tracking Sheet with a list of all your purchases... and the stats for your character need to be PFS legal. The GMs are responsible for making sure the character you are playing is legal as are the players themselves. Can you 'cheat' yeah... you probably can.. but when you play with the same folks regularly.. they will know. Your Tracking Sheet and Chronicles keep a record of what gear you should have at any given time and it is somewhat obvious when your character is out of wack. Generally the money, xp, and fame/prestige all need to match from one chronicle to the next. The GM can also do an audit if there seems to be a call for it where they look over all of your chronicles to make sure things make sense. Cheating on the 'build' can't really happen most of the GMs know the system well enough to know what does and doesn't work.

NaomiLynn
February 16th, 2015, 09:53
yea I understood all of that from the play guide. Im trying to figure out how to get your starting attributes. I'm attempting to look up the hero creation guide atm.

Blackfoot
February 16th, 2015, 09:54
You get 20 points to spend.
All stats start at 10
11-13 cost 1 point per point
14-15 cost 2 points per point
16-17 cost 3 points per point
18 costs 4 points
You can also reduce the value:
8-9 gets you 1 point per point
7 gets you 2 points
You cannot reduce any stat below 7
Racial bonuses modify these values.

NaomiLynn
February 16th, 2015, 09:57
aight cool thanks. do you have a link for the character creation book?

Blackfoot
February 16th, 2015, 09:58
Pathfinder Core Rulebook (https://paizo.com/products/btpy88yj)
You can find most of the rules online on the Paizo PRD (https://www.paizo.com/prd).

Victor
February 16th, 2015, 12:32
I'll join in the voting with Bramble, Core Ranger. I can make most of those times. I think this puts me at #5 on the list.

HoloGnome
February 16th, 2015, 13:07
I'd like to play, but I need to put together a Core character. Haven't done that yet.

Trenloe
February 16th, 2015, 16:17
I would like to give it ago. i haven't tried anything on FG yet but i would really like to play. i will need to make a character still. I'm in the military so during the week the only good time for me is after 1730 MST (which would be 5:30pm MST). i have played dnd before but only 2nd e and v3.5. i have never tried pathfinder, or heard of it for that matter but I'm a quick learner.
Hey NaomiLynn, I've sent you a PM regarding Pathfinder Society games on base at Fort Carson - in the Play on Games store.

Blackfoot
February 16th, 2015, 17:42
Based on the signups we're going to go with the 8PM Eastern Slot... sorry xazil that puts you out of this one.

Malkavian_Andi
February 16th, 2015, 18:54
Alright, I managed to create a character. Here he is.
No previous chronicles, it's his first scenario.

Starting gold: 138

NaomiLynn
February 17th, 2015, 00:00
Ok so i have my ability scores, race, class, and skills. How do i determine how many feats i have? Or am i only taking the feats listed in the Special column on the rogue class (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes/rogue.html#rogue) page?

xazil
February 17th, 2015, 00:06
A starting character gets 1 feat. Humans get another feat. Both can be selected from any feat list.

You also have 2 traits, there is a web enhancement download for these (one of the few things in CORE that aren't actually in the core book). https://paizo.com/download/pathfinder/CharacterTraits.zip

Blackfoot
February 17th, 2015, 00:07
It depends on your race.. everyone starts with 1 feat at level one (regardless of class) .. but humans get an extra feat. You can select from any of the feats as long as you meet the prerequisites.

NaomiLynn
February 17th, 2015, 00:23
as far as traits go, where do you mark traits on your character sheet in FG?

Blackfoot
February 17th, 2015, 00:24
Usually I put them under special abilities... and then apply their effects whereever they are appropriate.

xazil
February 17th, 2015, 00:24
I usually put them in the Feats section as that's the closest other feature. I just label them as "Trait:".

xazil
February 17th, 2015, 00:35
I'll also add while its good learning FG by using it, Blackfoot will usually audit, fix and add extra abilities which lets you see even more of the power of the program and its aid in playing.

(No pressure BF :D )

NaomiLynn
February 17th, 2015, 01:02
ok now im on weapons and its confusing as hell lol. how do u make it 1d4/1d6, with the small and medium differences. the only way i can get it to go is 1d4+1d6. and also it keeps giving me an error message when i try to switch the ammo amount for the shortbow. and do items listed in the actions/weapons tab need to be listed in the inventory tab also? and what is with the location field?

Blackfoot
February 17th, 2015, 01:06
I'll tell you what.. are you available to log onto my server and teamspeak? Maybe that'd be the easiest way to walk you through it.
The FG Community Teamspeak Server address is in my signature and my FG address is listed on the game calendar.

NaomiLynn
February 17th, 2015, 01:10
yea sorry lol. gimme a sec, was just about to eat some dinner

Blackfoot
February 17th, 2015, 01:11
That's fine. I'll leave my server up for a while... just pop on when you are available.

GM BK
February 17th, 2015, 02:12
When I first started playing Pathfinder, I watched a lot of this guy's videos on YouTube. He keeps it pretty basic and does a good job of explaining things.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DawnforgedCast

Also, here's a video on how Pathfinder combat works in Fantasy Grounds...

https://youtu.be/DHRBeO6lUWo

NaomiLynn
February 17th, 2015, 04:03
Ok i picked a different trait. Here is the updated character file.

Blackfoot
February 17th, 2015, 05:01
You forgot to give Cale a Favored Class Bonus.. he gets an extra skill point or hit point.

Victor
February 17th, 2015, 05:14
I usually put them in the Feats section as that's the closest other feature. I just label them as "Trait:".

yup. me too. I put them there because 'Feats" is so sparse and "Special Abilities" is usually full of notes.

Blackfoot
February 17th, 2015, 06:37
Dunno.. Feats gets pretty full too... it just takes some time.

NaomiLynn
February 17th, 2015, 08:00
whoops lol, roger. how will i annotate that on the character sheet?

Blackfoot
February 17th, 2015, 08:01
Just tell me which way you want to go and I'll update the sheet on the server.

NaomiLynn
February 18th, 2015, 04:05
ok, i updated the favored class, noted what skill i took and made the adjustment. I also added the appearance and wrote a little background story in the notes section.

xazil
February 19th, 2015, 05:19
Looks like I have more time owing to burn so I should be able to make this now. :)

Blackfoot
February 19th, 2015, 05:20
Cool. That gives us a full boat.

Blackfoot
February 22nd, 2015, 23:18
Still looking for 4 characters and a fair amount of character info.
Please post the following information:
Character Name:
Race:
Class:
Level:
Character File: FG .XML preferred... HL .POR accepted... .PDF accepted (but please get .PDFs to me at least 48 hours before gametime).
Please include a copy of your previous chronicle if you have one.

OTHERWISE Post:
Player Name:
PFS#
Faction:
Chronicle #
Starting XP:
Starting Fame/PP:
Starting Gold:

All characters must be posted at least 24 hours prior to the game or your slot will be forfeited.
Players who cannot follow directions will not be accepted.

xazil
February 22nd, 2015, 23:25
That's on me, they played my game yesterday and I have to get them their chronicles (I choose sleep instead). I'm planning on handing them out today so they can forward on to you.

Blackfoot
February 22nd, 2015, 23:27
I wasn't tryin to rush you, just a reminder. I need your character info as well.

Victor
February 23rd, 2015, 00:39
Not bringing Bramble as he hit level 2.
Making a new guy, Dwarf fighter, will create and post his xml, tracking, et al, within a couple of hours.

xazil
February 23rd, 2015, 00:41
Here you go for Heimrik.

Victor
February 23rd, 2015, 05:25
New guy: Grimdahl
PFS # 154224-5 Faction: Grand Lodge Starting Gold 10gp

Blackfoot
February 23rd, 2015, 15:36
Still looking for characters from HoloGnome and BK. I need to get them today guys.

HoloGnome
February 23rd, 2015, 15:58
I'll definitely post mine today. I'm still looking over a few things and considering a stat change. Attached are my latest chronicle and avatars.

I would appreciate it if you could please put my token_ prefix files in the tokens directory. If I can place them from the token window in FG as is, they will look great, even when I zoom the map. Thx! :) (FG has poor token scaling, especially when dragged from the character portrait/avatar to the token slot.)

GM BK
February 23rd, 2015, 16:40
Sorry! :( I will post it when I get home tonight! Some time around 6:00pm EST. :)

GM BK
February 23rd, 2015, 23:10
Here you go! Sorry for the delay! :) 7sp, 7cp remaining after purchasing gear.

HoloGnome
February 24th, 2015, 00:08
Animal Companion

Victor
February 24th, 2015, 01:28
Hey Holo, we have like 4 or 5 Melee characters in this one. Keep that funny looking dog of yours out of my way!

Blackfoot
February 24th, 2015, 01:54
Did I miss the file for Axxis somewhere or have you not gotten to that one yet?

HoloGnome
February 24th, 2015, 02:19
OK - just uploaded the latest ones - Blood updated to 1.2 (minor change) and Axxis updated to 1.2 in her post above. Axxis took a little longer - had to do some stat and inventory juggling. Now better at melee and at light encumbrance. Also, added more back-story.

Pre-Game Stuff:
Buying Masterwork Scythe: -300gp
Selling Belt Pouch: +1gp

Victor: I used my Speak with Animals wand. He thinks you smell like lunch.

NaomiLynn
February 24th, 2015, 03:46
Here is my previous chronicle sheet for the quest from saturday. i didnt update anything on the character yet, i wasnt sure if i should do that or if you had to or what. Other then that i should be all good to go, i dont think im going to buy anything yet.

xazil
February 24th, 2015, 13:42
Here is my previous chronicle sheet for the quest from saturday. i didnt update anything on the character yet, i wasnt sure if i should do that or if you had to or what. Other then that i should be all good to go, i dont think im going to buy anything yet.

Some people buy at the end of a scenario, others more at the start. If you are buying a lot at the start you should really submit a list to the GM so you aren't using up much game time.

As we mentioned at the end of the scenario often a Wand of Cure Light Wounds is a nice buy with your initial 2PP, but its not compulsory.

Also for cash you should probably be looking maybe rounding out some of the basics you couldn't afford on your initial 150 and then things like Masterwork weapons and/or armour to taste.

NaomiLynn
February 24th, 2015, 17:20
How much is masterwork stuff. i think i seen it somewhere but idr. And idt i will have time tonight before the game. depends if we have pt or we get off early.

HoloGnome
February 24th, 2015, 17:24
It depends on the item - for weapons it's +300gp to the cost for typical masterwork. If you use a special material, like mithral, the cost is subsumed in the material, since mithral items are always masterwork. Masterwork armor is +150gp to the cost.

Weapons and Armor (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/equipment.html)
(just search on masterwork on that page)

Blackfoot
February 24th, 2015, 17:38
You could by a Darkwood Composite Shortbow (STR +1) for 470 gp and Masterwork Thieves' Tools for 100 gp you get the full sellback on your current gear until your first game at level 2 so you can actually afford both if they tickled your fancy.

GM BK
February 24th, 2015, 21:59
Corrected an error, changed some equipment around and added a background story... Remaining Coin: 19gp, 7sp, 7cp

Blackfoot
February 25th, 2015, 00:04
BK.. when I add up the items on your tracking sheet I come out with 29.77 gp.. you got 10 gp messed up there. Also you do get 1 outfit for 'free'... so theoretically you have 30.77 left.. assuming you feel you don't need/want an extra outfit.

Blackfoot
February 25th, 2015, 00:13
HoloGnome, a signet ring cannot be used as a divine focus. You need an actual holy symbol. There is no 'reskinning' in PFS.. and this is CORE.

Also, to get this out there in advance... A piece of vine from her hair will not work as 'plants' for Entangle. If they were somehow 'alive' then maybe you could use them to entangle a 5' square... but they will not cover a 40' radius... but even that is pushing it.

GM BK
February 25th, 2015, 00:51
I fail at math sometimes... thanks! :)

HoloGnome
February 25th, 2015, 07:25
Great game! Glad Axxis is still alive! ;-) Thanks, Heimrik!

GM BK
February 25th, 2015, 07:32
Good game! Thanks for hosting and thanks for the help! :)

Victor
February 25th, 2015, 23:37
Hey BF, sorry for being a flake, but could you change my purchase from a MWK Dwarven axe to a plain old Breastplate (200gp), thanks.
If the Chron is already done don't worry about it, I'll just sell and rebuy at the start of the next mission. Thanks again for running this one. Was lots of fun. I REALLY liked the ending. :)

dragonicfeline
March 4th, 2015, 20:12
hmm, is this still ongoing? would like to join if you have the room for it, only played a few games though, so still a little new on the gameplay, have an idea for my character, but don't want to go too in depth with him until i know for sure if i can get in on this

Blackfoot
March 4th, 2015, 21:11
These PFS games are generally 1 shot scenarios. They run on the date listed and then another event is scheduled somewhere down the line.
As long as your character is PFS legal, you can bring it from one scenario to the next and earn gold and xp to progress with different GMs and in a time frame that suits your schedule. Take a look at the threads that are stickied in this Forum (Pathfinder Society) for more information.. and subscribe to the Game Announcements thread.

dragonicfeline
March 4th, 2015, 21:36
thank you for the tip