PDA

View Full Version : Gauging Interest for a Castle & Crusades Game

SpyNavy
February 14th, 2015, 03:40
FG License: GM has ULTIMATE
Game System: Castle and Crusades

Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Day of week and time: Saturday (preferred) Sunday (alternate) nights (830-1130PM EST)
If new game, planned start date: TBD based on interest
Planned Frequency: Weekly if possible
Term: Long Term depending on group dynamic may alternate game (DnD 5E, Savage Worlds, Shadowrun etc...) if players/GM want a change of pace.

Text or Voice: Voice Preferred w/some text
Voice software used: TBD, probably Teamspeak

Roleplay & Combat mix: 50/50
Number of Players in game & needed: 4 total, have none at this point
Character starting level & equipment: 1st Level Standard
Character restrictions: i.e. Only core races and classes

Details of scenario: Will run stock C&C, I'll use Obsidian Portal and Realm Works for Campaign Management etc... If group works out well players may want to purchase players version of Realm Works but that wont be required.

Link to Gamecalendar page: TBD

jhall6766
February 14th, 2015, 04:02
im interested in this... pm me details when you have them....

Kiqjaq
February 14th, 2015, 04:04
I'm interested in joining. Main caveat is that I'm fairly new to DnD (a few months) and have only played Pathfinder thus far; is C&C a different ruleset then?
By funny coincidence I actually have the Castles and Crusaders dlc, so if that's a thing then that's a thing.

As per logistics babble: I'd prefer Friday games. Couldn't hope to make Sunday ones since I have another game then, and Wednesday is a bit awkward to plan games around yeh?

SpyNavy
February 14th, 2015, 05:16
I'm interested in joining. Main caveat is that I'm fairly new to DnD (a few months) and have only played Pathfinder thus far; is C&C a different ruleset then?
By funny coincidence I actually have the Castles and Crusaders dlc, so if that's a thing then that's a thing.

As per logistics babble: I'd prefer Friday games. Couldn't hope to make Sunday ones since I have another game then, and Wednesday is a bit awkward to plan games around yeh?

Got it. Friday is probably primary, but I'll see what other folks may choose. Right now I'm partial to Friday myself.

damned
February 14th, 2015, 07:54
is C&C a different ruleset then?

Castles&Crusades is kinda like Pathfinder. They are both variants of Dungeons&Dragons.
C&C is more old school - less min/maxed characters, no freaky races etc.
Very easy to pick up.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-3.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Ellspeth
February 14th, 2015, 12:01
CnC is a lot of fun. As others noted fewer races, and I don't know if it is our GM's or what, but early on characters are struggling against the forces of evil with more heart than skill, but that is what makes them heroic, they fight with out superhero qualities. In one of my CnC we had almost a tpk a few weeks ago, spent a few weeks in town resting, getting training, found a new friend in the tavern that has joined us, just in time to see two player characters die in a fight where we were again incredibly unmatched, in that same tavern where we were ambushed. In fact that fight isn't over, we are currently stepping over the bodies of friend and foe alike trying to get the rest of our party out of there alive, knowing the bad guys that killed our friends are still lurking about under the cover of invisibility potions. Meantime my mountebank bard, even while fighting has the words of The Last Fight of the Paladin of Pelor going through the back of her mind, as well as the value of the Paladin's armor. Good luck with your game gentlemen, and may the dice Gods smile on your group to the same degree they seem to be frowning on ours.

JohnD
February 14th, 2015, 16:43
Nice to see another C&C game getting started. If only my mid-week evenings would get less complicated I could get mine going again.

All the best, it's a great ruleset.

SDonFG
February 14th, 2015, 17:55
As a long-time enthusiast of C&C I'm fairly interested, although Fridays are generally out for me.

In any case, were you intending to run any of the TLG modules, or any other published materials?

SpyNavy
February 14th, 2015, 19:26
My intention is to bounce between TLG modules, self made stuff, and conversions of other modules from various sources. I'll stick with the TLG "campaign setting" as the "world". For timeline - I'm thinking either Friday or Saturday now as far as game night. I'm considering running a test this evening if there is any interest. Otherwise I'll look to start as soon as I have 3 players with 4 maximum.

C&C reminds me of the original D&D rules. Characters struggle a lot more and everything is earned. A lot more streamlined than Pathfinder. I love Pathfinder, but I thought I'd run something a little different and see where it goes.

damned
February 14th, 2015, 23:31
CnC is a lot of fun. As others noted fewer races, and I don't know if it is our GM's or what, but early on characters are struggling against the forces of evil with more heart than skill, but that is what makes them heroic, they fight with out superhero qualities. In one of my CnC we had almost a tpk a few weeks ago, spent a few weeks in town resting, getting training, found a new friend in the tavern that has joined us, just in time to see two player characters die in a fight where we were again incredibly unmatched, in that same tavern where we were ambushed. In fact that fight isn't over, we are currently stepping over the bodies of friend and foe alike trying to get the rest of our party out of there alive, knowing the bad guys that killed our friends are still lurking about under the cover of invisibility potions. Meantime my mountebank bard, even while fighting has the words of The Last Fight of the Paladin of Pelor going through the back of her mind, as well as the value of the Paladin's armor. Good luck with your game gentlemen, and may the dice Gods smile on your group to the same degree they seem to be frowning on ours.

I find players need to really be a little more cautious at L1! Gotta work together, gotta know when to stop, gotta not look at combat as the primary means of resolving everything :)

SpyNavy
February 14th, 2015, 23:43
Of everyone who is interested - what is the best choice for night Wed, Fri, or Sat?

Edit: Going to start off with the modules built into the DLC, so modules A0, A1, A2 etc...

JohnD
February 15th, 2015, 00:22
Have you established a campaign page yet?

SpyNavy
February 15th, 2015, 00:26
I hadnt planned on starting a campaign page until I had enough players.

jhall6766
February 15th, 2015, 00:45
@Spynavy - Just in disclosure I have those mods your planning on running and have started to go through them in order to someday run a game or two myself... Also Fridays may not be doable for me... Just figured I would let you know.... If this isn't a problem I am still Interested...

SpyNavy
February 15th, 2015, 00:49
@Spynavy - Just in disclosure I have those mods your planning on running and have started to go through them in order to someday run a game or two myself... Also Fridays may not be doable for me... Just figured I would let you know.... If this isn't a problem I am still Interested...

What day is good for you? I'm pretty open these days with an infant, we dont go out as much anymore. My time is dictated by what time my boys go to bed etc... The fact that you have run through the modules isnt a problem for me as I use them as a baseline and will likely diverge at times.

jhall6766
February 15th, 2015, 01:01
Most days are good my two iffy days are Weds. and Friday but can do most any other day or time.... I haven't run through them so to say... I've just started reading through them in order to see what prep work is needed as well as where I can add my own little twists...

SpyNavy
February 15th, 2015, 01:02
Saturday is probably good then - Friday may get busy for me especially at the end of the work week.

jhall6766
February 15th, 2015, 01:06
That works well for me as well...

SpyNavy
February 15th, 2015, 01:07
So we have one now :)

I'll start prepping for a Saturday game - next weekend. I'll put up a page at Obsidian Portal and get emails for invites. I typically use Obsidian Portal for Campaign Management and scheduling, but have started using Realm Works for some stuff as well. The Pathfinder game I run - my players have Player's Licenses for Realm Works and it is pretty good tool.

jhall6766
February 15th, 2015, 01:37
No problem... I currently have a full license for Realm Works as well...

SpyNavy
February 15th, 2015, 11:25
I had expected a little more interest in the game. Any thoughts on recruiting?

Mask_of_winter
February 15th, 2015, 11:36
Patience. Many people don't go online on the weekends.

The FG Steam forums are a good place to look. Facebook or G+ C&C groups and communities.

But yeah. Patience. Give it a good two weeks bud.

SpyNavy
February 15th, 2015, 11:56
Thanks Mask - I forgot about posting in the League as well. I'm stepping back into tabletop again heavily and I'm anxious to get rolling again. I've been DMing/GMing a game on Mondays of Pathfinder and DnD 5E with FG, but looking to branch out a bit.

Mask_of_winter
February 15th, 2015, 12:44
If you build it, they will come...

You'd probably fill the game up on SXG and we'd be happy to have you but then you'd have to meet with the execs and follow the few rules we have. There are benefits of running games under the SXG banner. The main one is even though we have over a dozen active GM's and a pool of reliable players. Members hang out on our teamspeak channel, there's always someone willing to help you out and we tend to all know each other so it's an extended group really.

GunnarGreybeard
February 15th, 2015, 14:26
Its also a holiday weekend in the US so that may be affecting the current lack of interest.

SpyNavy
February 15th, 2015, 14:44
No worries, good data points I hadnt considered.

jhall6766
February 15th, 2015, 16:02
Their come ..... Just takes a little time ...

jhall6766
February 15th, 2015, 16:21
Have you PMed Kiqjac ... He seemed interested... If so that would make 2..

Kiqjaq
February 16th, 2015, 05:55
Have you PMed Kiqjac ... He seemed interested... If so that would make 2..

Of course I'm interested, thought I said so. :P

jhall6766
February 16th, 2015, 06:16
Kool then I guess That makes 2 .. Hoping we manage to get 2 or 3 more...

Andraax
February 16th, 2015, 09:54
I may be interested, depending on day / time...

jhall6766
February 16th, 2015, 15:19
I may be interested, depending on day / time...

It would be nice to have you on board.... Its not my game but I think he was leaning to a Saturday night game.However I believe that is still up for discussion..

Kiqjaq
February 16th, 2015, 16:51
Kool then I guess That makes 2 .. Hoping we manage to get 2 or 3 more...

I have a brother with whom I frequently play. Need to see if he's available at that time, but there's a good chance I can get him to join.
Shall I ask?

jhall6766
February 16th, 2015, 18:04
I have a brother with whom I frequently play. Need to see if he's available at that time, but there's a good chance I can get him to join.
Shall I ask?

Sure why not... As far as I know he is looking for a total group of 4 or 5 .. You and I are 2 . I don't know if he has any others. He posted on several pages. I haven't heard much since Saturday.. There is a couple more people interested here on this page..So the interest is here... SO I guess we wait and see what happens..

JohnD
February 16th, 2015, 18:25
In my observed experience, opening up a campaign page seems to attract players quickly when referenced in a thread like this. No campaign page seems to lead to a situation where nobody knows who is interested, when things are happening, etc... impacts recruiting.

I can't do "every" week, otherwise I'd be strongly considering this myself.

jhall6766
February 16th, 2015, 18:37
In my observed experience, opening up a campaign page seems to attract players quickly when referenced in a thread like this. No campaign page seems to lead to a situation where nobody knows who is interested, when things are happening, etc... impacts recruiting.

I can't do "every" week, otherwise I'd be strongly considering this myself.

Hi John,
It would be nice having you on board.

JohnD
February 17th, 2015, 17:38
Hi John,
It would be nice having you on board.

Yes, well, let's see where this goes first. :)

SpyNavy
February 17th, 2015, 17:44
Gentlemen, I'm going to run my game over at https://extraordinarygamers.com/ Register over there and you'll see several games over there on the calendar. Going to be much easier to coordinate and they will a much broader timeframe of games.

Kiqjaq
February 17th, 2015, 22:27
Mmmm I'm not really seeing anything on the calendar that looks like this topic.

SDonFG
February 22nd, 2015, 04:13
Same here - I've registered on extraordinarygames.com but don't see anything on the calendar resembling this. I'm likely still interested if the OP still plans to run a C&C campaign sometime in the near future.