PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting:Mightier than the sword (7th Sea)

Findanniin
February 13th, 2015, 16:45
Edit:

The group is currently full, at four members. If however, you found this thread no matter where it was buried because you're so enthusiastic for a 7th Sea game - by all means drop me a PM. I can juggle heavily individualised plotlines for the 4 people I've got, but there's room for supporting cast.
​If that doesn't appeal - Getting your e-mail address to me will still see you get an invitation if one of the current fantastic four has to leave.

Hi Guys.

Starting March, God willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be hosting 7th Sea on Saturdays - every other week, 20:00 EST.

It's become something of a Cult game now (sorta like that one game, Kult) - but it's always been my favourite fantasy setting.
It's historical Europe, with all the nations cut out of their most interesting historical period and then pushed back, roughly in place and slightly worse for wear, and informed that they're now all in the 17th century.
With a bit of sorcery sprinkled on top and some Chtulhian horror lurking deep, deep underneath.

It's a game of stealing the McGuffin out from under the nose of the evil prince, while swinging from chandeliers and stealing a kiss from his daughter on the way out.
It's a game of courtly intrigue - where a whispered word is more dangerous than a thousand swords.
It's a game of discovery and the high seas, with new continents waiting to be braved by daring men and women.

And it's those men and women I'm missing.

Let me get to the nitty gritty:

I, your esteemed Game Master, live in China - and my internet is horrid. This will be a text based game, with optional Teamspeak for rules questions and ooc banter. I'll be there, but I might have trouble understanding you - and I might sound like I'm speaking to you from inside a fishbowl. The internet is like waves of a virtual ocean. It comes and goes.

I'm looking for no more than 4 players, and currently have 3 maybes. Please apply - I want to hear from you. I'm looking to start something long term however, and as such; I don't want to do 'first come first served'. Tell me something about what you're looking for in a game.

What I'm looking for in a player is as follows:

Someone more interested in the character he's playing than in the numbers on the sheet. You will fence off 6 men at a time, laugh in the face of danger and claim that 20 vs 2 are poor odds... for your opponents. Even if you don't min-max.
So I need to know about the character.
The setting is rich, and if you have a baseline concept and are willing to flesh it out - That's what I want to hear.

You don't need to know the rules, and you don't need to be familiar with the setting - but if not you must be wiling to do a light bit of reading. Not novels, and not entire books; but a primer and some more details about your own chosen nation / region / background.

You're responsible and aware that setting a game in a weekend means sometimes, you'll have to let fun stuff go because you made a commitment. Let me know you can't make it in a timely fashion, and of course there's no problem.
But before you join, be aware that there will be Saturday night texts from friends who invite you to a last minute "The Avengers 2" viewing, and I will expect you to say "sorry Bro, I have to swing from chandeliers and generally be awesome."

So, clearly - I'm getting a pretty awesome player out of this.

What do you get?

You get a game that shifts to meet your preferences. I treat the game I'm running as a TV show, and like all good TV shows, the main cast (that's you guys) get their own episodes. Your backgrounds and plot hooks will be a large part of the campaign framework.

You get to really affect an established world. I'm not big on railroading and I know the setting pretty well. That means you can make some pretty hefty changes to the campaign world timeline. 7th Sea has an official timeline, and I'm looking forward to giving you guys the ability to really change it up - or make the choices the game expects you to make.

If that sounds like a fair trade; leave me a reply or a PM here.

Findanniin
February 13th, 2015, 16:49
PS:

I have a full FG license, so you'd have to provide your own if the campaign will be held on Fantasy Grounds.
The R&K ruleset isn't that easy to implement, and I'm currently toying with it both on here, and on Roll20 - I'll be using the VTT that's easiest to get working with R&K.
If that's a dealbreaker - please mention which (FG for license, R20 for ... principle?) has your preference.

bcp001
February 13th, 2015, 20:03
We had a 7 seas game when it first came out, it crashed and burned when every brute squad had muskets and then somehow a grenade launcher appeared. Up till then though it was fun playing my defrocked priest who relied on carrying a half dozen pistols while everyone else was some awesome swordsman.

My friend's disdainful "I bleed on your country" as his Spaniard lay dying after being run through and thrown off a roof in La Rocelle was the highlight. It's a great setting, I wish i could play but that's a bit of a late start for me.

damned
February 13th, 2015, 21:30
With a bit of sorcery sprinkled on top and some Chtulhian horror lurking deep, deep underneath.

It's a game of stealing the McGuffin out from under the nose of the evil prince, while swinging from chandeliers and stealing a kiss from his daughter on the way out.
It's a game of courtly intrigue - where a whispered word is more dangerous than a thousand swords.
It's a game of discovery and the high seas, with new continents waiting to be braved by daring men and women.

I hope you get this together - it sounds like a lot of fun.
I cant play - too much on my plate and TZ differences etc.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-1.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Dr_Babylon
February 13th, 2015, 22:54
I don't know the system but I like what I've seen on the setting and theme. Count me in if you go the FG route. I'm pretty sure I have a Lite license, if that's a real thing. If you have room for dramatic interaction and intrigue, then Dr Babylon will be happy to scooch in there.

1ifeblood
February 14th, 2015, 02:18
This sounds exactly like something I would want to be a part of...but Saturdays? Man, I wish I could.

Dr_Babylon
February 15th, 2015, 19:30
I've got a soft-spoken, precociously sultry beauty of a Vodacce girl out from under her family's thumb and far from home for the first time. Emiliana D'Ambrosio is positively starry-eyed over the new experiences all around her but it's clear to anyone she's out of her depth. She'd sure like a cunning swashbuckler or hard-eyed pistolero (one of each, perhaps?) to watch over her before she gets eaten alive by the hidden predators at court.

Taonna
February 16th, 2015, 09:18
As it stands I'm off Saturdayso so I would love to give it a shot I've never played the system either so hit me up if you go the FL route

Findanniin
February 16th, 2015, 10:24
Hi Taonna - by all means shoot me a PM.
What are you looking for in a game exactly? What makes a session a good session?

If you'd like just a bit more game setting info, check out https://7th-sea.wikia.com/wiki/7th_sea_Wiki.
The articles are pretty short and to the point and should give a solid footing, without being too long and tedious to read.

damned
February 16th, 2015, 11:52
I've got a soft-spoken, precociously sultry beauty of a Vodacce girl out from under her family's thumb and far from home for the first time. Emiliana D'Ambrosio is positively starry-eyed over the new experiences all around her but it's clear to anyone she's out of her depth. She'd sure like a cunning swashbuckler or hard-eyed pistolero (one of each, perhaps?) to watch over her before she gets eaten alive by the hidden predators at court.

please, please, please give Dr_Babylon a run! he will keep the colourful narrative going in all the right directions :)

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-12.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Dr_Babylon
February 16th, 2015, 20:45
You are simply far too kind, damned. But I do indeed hope to contribute to a bracing tale of sly intrigue and splendid derring-do.

Findanniin
February 17th, 2015, 05:44
Aye, the colourfully strange person who's quickly warming my heart is indeed on board.

So far, the party that will be hobnobbing with the rich and powerful of Montaigne consists of the aforementioned belle, and a gypsy knife-thrower from a savage land.

Recipe for drama? Feel the urge to save the day (or the belle)? Want to be the noble-hearted duellist/swordsman this party cries out for?
Apply today!

Dr_Babylon
February 17th, 2015, 06:12
After all, what is la belle demoiselle without le bête noire?

Findanniin
February 17th, 2015, 23:57
One more burly Usurran joins the merry gang of troublemakers.

We've got a party that works pretty well with archetypes for social interaction.
The "innocent waif", The "cunning gypsy" and the "Wise savage" should play well off each other (Sorry guys, I know there's more to your characters than this ;). but if anyone's feeling the urge to add say...
an erudite scholar or dashing duelist to the above mix...?

Dr_Babylon
February 18th, 2015, 03:06
A mysterious avenger with no land to call his own? A stoic veteran soldier running away from his own cowardice forever at his heels? A mad inventor who speaks in rhyme and believes he's destined to walk on the moon?

Vgamer
February 18th, 2015, 07:30
If anyone drops let me know, I could see myself playing this. Thanks

Dr_Babylon
February 18th, 2015, 07:40
I daresay the point was that we could still rather benefit from an additional member or two. If you are indeed interested and can meet the stipulations proposed in the premier post, then, by all means, please do contact Findanniin by PM or state your intentions here.

The more the merrier?

Findanniin
February 19th, 2015, 10:44
Hi V,
By all means - contact me; We're currently still 3/4 :).

That said, I've been kidnapped and am spending this week in tropical Sanya - so replies might be a bit slow until I'm home.