PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e Condition Cards

Vishera
February 9th, 2015, 02:46
I created some condition cards that will pop up on a player's screen when their character receives a specific condition such as poison, grappled, etc. They give a brief description of what the effect does to their character. I am waiting for permission from WotC to freely distribute these to anyone that is interested. Here's a couple sample cards.

kane280484
February 9th, 2015, 08:23
They pop-up automatically? Nice work, I hope some deal with WotC is gonna happen soon.

Vishera
February 9th, 2015, 09:54
well not automatically, but all I do is share the image as I am explaining to the player he was splashed in the eye with some unknown substance and now he is blinded or poisoned.

kane280484
February 9th, 2015, 11:20
Still good idea, I'm gonna try and implement it to PFRPG.

sukEEt
February 9th, 2015, 13:13
great idea, how did you create them?

Vishera
February 9th, 2015, 17:48
great idea, how did you create them?

Photoshop

demonsbane
February 9th, 2015, 17:57
I like these cards, well done.

Vishera
February 11th, 2015, 03:13
thanks. WotC sent me a form to fill out for a request to use their intellectual property so hopefully they will accept it and maybe get the hint to print something similar like Paizo did with PF condition cards ^_^

casteffens
August 6th, 2016, 20:10
thanks. WotC sent me a form to fill out for a request to use their intellectual property so hopefully they will accept it and maybe get the hint to print something similar like Paizo did with PF condition cards ^_^

So what is the status? Can you share/sell them?

Thanks.

LordEntrails
August 6th, 2016, 22:14
I'm also curious how you got that form. I have yet to find a means to contact them to request similar request to license their IP.

rob2e
August 7th, 2016, 01:14
Yes, that's a great idea. We are constantly looking up conditions. I can never remember them. I can remember the most obscure rulings, but cannot seem to remember these damn conditions. Are you able to share?

Trenloe
August 7th, 2016, 23:40
As the OGL has come out since this discussion started, you could make a public module based off any conditions listed in the 5E SRD (and include the OGL text in the module).

Vishera
August 9th, 2016, 21:43
I'm also curious how you got that form. I have yet to find a means to contact them to request similar request to license their IP.

I forgot where I found it, but they never got back to me. I would assume based on the license as long as they aren't sold I can distro the module?

Trenloe
August 9th, 2016, 21:46
I would assume based on the license as long as they aren't sold I can distro the module?
If it's their Intellectual Property, is covered by copyright, and is not part of the OGL SRD then, no. Distributing stuff for free does not remove copyright restrictions.

If the "stuff" is now part of the OGL SRD then you can redistribute it, sell it, etc. as long as you include the correct OGL statement, adhere to the requirements of the OGL and do not include other copyright protected material without permission.

Vishera
August 9th, 2016, 21:47
conditions aren't listed in the SRD?

Trenloe
August 9th, 2016, 21:49
conditions aren't listed in the SRD?
I specifically stated "and is not part of the OGL SRD". I haven't checked which/what conditions are part of the SRD.

Vishera
August 9th, 2016, 21:51
gotcha, I'll have to take a look. I want to make sure everything is OK with it before distributing to anyone.

Myrdin Potter
August 9th, 2016, 21:51
To be clear, you can make your own condition cards from SRD materials as long as you follow the rules of the OGL. If someone else did the artwork and design of what you are showing, then you need their permission to use the artwork and design.

That is the same for almost all OGL materials, including anything created by third parties.

If you do not understand the OGL, please do a little online research.

Vishera
August 9th, 2016, 21:53
I believe the only artwork used from them is the D&D logo at the bottom, which I think they allow use of but I'll have to double check. all else fails, people are just going to have to make their own. It isn't hard by any means.

Myrdin Potter
August 9th, 2016, 22:02
If you look at OGL content that has been published, the D&D logo is never used. I am pretty sure the name is forbidden to be used and the logo is protected.

You could create a graphic 5e and use it.

You must include the OGL and follow the instructions inside of it.

LordEntrails
August 9th, 2016, 23:17
Yea, the D&D logo (and the name Dungeons & Dragons) is copyrighted. The letters 5E are not.

Trenloe
August 10th, 2016, 00:40
There are a few 5E compatibility logos around. For example: https://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?keywords=5e+logo&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=&x=0&y=0

rob2e
August 13th, 2016, 06:30
What's the latest on sharing this?

LordEntrails
August 13th, 2016, 07:14
What's the latest on sharing this?
As prototyped in the OP, they can not be shared without a license from WotC. Which apparently has never been granted and probably won't. But, someone could create these based upon the information in the SRD5 and using their own graphics and no protected IP (like the name D&D) and distribute them. But, I don't think anyone has created such, yet.

A quick Google shows someone has already done it in PDF and other forms. You would just have to figure out how you would implement these in FG.

rob2e
August 13th, 2016, 07:38
It seems a simple conditions mod could be made (with no graphics).

Trenloe
August 13th, 2016, 08:10
It seems a simple conditions mod could be made (with no graphics).
It seems we have a volunteer! :)

rob2e
August 13th, 2016, 08:14
Ha! Now that I think more about it, what can you really do (if more than just making a list) for FG without graphics that would be better than just pulling up the link for Appendix A. Seems this really isn't needed unless you WERE going to include graphics. Am I missing anything?

LordEntrails
August 13th, 2016, 18:45
Ha! Now that I think more about it, what can you really do (if more than just making a list) for FG without graphics that would be better than just pulling up the link for Appendix A. Seems this really isn't needed unless you WERE going to include graphics. Am I missing anything?
I don't know what you would do with them.

There is already the condition/effects that can be applied either through actions or the effects list. If you just want a reference as to what they mean, as you say you can link to the reference, or you can look at my Decal extension that gives you a background decal that has all the effects and their text listed (plus more).

rob2e
August 13th, 2016, 18:58
I know for me (and some other DMs) I can have 95% of the 5E rules memorized, but I'm constantly asking myself, "Dammit, what does that condition do again?" Ha! It's nice to have a HANDY reference to them, like on WotC's DM screen, and rather than hot linking appendix A of the PHB or SRD (which I am absolutely going to do now that I think about it), it would be cool to splash players with a graphical card I guess, but alas IP is the master (monster) we all have to fear there.

LordEntrails
August 13th, 2016, 19:14
I know for me (and some other DMs) I can have 95% of the 5E rules memorized, but I'm constantly asking myself, "Dammit, what does that condition do again?" Ha! It's nice to have a HANDY reference to them, like on WotC's DM screen, and rather than hot linking appendix A of the PHB or SRD (which I am absolutely going to do now that I think about it), it would be cool to splash players with a graphical card I guess, but alas IP is the master (monster) we all have to fear there.

Me too, that's why I made the quick reference decal. Check it out, it's in my signature. It does get buried behind all the windows, but you can also pull out the images and put them in a campaign and just pop them open when you want.