PDA

View Full Version : Connection Test Failure

Alzarian Crimson
February 8th, 2015, 23:21
For months, I've had a successful connection test result and now that I actually am ready to host a game, all I get are connection test failures. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem could be?

JerryRig
February 8th, 2015, 23:34
come into Teamspeak (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server) ...lets see if we can trouble shoot it

Andraax
February 8th, 2015, 23:37
Sounds like you have your computer on DHCP and the router decided to hand it a different IP address, while the rule in the router's firewall is still pointing to your old address.

Alzarian Crimson
February 8th, 2015, 23:51
In teamspeak, where are you?

Also, Andraax, at the risk of sounding daft.... Whaaaaa?

damned
February 9th, 2015, 00:35
Alzarian - I can help you in the next 15mins only.
In FG Con Community TeamSpeak Server.

JerryRig
February 9th, 2015, 01:08
Looks like hes might have him a virus ....wasn't the port forwarding thing yet. He's working on remedying his possible other problems his child may have given his PC.

Alzarian Crimson
February 9th, 2015, 14:49
Fixed! Thank you! It seems that I needed to forward the port. Here's how I did it, just in case you're having a similar problem and need a little additional info to get it done.

Problem: Fantasy Grounds Server Test results in a “Failure.”

Solution: Make sure port “1802” is open and forwarding both on your router and modem.

In order to solve this problem (at least as I understand it), you have to know what your computer’s specific IP information is and then take that information to the admin pages of your router and modem.

1. Find your router info. Get to a DOS prompt. I do this on Windows 7 by going to the “start” button on the bottom left of my screen, selecting “Accessories” then selecting “Command Prompt.” At the command prompt, type “ipconfig /all”. (Note, there is a space between the g and the /). You will get a listing of all kinds of numbers. The ones you are looking for are:

a. “Default Gateway”
b. “Subnet Mask”
c. “DNS Server” IP Address
d. Computer’s “Internal IP”

Write these numbers down.

2. Get to your router admin page. Open up your internet browser. In the address bar, type: “https://” and then your Default Gateway number. Hit Enter. This should take you to the admin page of your router. It will likely ask you for a username and password. User name should be “admin” and password should be “password” (unless you’ve changed it before).

3. Open/Forward Port. Find the “Forward Port” button on the router admin page to get to the port forwarding interface. You will either see a list of entries that can be altered, or you will see no list. If you see no list, look for an “add” button. Add port 1802. Make sure that it is pointing to your computer’s Internal IP.

4. Test. Close out and boot up your Fantasy Grounds and run a Server Test. If it comes back as a Failure, it could mean that your modem is separate from your router and you may have to do the same thing for your modem as we did for the router. (Mine was the same)

5. Modem. Follow steps 2-4 for your modem by using your DNS Server IP Address instead of your Default Gateway number.

6. Good Luck!!

willjust
October 24th, 2015, 22:06
I too am getting a connection fail when I click on the run test button

damned
October 25th, 2015, 05:05
Hey willjust I can help you with this if you like - send me a PM.

soloder
December 21st, 2015, 22:29
I am having a similar issue, it was working yesterday but today it will fail the connection test. I have port forwarded as described above, and have double checked my firewall to make sure it wasn't blocked... not sure what else I can do. Anyone free to help me troubleshoot?

damned
December 22nd, 2015, 00:08
Please check that you still have the same LAN IP Address on your PC.
Also try rebooting the Router.

TheRedFox8
December 26th, 2015, 02:42
Dunno if this is a good fix or not, but as of now (December 25, 2015 at 8:38) I got a successful connection test after:

Allowing access through the firewall
Port forwarding 1802 (TCP/UDP) to my local IP (192.168.0.9)
Disabling Hamachi's virtual ethernet adapter through the control panel.

I've been fighting this for the good part of the past couple hours, and I started with port forwarding 1802. It worked... for a day. Then it refused connections. Then, after keeping 1802 forwarded, I opened up 1803, which worked... for day. Tonight, it completely broke, absolutely refusing to accept a connection.

After completely disabling Hamachi by exiting the program and disabling its virtual ethernet adapter, I got it working. Crossing my fingers that this works permanently. Considering getting the ultimate license, and if it's refusing to work I might reconsider.

damned
December 26th, 2015, 06:07
Hey TheRedFox8.

TCP1803 has nothing to do with anything.
UDP1802 should have nothing to do with anything either.

TCP1802 is what you need. Why does it work one day and not the next and then maybe starts working again a couple of days later?
Probably your LAN IP on your host computer is changing. This is not uncommon with many routers.
In most cases your computer is getting a DHCP address from the router.
By default your computer will request the last DHCP IP address it previously had but the router may or may not honour this request.

Many routers will allow you to Reserve an IP address for a specific computer.
Id look into doing that - or if this computer is always at this location you can manually assign it an IP Address (eg dont use DHCP for that computer) and exclude that IP from the DHCP pool.

Then make sure you have the TCP1802 pointing to the correct IP Address.
Reboot your router if its not working and double check that you changes have stuck.

PM me if you need more help.

TheRedFox8
December 26th, 2015, 19:31
Hey TheRedFox8.

TCP1803 has nothing to do with anything.
UDP1802 should have nothing to do with anything either.

TCP1802 is what you need. Why does it work one day and not the next and then maybe starts working again a couple of days later?
Probably your LAN IP on your host computer is changing. This is not uncommon with many routers.
In most cases your computer is getting a DHCP address from the router.
By default your computer will request the last DHCP IP address it previously had but the router may or may not honour this request.

Many routers will allow you to Reserve an IP address for a specific computer.
Id look into doing that - or if this computer is always at this location you can manually assign it an IP Address (eg dont use DHCP for that computer) and exclude that IP from the DHCP pool.

Then make sure you have the TCP1802 pointing to the correct IP Address.
Reboot your router if its not working and double check that you changes have stuck.

PM me if you need more help.

I was just stating what worked for me. I don't know why port 1803 worked that one day, and didn't the next.

I checked it again a couple minutes ago and it reported success, so maybe disabling the Hamachi virtual ethernet adapter was what fixed it for me.

Crossing my fingers. Hopefully this solution is permanent.

LuckyDragon
June 11th, 2016, 20:37
Okay, so I have forwarded port 1802. I still get a test failure. My information shows as follows:

Does anyone have helpful suggestions or means to assist me with this issue, please? I would very much appreciate it!

UPDATE: Okay so, after scrounging around the forums for answers, I figured out that I needed to do a separate port forwarding on the modem that my wireless router is connected to. Derp.
I opened port forwarding for port 1802 on my NetGear router as well as my Modem and Viola! I now get a Success when I test the connection. Perfect!
And now...to test it with an actual game, with me as the GM...

PS. For anyone who would have helped me, the intention is what counts!

Moon Wizard
June 11th, 2016, 21:53
Thanks for sharing your findings.

Regards,
JPG

damned
June 12th, 2016, 00:48
Well done LuckyDragon!

RaTath
August 14th, 2016, 18:18
I am getting this error now also. I have had others connect to me with no problems up until today. Checked my router to make sure that the port forward was still in place for my PC (I have a static IP assigned to my PC so that it doesn't change). Looked into my netgear modem and saw no was to open port. Port 80 is always open though since that is the internet port. I am not running any firewall so nothing to open there. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate with the Ultimate licence from FG. So I'm at a total loss as what's changed. If anyone has any thoughts on the matter let me know please.

Thanks for your time and efforts!

Ra

Andraax
August 14th, 2016, 18:45
*ALL* ports are "internet ports". Port 80 is the default port for the hypertext protocol. The Internet Protocol defines an internet connection as the connection between two address & port pairs. The port number is an integral part of an internet connection. If nothing on your end has changed, then most likely your ISP has changed something, or you're now routing through a different path within your ISP, and they have some equipment configured differently within their network.

RaTath
August 14th, 2016, 18:58
*ALL* ports are "internet ports". Port 80 is the default port for the hypertext protocol. The Internet Protocol defines an internet connection as the connection between two address & port pairs. The port number is an integral part of an internet connection. If nothing on your end has changed, then most likely your ISP has changed something, or you're now routing through a different path within your ISP, and they have some equipment configured differently within their network.

yes but if the request connection comes into Port 80 then the routing in the ISP should not be a problem. I said internet port as most people just open a browser and connect to the internet which is port 80. They don't know or want to know about all the other ports. :)

And since I'm getting to this forum then my ISP is routing port 80 correctly. But thanks for your thoughts Andraax!

Ra

ddavison
August 14th, 2016, 19:03
If you use McAfee, we just had someone else who recently had the same problem where it stopped working suddenly and McAfee had for some reason decided to start blocking the FantasyGrounds.exe program. Please double check that you have FantasyGrounds.exe added as an exception, along with the updater.

Andraax
August 14th, 2016, 19:29
You are connecting to port 80 on the server. Your originating port is some random, unused port that your browser picked. Many ISPs block incoming requests for port 80, but none that I know of block outgoing requests for port 80 on another server. Unless you are running your own web server on an internal computer, you have no idea if your ISP is routing port 80 to your home network.

For example, my current connection for this forum is 192.168.2.5:58384 to 104.20.17.205:443. 192.168.2.5 is my computer's internal IP address, and port 58384 is the random port opened on my end for this connection. I am connecting to 104.20.17.205 as the forum's IP address, and port 443 (which is the "secure" hypertext port, used by https). My ISP is routing port 58384 to me, but only because I *originated* the connection. They are free to block incoming port 443 (or 80), without affecting my connections to web services, and many do because most likely your agreement with your ISP contains a clause that you will not run servers on a "personal" account.

This is why *players* do not need to open port 1802 for Fantasy Grounds - because when they make a connection to the GM's server, they are making an outgoing connection (which just about every ISP allows on every port) and the port they're using is some random port in the very high ranges. However, for the GM to get a success, the ISP must route *incoming* connections for 1802 to your router, and your router must forward those connections to your computer.

RaTath
August 14th, 2016, 20:24
If you use McAfee, we just had someone else who recently had the same problem where it stopped working suddenly and McAfee had for some reason decided to start blocking the FantasyGrounds.exe program. Please double check that you have FantasyGrounds.exe added as an exception, along with the updater.

I am not running McAfee and I have disabled my virus protection to trouble shoot this issue. Thanks though.

Ra

RaTath
August 14th, 2016, 20:33
You are connecting to port 80 on the server. Your originating port is some random, unused port that your browser picked. Many ISPs block incoming requests for port 80, but none that I know of block outgoing requests for port 80 on another server. Unless you are running your own web server on an internal computer, you have no idea if your ISP is routing port 80 to your home network.

For example, my current connection for this forum is 192.168.2.5:58384 to 104.20.17.205:443. 192.168.2.5 is my computer's internal IP address, and port 58384 is the random port opened on my end for this connection. I am connecting to 104.20.17.205 as the forum's IP address, and port 443 (which is the "secure" hypertext port, used by https). My ISP is routing port 58384 to me, but only because I *originated* the connection. They are free to block incoming port 443 (or 80), without affecting my connections to web services, and many do because most likely your agreement with your ISP contains a clause that you will not run servers on a "personal" account.

This is why *players* do not need to open port 1802 for Fantasy Grounds - because when they make a connection to the GM's server, they are making an outgoing connection (which just about every ISP allows on every port) and the port they're using is some random port in the very high ranges. However, for the GM to get a success, the ISP must route *incoming* connections for 1802 to your router, and your router must forward those connections to your computer.

I just spoke with my ISP. They do block all incoming port 80 traffic as a security risk. If the client request doesn't come in on Port 80 then why the need to port forward Port 80 to 1802? and then what port is the FG client request going out on? or is it any number of random ports?

damned
August 14th, 2016, 22:37
RaTath I think you are completely missing how this works... but thats ok. FG has nothing to do with TCP Port 80 for the Success Test or the Hosting process. If everything was working and you had made no changes to the router to do so then your system was using UPnP and had autoconfigured. If so - reboot your router and retest. Do you have a WiFi Router and a Modem (like a Cable Modem)? If so - reboot them both. If that doesnt work send me a PM.

Andraax
August 15th, 2016, 00:15
I just spoke with my ISP. They do block all incoming port 80 traffic as a security risk. If the client request doesn't come in on Port 80 then why the need to port forward Port 80 to 1802? and then what port is the FG client request going out on? or is it any number of random ports?

Why are you forwarding 80 to 1802? You should forward 1802 coming in from your ISP to 1802 on your local computer. And yeah, the clients just use a random, unused port on their end for the outgoing connection...

SteerableLemur
September 4th, 2017, 23:01
Hi all, I've been running my dnd games for my group on fantasy grounds I problem for months. Now all of a sudden it's saying failure to connect. Has anyone experienced it suddenly stopping to connect?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

LordEntrails
September 5th, 2017, 00:37
Hi all, I've been running my dnd games for my group on fantasy grounds I problem for months. Now all of a sudden it's saying failure to connect. Has anyone experienced it suddenly stopping to connect?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
A couple of possible things;
- Check to make sure your internet connection is still set to private (home or work). Windows Updates have been reported to change this.
- If you setup port forwarding on your router, make sure your computer hasn't been assigned a new/different IP
- If you didn't do port forwarding, it's possible UPnP is no longer working on your router and you may have to start port forwarding. Try rebooting your router and your computer first.
- Your anti-virus might have started blocking FG, make sure FG is whitelisted in your A/V, and any other firewalls you have.
- Your ISP could have started to aggregate your connections with your neighbors. from a command line, run tracert 8.8.8.8 and report the first 5 lines here.

ddavison
September 5th, 2017, 13:23
A couple of possible things;
- Check to make sure your internet connection is still set to private (home or work). Windows Updates have been reported to change this.
- If you setup port forwarding on your router, make sure your computer hasn't been assigned a new/different IP
- If you didn't do port forwarding, it's possible UPnP is no longer working on your router and you may have to start port forwarding. Try rebooting your router and your computer first.
- Your anti-virus might have started blocking FG, make sure FG is whitelisted in your A/V, and any other firewalls you have.
- Your ISP could have started to aggregate your connections with your neighbors. from a command line, run tracert 8.8.8.8 and report the first 5 lines here.

Those pretty much cover everything. I would suggest that the most common issue would be that your router has reset and reassigned IP addresses. In that case, edit the port forward setting and point it to the local IP address that is shown within Fantasy Grounds. You can also delete it and recreate it. The router should prevent multiple entries for the same port forward automatically.

Nate Grey
September 5th, 2017, 15:18
Had the same problem of previously being able to connect then not (though it'd been months since in my case). I checked out the troubleshooting tips for Port Forwarding, but it seems my modem-router doesn't have advanced settings for NAT/Virtual Server, so I'm currently stumped.

(I recently changed my internet connection, but already had the problem with the old one (that used to be working).)

ddavison
September 5th, 2017, 15:27
What is the make and model # of your router? Is it supplied by your ISP or one that you own?

Sometimes they refer to it differently depending on the router. I haven't really seen one that didn't provide some sort of mechanism so far, but you never know. If that is the case, one option might be to ask your ISP if they have a newer model they could set you up with.

Trenloe
September 5th, 2017, 15:28
I checked out the troubleshooting tips for Port Forwarding, but it seems my modem-router doesn't have advanced settings for NAT/Virtual Server, so I'm currently stumped.
Have you checked your router model here: https://portforward.com/router.htm

Nate Grey
September 5th, 2017, 15:48
Yeah it's not there. Prolink PRS1241B, provided by ISP, less than 2 weeks old. The guide said look at other models 'coz they ought to work the same, but couldn't find the setting mentioned.

ddavison
September 5th, 2017, 16:09
The router's homepage lists port forwarding in the specifications. If you want to send some screenshots through email to [email protected] then we can help point you in the right direction.

In the router specs, they list this:
NAT (Network AddressTranslation), NAPT port forwarding, DMZ support

I looked at some Youtube videos for the model and there looks like there is an Advanced menu on the top.

Nate Grey
September 5th, 2017, 17:46
OK!

The router home page still didn't seem to have that particular model, only one that seemed close (1240), and still wasn't much help, BUT

Your mention of Youtube vids got me to discover that there was a "secret" admin login for root access and advanced options.

Found the one for NAT/Virtual Server, but not sure if I got it right. 1802 is still timing out on canyouseeme.org, and FG connection test is now stuck on 'In Progress'.

Will fire off an email tomorrow.

Trenloe
September 5th, 2017, 17:54
Found the one for NAT/Virtual Server, but not sure if I got it right. 1802 is still timing out on canyouseeme.org
Make sure it's TCP port 1802, and that you've double checked the IP address you're forwarding to.

Note: To test using canyouseeme.org you must have a campaign fully loaded up - as if you were waiting for players to connect.

Nate Grey
September 5th, 2017, 18:11
Ooh. canyouseeme says it can see me after I loaded the campaign! Gonna have someone test connect.

Thanks for all the help!

Edit: Spoke too soon; still can't connect apparently. Will follow up on it again tomorrow I guess.

Trenloe
September 5th, 2017, 18:24
Edit: Spoke too soon; still can't connect apparently. Will follow up on it again tomorrow I guess.
PM me your alias and/or external IP address reported by Fantasy Grounds - I can try a test connection.

backwardoracle
September 6th, 2017, 14:00
I have a similar problem, new ISP & router (provided) I set up the tcp port forwarding correctly as I ran a game successfully on Sunday night, Monday everything was fine as players connected to test out the actions, Tuesday however the test reported failure, and its reporting failure today.

Zacchaeus
September 6th, 2017, 14:10
I have a similar problem, new ISP & router (provided) I set up the tcp port forwarding correctly as I ran a game successfully on Sunday night, Monday everything was fine as players connected to test out the actions, Tuesday however the test reported failure, and its reporting failure today.

Hi backwardoracle welcome to FG

As noted above the IP address of your computer might have changed. Double check that the port is being forwarded to the internal IP address of your computer.

Andraax
September 6th, 2017, 14:10

Sounds like your router handed your PC a new IP address.

MartynJFogg
October 7th, 2017, 11:37
I was getting this issue this morning and was in a panic. It turned out that Windows Firewall was blocking external connections after the latest update of FG. When I restarted my computer and relaunched FG a Windows Firewall message appeared giving me the option to t urn off this irritating security feature. After I did this, the connection worked okay. Panic over.

LordEntrails
October 7th, 2017, 15:58
I was getting this issue this morning and was in a panic. It turned out that Windows Firewall was blocking external connections after the latest update of FG. When I restarted my computer and relaunched FG a Windows Firewall message appeared giving me the option to t urn off this irritating security feature. After I did this, the connection worked okay. Panic over.
Welcome to the forums :) Glad you got it sorted and thanks for detailing the solutions for others.

zelord59
October 30th, 2017, 18:49
Hi guys!

I use Fantasy Ground for years, but after i move to an other region (of France), i'm unable to have a run test success.
I've open port 1802 TCP, redirecting to the good IP. I forced the IP to my MAC adress to be sure.
I have check the firewall and FG is authorized.
I also reinstall FG and i still doesn't manage to connect :(

Can you help me ?

damned
October 30th, 2017, 19:43
Hi zelord59 can you post the output of the following command: tracert 8.8.8.8

I suspect we might have to do some sort of work around for you as many euro ISPs have stopped giving out IPv4 addresses...

zelord59
October 30th, 2017, 20:03
Here it is:
Détermination de l’itinéraire vers google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
avec un maximum de 30 sauts*:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms FREEBOX [192.168.0.254]
2 34 ms 39 ms 31 ms 194.149.164.50
3 32 ms 32 ms 32 ms bzn-crs16-2-be1005.routers.proxad.net [78.254.249.77]
4 32 ms 32 ms 32 ms 72.14.221.62
5 38 ms 31 ms 32 ms 108.170.244.193
6 33 ms 32 ms 32 ms 66.249.94.175
7 32 ms 32 ms 32 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Itinéraire déterminé.

damned
October 31st, 2017, 02:35
Hi zelord59 there is nothing leaping out as a problem in that tracert. I suggest you log into the router and try and setup port forwarding manually and re-test.

You need to forward TCP 1802 to TCP 1802 on your computers LAN/local IP Address.

zelord59
October 31st, 2017, 16:24
I made the modification (for the third time), run test failure :(

Azaran
October 31st, 2017, 19:02
I made the modification (for the third time), run test failure :(

You'll also need to make sure you don't have any firewall settings on your mac that would block 1802 because it doesn't recognise it.

zelord59
October 31st, 2017, 19:10
I've read all the messages above and tested a lot of things.
I've disable my firewall to do the test, still failure.
I also change the network setting to public to private.

Azaran
October 31st, 2017, 19:34
I've read all the messages above and tested a lot of things.
I've disable my firewall to do the test, still failure.
I also change the network setting to public to private.

What type of connection do you have? Is it 4G, fiber, adsl?

damned
November 1st, 2017, 01:03
zelord59 send me your email via PM if you would like me to look with you.

zelord59
November 2nd, 2017, 14:37
Thank you Damned!
Apparently it was an IP problem, i had 1/4 of the IP available due to a connexion partage in my residence, so port 1802 was not accessible, we go to port 51802.
You will explain it better than me.

Merci beaucoup !

damned
November 2nd, 2017, 14:43
This was a first for me.
On the WAN Information on zelord59s router it stated x.x.x.x (Ports 49152 to 65535)
We did a port forward on the router to forward TCP 51802 to his LAN IP on TCP 1802
I then configured my FG client to use TCP 51802 by adding " -p51802" (without the "") to the shortcut Target so it looks like this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGrounds.exe" -p51802
I could then connect to his game session.

JohnD
November 2nd, 2017, 17:12
Interesting.

StarDebut
December 28th, 2017, 10:46
Hello FG Community,

Unfortunately I have the same issue. I've read all the above posts. I do have discord rolld20s#7768 (not teamspeak) if you want to help talk things through.

I've opened port 1802 on my IP. I've created my IP reserve IP. I've lowered firewalls.

I am stuck. Nothing.

damned
December 28th, 2017, 12:15
Hello FG Community,

Unfortunately I have the same issue. I've read all the above posts. I do have discord rolld20s#7768 (not teamspeak) if you want to help talk things through.

I've opened port 1802 on my IP. I've created my IP reserve IP. I've lowered firewalls.

I am stuck. Nothing.

Please post the output to:

tracert 8.8.8.8

Additionally check your network adapter is set to Private or Home network.

You can PM me your email address if you want me to look at it with you.

ddavison
December 28th, 2017, 13:50
Hello FG Community,

I am stuck. Nothing.

Opening the port doesn't matter. In the case of Fantasy Grounds, you need to forward port 1802 from your router to your local IP, as reported within Fantasy Grounds. Can you post the make and model # of your router? We can generally find step by step instructions for most routers on https://portforward.com

To find the step-by-step instructions:
1. Go to https://portforward.com
2. Choose All Programs from the menu on the left
3. Search for Fantasy Grounds and click that
4. Now choose the make and model # of your router
5. Follow steps listed under Step 2. You can skip the static ip option for now and just use the local IP address reported within Fantasy Grounds just above the Connection Test

StarDebut
December 28th, 2017, 17:14
I've been into homegroup and my network is already set to Private/Home.
I do not know what tracert 8.8.8.8 is

I am going to shoot you a PM because I am scratching my head. I'll reset my router as one last shot as you have recommended it.

Open port/ forward port. Sorry I am a plasterer and decorator by trade, explaining what I am doing gets lost in translation sometimes. I meant exactly what you meant port forwarding to 1802
Anyway, I have checked on what you suggested found my router, and my router settings are correct as the documentation has told it should be.

Myrdin Potter
December 29th, 2017, 17:43
If the router really is set up correctly (and your ISP may be sharing IP addresses in a pool which adds another layer to it), another issue that often crops up is your firewall program blocking the port. The way taht FG updates sometimes convinces the firewall that it is a new program and what worked before can get blocked. The instructions on the website are usually enough to get it working, but there are times when a little more is needed. My experience from my first time and from helping others out, is that once you get it working, you don't have to worry anymore.

StarDebut
December 29th, 2017, 19:33
If the router really is set up correctly (and your ISP may be sharing IP addresses in a pool which adds another layer to it), another issue that often crops up is your firewall program blocking the port. The way taht FG updates sometimes convinces the firewall that it is a new program and what worked before can get blocked. The instructions on the website are usually enough to get it working, but there are times when a little more is needed. My experience from my first time and from helping others out, is that once you get it working, you don't have to worry anymore.

Thanks for the assist, I have tried all of the above. Thanks though. Only came over from roll20 after four years because I thought I could save some more money annually.

Myrdin Potter
December 29th, 2017, 20:01
Reach out to Damned is the best bet. He can more directly help you.

LordEntrails
December 29th, 2017, 22:21
Don't give up, damned and a few others can get you sorted. Just let them walk you through the process.

Baufrin
January 1st, 2018, 06:21
Troubleshooting document for network connection issues related to Fantasy Grounds.

1.) Verify surf on the host machine. This may seem obvious but sometimes people connect to the FGC Discord via cell phones or other internet connections that have nothing to do with the machine hosting Fantasy Grounds. If they are unable to surf then refer them to their ISP. After resolution of their issue and they can surf. Click the test button on Fantasy Grounds if it passes you are done.

2.) Verify there is an issue use the test button on Fantasy Grounds. If it passes there is nothing wrong with ports.

3.) Find out the OS. You might need this later on.

4.) Windows 7-10 specific. Check the network Status window if it is private that should be okay. If public change to private network. Click the test button on Fantasy Grounds if it passes you are done.

5.) Verify Firewall settings. Insure that Fantasy Grounds is allowed to communicate with the internet. If blocked unblock it. Click the test button on Fantasy Grounds if it passes you are done.

6.) Verify that the host machine has an external I.P. v4 address. Can be obtained by going to https://whatismyip.host/ if the IP v4 Field says N/A then have host contact their I.S.P. to see about obtaining an I.P. V4 address. After this is resolved (if unable to get an I.P. v4 address may need to use a V.P.N.) Click the test button on Fantasy Grounds if it passes you are done.

Thought this might be a handy little Pre-port forward guide.

Aster
January 22nd, 2018, 01:08
I just went through each of these steps and I am still having a problem. I have Windows 10. any additional guidance would be useful. I travel alot for work and have to use various wireless routers.

Myrdin Potter
January 22nd, 2018, 01:18
I travel a lot as well and DM my games. The only reliable solution is to use a VPN as you cannot control the routers in the hotels and the typical cellular routers share IP addresses and do not allow for port forwarding.

In this same section of the forum you will see a thread on Hamachi (everyone needs to install it but free) and VPN with PureVPN with the dedicated IP option being a known good option.

damned
January 22nd, 2018, 03:09
I just went through each of these steps and I am still having a problem. I have Windows 10. any additional guidance would be useful. I travel alot for work and have to use various wireless routers.

Rather than saying "I just went through each of these steps" please actually say what you have checked/done.

I travel a lot as well and DM my games. The only reliable solution is to use a VPN as you cannot control the routers in the hotels and the typical cellular routers share IP addresses and do not allow for port forwarding.

In this same section of the forum you will see a thread on Hamachi (everyone needs to install it but free) and VPN with PureVPN with the dedicated IP option being a known good option.

Agreed - if you are using multiple networks, most of which you have no access to the router, many of which are restricted in some way, you will be best investigating a VPN (PureVPN has a confirmed working mode) and/or Hamachi.

KillerRabbit
August 10th, 2018, 15:27
Can someone please help me out, i get a failure everytime.

I tried to log into my router, typing the IP that came out of the ipconfig, but it just gives me an error
I allowed access with my firewall, and even disconnected the firewall (still failure)
Set the connection from public to private

I'm really not skilled in all of these things, and I need some help.
Someone please?

damned
August 10th, 2018, 15:37
send me your email by PM.

KillerRabbit
August 10th, 2018, 15:38
I managed to log into the router.
In here it says under port forwarding that i can't use the following:
TCP: 25, 53, 135, 137, 138, 139, 161, 162, 445, 1080
UDP: 53, 135, 137, 139, 161, 162

After, there are some things i can modify:

Local IP input - Start port - end port - protocol (UDP/TCP/both) - status (actif/non-actif)

What should i do?

Zacchaeus
August 10th, 2018, 15:49
Local IP is the IP address of your computer; Start and end port is 1802; Protocol is TCP; and status active.

KillerRabbit
August 10th, 2018, 16:07
Thanks !

FrauKleinert
August 15th, 2018, 16:58
Hi Friends,

I just purchased the Ultimate License and I just can't get the Connection Test running. It always says: Failure. I have a static ip address and opened port 1802. Still failure.

Myrdin Potter
August 15th, 2018, 17:05
Hi Friends,

I just purchased the Ultimate License and I just can't get the Connection Test running. It always says: Failure. I have a static ip address and opened port 1802. Still failure.

If you give us a little more detail, like what router and where you are (IP you use), we can help more directly.

Posting the results of a trace route also helps so we can see how many devices there are between you and the internet.

Common issues are firewall blocking the port, connection set to public instead of private, port opened but not directed to the right internal IP address and internet providers that actually share connections so you really do not have control over it.

LordEntrails
August 15th, 2018, 17:06
Hi Friends,

Welcome to the FG and the forums FrauKleinert.

A couple of things to check;
- Verify your network connection is set to private (home or work, not public)
- Make sure your A/V and firewalls have an exception set for FG
- You might have to port forward port 1802, not just open it. And if you have a modem and router (or multiple devices), you will have to forward from A to B to your PC.
- Is the external IP that FG reports the same one that your modem reports?
- Make sure you are using IPv4 and not IPv6

You can run tracert 8.8.8.8 from a command prompt and post the first ten lines and we can advise more.

FrauKleinert
August 15th, 2018, 17:16
Hi!

Thanks for the welcome. I use a Speedport

Connection is set to private.
A/V and Firewalls have FG as exception activated
I'm sure I made a port forward. TCP 1802-1802 1802-1802 (and set to my PC)

tracert throws this at me:

1 5 ms 1 ms 2 ms Speedport.ip [192.168.2.1]
2 37 ms 47 ms 45 ms 217.0.119.118
3 65 ms 70 ms 71 ms 87.186.204.86
4 49 ms 44 ms 41 ms 217.239.51.54
5 45 ms 58 ms 62 ms 80.150.170.30
6 40 ms 36 ms 43 ms 108.170.252.1
7 50 ms 66 ms 78 ms 108.170.232.237
8 72 ms 62 ms 60 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Thanks for the help!

Gwydion
August 15th, 2018, 19:02
Hey FrauKleinert. You might check out the thread below as well. I created a small, simple module that might help you isolate where your issue is. It might at least help you figure out where your issue lies.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?44928-How-to-Port-Forward-to-host-an-FG-game-An-FG-module

FrauKleinert
August 15th, 2018, 19:32
Thanks ... sadly it seems to be my Router that makes the problems. It doesn't support upnp and there are several problems with Ports one can find in support forums ... oh dear ...

Gwydion
August 15th, 2018, 19:34
You can always check out this thread as well for some alternatives if port forwarding just won't work with your setup:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43607-Port-Forward-Alternatives

Myrdin Potter
August 15th, 2018, 19:37
Also make sure you have the latest firmware loaded. If you forward the port properly should not need much more. Forward both protocols, not just TCP.

You can use one of the alternatives if really needed but hopefully we can figure out the router issue.

FrauKleinert
August 15th, 2018, 19:46
I just updated the Firmware ... still a failure.

I think Hamachi will be my only way now ...

Myrdin Potter
August 15th, 2018, 19:48
Can you do a screenshot of the port forwarding page?

Also, try removing FG from the anti-virus / firewall you use and add it again. Sometimes when FG updates it gets blocked by the firewall but because the .exe is still listed you don’t get asked again.

FrauKleinert
August 15th, 2018, 19:53
So, this is german.

It basically says: TCP Forwarding Public Port to client Port on to PC and then the same with UDP.

Zacchaeus
August 15th, 2018, 20:19
You only need TCP for FG; not sure what difference it makes having the UDP rule there as well. As MP says above it's a good idea to clear out any existing rules from your AV and create new ones; especially if you are using Windows Defender.

Myrdin Potter
August 15th, 2018, 20:27
My experience with many brands of routers is that sometimes using both protocols makes the forwarding “stick”. Might be as simple as adding the additional protocol triggers that the rule is new.

FrauKleinert
August 15th, 2018, 21:12
I tried both. TCP and UDP and just TCP. Still a failure :(

Nylanfs
August 15th, 2018, 23:45
Umm German, are you IN Europe? Your ISP might have IPv6 which FG can't support till the Unity re-write. Most of Europe is using IPv6 now I think. You would have to used a VPN.

FrauKleinert
August 16th, 2018, 00:20
Yes. This can be the problem. But even when I deactivate IPv6, FG won't connect. So ... what are my options? Refund?

Gwydion
August 16th, 2018, 00:28
Did you try hamachi? Zero tier worked really well when I tried that. I would give that a shot as well.

Moon Wizard
August 16th, 2018, 00:34
Have you already tried connecting from a second machine on the same local network using the internal IP to make sure that security software isn't blocking?

Regards,
JPG

damned
August 16th, 2018, 01:24
Hello FrauKleinert my experience with German connections is that they generally do require Hamachi (free) or similar software to run peer-to-peer games.
I have quite a few German friends playing/running FG and they use Hamachi (and some were using Tunngle and Zerotier also does similar) to run.

FrauKleinert
August 16th, 2018, 07:11
Thank you all for your help. It seems that it is in fact the ipv6 that is my problem. For now I asked for a refund on steam and hope that in the future, there will be a possibility to use FG here, without any workarounds. I really hope this won't take too long. Thanks again for your help. We'll meet again.

damned
August 16th, 2018, 12:13
Thank you all for your help. It seems that it is in fact the ipv6 that is my problem. For now I asked for a refund on steam and hope that in the future, there will be a possibility to use FG here, without any workarounds. I really hope this won't take too long. Thanks again for your help. We'll meet again.

Thats a shame - the rest of the tabletop experience on this platform is worth the small work around. Either way - have fun gaming!

LordNanoc
September 23rd, 2018, 18:40
Hamachi is an abonnement model now, with running costs, if I understand it, and the free version is no more available? And all my players will need a license, too?
That's more than a "small workaround" to me, TBH.

It is very sad, that FG doesn't work remote, here in Europe. But hey, as log as we sit together and play it as "LAN" game via the local router it still works. And we preserve a bit of the old pen and paper feeling.

Might be a good idea for FG to change that, so we can play with more people abroad...
Just saying. IPv6 is not "new" tech...

Gwydion
September 23rd, 2018, 18:48
Hamachi is an abonnement model now, with running costs, if I understand it, and the free version is no more available? And all my players will need a license, too?
That's more than a "small workaround" to me, TBH.

It is very sad, that FG doesn't work remote, here in Europe. But hey, as log as we sit together and play it as "LAN" game via the local router it still works. And we preserve a bit of the old pen and paper feeling.

Might be a good idea for FG to change that, so we can play with more people abroad...

Not sure what you mean about hamachi not being free anymore. I think it still is. Zero tier also works and is free. You can find it in the alternatives to port forwarding thread. I made a video on how to set it up. Very simple.

LordEntrails
September 23rd, 2018, 19:06
It's being worked on. It is part of the move to a new engine, Unity.

Trenloe
September 23rd, 2018, 19:43
Hamachi is an abonnement model now, with running costs, if I understand it, and the free version is no more available?
It's still available for free.

LordNanoc
September 23rd, 2018, 20:07
BTW I just did a last test and found some interesting behaviour:

I installed Netscan on my Laptop and sniffed the port to see if it's open. While the scan runs, the connection test in FG returns a success. The scan tells me, that 1802 is open.
After the scan is done, the connection test in FG returns failure again.

I thought you might wanna know. I enabled port triggering as well, so I think, the scan triggers the port to open and the connectiontest piggybacks through somehow. Can't seem to find another explanation. This still doesn't explain, why the FG connection test can't trigger the port forwarding... it's really confusing behaviour.

Trenloe
September 23rd, 2018, 20:10
I thought you might wanna know. I enabled port triggering as well, so I think, the scan triggers the port to open and the connectiontest piggybacks through somehow. Can't seem to find another explanation.
Don't use port triggering. Remove that and reboot your router - then see if it works. If not, post a screenshot of the TCP port 1802 port forwarding rule you've setup in your router.

damned
September 23rd, 2018, 23:00
LordNanoc netscan on your PC will work - because you are inside your router/firewall.
Please click here: https://www.vpn.net/ and scroll down to pricing and look at the text immediately above the pricing.
Pricing
Hamachi is free for up to 5 computers in your network. If you run Hamachi as a service in unattended mode, you can choose from our subscription packages below.

Sabinaurea
September 23rd, 2018, 23:58
Hi,
I've enabled FG on my firewall & think I've done the port forwarding - still no connection success. I ran the 8.8.8.8 command and this is the result:

Any help is appreciated :)

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 11 ms 12 ms 12 ms 96-34-84-153.static.unas.ma.charter.com [96.34.84.153]
4 21 ms 24 ms 30 ms crr03oxfrma-bue-11.oxfr.ma.charter.com [96.34.81.190]
5 19 ms 11 ms 15 ms bbr01oxfrma-bue-1.oxfr.ma.charter.com [96.34.2.12]
6 19 ms 20 ms 35 ms bbr01nwtwct-bue-4.nwtw.ct.charter.com [96.34.0.51]
7 28 ms 28 ms 29 ms bbr01blvlil-tge-0-0-0-11.blvl.il.charter.com [96.34.0.137]
8 26 ms 27 ms 25 ms prr01ashbva-bue-6.ashb.va.charter.com [96.34.3.89]
9 22 ms 22 ms 21 ms ae47.bb02.ord1.tfbnw.net [204.15.20.161]
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 23 ms 24 ms 21 ms 72.14.233.20
12 24 ms 22 ms 24 ms 108.177.3.17
13 31 ms 27 ms 27 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

damned
September 24th, 2018, 00:04
Hi Sabinaurea

Hop #2 is the likely issue.
Please log onto your router at 192.168.1.1 and check what its WAN or Internet address is.
Is it the same or similar to what FG shows is your External IP?

Sabinaurea
September 24th, 2018, 00:08
Yes, both places list the external IP as 75.136.73.213

damned
September 24th, 2018, 00:12
ok thats good.
send me your email by PM if you would like me to have a look with you.
that address should be able to work.

Darqualan
September 25th, 2018, 21:36
Hello,

I have been trying everything I can to get the port open for fantasy grounds and so far I'm having no luck with it, hopefully you can help me out with this. I think part of my issue is that I'm not entirely sure how my internet connection works. I have a fixed point wireless connection, I have spoke to my ISP and had them bridge the connection for me, and I've gone into my router (linksys E1200) and setup port forwarding but that still didn't work. I tried to do DHCP reservation for my computer but the client list shows up empty and it won't allow me to manually add my computer to the list either. I have gone into windows and deleted and reissued the incoming rules in the firewall. I checked that my network is set to private and not public. The only thing I'm running for anti virus is windows defender.

1 21 ms 2 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 72 ms 40 ms 89 ms 10.203.200.200
3 73 ms 117 ms 54 ms cynthia.wavedirect.net [162.211.187.1]
4 38 ms 80 ms 117 ms ramona.wavedirect.net [162.211.184.1]
5 107 ms 92 ms 90 ms s72-38-224-249.static.comm.cgocable.net [72.38.224.249]
6 128 ms 43 ms 78 ms 10.252.1.41
7 64 ms 91 ms 103 ms 10.252.1.29
8 64 ms 117 ms 47 ms 10.252.1.18
9 178 ms 117 ms 36 ms 173-6-226-24.rev.cgocable.net [24.226.6.173]
10 147 ms 41 ms 79 ms 10.0.18.30
11 117 ms 45 ms 68 ms 10.0.18.73
12 93 ms 96 ms 117 ms 209.85.173.40
13 86 ms 117 ms 117 ms 108.170.250.225
14 82 ms 42 ms 72 ms 108.170.227.37
15 105 ms 46 ms 69 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

If there's anything you can offer to help out with this, it would be much appreciated.

damned
September 26th, 2018, 00:27
welcome Darqualan

you have two routers taht are doing NAT on your network.
One may very well belong to the ISP though - 10.203.200.200
Can you browse to https://10.203.200.200 ??
Do you have login details?

Otherwise login to your router and find its WAN/Internet address and call the ISP and ask them to pretty please prt forward TCP1802 on their router to your router - and to always give your router the same WAN address so it continues to work into the future...
They may or may not entertain the idea...

Darqualan
September 26th, 2018, 03:01
Unfortunately, I do not have the login details for https://10.203.200.200 I will however, call them again ask about that. I told the tech I spoke to what I was attempting to do and he understood exactly (he's got a family member who is into D&D). He told me that he had set the radio to bridge mode. I'll give them another call about it and see what I can get worked out, I appreciate the assistance.

damned
September 26th, 2018, 04:02
Unfortunately, I do not have the login details for https://10.203.200.200 I will however, call them again ask about that. I told the tech I spoke to what I was attempting to do and he understood exactly (he's got a family member who is into D&D). He told me that he had set the radio to bridge mode. I'll give them another call about it and see what I can get worked out, I appreciate the assistance.

Radio?
If you are on some type of satellite dish you are very likely out of luck.
Have a look at these options: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43607-Port-Forward-Alternatives

Darqualan
September 26th, 2018, 21:34
Radio?
If you are on some type of satellite dish you are very likely out of luck.
Have a look at these options: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43607-Port-Forward-Alternatives

Its not exactly a sat connection, but I imagine its similar. I am currently staying with my mother who is very ill, and she lives in the middle of nowhere. So cable and DSL aren't available here, the only options are Sat and fixed point wireless. I have a sat like receiver on the house, receiving a signal from a repeater down the road.

That's what I meant when I said that I didn't understand exactly how this internet connection works.

Andraax
September 26th, 2018, 22:12
Sounds like a setup I had before they ran fiber out here. You have a radio attached to an antenna on your roof. If your provider puts the radio into bridge mode, it should forward everything from one side to the other without change, and should basically be invisible. It's been a while since I used my setup, but I didn't have any problems getting the provider to set it up for me so that I could have a server running.

Still have the antenna:

https://s3.silent-tower.org/images/Antenna.JPG

Darqualan
September 27th, 2018, 05:41
yup, that's basically the situation, except that the one I have is a little white square instead of a big antenna like that. The repeater is on a grain silo at a farm nearby. They told me they had bridged the connection when I called them the other day, but it still doesn't work after they said that they had put it into bridge mode.

damned
September 28th, 2018, 00:25
yup, that's basically the situation, except that the one I have is a little white square instead of a big antenna like that. The repeater is on a grain silo at a farm nearby. They told me they had bridged the connection when I called them the other day, but it still doesn't work after they said that they had put it into bridge mode.

Look at those alternate options in that thread...

Darqualan
September 28th, 2018, 03:56
I went and downloaded zeriotier and it works fine, thanks for your help.

Nylanfs
September 28th, 2018, 11:26
Yea!

tanatoaster
September 28th, 2018, 19:59
hey guys i guess im what you would call a refugee from roll 20 prepping to move my games over here. after making the account and setting up the basics of a game i had a friend try to connect failed multiple times. after this i ran a test connection and that seems to fail every-time i figure this is the issue. i read earlier parts of this thread and confirmed that the ip address that they were attempting to connect to did match and had the 1802 port forwarding. i made sure it was allowed through the firewall and went as far as disabling it for one test but no luck.
i saw the the request for 8.8.8.8 on several similer issues so i did this as well and have it here for you.
1 <1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 10.0.0.1
2 16 ms 11 ms 16 ms 96.120.110.25
3 14 ms 13 ms 19 ms xe-11-3-0-sur02.gray.tn.knox.comcast.net [69.139.212.129]
4 13 ms 16 ms 14 ms 68.85.171.101
5 22 ms 26 ms 24 ms 162.151.94.93
6 41 ms 29 ms 31 ms be-22909-cr02.56marietta.ga.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.91.245]
7 28 ms 29 ms 39 ms be-11440-pe01.56marietta.ga.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.85.246]
8 31 ms 29 ms 31 ms 173.167.59.82
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 31 ms 34 ms 29 ms 108.170.225.136
11 40 ms 29 ms 29 ms 209.85.253.239
12 29 ms 32 ms 29 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

im not sure what else you guys might need but ill do what ever it takes lol just might be slow to respond due to work

LordEntrails
September 28th, 2018, 20:32
hey guys i guess im what you would call a refugee from roll 20 prepping to move my games over here. after making the account and setting up the basics of a game i had a friend try to connect failed multiple times. ...
Hey, welcome :)

I'm not one of the network guru's who will probably jump in shortly and give you a 100% answer, but I can suggest somethings that have worked for others;

First, is your network connection set to "private" (home/work)? If not, change that, because even if you have exceptions in your firewall, Windows will still block incoming connections if your connection is public.

Second, are you running MalwareBytes? It has a known issue, though I think it's been solved recently, if you haven't the latest definitions it might still be an issue. Try deactivating it.

Third, reboot yoru router. Sometimes they are stubborn and changes don't take effect until you do.

I'd then suggest posting a screenshot of your port forwarding rules, sometimes those aren't done correctly.

damned
September 29th, 2018, 00:03
hola tanatoaster

that base ping route looks good.
your port forward rule should be
tcp 1802 1802 to (your computers LAN IP) tcp 1802 1802
definitely make sure your LAN interface (or Wifi) is set to Private
dont have LAN and Wifi connected - pick one
malwarebytes will need you to make a manual entry in the web filtering rules
--
for other AV most have an option where you can turn off for 10mins so you can test
after you have done the steps above if it still fails - turn off AV for 10mins and retest - if that works the AV will need a rule
you prolly also have windows defender running
create a new rule in windows defender/firewall (port, allow all, from anywhere, on TCP 1802 on all profiles)
--
holler if its still not working and if you want me to look at it with you send me your email by PM

tanatoaster
September 29th, 2018, 01:24
sorry for super late responce like i said work, but checking everything the both of you guys suggested. it was the network the moment i switched it to private the test shows successful. thank you guys so much :D

WESeib
September 30th, 2018, 17:20
I had the same issue. Connection failed. A search led me here. Created and added the rule and it works great.
Thank you.

Sidmandoo
October 1st, 2018, 00:32
Hello,
I am new to FG. I have had no issues with connecting on my laptop until today. I did poweroff the router today to deal with another issue.

Right now I'm getting getting a test connection failure.

I have made an exception with my windows firewall. I don't have any A/V software running.

The external address listed in FG matches the IP address on my router login

I ran a tracert 8.8.8.8 the results are:

DELETED

The external address is not listed on this tracert. I really don't know what any of this means. I have just been reading as much as I can and aping the steps people has put forth.

If you need more information to help, please let me know. I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,
Sid

Sidmandoo
October 1st, 2018, 00:39
****, hold the phone. The network was listed as public. I moved it to private. First test a success.

Bidmaron
October 1st, 2018, 01:57
Glad you got it working, and welcome to the forum!

wbcreighton
October 2nd, 2018, 06:42
Hi,

Have been using FG for a long time but I have not been able to connect for periods over the summer and this last week.

Ran the tracert:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.285]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\warren>tracert 8.8.8.8

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254
2 2 ms 2 ms 8 ms 10.31.56.1
3 5 ms 4 ms 5 ms 154.11.10.11
4 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms 72.14.220.60
5 6 ms 6 ms 5 ms 108.170.245.97
6 6 ms 5 ms 5 ms 209.85.249.189
7 4 ms 5 ms 5 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

I have McAfee running but have exceptions for FG.
The router has the correct port setting.

Any ideas ?

Warren

damned
October 2nd, 2018, 07:06
Hey Warren

your second hop is also a Private Network.
you should in the first instance speak to your ISP and ask them whats going on.

wbcreighton
October 3rd, 2018, 05:59
Hey Warren

your second hop is also a Private Network.
you should in the first instance speak to your ISP and ask them whats going on.

Hi Damned

I have been using an ethernet connection for the last few years.

On a whim I just disabled the ethernet and enabled the Wifi and I can connect.
( I have had problems in the past when Windows has enabled the Wifi ( on its own ) and it interfered with the Ethernet connection ).

Not sure that it explains why I can't connect on the ethernet connection.

I don't understand any of the network stuff, but when you say that the second hop is a private network, what do you mean ? and what do I need to ask ?

I am on a fibre optic network and the signal comes through an Alcatel-Lucent fibre optic modem. Could this have an impact ? Why would switching to Wifi make a difference ?

Warren

PS I would like to figure out how to connect via Ethernet adapter but at least I have a connection for now

wbcreighton
October 3rd, 2018, 06:01
C:\Users\warren>tracert 8.8.8.8

1 5 ms 3 ms 2 ms 192.168.1.254
2 6 ms 3 ms 3 ms 10.31.56.1
3 6 ms 6 ms 8 ms 154.11.10.11
4 6 ms 8 ms 46 ms 72.14.220.60
5 9 ms 6 ms 7 ms 108.170.245.97
6 19 ms 7 ms 9 ms 209.85.249.189
7 6 ms 6 ms 7 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

This is with the wifi operating

damned
October 3rd, 2018, 06:07
If its working on the Wifi dont change anything - stick with the Wifi.

wbcreighton
October 3rd, 2018, 07:13
If its working on the Wifi dont change anything - stick with the Wifi.

I haven't changed anything... yet. :)

I don't think it is going to be as fast as the Ethernet connection, so I will probably need to figure things out.

damned
October 3rd, 2018, 08:19
disconnect the wifi.
reconnect the ethernet.
shutdown your laptop
powercycle your router
startup your laptop and retest.

wbcreighton
October 4th, 2018, 20:07
disconnect the wifi.
reconnect the ethernet.
shutdown your laptop
powercycle your router
startup your laptop and retest.

Ok I'll try that after I host the next session.

Do you think the Intertek optical fibre modem could have a role in the problem ?

damned
October 4th, 2018, 23:33
Ok I'll try that after I host the next session.

Do you think the Intertek optical fibre modem could have a role in the problem ?

maybe - but most likely not

wbcreighton
October 9th, 2018, 23:33
More fun stuff.

Tried to use the computer yesterday and have no internet connection.
The wifi network adapter is gone. Not disabled, just gone.

Had to re-enable the ethernet to get an internet connection. Haven't tried to use FG and haven't looked into getting the wifi back.

Might be virus or Win10 update I'm guessing.

Amost every time Win10 updates it messes something up.

Nylanfs
October 10th, 2018, 01:10
Reboot after every Win10 update. :)

jlabbe
November 13th, 2018, 19:29
Hi,

In a modem/router situation, how do I make it works?
My desktop computer is connected with a cable to my D-Link router. The router is connected to the ISP modem. On the router, I forward port 1802 to my computer IP address (the same as display on the launcher screen). But I have a connection failed. If I connect my desktop directly to the modem , it's working.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms mynetwork [192.168.2.1]
2 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.11.17.105
3 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 10.178.206.152
4 3 ms 2 ms 2 ms 10.178.206.153
5 4 ms 6 ms 6 ms tcore4-montreal02_2-12-0-0.net.bell.ca [64.230.91.56]
6 3 ms 3 ms 4 ms bx1-montrealgz_et-0-0-5.net.bell.ca [64.230.26.135]
7 2 ms 3 ms 3 ms google_bx1-montrealgz.net.bell.ca [184.150.167.189]
8 4 ms 4 ms 3 ms 108.170.251.21
9 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms 108.170.235.210
10 20 ms 19 ms 20 ms 108.170.236.133
11 25 ms 24 ms 24 ms 216.239.48.9
12 26 ms 26 ms 26 ms 72.14.236.168
13 34 ms 34 ms 35 ms 216.239.59.43

Thanks for helping.

Gwydion
November 13th, 2018, 19:35
Hi,

My desktop computer is connected with a cable to my D-Link router. The router is connected to the ISP modem. On the router, I forward port 1802 to my computer IP address (the same as display on the launcher screen). But I have a connection failed. If I connect my desktop directly to the modem , it's working.

Thanks for helping.

Welcome to the forums jlabbe! Others will be around that know more than I do, but have you forwarded port 1802 from your modem to your router? That might be the missing piece. Sounds like you forwarded port 1802 from the router to your computer, but you still need to forward from your modem to your router.

jlabbe
November 13th, 2018, 19:41
Welcome to the forums jlabbe! Others will be around that know more than I do, but have you forwarded port 1802 from your modem to your router? That might be the missing piece. Sounds like you forwarded port 1802 from the router to your computer, but you still need to forward from your modem to your router.

Hi Gwydion,

Thank you for the quick answer.
No I didn't just because I don't know how to do it on the modem. It is owned by my ISP. Should I contact them or there's a way for me to access it through my desktop?
I would also like to know what IP address I would be using on the modem configuration.

Gwydion
November 13th, 2018, 19:42
Hi Gwydion,

Thank you for the quick answer.
No I didn't just because I don't know how to do it on the modem. It is owned by my ISP. Should I contact them or there's a way for me to access it through my desktop?
I would also like to know what IP address I would be using on the modem configuration.

What is the make and model of your modem? Can you post that here?

jlabbe
November 13th, 2018, 19:44
D-Link
DIR-655

Gwydion
November 13th, 2018, 19:46
D-Link
DIR-655

Ok. Try to log in by typing 192.168.0.1 in your search engine browser. If you get to a login screen for the modem, try to log in with admin as the username with the password left blank.

Gwydion
November 13th, 2018, 19:49
Here is a guide that folks here reference sometimes.

https://portforward.com/d-link/dir-655/

Note that you should not need to purchase anything although they do advertise some paid services on the site.

jlabbe
November 13th, 2018, 20:51
Hi Gwydion,
You're confirming that my router setup was done right.

Now I need to figure out why I get a fail connection message when I'm connected through my router vs being directly connected to my ISP modem.

damned
November 13th, 2018, 21:10
What IP address do you get when plugged in to the ISP modem?

jlabbe
November 13th, 2018, 22:15
Actually a different one. 192.168.2.29

damned
November 14th, 2018, 00:44
You will need to login to the gateway address you get when connected to that network... probably 192.168.2.1...
and port forward tcp 1802 on that device to teh WAN ip of the other router (the WAN IP will also start be 192.168.2.something).
you probably want to make a dhcp reservation in the ISP router/modem for your router so that it doesnt change at some point.

then your other router will need to port forward to your computers ip.

Trenloe
November 14th, 2018, 00:52
Hi,

Thanks for helping.
The tracert shows that you have private IP addresses (the 10... addresses) outside of your local network. Your ISP is sharing the end public IP address - quite common now. You'll need to get in touch with thematic see if they can set you up with "port forwarding on TCP port 1802 for peer to peer gaming". If they can't then you will need to look into a VPN solution.

damned
November 14th, 2018, 01:06
My post above is incorrect.
The address you posted is on the same range as the tracert - this doesnt need double NAT on your end.
It very likely does need something on your ISPs end.

jlabbe
November 14th, 2018, 13:06
Ok, thank you guys. I will call them and see if they can fix this. At least, I have a backup plan through a direct connection to my ISP modem.

jlabbe
November 14th, 2018, 15:05
So I called my ISP and got the Modem password. I redirect the TCP port 1802 to my router and, Voilà!!
In the end, I had to open the TCP port on my router with my desktop IP address and also open the port on my modem with the router IP address (not the same that I use to connect into it)

Thanks for your help!!!

Gwydion
November 14th, 2018, 15:09
So I called my ISP and got the Modem password. I redirect the TCP port 1802 to my router and, Voilà!!
In the end, I had to open the TCP port on my router with my desktop IP address and also open the port on my modem with the router IP address (not the same that I use to connect into it)

Thanks for your help!!!

Excellent! Game on.

Tuubi
January 5th, 2019, 20:49
Hello!

Im getting the same issues as some other poeple. Im using FG in face-to-face sessions and as of today i couldnt connect my other screen to my desktop. After running the connection test several times it always ends up with failure. I´ve tried to port forward but that didnt work. I´ve tried to add exclusions to both windows firewall and Bitdefender but that didnt work. I´ve tried to set network to private but that didnt work. Just a few minutes ago i did the tracert and got this result:

1 <1 ms 1 ms <1 ms homerouter.cpe [192.168.8.1]
3 18 ms 18 ms 17 ms 10.96.14.49
4 20 ms 19 ms 26 ms 172.22.20.131
5 18 ms 18 ms 17 ms 172.22.20.161
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * 20 ms 19 ms 141.208.195.149
8 22 ms 21 ms 21 ms 62.115.143.50
9 29 ms 28 ms 29 ms s-bb3-link.telia.net [62.115.123.26]
10 29 ms 37 ms 29 ms s-b5-link.telia.net [62.115.137.159]
11 30 ms 29 ms 30 ms google-ic-319323-s-b5.c.telia.net [213.248.103.67]
12 29 ms 30 ms 30 ms 108.170.254.33
13 31 ms 29 ms 37 ms 216.239.58.47
14 30 ms 31 ms 29 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

Im using a Huawei B525s 4G modem. It worked flawlessly before the christmas break but when i returned to my apartment today it somehow did not work. I havent even had a port forward before the break.
Im hoping its something i did so its easily fixed. Any suggestions?

Gwydion
January 5th, 2019, 20:51
Hello!

Im getting the same issues as some other poeple. Im using FG in face-to-face sessions and as of today i couldnt connect my other screen to my desktop. After running the connection test several times it always ends up with failure. I´ve tried to port forward but that didnt work. I´ve tried to add exclusions to both windows firewall and Bitdefender but that didnt work. I´ve tried to set network to private but that didnt work. Just a few minutes ago i did the tracert and got this result:

1 <1 ms 1 ms <1 ms homerouter.cpe [192.168.8.1]
3 18 ms 18 ms 17 ms 10.96.14.49
4 20 ms 19 ms 26 ms 172.22.20.131
5 18 ms 18 ms 17 ms 172.22.20.161
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * 20 ms 19 ms 141.208.195.149
8 22 ms 21 ms 21 ms 62.115.143.50
9 29 ms 28 ms 29 ms s-bb3-link.telia.net [62.115.123.26]
10 29 ms 37 ms 29 ms s-b5-link.telia.net [62.115.137.159]
11 30 ms 29 ms 30 ms google-ic-319323-s-b5.c.telia.net [213.248.103.67]
12 29 ms 30 ms 30 ms 108.170.254.33
13 31 ms 29 ms 37 ms 216.239.58.47
14 30 ms 31 ms 29 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

Im using a Huawei B525s 4G modem. It worked flawlessly before the christmas break but when i returned to my apartment today it somehow did not work. I havent even had a port forward before the break.
Im hoping its something i did so its easily fixed. Any suggestions?

Usually when it was working before and now isn’t it’s because your internal ip address changed. I would check that first and make sure you are port forwarding to the correct IP address.

ddavison
January 5th, 2019, 20:56
For connecting to another computer inside your house, you should use the internal IP address of the host.

If that doesn’t work, it might be from local security software suddenly blocking the EXE.

Tuubi
January 5th, 2019, 21:01
Is the local IP address the IPv4 address from the ipconfig in cmd?

EDIT: I´ve used the internal IP address that my desktop has to connect from the other screen. (2 instances from the same computer, and it worked that way all the time)

Zacchaeus
January 5th, 2019, 21:33
If you click on load campaign or create new campaign on the right hand side you will see your computer's internal IP address. For connections from another computer on the same network use that address to connect. To connect a second instance of FG on the same computer use 'localhost' (without the quotes) in place of an IP address or alias.

Tuubi
January 5th, 2019, 21:49
Tried the localhost (worked with the IP address earlier last year but oh well) and that worked! Thanks :) Seems like i just fumbled with some settings. Typical me..

damned
January 5th, 2019, 22:09
Have a read of this post and answer the last 7 questions.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47051-Fantasy-Grounds-Connections-Explained

Your trace looks horrible and like its very unlikely it will work.
However - if it did work previously we may be able to fix or your ISP may have made some changes that they can revert.

damned
January 5th, 2019, 22:10
For Face to Face sessions they need to use your LAN address.

Tuubi
January 5th, 2019, 22:24
I will look through the post in the morning, thanks for the help! :)

JohnKapsalis
January 16th, 2019, 08:42
Hey I have just purchased the FG, I have followed the steps to open the 8102 port from my router and enabled it through my firewall. When testing connection to host game i always get failure. Upnp is also enabled on my router. Yesterday I connected to a friends game as player succesfully (I don t know if that says anything). I am confused on what to do next. I ve also disabled firewall once and tried test but that was also a failure.
Any ideas?

JohnKapsalis
January 16th, 2019, 08:44
sorry I meant 1802

damned
January 16th, 2019, 08:45
Welcome John

Have a read of this post and answer the last 7 questions.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47051-Fantasy-Grounds-Connections-Explained

ddavison
January 16th, 2019, 14:29
Hey I have just purchased the FG, I have followed the steps to open the 8102 port from my router and enabled it through my firewall. When testing connection to host game i always get failure. Upnp is also enabled on my router. Yesterday I connected to a friends game as player succesfully (I don t know if that says anything). I am confused on what to do next. I ve also disabled firewall once and tried test but that was also a failure.
Any ideas?

Hello JohnKapsalis,

This normally means that the port forward is not set properly, although there could be a few other things. Email [email protected] and send the following information and screenshots. We should be able to assist you or at least confirm that you've done those steps properly. You only need to do that when hosting games as a DM and where players connect to your network remotely.

1. Make and model # of your router
2. Screenshot of the Connection Test screen in FG with your Internal and External IP address shown
3. Whether you are on a Mac or Windows
4. Screenshot of your router's port forward configuration that you've added

JohnKapsalis
January 16th, 2019, 14:36
Hi, i am waiting a reply from my internet provider. If it is not solved this way i ll follow these steps. Thanks.