PDA

View Full Version : 5e NPC sheet, create a "to hit" syntax with percentile dice instead of a d20?

jh79
February 7th, 2015, 04:35
5e NPC sheet
Question: How to create a "to hit" syntax with percentile dice instead of a d20?

I've been looking for the answer to this for a while and can't find anything. I know you can right click the ten sided dice in the 5e rule set, and then click the percentage icon to roll percentile dice manually, but I would like to type percentile dice into the NPC sheet for different special circumstances, like what I wrote below.

This is how I would type a normal hit and damage into the NPC actions
+5 to hit (1d6+3)Piercing Damage

How can I make that "to hit" roll percentage dice instead of that +5 to the d20 to hit an enemy? is it possible? What would be the syntax? If not this ruleset, do any other rulesets do that? If so, which one so I can purchase it? Are there any extensions for this? Thanks in advance to anyone that can help with this because I am finding no joy in my search. Thanks in advance

Trenloe
February 7th, 2015, 04:44
I think we need a bit more clarification on what you're trying to do. As you mention "do any other rulesets do that?" it sounds like you're not specifically asking for d100 rolls in the 5E ruleset, but you're asking for rulesets that support d100 rolls for NPCs. Is that correct?

For example, the Call of Cthulhu ruleset is d100 based (using Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying d100 system at it's core) and you can roll d100 attacks and damage from the NPC characters sheet:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Call%20of%20Cthulhu%20NPC%20attack.jpg

But, this is call of Cthulhu, not 5E. If you want to know more about the Call of Cthulhu system, you can get the quickstart rules for free from here: https://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/101292/Call-of-Cthulhu-QuickStart-Rules?

EDIT: The Call of Cthulhu ruleset is currently on sale in the store.

jh79
February 7th, 2015, 05:48
Thank you for the quick response, I am looking for typed syntax for percentile dice, if its possible in the 5e rule set for NPC's in the NPC sheet, and if there is a way a player can add it as a power or an effect or attack to their character sheet to roll percentage dice.

I just need percentile dice rolled if I click it on the NPC, or a player can click it from their character sheet and the percentile dice are rolled. I know we can manually do it by right clicking the 10 sided dice, but was wondering if we can set it up on players and NPC's sheets?

A last result would be another rule set like the COC example you have above, thank you for pointing that out by the way. That would really be a last resort though, since we like the advantage/disadvantage buttons and all the other goodies in the 5e rule set. I will do it for this particular game if there are no alternatives.

So, Attack Syntax for percentile dice would be great if it's possible, if I could type it in the 5e rule set in the NPC's sheet, and or if a player could add it as a power, or and effect, and it rolls percentile dice for them? Very much appreciated.

damned
February 7th, 2015, 07:03
but what are you measuring/checking your percentile attack dice against?
if you just need a quick way to roll d100 do this:
in chat window type:
/die d100 [Attack]
and dont press Enter. instead place your mouse over the text and hold click and drag it down to one of your Hot Key slots.
If a player does this to F6 then everytie they press F6 you will see in chat window:
Madruga: [Attack] (d100) 37

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-11.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

jh79
February 7th, 2015, 08:02
Hi, it's basically for and old basic Western game called Boot Hill 2nd edition. It is a percentile dice game. The percentile attack is a rolled percentage each time to hit that is compared to a table, that table has additional bonus's and penalties to add to the original percentile role to see if you hit your target. It's not directly against an Armor Class so you just have to check the table add them together and see what happens.

So I just need a mechanism for a basic percentile roll, then the player or me the GM would add bonus's or subtract percentage penalties, like range, whether your running and shooting, if you have cover ect, and tack it on to the original percentile roll, and that will tell you if they hit or miss.

I have added home brew rules to use Advantage/ Disadvantage, and other 5e rules like the 5e skills, ect, hence my reason for wanting to stick with 5e. I will eventually convert it to a 100% 5e Western game.

I saw that a gentleman posted online somewhere a 5e Gunslinger Class, and some other 5e Western classes along with weapons, ect, and will probably just build off of that for a complete 5e version. It would be nice though if the 5e rule set supported typed syntax in the NPC sheet and character sheets like COC for percentile dice rolls, maybe I will find the suggestion thread and add it there.

Also thanks for the suggestion, I will use it in tomorrows game. In the long run it would be a nice feature in the 5e rule set, but your solution certainly works fine. Much appreciated guys!

damned
February 7th, 2015, 08:35
Hi jh79 as Trenloe suggests the Call Of Cthulhu ruleset is d100 based.
You can even use the TrailOfCthulhu ruleset by cscase which is a free community ruleset to have a look - it uses very similar functionality/rolls.
Cthulhu based games are not very biased towards combat though so the combat mechanics are not very detailed.

You should also DEFINITELY look at the CoreRPG as an option. Watch this excellent video.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23137-Walkthrough-of-Creating-a-Character-Sheet-for-any-game-system-with-zero-coding

Another mechanic/ruleset that you might look at is the Maelstrom RPG ruleset Im nearly done with.
It uses a % mechanism - most rolls are aiming to go under a target number.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-10.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

damned
February 7th, 2015, 08:49
And of course I forgot another option - although it is not d100 based - dr_venture produced a western theme extension for Castles&Crusades.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-7.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)

jh79
February 7th, 2015, 10:54
It hit me that I could make my own tables in the 5e rule set with the tables button on the top right, which also works for a generic percentile to hit, and just got done doing all the custom wound tables for the game that I can share with players. The table GUI is very nice and custom friendly, great job FG team!

Damned, thank you man, I will surly look into all those options, appreciate all the suggestions and I will look into each and every one of them. Eventually I want to move on and make a 5e version, someone has already done a lot of the work on it, so I would just be building very little on top of that. Thanks for helping me solve the problem guys, much appreciated.

Trenloe
February 7th, 2015, 15:43
Hi jh79 as Trenloe suggests the Call Of Cthulhu ruleset is d100 based.

You can even use the TrailOfCthulhu ruleset by cscase which is a free community ruleset to have a look - it uses very similar functionality/rolls.
FYI the Trail of Cthulhu Ruleset is NOT d100 based, it is 1d6 based. The GUMSHOE system that Trail of Cthulhu used is completely different to the d100 system that Call of Cthulhu uses. Don't get your Cthulhus mixed up! ;-)

Trenloe
February 7th, 2015, 15:47
So, Attack Syntax for percentile dice would be great if it's possible, if I could type it in the 5e rule set in the NPC's sheet, and or if a player could add it as a power, or and effect, and it rolls percentile dice for them? Very much appreciated.
The 5E NPC and PC sheets are hard coded to use a d20 for attack rolls. The underlying LUA code would need to be changed with an extension. I'm not aware of anyone doing this for the 5E ruleset.

When you mention you and your players like th advantage/disadvantage mechanic, how would you see this translating to Boot Hill? Would it then be based off a d100 roll?

damned
February 7th, 2015, 21:44
FYI the Trail of Cthulhu Ruleset is NOT d100 based, it is 1d6 based. The GUMSHOE system that Trail of Cthulhu used is completely different to the d100 system that Call of Cthulhu uses. Don't get your Cthulhus mixed up! ;-)

Im on Fire!
Ive actually even been using ToC this week - so bad....

jh79
February 7th, 2015, 23:38
We just got done playing an awesome game of Boot Hill 2nd edition, Wow! making custom tables with the tables button in fantasy grounds with the 5e rule set was the way to go! Thought I would mention how I did it in case anyone else wants to run their own Boot Hill game, or other percentile dice game.

Each character had two roll tables of percentile dice waiting for them when they logged in, one for each type of weapon they bought, gun and thrown weapon like a knife. Each table having different percentage values and labels for that particular weapon that was being used at the time, and it showed up in the chat window perfectly.

After i made those tables public by sharing them with players, including two separate tables for hit location(what part of the body) and wound charts, each person pulled their own perspective tables, with their characters name into the numbered fast click slots at the bottom of Fantasy Grounds by dragging the shields. They would just click the numbers at the bottom and the appropriate table would pop up. worked like a charm!
In addition we implemented some 5e homebrew rules with Advantage/Disadvantage, and some other 5e rules.

We also used the 5e Character sheet for customizing all aspects of the characters, including portraits and tokens(I made about 100 Western tokens, WOTC style with the bases). Also I made image pictures of the mod charts needed to figure out bonus's and penalties to tact onto their original base roll for the weapon they were using from their table.

I used the notes tab in the character sheet to write out all their boot hill stats, used the HP slot on the main tab so they could drag damage onto the enemy's on the map and the DM back to them and it would show on the combat tracker nicely. If anyone wants extra details PM me and I'll go into more detail.

Thanks for kicking my brain cells around so this solution could come to light, I definitely appreciate it and so does my group!

damned
February 8th, 2015, 02:20
well done jh79!

jh79
February 8th, 2015, 03:26
When you mention you and your players like th advantage/disadvantage mechanic, how would you see this translating to Boot Hill? Would it then be based off a d100 roll?

Sorry, I missed the question above. The brawling and grappling rules are d20 based as opposed to the shooting or throwing percentile mechanics, that's why the 5e advantage/disadvantage worked perfectly for us in that situation in conjunction with the percentile tables.

So we homebrewed some rules for advantage/disadvantage. If a brawl or grapple broke out and it was a 2 on 1 or more, made sense to give advantage/disadvantage. Also we are talking about bringing 5e skill checks in, as well as some other 5e mechanics that gell so well we have to do it.

A great example in today's game, after an epic shootout, the only villain left standing closed in, but had to reload Instead of wasting a round to do that, (in this game you could lose your life in 1 round reloading), the villain grappled a player. As they started fighting, another player joined in, so they had advantage on the one poor villain, you can guess what happened to him lol...

We were all cracking up at how good it meshed, and immediately added it to the rules. Other rules we discussed adding; having the ability to hold one shot and ready an action with it, ambush bonus-like sneak attack, the 5e skill system, a 50/50 luck bonus, to avoid a mortal wound and take a light wound instead, etc...