PDA

View Full Version : What class has access to a familiar

YAKO SOMEDAKY
January 31st, 2015, 19:10
In DnD 3.5 was the Sorcerer who had familiar in DnD 5 remains he?

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2015, 21:22
It would appear that the only way to obtain a familiar is via the Find Familiar spell. This is a Wizard spell so the Wizard would certainly be able to get one. This spell is not on the Sorcerer's list so the answer to your question would appear to be no, the Sorcerer does not gain a familiar.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
January 31st, 2015, 22:02
Ok..understood...thanks Zacchaeus

someoneinatree
February 1st, 2015, 05:08
Apart from having Wizard levels, you could also be any class with the "Magic Initiate" feat... which gives you two cantrips and a single 1st-level spell once per day from any spellcasting class. If you wanted a familiar for roleplay purposes as any other class, that would be your option.

Zacchaeus
February 1st, 2015, 13:29
Apart from having Wizard levels, you could also be any class with the "Magic Initiate" feat... which gives you two cantrips and a single 1st-level spell once per day from any spellcasting class. If you wanted a familiar for roleplay purposes as any other class, that would be your option.

Indeed, this is correct. When I wrote the above I was frantically trying to remember what that feat was but couldn't bring it to mind. I should have taken the time to look and therefore given a more complete answer. Apologies Yako2020.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
February 1st, 2015, 16:08
Is that where I am a sorcerer named Edgar Alan and would like a crow called Poe to accompany me and if you can give me the advantages that the family guarantees that would be very good.

Zacchaeus
February 1st, 2015, 17:51
Is that where I am a sorcerer named Edgar Alan and would like a crow called Poe to accompany me and if you can give me the advantages that the family guarantees that would be very good.

Ahaha, excellent name choices. I have had a look at the spell and it doesn't look like the Familiar is going to be much of a game changer for you. More a roleplaying thing perhaps, certainly not going to make a lot of difference in combat, although I can see some interesting possible uses for spellcasting through it and perhaps using it as a scout..

DrakosDJ
February 2nd, 2015, 05:22
FYI... The Warlock can also get a Familiar depending on his pact. A Pact of the Chain Warlock gains Find Familiar spell and they can cast it as a ritual. They even get a few extra familiars to choose from.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
February 2nd, 2015, 17:48
I did the following to give the Familiar for the character, I made an Imp tab of NPCs and shared with him.
I know the imp is defined shapeshifter but it is only in the form of a raven.

spoofer
February 3rd, 2015, 00:33
[QUOTE=Zacchaeus;199149] certainly not going to make a lot of difference in combat, /QUOTE]

Actually, it makes a HUGE difference. One of my players has a familiar. We learned the rules inside and out. We debated them to death. We check the internet for more information many times. Oh yeah, that little guy matters. Combine the following:
rogue with sneak attack
familiar with fly-by ability
the help action
and you have some very serious synergy, enough so that I now consider the party to have one more PC in it when estimating how difficult an encounter will be.

Familiars kick in 5e.

K.

El Condoro
February 3rd, 2015, 08:56
Yeah, so a (1st level, or any level) variant human rogue takes Ritual Caster as his feat and then gets a hawk familiar. The hawk uses its action to Help and the rogue gets advantage on his Sneak Attacks. Nice.

An intelligent creature might ready an attack for when the familiar comes into range (AC 13 for a hawk is not too hard to kill at 1 hit point) but it will still be a good tactic.

Actually, I liked the old days (2e?) where the caster lost hit points if his familiar died. No such problem in 5e - it's not a beast, so just cast the spell/ritual again and get a new one.

JC_Wijma
October 18th, 2015, 22:03
It would appear that the only way to obtain a familiar is via the Find Familiar spell. This is a Wizard spell so the Wizard would certainly be able to get one. This spell is not on the Sorcerer's list so the answer to your question would appear to be no, the Sorcerer does not gain a familiar.

The reason why this spell is only on the Wizard spell list is because find familiar is usually cast once from a scroll. Sorcerers can also cast Wizard spells from scrolls, so they too can gain a familiar this way. In fact, ANY class that can cast this spell from a scroll could gain a familiar now, including a Rogue crass.