PDA

View Full Version : What's The Answer? - Most Will Get This WRONG!

dulux-oz
January 30th, 2015, 09:16
This is making the rounds on LinkedIn at the moment; its interesting enough to post here and see what people come up with.

WHAT IS THE ANSWER?

7 + 7 / 7 + 7 * 7 - 7

Unfortunately most will get this WRONG!

Cheers

AstaSyneri
January 30th, 2015, 09:29
Err, 50. Where is the trick?

Mask_of_winter
January 30th, 2015, 10:27
0? Never been good at math lol

damned
January 30th, 2015, 10:31
Err, 50. Where is the trick?

unless they are 1's and then it would be 2?

Tiqon
January 30th, 2015, 12:39
I would say 50 too. If you follow the math rules I know... Which reminds me I read this one today:

"I have many problems, but I don't know how many, because math is one of them."

Valarian
January 30th, 2015, 13:38
It's all about precendence:
the first thing being the multiplication (7x7=49)
and the division (7/7=1)
then the addition and subtraction

so ... 7 + 1 + 49 - 7 = 50

Unfortunately, a lot of these that go around Facebook and LinkedIn are profile farming for later spam.

JohnD
January 30th, 2015, 14:05
https://whatscookingamerica.net/Vegetables/Russet_Potato.jpg

Did I get it?

damned
January 30th, 2015, 21:37
thats a good looking spud John.

Tiqon
January 30th, 2015, 21:54

Gadreun
January 30th, 2015, 22:14
https://whatscookingamerica.net/Vegetables/Russet_Potato.jpg

Did I get it?

John wins! ;)

I will be honest. my first thought was "0" but then i remembered something in my dark dusty recesses about math rules! So i too opt for 50.

Ikael
January 30th, 2015, 22:29
50. Numbers seems to be sevens (unless presented with some strange font) and ops seems clear as well. Unless you are actually asking what is the question? Nobody is really asking outcome of the calculation, just stating it (without context), but in this case this are just annoying interweb spams.

JohnD
January 30th, 2015, 22:44
thats a good looking spud John.

Thanks. That's all I'm going to have left to eat after the wife sees the bill for all the C&C stuff I just bought.

dulux-oz
January 31st, 2015, 01:56
...but in this case this are just annoying interweb spams.

Possibly it is spam, but its also quite enlightening - at least people's answers are.

Over on LinkedIn there have been approximately 800 answers from people from all parts of the world and with all sorts of Job Titles, and about half of them get it wrong!

"So?" you may ask.

So these people are making decisions which effect the lives of hundreds if not thousands of people: they could be your boss or your boss's boss. And yet they can't get a 3rd Grade math problem correct!

I find that appalling!

So this is/was an experiment to see what my fellow FGers come up with - after all, RPGers on average are supposed to have 5-10 IQ points over the general population. I also thought it was interesting in its own right.

Oh, and yes, they are "sevens".

Cheers

Nickademus
January 31st, 2015, 03:17
The only thing I find appalling is that you are just now realizing this. I forget the actual stats, but you should look up the number of US high school kids that can't locate the US on a map.

JohnD
January 31st, 2015, 06:09
I guess potato was the wrong answer after all. :(

ianmward
January 31st, 2015, 06:50
Don't worry John. Potato was the right answer to another, perfectly good question, so maybe it was just the question that was wrong.

Dakadin
January 31st, 2015, 08:07
I guess potato was the wrong answer after all. :(

Hopefully it at least tasted good! ;)

dulux-oz
January 31st, 2015, 12:56
The only thing I find appalling is that you are just now realizing this. I forget the actual stats, but you should look up the number of US high school kids that can't locate the US on a map.

It's about half, I believe.

However, I would expect that to be the bottom half of the workforce, not senior management and C-Suite people.

And for what it's worth, "potato" is at least as correct as 50% of the respondents, or so it seems :p

Ardem
February 4th, 2015, 14:52
I knew straight away you must do, divides and multiplication first. Then again I was always decent with Maths.

English not so much, unless its psuedo code <smile>