PDA

View Full Version : Export Notes?

shemantis
January 29th, 2015, 01:30
Am I being dumb/blind? Both happen to me sometimes, lol. I want to export Notes as part of a module I am exporting. Is that possible? Thank you!

Trenloe
January 29th, 2015, 01:41
Notes are really meant to be "stuff" specific to a campaign - notes players make for all sorts of reasons (loot lists, reminders, quest details, etc., etc.). They're not really seen as stuff you'd usually want to put into a module for use in another campaign.

If you want to do that however, I'd recommend you copy/paste the Notes into Story entries and export the story entries into your module. Then if you want those story entries back as notes in another campaign do the reverse copy/paste from Story to Notes.

shemantis
January 29th, 2015, 01:44
I guess that's what I'll have to do. It just sucks because almost *all* of them are tables (not rollable, just formatted text), and copying and pasting tables in FG doesn't work very well. =o /
Thank you for your help. I should have known better, lol.

Nickademus
January 29th, 2015, 03:48
There is an easier way....

Open the db.xml file in your campaign and look for the <notes> section. You can copy/paste the tables with all the formatting to the story entries (called <encounters> in the database).

damned
January 29th, 2015, 08:01
There is an easier way....

Open the db.xml file in your campaign and look for the <notes> section. You can copy/paste the tables with all the formatting to the story entries (called <encounters> in the database).

or back into the notes section of your new/next campaign

Trenloe
January 29th, 2015, 08:12
If you're happy editing XML directly and look out for any clashes in the <id-XXXXX> tags this is a good way to move the notes over to a new campaign. If you move the notes to <encounters> (Story entries) in a campaign you can also export them into a module for future use in other campaigns.

shemantis
January 29th, 2015, 13:54
Those are the answers I was hoping for, thank you all!!
I did check the db.xml, and could find my notes, but wasn't sure what the complications may be of just pasting them somewhere else. I will give it a try.
Thanks again.

Trenloe
January 29th, 2015, 13:56
As long as you make a backup of your db.xml file before you make the changes you're pretty safe as you can just roll back to the copy.

shemantis
January 29th, 2015, 22:11
As I am sure you all expected, this worked perfectly. Thank you again.