PDA

View Full Version : Better Spells Tab on Character Sheet

JohnD
January 28th, 2015, 05:10
It would be nice if the Spells tab would allow you to have multiple classes like say the 3.5e and Pathfinder rules.

For those Wizard/Cleric types. And Domains. And stuff n' thangs.

dr_venture
January 28th, 2015, 06:45
Definitely would be nice... agreed.

JohnD
February 1st, 2015, 16:26
Any chance this could make it into the next update? Anyone?

damned
February 1st, 2015, 20:53
Youd have to ping JPG for that one - he is the current maintainer of Castles&Crusades...

S Ferguson
February 1st, 2015, 21:00
It depends on what "tangs" you want. I've always viewed magic as magic: divine or supernatural.

Cheers,
SF

JohnD
February 2nd, 2015, 01:42
Hmm, well given the rule set and spells aren't as robust as say the 3.5e or Pathfinder, I'd say as long as you could add more than one class like in those rule sets, and then specify what the class is and define the number of spell slots would do it. I suppose being able to define between memorization classes and cast at will (i.e. the Sorcerer in the Crusader's Companion) would be good as well.

C&C doesn't handle multiple spell casting classes well yet, say the cleric/wizard.

S Ferguson
February 4th, 2015, 00:25
Those types of casting seem to have been replaced and/or eliminated in the current version. There used to be the standard 3.5e magic casting involved, but I assume the overhead was not worth the overall maintenance of the ruleset. After all, in the straight rules, be it memorization or meditation, the spell use is still the same. This is a perfect extension material. Maybe Moon can add an extension that brings back mana casting, etc. The ruleset was only meant to cover the Core Rules. With all due respect, however, I see your point in the different mechanics that might be used. IMHO an extension, though, would do just fine if you want to step "outside the box" of regular spell casting. and into the world of homebrew systems.

I've always thought that the present system simplifies things a lot, as C&C is wonderful at doing. Moving it up to the level of PF or 3.5e I think would be a little excessive. No C&C doesn't handle multiclass characters very well but they are rare in C&C, where you usually are concentrating on one class or the other - not both simultaneously. It's not like everybody can cast spells (some like the barbarian even impede this) and the barbarian shaman class, for example, completely contradicts this. I suppose it depends on how mutable you want the system to be , and at what expense (it's more difficult to learn skills when multiclassing than it is for a straight character class). .

That being said, I think that if you want the mutability, it's most likely going to be in the form of a "fan" extension, than a change to the core rules.

Cheers,
SF

JohnD
February 4th, 2015, 01:19
Even just the functionality to have more than one class on the tab would do it I think, but I hear what you're saying.