PDA

View Full Version : FGcon - Anyone want to run the same 5e encounter?

spoofer
January 27th, 2015, 22:46
Hello fellow 5e DMs,

I want to run an encounter / mini-adventure during this upcoming FGCon. Furthermore, I really want to develop the encounter with other DMs, and then run it separately and compare notes. As I live in Japan and do not attend live conferences, I have no idea to what level organized play like this has evolved, or if it even exists anymore. (It did back in the 1980s --- Scourge of the Slavelords is a classic example.) I am hoping someone else can show me how this type of thing is done these days, or we can reinvent the wheel together and make up our own organized play. As I live in Japan, I could run a session in my evening, while someone else ran the same game offset by 8 to 12 hours. Then we could compare and see how well the different groups did.

Anyone interested?

K.

Trenloe
January 27th, 2015, 22:50
There's two forms of D&D organised play for 5e: D&D Encounters: https://dnd.wizards.com/playevents/encounters or the D&D adventurers league: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/events/adventurers-league-resources

spoofer
January 27th, 2015, 23:18
Thanks for the links. That could be a model to go on, or we could go a completely different route. But first I need at least one (maybe more?) DM.

damned
January 28th, 2015, 09:41
Hey spoofer - with the growing popularity of 5E Im really hoping a few 5e GMs will be able to run sessions.
The other big challenge is chosing/building a one shot that is finishable within your time frame - its no fun when you run over time <guilty looks> ;)
There is no reason - with your TZ at +8 that we couldnt get a UK/Euro at +0 and a US at -4 to -7 which would allow almost everyone in everytime zone an opportunity to play.

spoofer
January 28th, 2015, 22:40
...which would allow almost everyone in everytime zone an opportunity to play.

Yes, that is what I am hoping to achieve.

Kevin

Gadreun
January 29th, 2015, 07:02
I am interested in this, I plan to run at least 2 and hopefully 4 x 5e games during FG Con. I am in New Zealand. 1 of those I would be happy to try your synchronised approach.

damned
January 29th, 2015, 07:51
Woot!

spoofer
January 29th, 2015, 13:26
Awesome! Let's swap emails so we can discuss what to run. Actually, I do not have any specific ideas and will be open to anything that will work well. We need someone from the Americas time zones.

Gadreun
January 30th, 2015, 06:56
Sounds good! these are the session times im thinking which give me greatest cover for UK and Aus players;
Fri 8pm GMT
Sat 6pm Aus
Sat 8pm GMT
Sun 6pm Aus.

I can also cover US timezones for some if required (swap some out 4 is plenty!)

I gave 17 hours per day to get in two 5 hour sessions so I have some flexibility.

Gadz.

Gadreun
January 30th, 2015, 09:13
I have emailed you my idea for the start of my game which will lead into my Campaign but will work well as a one-off adventure.