PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Society games at FG Con VI

Trenloe
January 27th, 2015, 16:20
You might have seen the recent email newsletter regarding FG Con VI - Friday evening 17th April AEST until Midnight Sunday 19th April PDT 2015. Just under 3 months away.

Like the last 3 FG Cons, I’d like to get Paizo product support again, which requires us to run a minimum of 15 sessions under the same event code/administration. This gives is a number of benefits:

The GMs get their scenario PDFs for free.
GMs get an exclusive GM boon.
Players (and GMs) get the chance to win player boons.
GMs and players get the chance to win Paizo PDFs. Paizo gave us 6 PDFs last time (a lot lower than previously – Mike Brock was told off for giving out too many).
The ability to run convention only scenarios such as the season 6 kickoff (5-99 The Paths We Choose) and Bonekeep.

I've emailed GMs who have ran games at FG Cons in the past. If you weren't on that email and are interested in running PFS games at FG Con VI then please PM me.

Things to keep in mind:

This is an organised convention and we will be using fixed 5 hour slots for all PFS games. This is to avoid overlap with other PFS sessions and give players and GMs the best opportunity to play as many PFS games as they wish. You must be willing to run your games within one of the predetermined slot time (you choose which one/s) - and finish your games within the slot time.
Players will be from all over the world, many of them new to Fantasy Grounds and PFS - if you want to GM you must be comfortable with the Pathfinder RPG and Pathfinder Society rules, comfortable with using Fantasy Grounds to run PFS games, your game/s must be well prepared to avoid any unnecessary delays, you must use the FG con event and booking system, you must be willing to communicate with your registered players yourself directly (outside of these forums) both before the game to get organised and after the game to provide chronicle sheets.

If you're not interested in fitting into the organized PFS events for FG Con VI, please don't organise your own PFS events for the convention - this will cause confusion and screw up the organisation (players expecting boons for playing in your game, etc.). You're more than welcome to run non-PFS pathfinder, or any other system, at the convention. Thanks.

HoloGnome
January 27th, 2015, 18:59
Sounds fun. Sign me up! I'll run at least 1 session/day.

cmdisc
January 27th, 2015, 20:03
The weekend this is scheduled for is perfect. A week sooner or later and my wife would have been unable to take the kids for me and let me be a do-nothing hubby and dad. As per my email you can count me in for GMing a session or two and I'm sure I'll be signing up for a good number to play in.

With more and more people stepping up to the plate to GM, this might be a weekend to break some records.

Skellan
January 27th, 2015, 20:30
This might be a weekend to break some records.

I hope so!

I will run stuff too

HoloGnome
January 27th, 2015, 20:37
A few questions:

1. Are the sessions open to any characters, as usual, or do GMs do pregen runs?

2. Do you suggest or advocate running any Core sessions in light of the new announcement?

3. How many unique player signups have there been in past CONS?

Trenloe
January 27th, 2015, 20:43
A few questions:

1. Are the sessions open to any characters, as usual, or do GMs do pregen runs?

2. Do you suggest or advocate running any Core sessions in light of the new announcement?

3. How many unique player signups have there been in past CONS?
1) Normal PFS characters. The GMs will need to communicate with the players signed up to their sessions ahead of time to get everything organised.

2) If you want you run Core you're more than welcome - but you'll have to be very clear to the players that you are running a core event.

3) At FG Con V we had over 100 player-sessions with 35 unique players.

HoloGnome
January 27th, 2015, 20:45
Thanks - sounds good. With that many sessions, there must have been a good amount of peak overlap.

Trenloe
January 27th, 2015, 20:47
Thanks - sounds good. With that many sessions, there must have been a good amount of peak overlap.
Nah, we had 18 sessions in total - 100 player-sessions is how many total player signups we had across all sessions, with most players signed up more than once.

Skellan
January 27th, 2015, 20:51
I will run purely core games but hopefully we will get a spread of core and non-core sessions.

Rivver
January 27th, 2015, 21:08
I'm happy to run a game or two, by then I should be much more comfortable with using FG as a GM. I'll probably stick to Core stuff as well, if that is okay?

xazil
January 27th, 2015, 21:54
PM sent. I could run a couple of games as well. Core or Non-Core. :)

cmdisc
January 27th, 2015, 21:56
I might pick a scenario and then run it twice...once as regular PFS and once as PFS Core. Still got time to decide on that though.

damned
January 27th, 2015, 22:02
Well done guys! The PFS support from you guys at FG Con is always awesome!

Trueshots
January 31st, 2015, 02:57
I'm in, I'll be glad to run something, can even do multiple sessions if need, just let me know.

xazil
January 31st, 2015, 08:30
Any chance of using FG Con to set up one of the below? I believe they require multiple tables so we can't just run them ad-hoc?

Year of the Shadow lodge-3 tables

Blood under Absalom-4 tables
Race for the Runecarved key-4 table
Siege of diamond city-5 tables
Legacy of the stone lords-5 tables

damned
January 31st, 2015, 08:46
Sounds like a challenge!

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-9.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Blackfoot
January 31st, 2015, 08:48
I plan to run at least 1 game at FGCon VI... but I will likely not run as many as I usually do because I plan on running a Champions thing as well.

lachancery
February 2nd, 2015, 14:41
I will run purely core games but hopefully we will get a spread of core and non-core sessions.

@ Trenloe:

That's a good point: my two game can either be core or not. I'll go with whatever makes sense for the slots I'm running in - which will again have to be the last slots of the day. To keep up with traditions, I will again run a series at FG Con.

Will we have a hard core "Slot 0" again, like we did for Bonekeep? The anticipation & anxiety leading up to that session was fun. :)

Trenloe
February 2nd, 2015, 14:51
Will we have a hard core "Slot 0" again, like we did for Bonekeep? The anticipation & anxiety leading up to that session was fun. :)
I can rune Bonekeep 2 for this convention if GMs are interested in a slot 0 run of this 1-2 weeks before FG Con?

Mask_of_winter
February 2nd, 2015, 14:56
Over at SXG we will do our best to run as many sessions as the PFS crew again. :)

Nothing wrong with friendly competition, right? hehe

Thanks for helping to make FG Con a success year after year guys!

Victor
February 2nd, 2015, 23:54
Things to keep in mind:
[LIST=1]
This is an organised convention and we will be using fixed 5 hour slots for all PFS games. This is to avoid overlap with other PFS sessions and give players and GMs the best opportunity to play as many PFS games as they wish. You must be willing to run your games within one of the predetermined slot time (you choose which one/s) - and finish your games within the slot time.

I know I mention this a lot, but are there any thoughts about trying to soft limit the games to 4 players for the Con? It would ensure the games would finish in 5 hours and possibly more games could be run. It may even be possible to experience that ever so elusive optional encounter. Of course if this would exclude new players from getting into games its just crazy talk. :)

Trenloe
February 3rd, 2015, 00:00
I know I mention this a lot, but are there any thoughts about trying to soft limit the games to 4 players for the Con? It would ensure the games would finish in 5 hours and possibly more games could be run. It may even be possible to experience that ever so elusive optional encounter. Of course if this would exclude new players from getting into games its just crazy talk. :)
We usually pretty much fill up every slot with bookings, and there are more than average no-shows at the convention so I wouldn't want to go to 4 players for any of the con games. I know it does go a bit quicker with 4 players, but not as fast as you might think when using Fantasy Grounds, there are still delays with people getting their actions ready, pauses in the conversation on teamspeak, etc. - some of the recently reported long running games might have ran a bit quicker with 4 players, but I really don't think that it makes a huge difference on Fantasy Grounds games - the GMs really have to step up and manage the game, ensure the players are on the ball and move events along.

Victor
February 3rd, 2015, 00:21
I see, and totally agree with people dropping off a lot it would not be at all wise to limit the Con games to 4 or even 5.
I have to strongly disagree though with your other point. I think it Does make a huge difference in time when running 4 players vs 6 in FG. It has so far in every 4 player game I have been in. Encounters certainly go faster, and often so will RP. Of course its no guarantee of a faster game, but as I said. I have found it to be so and talking to others I think they also believe it to be true.

damned
February 3rd, 2015, 00:44
@Victor - if you want to run a game with 4 that is up to you. As Trenloe points out the dropout/noshow rate is higher at a virtual online convention.
If you keep in close contact with your 4 players you can minimise the likelihood of that happening.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/fg-con-6-150-15.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Trenloe
February 3rd, 2015, 00:51
Thanks damned, but we will not be having different player limits for different PFS games at FG Con VI. We will fill the sessions with the usual 6 players. If some drop out at the last minute and there are no standbys available to jump in then so be it.

damned
February 3rd, 2015, 01:19
Thanks damned, but we will not be having different player limits for different PFS games at FG Con VI. We will fill the sessions with the usual 6 players. If some drop out at the last minute and there are no standbys available to jump in then so be it.

Got it boss!
:)

Blackfoot
February 3rd, 2015, 18:19
The con games are usually pretty full.. we wouldn't want to limit the number of slots... and besides... the PFS rules call for tables of 4-6 players... with the option to play with 3-7 if the situation calls for it.

RobG
February 11th, 2015, 13:06
Hi, I'd like to run a game or two, I've PM'd Trenloe :-)