PDA

View Full Version : Notecards/Post-Its, Tokens with Notes, or Auto-Updating public note?

pedetentous
January 27th, 2015, 09:36
Hello everyone. I am looking at playing a game called Rocket Amoeba using the CoreRPG module. This game has an element called Keys, which requires that each player have some index cards with brief phrases written on them, and there be a pool of similar "notes" on the table. When I played today, I used a normal note to keep track of the information and shared it publicly, but it got a little tiresome to keep sharing the updated sheet. So, I figured I would ask if any of these are possible...

Is there a way to make a note (or story element, etc) that automatically updates when edited (much like the drawings)?
Is there a way to make tokens that have notes attached to them?
Is there a way to create little notes that act like post-its?

I understand that I can create a note, make it public, and minimize it to a token. This, however would be a lot of work because Keys change hands, leave play, and so forth. I would probably prefer to keep track of everything in one note if I had no easier options.
I would love any input you folks have!

~Ped

damned
January 27th, 2015, 10:02
Create a STORY entry and share it at the start of each session. It auto updates as you add data to it. No need to reshare it but there can be a delay - seems to be up to 90seconds - before the data is displayed.
Even if the player accidentally closes it they can still get it back from Stories themselves without you having to reshare it.
If its something they really need a lot they can drag the link into the hotkeys to make it that bit quicker to bring back up.

Trenloe
January 27th, 2015, 15:00
What ruleset are you using? Shared notes (or story entries for that matter) should update as they are edited. You might consider running a second instance of FG on your GM computer, "Join game" with a host address of localhost and you will be able to see exactly what the players are seeing.

You can drag text to a token and that text appears as a tooltip (hover over the token to see the text). Write text in the chat entry but don't press enter, then drag the text from the chat entry and drop it on a token.

pedetentous
January 27th, 2015, 19:07
Thank you both for your assistance. I didn't realize that I could run another instance to test the program. After running both instances, I have a much greater understanding of how the sharing works, and I am definitely pleased by the sharing capabilities of Fantasy Grounds!

I do see now that most of these things update on their own. I assumed that since there was an "Update Sheet" option, it did not auto-update. I'm happy to know that it keeps everything in sync. I also tried adding text from the chat, and that works great also. Thank you for that suggestion, Trenloe.

I am using CoreRPG, as it is the most freeform and does pretty much everything I need it to. It is extremely versatile, and I am so far very happy with everything that I am able to do with Fantasy Grounds. :)

pedetentous
January 27th, 2015, 19:08
Now all I need is a native Mac app, and I'd be on cloud nine!

damned
January 27th, 2015, 22:00
check out the Improved Character Sheet extension from Psicodelix here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22683-CoreRPG-Improved-Charsheet
CoreRPG is much more powerful than most realise.

pedetentous
January 28th, 2015, 14:19
Thanks for the suggestion, damned! I'm going to look into it and see if it's not something I can make use of. :) It looks pretty cool.

Is there any work done yet on more expanded die rolls? I'm looking to use a roll-under mechanic, and I was thinking I could use the modifier to act as the rank instead, but I am afraid that would be too complicated. I'm sure someone has done something close for some of the WoD game systems?

~Ped

Valarian
January 28th, 2015, 15:19
Can't remember what I did for Corporation, which also uses a roll-under system. I think I just had the character sheet roll the dice and then compared to the Skill+Stat target. The Corporation character sheet extension for the old (basic) foundation ruleset is available in my community rulesets folder.

Trenloe
January 28th, 2015, 16:33
Is there any work done yet on more expanded die rolls? I'm looking to use a roll-under mechanic, and I was thinking I could use the modifier to act as the rank instead, but I am afraid that would be too complicated. I'm sure someone has done something close for some of the WoD game systems?
The CoreRPG (and layered rulesets) have an action mechanic built in to allow coding of rolling, handling and reporting custom roll mechanics. In it's simplest form you can change the createActionMessage function in scripts\manager_actions.lua in the CoreRPG to compare the dice roll with a custom piece of data in the rRoll table (or get it from the character sheet via rSource), or just use the number in the modifier box for a quick comparison - rRoll.nMod is the main modifier and would be the number from the modifier box if there were no other modifiers in play.

In the long run, you'd want to add this roll mechanic as a custom action within the ruleset - so that you're not having code being ran for simple dice rolls (throwing a dice into the chat window, the GM rolling for random encounters, etc.). A good example of this is an ability roll in the 3.5e ruleset (scripts\manager_action_ability.lua)- it takes the stat to roll (this could be replaced by a skill, or whatever you want to use) and a target DC, rolls a d20 (this could be changed for your ruleset) and displays success or failure based on the roll.

damned
January 28th, 2015, 21:01
the ruleset Im working on (which the good Trenloe above has assisted me with) uses a roll under mechanic - but yes - it is coded into the ruleset so it declares a result on the roll.
with CoreRPG it doesnt have a target number so if you name your skill as something like Climbing 8 and drag the appropriate die into the die field when the characer rolls they will see: Gregor: Climbing 8: <12> and you can easily call it a Fail.

pedetentous
January 29th, 2015, 18:57
Thank you, Valarian and Trenloe for your input. I think it's best to do as you suggested, Damned. I'm not sure I have the time or capability to do much editing, and the mechanic is a little more complex than a simple roll under method. Thank you both for all your support as I work all this out!