PDA

View Full Version : Scales of War conversion

grapper
January 26th, 2015, 18:34
I've started converting the Scales of War adventure path into 5E for my group. I thought it might be of interest to other DMs, so I started a blog to muse about the process.

If anyone (except my players!) is interested they can take a look: https://5escalesofwar.wordpress.com/

Zacchaeus
January 27th, 2015, 21:35
An interesting read. I'm playing through the 4e trilogy Keep on the Shadowfell etc with my group and I'm encountering similar issues.

One thing I noted regarding your spreadsheet (Yes I did read everything) is that I think you have made a slight error in the xp calculation factors for groups outwith the 3-5 range. If you have a group of 6 players (which I have and so it seems do you) then the factor for computing encounter difficulty should be dropped by one level. In other words for a single monster the factor should be .5 instead of 1. So the columns in your lookup tables should read <3, 3-5 and >5 and the formula at G8 on the Encounter builder sheet should be:

=LOOKUP(G6,'lookup tables'!$A$25:$A$54,IF(B2<3,'lookup tables'!B25:B54,IF(B2<6,'lookup tables'!C25:C54,'lookup tables'!D25:D54)))

This should then provide the correct results. Unless of course I am completely misreading the DMG!

grapper
January 27th, 2015, 21:54
Doh, you are correct. I had the baseline set as a party of 4-6 players when the DMG says 3-5 players. I even had that in the table header name.

Thanks for the catch, now I can throw in even more monsters. :ninja: Although both groups are currently at 5, we do have some friends who might be joining in the future.

If you have any more comments or ideas, let me know.

grapper
February 19th, 2015, 15:18
Things are going well so far, I've created encounters, and custom monsters (when needed) for the first three adventures:

Levels 1&2: Rescue at Rivenroar
Level 3: Siege of Bordrin's Watch
Level 4: The Shadowrift of Umbraforge

The groups I run are both part way through Siege of Bordrin's Watch and everyone is having a great time. Here's hoping we make it through the entire adventure path. :)

cwainman
February 19th, 2015, 22:47
Thanks for this and keep up the great work! I am just starting to run a conversion as well and have been referencing your blog regularly.

Thegroo
February 20th, 2015, 18:27
Thank you very much for sharing this. Great work.

grapper
February 20th, 2015, 19:27
Thanks for the encouragement, I'm glad to see that someone is getting usefulness from it. I'm winging this as much as the next person, so any corrections or suggestions are welcome.

I'm starting work on The Lost Mines of Karak this weekend, but it may be a while before I get another post up.

cwainman
February 20th, 2015, 19:52
I've been debating skipping The Lost Mines adventure based on feedback I've read. Plus it is mentioned in the wiki that it could be skipped w/o affecting the overall AP. I haven't decided yet. But I just finished running the beginning of Rivenroar and it went well. It was also my groups' fist night using Fantasy Grounds and the 5E rules. Everyone seemed to enjoy both. So it was an exciting night.

grapper
February 28th, 2015, 20:55
Posts are up for the Lost Mines of Karak!

grapper
April 14th, 2015, 02:13
Den of the Destroyer conversion is done!

Thegroo
April 14th, 2015, 10:07
Thank you again

Zacchaeus
April 14th, 2015, 11:17
This is nice work, grapper. Well done.

grapper
June 30th, 2015, 02:04
I forgot to post a notice when I finished The Temple Between last month, so that is there. In addition, I just finished Beyond the Mottled Tower.

I skipped Fist of Mourning.

RyckyRych
July 26th, 2015, 21:24
I forgot to post a notice when I finished The Temple Between last month, so that is there. In addition, I just finished Beyond the Mottled Tower.

I skipped Fist of Mourning.

Any updates recently?

grapper
October 24th, 2015, 16:20
Sorry for the delays, but I finally have Haven of the Bitter Glass complete. I have not abandoned this, its just that I'm doing the conversions as my group advances and we had a few delays in the last couple months. Also, as the adventures get longer it takes longer to run through them.

grapper
November 6th, 2015, 23:46
I was on a roll, so I finished up Alliance at Nefelus as well. There may be a bit of a gap before I move on to Throne of the Stone-Skinned King.

Thegroo
November 7th, 2015, 00:32
And thanks again.
Great work

grapper
December 11th, 2015, 00:11
Added Throne of the Stone Skinned King. I'm now past the half-way mark! :)

grapper
April 27th, 2016, 01:46
After a long delay, I have Garaitha's Anvil complete. Just in time for my group to start, whew.

grapper
September 24th, 2016, 21:04
After a summer hiatus, A Tyranny of Souls is now complete!

JohnD
September 25th, 2016, 13:13
It's a good thing to take some time away imo... helps prevent burn out and brings you back invigorated.

Thegroo
September 26th, 2016, 01:31
Thank you again for your great work.
I'm watching the campaign on youtube. Great campaign and great DM:cool:

Thegroo
September 26th, 2016, 01:32
double post