PDA

View Full Version : Add The Ability To Play Music

ReikaMichiko
January 26th, 2015, 15:04
Hello Team,

After running a few games with a new group on this system (which I have been using for a while now because its amazing), I have found they really enjoy when I add soundtracks to their fights or when they travel. In fact most RPGs are remembered by their great musical scores.

I was wondering if there is any possibility of integrating a system not unlike the image share for soundtracks, so that we could drag and drop them into an archive and play them for everyone on that server/game?

Hope you will consider it,
Reika

Mask_of_winter
January 26th, 2015, 15:21
I agree that music enhance a role-play experience greatly.

However, you have to keep in mind the bandwidth. I try to stream music as much as possible when I run my games. I have set up a stream through a shoutcast server and it works well. I know it's possible to do it on TeamSpeak with a virtual cable as well. There's a thread about it somewhere.

Integrating a streaming music feature to FG would mean pulling away resources from a three man team away from the virtual table development and maintenance. Providing a stable, bug-free music streaming feature isn't an easy task. Same reason why Smiteworks decided not to provide VOIP through FG. There are other apps that can do that very well.

Trenloe
January 26th, 2015, 15:41
Music Streaming is in the FG wishlist - vote for it here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Nickademus
January 26th, 2015, 17:14
I would personally prefer a GM not stream music. I, as a player, would like to have the option of whether to use the bandwidth or not. I have seen other GMs feed music through a separate login of Team Speak, which is good as it lets the player set the music volume.

What I do when I GM is setup a playlist on website like Grooveshark and then link the playlist at the beginning of the session. The players that wish to use the bandwidth for music can click on the link and turn the playlist on. Those that don't, won't.

Mask_of_winter
January 27th, 2015, 00:04
That's how I do it too. I share the link. Those who want to listen to it do and can adjust the volume. Those who don't care for music or want to listen to their own just ignore the link.

ReikaMichiko
January 27th, 2015, 01:07
I would personally prefer a GM not stream music. I, as a player, would like to have the option of whether to use the bandwidth or not. I have seen other GMs feed music through a separate login of Team Speak, which is good as it lets the player set the music volume.

What I do when I GM is setup a playlist on website like Grooveshark and then link the playlist at the beginning of the session. The players that wish to use the bandwidth for music can click on the link and turn the playlist on. Those that don't, won't.

I'll have to try that.. can you control when stuff plays or not?

Nickademus
January 27th, 2015, 01:10
Not directly, but it isn't too much of an interruption to suggest a particular song for a certain encounter. It helps to alphabetize the list or to know where on the list the particular song is.