PDA

View Full Version : I'm Fed up with Notepad++

Doswelk
January 24th, 2015, 20:40
If I change a tab with the xml code folded the whole program hangs for about 10-15 mins it rather affects my productivity... :mad:

What editors do other people use these days?

ddavison
January 24th, 2015, 20:47
I've noticed some delays with Notepad++ as well when you deal with large xml files. When replacing xml tags, there are times when I actually found it easier to type the text in a separate window, copy it and then highlight and replace instead of re-typing it by hand. There might be an option to change how frequently it re-validates the xml. I think the problem for me was that it was re-validating after every keystroke when I changed the parent of a large sub-tree.

Nylanfs
January 24th, 2015, 21:26
I like jEdit personally.

Valarian
January 24th, 2015, 21:35
I also use JEdit. You can select the plugins you want to use, like the XML and XSLT plugins.

damned
January 24th, 2015, 23:10
Doswelk - im not experiencing anything like that and I seem to have a dozen or more tabs open at all times....
How big is the file?
Is it recent behaviour?

Nickademus
January 25th, 2015, 01:51
I doubt I do things the most efficient way since I mostly just play at being a developer here, but I found it necessary to split my files up into multiple xml files to reduce the amount of code and then copy+paste the section into the main file. The paste action doesn't seem to cause a hangup in Notepad++. Then again, my files have easy break points (lists, reference section, spell description section) so this is viable.

I'm not sure what you are using N++ for or how your files are structured, but this may be an option for you if you continue to use Notepad++.

Trenloe
January 25th, 2015, 06:05
I don't have "Enable XML syntax auto-check" enabled. I use the one off "Check XML syntax now" when I want to check if the XML format is OK. I don't know if that will make any difference to your problem, but I haven't seen the issue you're having with these settings.

Nickademus
January 25th, 2015, 06:15
I do not have Enable XML syntax auto-check enabled either and I see the program freeze when switch to a tab that has over ~20k lines of code. I do not experience this when typing, deleting, pasting, or any other interaction in the code. I don't experience this when loading the file (and have actually gotten in the habit of closing a big file, checking another one, and reloading the first because it doesn't freeze as it does when switching tabs).

AstaSyneri
January 25th, 2015, 10:45
I haven't had any problems with Notepad++ yet. I usually have several tabs open - Doswelk's example for the HOE modules plus my own and it worked like a charm, even with the largish files I have handled (All for One is not that huge of a module, though).

Mellock
January 25th, 2015, 11:12
Sublime Text, mostly.

Andraax
January 25th, 2015, 14:30
vi (gvim, usually)

ddavison
January 25th, 2015, 14:56
I wonder if the problem is related to a version of N++. I'm running 6.1.3 and have experienced issues with large xml files. I'll try updating to see if that works. Also, I must have been using the build-in support for XML since I didn't have the options Trenloe mentioned until after I installed the XML Tools plugin.

unerwünscht
January 26th, 2015, 05:07
I use a program called EditPlus. It is more than worth the $30 I payed for it.
https://www.editplus.com/

Oberoten
January 26th, 2015, 10:57
Weird, any unusual plugins on it? I edit some pretty dang big files on mine and have seen no slowdowns despite what is generally "The whole damn ruleset opened in different tabs"

- Obe

Nickademus
January 26th, 2015, 16:58
I'm curious what people are considering big and small files. I work more on modules than rulesets. Where I find rulesets are broken up into multiple files, a library modules is usually one big xml file.

To throw some numbers out here of what I consider a big file (and see issues when tabbing to):
PFSRD Complete Spells is 17k lines
PFSRD Complete Magic Items is 32k lines
PF Bestiary 1 is 20k lines
Chronic Equipment is 69k lines
Chronic Races is 19k lines
Chronic Classes is 39k lines

It might also be worth noting that Doswlek mentioned having sections folded, or collapsed. I always have something folded when working on a file. There may not be a problem if you don't.

Moon Wizard
January 26th, 2015, 18:02
I've noticed that the times that I've found that it hangs are related to when I toggle between apps or replace tags when using the expand/collapse feature. If I expand all tags before I toggle away, it doesn't hang. Definitely a minor annoyance I've come across while using Notepad++.

Cheers,
JPG

S Ferguson
February 3rd, 2015, 18:20
I've been using Liquid XML Studio 2011 as my XML editor of choice, since, well, 2011, and have absolutely no problem with hang-ups or freezes, regardless of file size, expansions or collapsing. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it's still being sold. If it is, grab it. It's got all the features you need from notepad++ (and more) and it's much more stable, IMO.