PDA

View Full Version : Par5e and certain magic items

Zacchaeus
January 23rd, 2015, 17:18
So now that I've done the PHB I've turned my attention to the DMG and I started with magic items which Xorn assured me in his video was the easiest of all to input. Well, how wrong he is :)

I've got as far as Ammunition :)

It is very, very strange. The line which seems to be causing the problem is this:

Weapon (any ammunition),uncommon (+1), rare (+2), or
very rare (+3)

If I leave it exactly as shown with a line break after the 'or' then par5e parses it. Of course the rarity type ends at 'or' and the 'very rare (+3) is stranded on the first line of the description. If I remove the 'very rare' or join it onto the 'or', par5e does not like it one little bit and won't parse; it just stops at the Alchemy jug entry above it, and won't create the xml file. In fact if I alter the first line in any way at all, par5e just will not do anything.

Thinking that this might be a common problem I scrolled down and entered:

ARMOR, +1 , +2 , OR +3
Armor (light, medium, or heavy), rare (+1), very rare (+2), or legendary(+ 3)

This seems to parse fine, except that the description stops at Armor and the light, medium etc appears on the first line of the description.

Looking again at Xorn's video and at the Par5e user guide I see that everything is based on the free DMG published as a PDF, which for these items had different description tags. I'm wondering if Par5e just can't cope with the new format in the now published book, or whether I am doing something terribly wrong?

Treegreen
January 24th, 2015, 04:19
If I were to wager a guess it's because it has multiple items in one. PAR5E likely wants it as:

Ammo +1
Weapon (any ammunition), uncommon

Ammo +2
Weapon (any ammunition), rare

Ammo + 3
Weapon (any ammunition), legendary

and so forth. So, for the time being you may try splitting them out individually and seeing if they'll work.

Zacchaeus
January 24th, 2015, 10:24
Indeed, this is the solution that I finally went with. I thought I'd post the 'problem' though since it was highly unusual.
Also it gave me the chance to gently rib Xorn :)

Olodrin
January 24th, 2015, 14:02
Also, just to head this one off at the pass, you won't be able to parse the rods. Z is working on a fix.

Treegreen
January 24th, 2015, 20:04
Also, just to head this one off at the pass, you won't be able to parse the rods. Z is working on a fix.

At least not without changing the Rod call. Easiest way to get around it for now is to just change their category, e.g.:

Rod of Absorption
Wondrous item, very rare (requires attunement)

Or

Rod of the Pact Keeper +1
Weapon (rod), uncommon (requires attunement by a warlock)

Zacchaeus
January 24th, 2015, 20:34
Oh, jolly good heads up. I've actually given up on the magic items for the moment thinking I'd do the monsters as some light relief. By, George they're hard work. Nothing to do with Par5e so much but the pasting from the PDF is awful requiring a bunch of reformatting and stuff ( although it did take me 3 hours to track down why the second monster I put in wouldn't parse - there was no space between the '20' and 'ft' for the speed :( )