PDA

View Full Version : New 5e monster book

hawkwind
January 23rd, 2015, 07:37
https://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?2270-Fifth-Edition-Foes-Monster-Book#.VMH5mPmqnTM

and its released under the OGL so it just needs a few brave souls to parse it.....

this link has a table of contents, the OGL open content details and a few example stat blocks which are close but not identical to the monster manual

Zacchaeus
January 23rd, 2015, 13:11
I don't see anything in that link that shows how we can buy this. Is it only available to people who contributed to the kickstarter?

hawkwind
January 23rd, 2015, 13:46
well i did kick starter it but this link should be good https://froggodgames.com/fifth-edition-foes

Zacchaeus
January 23rd, 2015, 15:07
Ah, jolly good. Marked my calendar to get that in April :)

hawkwind
January 23rd, 2015, 16:06
Ah, jolly good. Marked my calendar to get that in April :)
if you pre order the book you get a pdf now

hawkwind
January 23rd, 2015, 16:08
and having looked at it, i can say its very good, Its going to be of immense help in my conversion of The Lost caves of Tsojcanth

Treegreen
January 24th, 2015, 04:23
As a minor point it does stat blocks and such differently from the 5e Monster Manual. So, if you do PAR5E it you will need to make sure to order things correctly. They also have a number of monsters that "resist spells and spell-like effects." Intuitively it makes sense, but I don't believe the 5e ruleset differentiates between melee attacks or spell attacks. I basically just decided in these cases to list resistances as (RESISTANCE: acid, cold, fire, force, lightning, necrotic, poison, psychic, radiant, thunder) so spell attacks will automatically be taken care of. I figure those will happen a lot more often than a player legitimately lighting a piece of wood on fire and using it as an improvised weapon to deal both bludgeoning and fire damage that is not from a spell attack.

El Condoro
January 30th, 2015, 13:24
A paladin's Divine Smite is radiant damage - there might be other exceptions, too, but your approach will cover most spells and spell-like effects. Unless it's ruled as a spell-like ability because it expends a spell slot?

Treegreen
January 30th, 2015, 16:01
A paladin's Divine Smite is radiant damage - there might be other exceptions, too, but your approach will cover most spells and spell-like effects. Unless it's ruled as a spell-like ability because it expends a spell slot?

Well, that's the conundrum. I suppose if we want an official ruling on it we'll have to ask Steve Winter on twitter or something.