PDA

View Full Version : The Savage Worlds Multi-GM Apocalypse?

AstaSyneri
January 22nd, 2015, 12:28
Hi!

Just a weird idea tumbling around in my head...

FG always needs exposure for people to try (and eventually buy it). Of course this idea unfairly puts a bit of work on the shoulders of the GM community, but aren't we always the ones paying?

Here is the idea:

On a specific weekend (possibly within the confines of the next FG Con) a group of GMs offers an open roleplaying session where people can drop in at any time, in different sessions, maybe even tiered ("congratulations, you made it into the city, please continue with GM XZY now"). The idea is to have huge fun while mercilessly killing characters and showing them the system.

As a reward Doug could dangle a Full FG license + a setting (?) in front of the "winner's" nose - the first who sets off the nuclear explosion in the Walking Stick corporation's secret underground lab and thus eradicates all the zombie-infested state of West Atlantica.

Does this outline resonate with anybody?

Mask_of_winter
January 22nd, 2015, 13:50
As far as open table games go The Society of Extraordinary Gamers run several of these every week already. These games are available to any member. Membership is free.

As for the idea of rotating GMs running what is essentially a tournament fun idea on paper. In practice it's a different thing altogether. Some GMs are more merciless than others. To be fair, they would need refereed. Who's going to do that? Who will organize this. And also, and this is a personal gaming philosophy of mine that I'm sure other gamers won't agree with; RPGs aren't a competition. The objective is not to win. To me it's an escape, a social event meant to have fun.

Now if others could have fun with this by all means proceed. But I personally wouldn't support this.

AstaSyneri
January 22nd, 2015, 14:03
As for the idea of rotating GMs running what is essentially a tournament fun idea on paper. In practice it's a different thing altogether. Some GMs are more merciless than others. To be fair, they would need refereed. Who's going to do that? Who will organize this. And also, and this is a personal gaming philosophy of mine that I'm sure other gamers won't agree with; RPGs aren't a competition. The objective is not to win. To me it's an escape, a social event meant to have fun.

True. The "win condition" would only be needed if there were any prizes. There might be other suitable ways to distribute any prizes (a raffle for example).

IMHO the true challenge would be to come up with an "adventure" that could be play with 1+ GMs either simultaneously or at different times, while still contributing to the same story. I haven't yet found the grand idea nor a really feasible way to coordinate this, but these things tickle my fancy every once in a while. Something you can't do in your home campaign. Something epic.

Apart from different survivor groups in the zombie apocalypse it could be different squads of Colonial Marines on a bug hunt (yeah, we know how that ends). Or groups from Monster Hunters International (https://www.goodreads.com/series/45313-monster-hunter-international). I am sure you could come up with something else.

Consider this a brainstorm, if you will.