PDA

View Full Version : Is there a parser for library modules for GURPS 4e?

The Scriven One
January 22nd, 2015, 04:07
Hey everyone. I have a group that typically plays GURPS, but is letting me run a D&D 5e game for a while. They like Fantasy Grounds, but aren't sure if they want to keep using it for GURPS. The GURPS GM feels like if he and the rest of the group would have to do a lot of things manually, they might as well stick with Roll20, which is what they've all been using.

I feel like if there were library modules like the ones in the D&D 5e ruleset (and others), where it was possible to drag and drop advantages, disadvantages, etc, it might win them over. Is there such a thing? I haven't been able to find anything in my searches. Thanks in advance.

Trenloe
January 22nd, 2015, 05:10
There aren't any GURPS library modules publicly available as this would be a breach of copyright for the products in question. In theory you could have just the title of advantages/disadvantages with the description being only the page reference to the GURPS publication for more info. This is usually OK as far as copyright goes, but as Steve Jackson Games is very anti any automation of GURPS at all then making these drag/drop might be an issue.

I'm not aware of there being a parser similar to PAR5E for GURPS products. Unfortunately, the GURPS ruleset has been around for a while and doesn't use the same library data structure as 5E and so PAR5E can't be used for GURPS.

There are filters to help with importing characters made in GCA into FG, available here: https://enhanced.vlexofree.com/

The Scriven One
January 22nd, 2015, 08:08
Thank you. I just want to note that I wasn't asking whether library modules existed in order to get ahold of them directly, moreso wondering if the problem was solvable. I guess without a parser it's not, really (at least for someone like me, who currently has no coding skill). I'll try to import some characters from GCA and see how effective it is for the needs of the group. Thanks for your help.