PDA

View Full Version : Question about Ultimate Account

Roehrboc
January 20th, 2015, 22:07
I've had a fairly consistent group of friends that I play D&D with, but recently we've been separated geographically. I am interested in using this as our system, but I was hoping a veteran could help me with a few questions.

We want to get a Ultimate Account so that we can potentially get more members as we go on without them paying $40 to join (it's also a bit cheaper than the 5 of us getting individual accounts). However, there are several of us that take turns as the DM. The FAQ makes it sound like we could install an Ultimate Account on each of our computers using the same code, but obviously we couldn't all use it at the same time. Is it possible to install both the free and ultimate versions at the same time in order to allow the Gm to load up the Ultimate Version while the players load up the free version.

Thanks. Also, if this is against the rules for some reason, just let me know and I'll disregard the idea and just go with a different program.

Trenloe
January 20th, 2015, 22:26
The Ultimate license is for the use of one user only, you can't transfer an ultimate license to another user. Therefore, if you are likely to have different GMs it will be best for your group to get full licenses. This will, as you mention, mean that any new members will need to also get a full license in order to play.

You can reduce the cost of getting a bunch of full licenses a little if you buy the "Fantasy Grounds Four Pack" through steam (4 for the price of 3): https://store.steampowered.com/app/252690/ The application is exactly the same, you won't be losing any functionality by purchasing through Steam.

Nylanfs
January 21st, 2015, 01:57
Also note that the Full license allows one (1) demo license to connect and play.

damned
January 21st, 2015, 02:01
Also note that the Full license allows one (1) demo license to connect and play.

But it switches the game to demo mode and kicks the licensed users.... iirc....

4 Packs are a really good way to save some money.

JohnD
January 21st, 2015, 02:03
If you want features and functionality, FG is your best option. You know how many hours your group spends gaming... $40 spread out over that is nothing.

ddavison
January 21st, 2015, 02:12
How often do you switch DMs? The Ultimate subscription might be your best option and is just $9.99/mo. When you need to have another user switch to be the GM, you could cancel one subscription and have the next GM start a subscription. There may be times when you both need access to the campaign creation at the same time, so one user might start their Ultimate subscription a week in advance so they can prep the next campaign. When you cancel a subscription, you don't lose anything you've created. If you later re-subscribe, you'll get a new Ultimate key that will reinstall the Ultimate version of the program and then all of your creations will become fully available again. You can also export and copy your creations from one DM to another if necessary.

If you alternate sessions, then perhaps it is better still just for people to get the $3.99 subscription each. You can each create and build campaigns offline whenever you have free time and then act as players whenever needed.

All of the paid licenses come with some fantasy portraits, a handful of battlemaps and several hundred tokens. You can use these with another VTT if you ever leave the FG community. They are stored in .mod and .por files, but you can extract them using any zip program.

Trenloe
January 21st, 2015, 02:36
But it switches the game to demo mode and kicks the licensed users.... iirc....
One free user connecting to a full license GM puts the game in demo mode if no other users are connected at that time, otherwise their connection is refused. If a game has been put in demo mode (one free user connecting) and any lite/full/ultimate licenses join the game the demo mode ends and the free license user is kicked off.

Roehrboc
January 21st, 2015, 03:41
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll discuss it with my group, but an unlimited subscription may be the best bet given the situation.