PDA

View Full Version : Basic magic items help

Loucifer
January 19th, 2015, 18:14
I am attempting to create a basic magic weapon and/or armor. (+1 battleaxe, +1 chainmail, etc. ) It seems that Pathfinder doesnt have those kind of item listings, and the 3.5e rules have a basic template, but, im still not sure if what I'm making will work.

I ran across a very old post mentioning that for a weapon, you just add a 1 to the bonus field.
Then I ran across a video specifying that you need to use specific language in the enhancement field, i.e. "attack rolls and damage rolls" for it to work properly.

I have attempted to make one by dragging the item from the equipment list to the item page, and then modifying it. Although, trying to do this with arrows makes a few more questions, as to how to get them to work with the bow, etc.

Does anyone have a screenshot of, or even an exported item, that I could look at for an example?

I have attached an example of what i have done, any help would be appreciated.

Trenloe
January 19th, 2015, 18:21
See this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22860-Weapon-and-Armor-creation

Also, don't change the bonus field once the item is in the inventory - it won't apply any adjustments, this field is only examined when an item is dragged to the character sheet, not after. I think the "attack rolls and damage rolls" language you mention is for the 5E ruleset not the 3.5E ruleset. The instructions in the thread linked above should work for you.

Nylanfs
January 19th, 2015, 19:15
The basic Pathfinder sets do not have the base +1 modifications, you have to load the 35e set for those. Unless I have been missing them all this time.

Loucifer
January 19th, 2015, 19:22
Thanks Trenloe.

wonder why that didnt show up using my search-fu. LOL

Nylanfs, yeah..the basic magic item in that screenshot is taken from the 3.5e magic item lists, like you, I couldn't find anything so basic in the PF item lists :)

Nickademus
January 19th, 2015, 19:37
The basic Pathfinder sets do not have the base +1 modifications, you have to load the 35e set for those. Unless I have been missing them all this time.

There is no Pathfinder ruleset. The choice of PFRPG uses the 3.5e ruleset with an additional data file. So anything in the 3.5e ruleset is there when you load a Pathfinder game (unless that data file changes it).

I also recommend using parsels for storing items, as a new item entry is created in the campaign for each item that is added. This way you don't have your item list cluttered with a bunch of +1 gear. Once the item is in a parcel, set the Bonus field to 1 to make it a +1 weapon/armor. When you add the parcel to the party treasure section and it is then assigned to a player, the player's character sheet will parse the bonus to add 1 to the attack modifier, 1 to the damage modifier and 'magic' as a damage type.

Trenloe
January 20th, 2015, 02:10
There is no Pathfinder ruleset.
Essentially correct, but the post in question was referring to the Pathfinder Magic Items module not having the base +1 magic item entries, whereas the 3.5E Magic Items module does. Of course, you can open the 3.5E Magic Items module, but most people won't and just open the Pathfinder Magic Items module.

Nickademus
January 20th, 2015, 02:23
Ah I see. Thought we were talking about the rule 'set'. So it's a module problem. Who makes those anyway. Better get on it! *hides*