PDA

View Full Version : Going to try hosting games.

Judgement
January 19th, 2015, 01:06
As many know around here and new to the community and fancy grounds itself, However I've played a few solo modules and one campaign So far. I'll be Learning how to run a game is a GM and work on a few fan base Campaigns or Star Wars: Age of Rebellion. Edge of the Empire. Force and Destiny. While I am working on learning the basics and more bands controls on the GM side, I'll be slowly add enough tokens for each of these games I will put up a poll to see which tokens people want and the game first. For the time being please have patience and I'll try to make updates as needed.

(edited)
For those of you don't already know, there is a will set and library being made by another community member is extreme and I believe is just updated it to version 2 not to long ago. Here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24151-May-the-4th-Be-With-You!)

CrimsonCrust
January 19th, 2015, 01:09
I am confused by your post.

Are you saying you need players for games you will be DMing and those are the systems you will be running?

If so what times and days and what systems on those days and times?

Judgement
January 19th, 2015, 01:22
In fact, it is rather both, I plan on recruiting people eventually for the games. However, right now I am currently learning each of the rule sets for the games and how to properly GM them. If people choose to give a heads up that they would like to join a certain game when I post them. I will gladly accept that

damned
January 19th, 2015, 02:20
Take the plunge Judgement.
Let the players know your new at GMing on Fantasy Grounds and to have some patience.
With luck you might grab an experienced player or two and they will be able to assist you with some of the hiccups you experience.

Another really good top I have seen is -
start small, start with what you know how to do. eg - dont know how to write an Effect? dont - just manually track it until you get your head around other things. Start with a group of 3 or 4 players and feel your way thru the first couple of sessions.

Ardem
January 19th, 2015, 02:40
Learning to Host is very easy, especially if you have it on Steam, there is nothing you need to do. Just provide players with your Ip or the 4 word alias, I prefer the alias as I do not have to keep giving out my ever changing IP.

I am assuming you are not new to GMing, so take the next lot with a grain of salt.

Learning to GM is also easy, but learning to be a good GM just takes practice, also the more sessions you involved with the better your GMing will become.

My advice even if you cannot play in a session then ask another GM if you can sit and listen to a session. I learnt from other GMs here that have enhanced my ability to GM, some of the tricks and using FG to it fullest has allowed me to be better at it.

GunnarGreybeard
January 19th, 2015, 05:44
Learning to GM is also easy, but learning to be a good GM just takes practice, also the more sessions you involved with the better your GMing will become.
I would also add that GM'ing is a perishable skill so if it's been a while, it can take time to get back up to speed.

JohnD
January 19th, 2015, 06:01
Start small... 2 or 3 people max, who know you're going to need to go slow to figure things out.

Also, connect to yourself with a second instance of FG to see what a player does when you do your GM stuff.

Mask_of_winter
January 19th, 2015, 07:08
And don't forget to sacrifice a goat to the gods before each game. Best advice you're ever going to get.

damned
January 19th, 2015, 08:19
And don't forget to sacrifice a goat to the gods before each game. Best advice you're ever going to get.

but dont leave it all for the gods. they dont usually eat much. get some good indian curries going with that goat.

Ardem
January 19th, 2015, 13:15
I would also add that GM'ing is a perishable skill so if it's been a while, it can take time to get back up to speed.

I totally agree with this. Also you get some good days and some bad.
Remember the 5 P's
Preparation prevents piss poor performance

jh79
January 19th, 2015, 15:03
I totally agree with this. Also you get some good days and some bad.
Remember the 5 P's
Preparation prevents piss poor performance

I agree with the preparation comment wholeheartedly, it does take a decent amount of work and commitment though. In Fantasy Grounds learn the story button to input the story, linking things, setting up encounters with the encounter button, have nice pictures for immersion and link them in the story button, setup treasure parcels. Lots of videos on this stuff.

I've also found in my own experience that prepping the game makes it run very smooth and everyone has fun. Waiting 10 minutes for the DM to pull out encounters that he just pulled out of thin air is not enjoyable in my opinion. I agree with the start off small comment also.

Also engaging the players in an immersive story-telling way is vital, and imo takes practice, so hang in there with that one. I quickly get bored with what I call "battleship combat", you hit..., you miss... If you learn to describe what the players see and the combat, it will breath life into your world. Good luck with your campaigns.

Judgement
January 20th, 2015, 15:37
I will be workig on how to handle the games if people want to come in and see how things are going they can do so keep in mind I am new to the these things any and all help is welcomed.

testing things the alias is: bold dice good luck

Judgement
January 22nd, 2015, 21:00
should anyone want to come in and see how things are going, I will have it up in about a hour from now.

Judgement
March 2nd, 2015, 00:59
Hello once again I do apologize for the delay on current updates but I haven't taken some time to further work out Star Wars FF games, I wanted more time to work on it so I can better handle the system here and I believe I'm getting there. Have a number of the Star Wars FF books on the way to me once I have them in less than a day or two reading each one I'll begin opening up the campaigns. Age of rebellion, edge of the Empire, force and destiny, ((I also a fan base one Knights of the Old Republic))

Judgement
March 2nd, 2015, 01:01
On a side note, I have been speaking to someone about making tokens who does some professionally "the top view ones" and when I can scrounge up enough money I will try to get some as I go for players to use for a better immersion

Vgamer
March 2nd, 2015, 01:32
These Star Wars games, and the core books you're referring to have a really unique dice set with symbols on them, not numbered dice like the d20 dice in FG, and a lot of times you have to roll 5+ of these symboled dice at the same time.

How are you going to play the official game without the symbol dice? short of doing some kind of in-game complicated hack conversion system? I don't even think you can change out the d20 dice by building your own full blown rule set...So you wouldn't be playing the actual core rules of Star Wars at all from those books like suggested. :confused:

Mask_of_winter
March 2nd, 2015, 01:37
You mean this? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Ruleset:_Star_Wars:_Edge_of_the_Empire

Judgement
March 2nd, 2015, 01:43
Yes, those ones. the same with others like it.

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2015, 03:33
You mean this? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Ruleset:_Star_Wars:_Edge_of_the_Empire
All of that hard work and people don't know it's out there... :(

Judgement
March 2nd, 2015, 04:07
That is the ruleset and modules I am using, however I was added onto it so there is more when the game came around. at least with missions and npcs.

Judgement
March 2nd, 2015, 06:42
(EDITED) Here are the tokens I plan on getting for the games AoR EotE FaD, or any suggestions for tokens, fan base campaigns, or any other entries please share.

(made) Trandoshan: Force Sensitive Hunter.

(made) Token: Stormtrooper Heavy

- Stormtrooper Soldier
- Stormtrooper Scout
- Imperial officer
- Medic droid
- Maintenance Droid
- Astromech Droids
- Security Droid
- Outlaw (Rodian)
- Spice Dealer (Zabrak)
- Engineer (Mon Calamari, Sluissi)
- Gladiator (Wookiee)
- Bounty Hunter (Mandalorian)
- Mandalorian Scout
- Mandalorian Heavy
- Mandalorian Battlemaster
- Rebel Soldier. (Human, Bith)
- Rebel Scout. (Human, Falleen, Gran)
- Rebel Heavy.
- Rebel Officer.
- Force Sensitive Assassin.
- Sith Acolyte (human)
- Sith lord (human)
- Jedi padawan (Human-Twi'lek-
- Jedi (human)
- Jedi Master
- Dancer (Twi'lek female)
- Gunslinger (Cathar)
- Tusken Raiders
- Hutt.

(made) Token: Beast: Womp Rat.

- Akk Dog
- Acklay
- Asyyyriak
- Bantha
- Boma
- Borcatu
- Dewback
- Duracrete Slug
- Fynock
- Galoomps
- Ganjuko
- Gizka
- Gorg
- Hssiss
- Kath hound
- K'lor Slugs
- Krayt Dragon
- Lava flea
- Mynock
- Nerf
- Nexu
- Rakghoul
- Rancor
- Reek
- Rock Worrts
- Scurrier
- Scyk
- Shaak
- Wampa

Judgement
March 2nd, 2015, 06:42
(EDITED) On a side note as well I am working on having a few maps commissioned between each set, when I save up the money for them. Please do not think this is going to be fast this will likely take months if not to sometime next year to complete.

Vgamer
March 2nd, 2015, 08:42
Ya, no clue there are as a ruleset, does this have all the symbol dice? Or regular dice that you have to convert every time from the symbols dice? If it's a conversion, then that would be way to much of a hassle for every roll imo...If it has the symbol dice I will dl and use it immediately.

Mask_of_winter
March 2nd, 2015, 08:52
https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/SW2.jpg

Vgamer
March 2nd, 2015, 09:55
That looks good and I see the symbol dice, ill be dl this for sure. GJ

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2015, 15:00
That looks good and I see the symbol dice, ill be dl this for sure. GJ
Check the ruleset thread out - there are screenshots and a couple of videos.

Vgamer
March 2nd, 2015, 15:39
You must mean this thread,
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20055-Star-Wars-Edge-of-the-Empire-FG-3-0
Will do.

jh79
March 3rd, 2015, 04:31
Trenloe, I signed up for your FG-Con Star Wars and I'm downloading your ruleset to see if I like this RPG as much as I think i'm going to, I love the Star Wars franchise. looks awesome by the way in the screenies.

I've never played SW but it looks like a REAL good time. I'm going to check out your videos and purchase the book, I guess they're several systems out there "sorry, complete noob here to Star Wars", but I'll get the system pertaining to your con if I'm accepted, you may just want experienced players? But I applied anyways just in case.

I noticed one of my D&D players is also in your FG-con game "Talen", so I may hit him up for gameplay details if it's cool with him, I'll talk to you more about that later Talen... I really look forward to trying this system out! the possibilities really seem limitless, going to go fiddle with it now...

Trenloe
March 3rd, 2015, 05:59
I've never played SW but it looks like a REAL good time. I'm going to check out your videos and purchase the book, I guess they're several systems out there "sorry, complete noob here to Star Wars", but I'll get the system pertaining to your con if I'm accepted, you may just want experienced players?
Nope, I'm not looking for experienced players. The session will be designed for beginners and experienced SW:EotE players alike. It's all about having a fun game and introducing people to the ruleset; so you're more than welcome. It's a pretty easy system to pickup, I'm always surprised how after a couple of dice rolls people get the hang of it. However, if you want to do some reading up on the system, the publishers (Fantasy Flight Games) have some quickstart rules on pages 4-12 of their intro scenario, download from their site here: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/18/ff/18ff8afe-bf19-47a3-97e5-a313ded3d6b3/under_a_black_sun_lores.pdf

Vgamer
March 7th, 2015, 02:34
As to what that I was talking about I was looking to add a numerous amount of NPC's for random encounters both RP and combat seekers, below I will add a small list as to what I am looking to add I'm searching for more information on what exactly I need to do it. I am evening speaking with a professional token designer in order to create a few of these.

Any and all suggestions on any NPCs that I should add these leave a comment below and I will try to do some research on and figure out what steps need to be for each one. And yes I will be removing all the movies and videogame references from the history's later on

Not sure what you got going on there, but you should check out these links, I think it's every Star Wars species complete with biology, appearance, pictures, histories, society, culture..ect, ect... Google is your friend ;)

https://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Essential_Guide_to_Alien_Species

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_species

Judgement
March 7th, 2015, 02:40
Not sure what you got going on there, but you should check out these links, I think it's every Star Wars species complete with biology, appearance, pictures, histories, society, culture..ect, ect... Google is your friend ;)

https://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Essential_Guide_to_Alien_Species

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_species

the states, skills and so on for the characters and npcs close enough to the rule books.

Vgamer
March 7th, 2015, 04:30
Ya... I'm not getting it, sorry, you got three full posts of what above? and you said close enough to the rule-books? so what you got is actually not accurate with the SW game? I must be missing something here in a big way, and I didn't learn anything from your last post. Maybe someone else knows and can explain what he has going on up there with all those stats? and why I should use them if they're not accurate? what is it for then?

Judgement
May 5th, 2015, 00:17
Thanks to Trenloe and his wonderful ingenuity we now have a whole set version 2 up and running as well as a new player library for edge of the Empire, is still recommended that you have the books and additional materials to have all available to have all of the right information ready for you and your game. By the end of this week I should have the first public set of the tokens ready and available thanks to the wonderful work of Devin (https://immortalnights.com/tokensite/).

To take a look at the tokens that will be available soon once said is complete go here (https://judementskiss.webs.com/tokens.htm).

Judgement
May 5th, 2015, 06:00
Ya... I'm not getting it, sorry, you got three full posts of what above? and you said close enough to the rule-books? so what you got is actually not accurate with the SW game? I must be missing something here in a big way, and I didn't learn anything from your last post. Maybe someone else knows and can explain what he has going on up there with all those stats? and why I should use them if they're not accurate? what is it for then?

I shall attempt to correct that as much as possible. list that I have provided is simply a matter of tokens that I have commissioned to be made I plan on purchasing public sets, so that fantasy ground Community can all use them for their games and I was attempting to acquire Ideas and suggestions to which tokens to attempt to get first.

I do apologize that the lists I have provided was unclear, I am doing this while I am working on the basic Controls and handling the game on the GM Side of things. Instead of just rushing off making a game That takes a longer time preparation rechecking Facts and notes during the game time, As well as working on Cliff notes I'm creating new fan base scenarios and campaigns.

Judgement
May 12th, 2015, 14:28
Hopeful around September I will have a game up and running for people to join!