PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Attack

Mistamichal
January 15th, 2015, 08:29
Hmmm... I could have sworn I'd seen this somewhere before but now I can't seem to find it.

How do I add Sneak Attack to my character sheet?

El Condoro
January 15th, 2015, 09:34
On the Actions tab, bottom right, Edit List, Add Power
Call it Sneak Attack, right-click and add a damage amount by dragging the 2d6 (or whatever) onto it, add damage type.
Click the red heart to apply the damage to the selected target. Enjoy the effect!

Mistamichal
January 15th, 2015, 10:10
Fantastic! Thanks buddy :)

Zacchaeus
January 17th, 2015, 11:58
Another way to do this: Add a power as El Condoro says above but instead of making it damage add it in as an affect. Right click and in the description add the following [Sneak Attack; DMG: 1d6] without the brackets. In targeting/expenditure change the target to Self and the Expend to On next roll. When making the sneak attack drag the effect onto your character before making the damage roll. When you make the damage roll this will add the extra damage to the roll. The benefit of using this method is that FG will use the damage type of the weapon when applying the sneak attack damage. This is useful if you are using different weapons which have different damage types. So your rogue could have a melee weapon doing slashing damage and a ranged weapon doing piercing damage. If you set up the sneak attack like El Condoro suggests then you will need to make sure that you add a line for each of the possible damage types otherwise the extra damage could be incorrect.

Mistamichal
January 17th, 2015, 12:36
Good one. Thanks for that.

El Condoro
January 17th, 2015, 23:06
Yeah, that's probably a good approach. My rogue only uses piercing weapons so the approach I use works every time.

pauljmendoza
January 21st, 2015, 09:59
That's great Zacchaeus!

Xorn
January 22nd, 2015, 14:42
Yeah, that's probably a good approach. My rogue only uses piercing weapons so the approach I use works every time.

The reason I prefer using an effect instead is because it's just one roll then, plus Criticals will correctly double the dice.

Griogre
January 22nd, 2015, 18:30
Resistances and vulnerability work right as well if you use an effect. However, I actually usually do both dice and an effect so if I do forget the apply the effect before rolling you can still just roll the dice to add the damage since crits and resistance/vulnerability are relatively rare.

Xorn
January 22nd, 2015, 22:46
I just tell my players to remember the effect next time. They've got to learn.

I'm joking. :)

Zacchaeus
January 23rd, 2015, 13:25
I just tell my players to remember the effect next time. They've got to learn.

Absolutely with you on this one :)

Also good spot on the resistance/critical thing; the effect wraps up everything in a nice neat bundle.

Larac
May 20th, 2015, 01:31
So Blade Ward would be,

resistance; bludgeoning; resistance; piercing; resistance; slashing
1 Round Self

correct?

on mobile so testing is harder, atm.

Perhaps a sticky just showing these and reminding folks about the add effect would be helpful to folks.
Be nice if Rogue populated it when selected but I understand the reason.

But a listing of here is Bless Effect, and how it was built could be nice.
The wiki is good for tech folks but examples are helpful to all.

Also noticed if self is selected but the char with effect is not on CT, Self Effect can be placed on another, do not think it is worth tracking down just a FYI.

Trenloe
May 20th, 2015, 01:34
So Blade Ward would be,

resistance; bludgeoning; resistance; piercing; resistance; slashing
1 Round Self
RESIST: bludgeoning; RESIST: piercing; RESIST: slashing;

Larac
May 20th, 2015, 01:58
ahh many thanks, almost got it

Larac
May 20th, 2015, 21:21
A few of the Wiki entries are wrong I think then.

Blade Ward [Spell] Blade Ward; RESIST: bludgeoning, piercing, slashing

Should be
Blade Ward [Spell] Blade Ward; RESIST: bludgeoning; RESIST: piercing; RESIST: slashing

Rage
Rage (Barbarian) Rage;ADVCHK:strength;ADVSAV:strength;DMG:2, melee;RESIST:bludgeoning,slashing,piercing;[SELF]

Should be
Rage (Barbarian) Rage;ADVCHK:strength;ADVSAV:strength;DMG:2, melee; RESIST: bludgeoning; RESIST: slashing; RESIST: piercing;[SELF]

Moon Wizard
May 21st, 2015, 02:28
"RESIST: bludgeoning,piercing,slashing" should work fine.

Is this not working for you? If so, can you give me example?
I just tried with Air Elemental dropped from MM.

Regards,
JPG

Larac
May 21st, 2015, 05:37
Will look again, copied Rage and the half damage was not working, but the plus 2 damage did as well as Advantage on Str. worked.

Perhaps I had another typo, when I did each with RESIST it worked.

Xorn
May 21st, 2015, 15:37
I do the resist from Rage as:

RESIST: bludgeoning, piercing, slashing, !magic

Works great.

Larac
May 21st, 2015, 23:44
Ok so I had another typo creep in it seems. Thought it was the format.
Sorry was just trying to help.

Xorn
Is there an errata on Rage? Did not see that Magic overcomes it in PHB.
Making sure I did not miss something.

Griogre
May 22nd, 2015, 19:58
Not Xorn, but "!magic" means the logical *not* magic so magic does overcome it. So the Resist above only resists non magical bludgeoning, piercing and slashing.

Larac
May 22nd, 2015, 22:47
Ok,

That is why I asked as the PHB, does not seem to say Magic overcomes Rage.
Was wondering if I missed an one liner else where.

El Condoro
May 22nd, 2015, 22:55
Yes, you're correct: rage resists damage types whether it comes from a magical weapon or a mundane source. "!magic" is used for resistances like that of some undead, such as a wight.

jamiefluk
July 23rd, 2015, 01:09
Sorry top revive a dead thread, but where do I right click after I have added the power to edit it?

Never mind, i got it, Didn't realize I was to but in Action Display!

Zacchaeus
July 23rd, 2015, 13:17
Old threads never die, they just fade away. See what I did there? :)

ffujita
October 20th, 2015, 02:09
Let me ask about how to create an effect for the Assassinate automatic critical damage when surprise is achieved.

Thanks!

<response> Okay, I will let you ask. </response>
<reply> Thanks! How would I create an effect for the Assassinate automatic critical damage when the target is surprised? </reply>

Oh, and now that I've tried it, I can't get the ADVATK effect (listed in the Wiki) to work either -- so an example for that would be wonderful as well.

whiteTiki
October 20th, 2015, 02:29
Let me ask about how to create an effect for the Assassinate automatic critical damage when surprise is achieved.

Thanks!

I don't really think you need an effect and I'll tell you why:

First lets get clear what "surprise" is:
To have a "Surprise" in 5th edition means that you successfully sneaked into an enemy's chamber or something AND you rolled initiative and came up higher than the enemy you're planning to attack AND the enemy's passive perception is lower than your STEALTH CHECK. If all that happens, then yes, you have surprised an enemy and we move to the next step.

By this time (3rd level) your Rogue would have already programed an effect for the Sneak Attack. Which should be something like:
Sneak Attack; DMG: 2d6; [ACTION]; [SELF] (change the sneak attack dice if more)

And because making a critical hit this way has a low probability of happening you can simply roll the damage as critical without creating an effect just for that. How to do this?

Left Mouse Click on the Effect called "Sneak Attack" one time (this will apply it to the character. must have the "[SELF]" property)
In your actions tab, were you have the weapon you're attacking with, hover your mouse over the Damage Dice
Hold Shift + Left Mouse Double Click and the damage will be rolled as Critical

So, as you can see, its so easy to make the critical damage that you don't even need to create such effect. Additionally if you're asking yourself, the answer is YES, the sneak attack damage also goes critical in this way. Maybe the reason this is so simple to do is the same reason why there's no effect to "make critical damage" as far as I know.

Zacchaeus
October 20th, 2015, 16:24
As whiteTiki saya there isn't an effect that will roll critical damage. As he says you can hold SHIFT whilst you roll damage and you will automatically do critical damage. You can also click the 'critical' button in the modifiers box and then roll damage as normal to make a critical damage roll.

As regards ADVATK: you just place this effect on the player (or NPC) who has advantage and then roll attack dice and it should work. Both the player and the target must have been dragged onto the Combat Tracker properly and the person getting the advantage must have targeted the target in order for the dice roll to work. (It will also work if the dice is drag/dropped onto the target either on the CT or on a map). No matter how you target the important thing is that both PC and target must have been placed on the CT properly.

Also you can simply use the ADV button at the bottom left of the screen to indicate to FG that the attack should be at advantage.

whiteTiki
October 20th, 2015, 18:51
If what you want is to have Advantage on your next roll or rolls (if it has duration) then you should use ADVATK.

Examples:

Use it to get advantage for the next roll and make the effect consume after the roll has been made:

Name of you Ability; ADVATK; [ACTION]; [SELF]

Use it to get advantage for the next roll and make the effect consume after specified time:

Name of you Ability; ADVATK; [SELF] (And you must use the Magnifying glass icon to edit the spell and the duration)

NOTE: On the other hand, you can substitute ADVATK for DISATK and get Disadvantage.

If what you want is to get advantage when you, someone in specific or everyone attacks a specific Target, then you should use GRANTADVATK

Examples:

Use it to grant advantage for the next roll and make the effect consume after the roll has been made:

Name of you Ability; GRANTADVATK; [ACTION] (anyone that tries to attack will have advantage)

Use it to grant advantage for the next roll and make the effect consume after specified time:

Name of you Ability; GRANTADVATK (anyone that tries to attack will have advantage), (And you must use the Magnifying glass icon to edit the spell and the duration)

Use it to grant advantage for the next roll and that applies JUST FOR CERTAIN CHARACTERS and also make the effect consume after the roll has been made to that specific target:

Name of you Ability; GRANTADVATK; [ACTION] (You must use the combat tracker, first apply the effect, then display the effects on the target from the combat tracker windows, last drag and drop target icon <A small target Icon that appears at the right of the effect description> to the character that will be able to "consume" the effect. <this will make the characters targeted the only ones that can trigger the effect>)

NOTE: On the other hand, you can substitute GRANTADVATK for GRANTDISATK and grant Disadvantage.

BTW: I think there should be a Keyboard shortcut to roll with advantage or disadvantage (just like the "holding shift" to roll a critical). These 2 features are used a lot. I know that there's a button in the bottom left corner for this, but I think it's still slow. Maybe a "hold CTRL+SHIFT" for Advantage and "CTRL+ALT" for disadvantage.

ffujita
October 20th, 2015, 19:02
Thanks to WhiteTiki for helping me out with that -- I got it to work, and it's definitely going to make the flow of the next session more fluid.

Zacchaeus
October 20th, 2015, 20:04
BTW:[/B] I think there should be a Keyboard shortcut to roll with advantage or disadvantage (just like the "holding shift" to roll a critical). These 2 features are used a lot. I know that there's a button in the bottom left corner for this, but I think it's still slow. Maybe a "hold CTRL+SHIFT" for Advantage and "CTRL+ALT" for disadvantage.

I believe that the reason for this not having a short-cut key is that keyboard short-cuts span a number of rulesets. Advantage and disadvantage is unique to 5e and if there were a shortcut it would give odd results in other rulesets, whereas critical damage is pretty much basic to every ruleset on the planet. However I could be wrong on this one.

Also in your example 3 above (and if I am understanding what your aim is) the targeting needs to be set to 'self'. You can also then SHIFT drag the effect onto the target as well as do the thing in the CT.

Moon Wizard
October 20th, 2015, 20:11
whiteTiki,

In addition to Zacchaeus's excellent guess, there are 2 other reasons.

One, I generally prefer visible UI features to hidden features (i.e. short cut keys specific to certain actions), since these are not friendly to the new or casual user.

Two, there's a conflict with the fact that the hot key bar uses the modifier keys to access additional hot key bar slots, and the combination of the two does not play well together. We already have issues with just the simple Shift key shortcuts and the hot key bar. The hot key bar is something that I'm hoping to redesign in the future, but no current plans.

Cheers,
JPG

whiteTiki
October 20th, 2015, 20:14
Hmmmm... So it's more complicated than I thought.
Maybe in Unity.

Thanks for the info!

Monkn
June 27th, 2016, 02:12
Magic used to bring a tread back form the abyss

So I tried using (Sneak Attack; DMG: 1d6) and it's not working.

Please I need help writing up the rogue sneak attack

El Condoro
June 27th, 2016, 06:16
See post #4 at the start of this thread. Basically, add an effect that applies DMG:1d6 (or whatever it is for the rogue's level) to SELF and expend on next [ROLL]. Then the damage will be added to the next roll (with its type determined by the weapon) as well as adjusted for a critical hit.

Klaumbaz
September 18th, 2016, 08:50
Ok, taking this to the next level, assassinate, if the conditions exist, grants advantage, and on hit grants critical.

effect: Assassinate; ADVATK; if(here's what i dont know, can't find) but If hit, then critical hit on next dmg roll.

your help is appreciated.

Zacchaeus
September 18th, 2016, 10:23
Hi, Klaumbaz, welcome to the community.

As you discovered in the other thread there isn't a way to do this with an effect. The IF: or IFT: statements test for things like alignment or size and some other conditions but they can't test for what the player has rolled or if a dice roll hits or a save succeeds or fails etc. The only method of dealing with this feature is as you have discovered in the other thread.

Evion
December 29th, 2016, 14:24
help :p ok so sneak attack seems to work on all attacks, this is a problem at lease for me, now sneak attack in 5th edition only works on the first attack hit, thats fine b/c that part works, 2: sneak attack is only works on advantage, this is where theres a problem it doesnt matter if i role with advantage or disadvantage it still rolls the SA damage, heres the other thing, 3: sneak attack only works with finesse or/and ranged weapons, i rolled attacks and damage with all types of weapons and SA rolls damage with all of them, so how can i code it to where it only rolls the SA DMG when its 1: a finesse weapon or ranged weapon, 2: only with advantage

El Condoro
December 29th, 2016, 20:45
If you add an effect as described above (posts #4 and #34):

a. Roll attack
b. If it hits AND it meets the criteria for SA (finesse or ranged weapon, with advantage or ally within 5 ft. etc.) apply the effect. This will apply the SA damage to the next roll.
c. Roll damage - the base damage will be done AND the SA damage with the correct damage type (piercing etc.) will be applied to the target. If it was a critical hit, the dice will be doubled.

Part b. cannot be fully automated - FG cannot know when an attack qualifies for SA damage.

Zacchaeus
December 29th, 2016, 21:42
help :p ok so sneak attack seems to work on all attacks, this is a problem at lease for me, now sneak attack in 5th edition only works on the first attack hit, thats fine b/c that part works, 2: sneak attack is only works on advantage, this is where theres a problem it doesnt matter if i role with advantage or disadvantage it still rolls the SA damage, heres the other thing, 3: sneak attack only works with finesse or/and ranged weapons, i rolled attacks and damage with all types of weapons and SA rolls damage with all of them, so how can i code it to where it only rolls the SA DMG when its 1: a finesse weapon or ranged weapon, 2: only with advantage

The important thing here is that the effect is only placed on the character after a successful attack roll hits. You should also set the Expend? to 'on next roll'. Thus the effect will only work when the player wants it to work and the effect will be removed once the damage roll is made and won't come back until it's placed on the character again.

As El Condoro says FG doesn't know what the conditions for the effect are or when to apply it. It's up to the player to utilize the benefit of the effect when it is possible to do so.

Halgabron
January 23rd, 2017, 14:09
Hi, I've been trying to add this effect for a rogue in the party & have followed the instructions but it doesn't appear to work as described... Am i missing something? Does the duration have any bearing on it working? Thanks.

Halgabron
January 23rd, 2017, 14:12
Is this right? 17578

Zacchaeus
January 23rd, 2017, 15:33
Yes

Halgabron
January 23rd, 2017, 23:15
Thanks Zacchaeus, I thought it seemed correct based on your instructions... doesn't seem to be working though.

I'll try it in my game this week, maybe with 'live' PC's it'll kick in.

Thanks again.

Zacchaeus
January 23rd, 2017, 23:35
It should work with or without live PC's. Make sure that the character and the NPC's are properly on the CT and that the NPC has been properly targeted. Place the effect on the PC and then roll damage from the action tab. The sneak attack damage should automatically kick in.

Halgabron
May 10th, 2017, 10:40
Hi Zacchaeus, as you say, 'Old threads never die'... still can't get the effect to work in the game - am I missing something? It's just not adding the sneak attack to the damage roll.

Nickademus
May 10th, 2017, 11:03
You'll have to provide screen shots of your attempts. Could be a targeting issue.

Gwydion
May 10th, 2017, 15:12
Is this right? 17578

I know this is going to kill you but.... the "D" in 4D6 needs to be lowercase and then it will work (it should be 4d6)... The cases are so important with effect coding!

Halgabron
May 10th, 2017, 17:06
Oh Gwydion... It does indeed now work! A genuine laugh out loud moment & damn you uppercase D.

Thanks as always to you all who contributed from the forum.

Halgabron

MJFargion
September 18th, 2017, 10:22
Just wondering.
Instead of creating an "effect", it is possible to "duplicate" the weapon usually used (es. the rapier) and modify the damage by adding, to the usual 1d8+bonus, another line with 1d6 (or more) dealt by the sneak attack.

That way, as soon as you know you are using the sneak attack ability, and hit, you can straight roll the appropriate damage (1d8 + bonus +2d6 or whatever).
By creating the second weapon, simply specify not to "carry" it (avoiding weight consequences.

Just an idea

Zacchaeus
September 18th, 2017, 11:19
Yes, you can do that but if you specify the weapon as not carried it won't appear in the actions tab when in combat mode. Additionally if your rogue uses many weapons you would need to create a duplicate for each one. Overall it's easier to use an effect, which applies the damage to the next roll and is then removed.

LordEntrails
September 18th, 2017, 15:57
The rogue in my party does it with weapon entries, ut as Z says, effects are probably better. But,both ways work.

poppy_thompson
September 19th, 2017, 18:32
If I am not mistaken (concerning the placement of the effect on the Action tab), you can open the description from the Abilities tab and then drag the 'shield' to the Action tab. It should place the 1st level version (1d6) of the effect in the powers section with all the proper syntax.

I can't verify this currently. I am at work. shhhhh.

Verified.

Akumashe
February 9th, 2018, 03:27
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_token2.lua"]:391: attempt to index field 'original' (a nil value)

Any ideas why I get this? (and the extra damage aint added so, whatever reason, its a deal breaking error)

Side note: the script actually does what it should...
but getting an error message pop up every time its used is a bit... irritating

Moon Wizard
February 9th, 2018, 05:02
Are you running any extensions? If so, please disable the extensions and try again.

If still an issue, please provide the steps to recreate the error.

Thanks,
JPG

Akumashe
February 9th, 2018, 09:54
Thanks for the quick reply, and sorrie I didnt update this, found out just before I colapsed in bed it indeed was due to an extension that wasnt updated of late, after removing it, everything works just fine. ;)

Heckspawn
March 19th, 2019, 20:53
Thanks for the tip Zacchaeus. :D

Fishypeanuts
June 26th, 2019, 06:13
If you have an example of this or a screenshot that would be valuable. I dont know how to add an effect. I see how to add damage. From the actions tab I see a magnifying glass which pops up a dialog saying "Weapon" with 2 sections ATTACK and DAMAGE. I have played with these some and can make them go more or less. I dont see effect.

When progression happens and various sneak attack modifiers come in to play, getting this right would be a big help.

Zacchaeus
June 26th, 2019, 09:09
Drag the sneak attack ability and drop it into the actions tab.

See also the Wiki here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

And these videos https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41478-Effects-Videos-for-5E

Note also that FG does not automatically level up the damage on sneak attack

Fishypeanuts
June 26th, 2019, 14:57
In watching the videos, the fundamental difference is that my star icon tries to add a spell rather than a power. I am working on a Ninja (created in PCGen).

I have tried various ways to drag and drop the Sneak Attack function on to the Actions tab. One of the challenges with this is that Sneak Attack is under the abilities tab and it won't shift over when I hover over the Actions tab. I also tried opening the mini-viewer so I could drag across which also wasn't received by the Actions tab. Finally, I tried digging through the Special Abilities and Classes chevrons and there is no Sneak Attack listed.

Basically, I am doing it all wrong.

Zacchaeus
June 26th, 2019, 15:07
In watching the videos, the fundamental difference is that my star icon tries to add a spell rather than a power. I am working on a Ninja (created in PCGen).

I have tried various ways to drag and drop the Sneak Attack function on to the Actions tab. One of the challenges with this is that Sneak Attack is under the abilities tab and it won't shift over when I hover over the Actions tab. I also tried opening the mini-viewer so I could drag across which also wasn't received by the Actions tab. Finally, I tried digging through the Special Abilities and Classes chevrons and there is no Sneak Attack listed.

Do this

Trenloe
June 26th, 2019, 15:46

You've posted about this in the 3.5E/PF and 5E forums - can you please clarify which RPG systems you're using? Thanks.

Fishypeanuts
June 26th, 2019, 15:58
I am trying to do this in Pathfinder. My guidance from Zacchaeus was coming from an example created in 5e.

I have attempted to upload a screenshot of the example character where it shows Add Spell Class rather than the Powers function I see in some of the examples.

Also, I tried dragging from the Sneak attack on the right to the Actions on the left and that didn't work.

Really appreciate the support!

Fishypeanuts
June 26th, 2019, 15:59
I am trying to do this in Pathfinder. My guidance from Zacchaeus was coming from an example created in 5e.

I have uploaded a screenshot of the example character where it shows Add Spell Class rather than the Powers function I see in some of the examples.

Also, I tried dragging from the Sneak attack on the right to the Actions on the left and that didn't work.

Zacchaeus
June 26th, 2019, 16:17

I have uploaded a screenshot of the example character where it shows Add Spell Class rather than the Powers function I see in some of the examples.

Since this is a post in the 5e forum I assumed that you were using 5e. If you aren't then post in the forum for the ruleset you are using.

ianw
April 10th, 2020, 12:38
Another way to do this: Add a power as El Condoro says above but instead of making it damage add it in as an affect. Right click and in the description add the following [Sneak Attack; DMG: 1d6] without the brackets. In targeting/expenditure change the target to Self and the Expend to On next roll. When making the sneak attack drag the effect onto your character before making the damage roll. When you make the damage roll this will add the extra damage to the roll. The benefit of using this method is that FG will use the damage type of the weapon when applying the sneak attack damage. This is useful if you are using different weapons which have different damage types. So your rogue could have a melee weapon doing slashing damage and a ranged weapon doing piercing damage. If you set up the sneak attack like El Condoro suggests then you will need to make sure that you add a line for each of the possible damage types otherwise the extra damage could be incorrect.

This is what I'd like to do.

however [Sneak Attack; DMG: 1d6] is not working as is [Sneak Attack; DMG: 2d6]

Any suggestions?

Zacchaeus
April 10th, 2020, 16:42
This is what I'd like to do.

however [Sneak Attack; DMG: 1d6] is not working as is [Sneak Attack; DMG: 2d6]

Any suggestions?

As noted in your other post; yes it does work. You'll need to say why it's not working - a screenshot or two might help us solve your issue.

ianw
April 12th, 2020, 17:09

Hi As you can see not working and not going away.

any help appreciated.

LordEntrails
April 12th, 2020, 17:38

Hi As you can see not working and not going away.

any help appreciated.
Please include a screen shot of the combat tracker showing the effect applied to the actor.

Zacchaeus
April 12th, 2020, 17:53
See screenshots; the first shows the state of play just before damage is rolled. The second shows the actual damage roll. Make sure that the effect has SELF as target and on next roll in expiry and that the effect has been applied to the PC on the CT and that the PC has properly targeted the NPC.

ianw
April 12th, 2020, 20:12
Thanks, any idea how I can do that not connected to the game.

Do I need to create my own campaign, or wake the DM up again ? :-)

Zacchaeus
April 12th, 2020, 22:57
Thanks, any idea how I can do that not connected to the game.

Do I need to create my own campaign, or wake the DM up again ? :-)

If you are on the demo version you'll need to be connected to your DM.

If you have your own license you can set up a character and test it on the CT,

ianw
April 13th, 2020, 15:36
So works no description. but not as originally described. Screen shots attached.3359833599

thanks for all the help.

Zacchaeus
April 13th, 2020, 16:18
So works no description. but not as originally described. Screen shots attached.

thanks for all the help.

I think I know know why you weren't getting it to work. I'll bet you included the square brackets in the effect based on my original post quite some way back which showed how to set it up and it said there to use that wording without the square brackets.