PDA

View Full Version : Custom Tables

Iceman
January 14th, 2015, 16:08
I created some custom critical hit tables in my prior 3.5E campaign. I now wish to use those same tables in my new 3.5E campaign. Is there an easy way to copy those tables over to the new campaign or, better still, a way to make those tables available everytime I create a new 3.5E campaign?
Thanks!

JohnD
January 14th, 2015, 16:16
You should be able to use /export to make a module of just your critical tables.

Nylanfs
January 14th, 2015, 16:41
https://geekchichq.com/ ... This was my first thought when I saw the thread title. :) But JohnD is right. Alternately there's some istructions on how to setup a "Master" campaign that you keep all these things you might reuse.

Trenloe
January 14th, 2015, 19:30
As John says - export the module, and select "Tables". Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Library#Module_Export

Iceman
January 19th, 2015, 15:40
Thank you for the wiki instructions as it is not an intuitive process. But with the help of the wiki I was able to bring all of my tables over and even some info I did not want but those are easy to delete. The blood shall flow once again!

Mirloc
January 29th, 2015, 03:50
I second the master campaign aspect. I create each adventure setting and export it to a module, opening it only for the critical items (npcs, direct quest information, maps and what-not), I have a module that runs the stores, where all of the items (magic and otherwise) are stored, and finally a module that I call Global where the world-based information is kept (world maps, major NPC's and the like).

The Master-<Game> is the one I load which stores the characters and their notes. It seems to help out with keeping the bloat down on the running game.

RCathcart
May 16th, 2015, 04:02
Is there any way to migrate a table from one ruleset to another?

Let's say I make a generic table in Mutants & Masterminds and want to use it in D&D (yes, I know that's highly unlikely...) But is there a way to do it?

Seems like exporting will still restrict modules to their rulesets (I think).

Trenloe
May 16th, 2015, 04:13
Export the tables into a module. Then you'll need to edit the <ruleset> tag in the module definition.xml file after exporting. Change it to Any or the exact name of the ruleset you want to use the modules in.

RCathcart
May 16th, 2015, 15:42
Thanks. The "Any" didn't seem to work for me, but putting in the exact name of the ruleset did. So that's great!

However, is there some other wildcard term that might work? Much thanks!

Trenloe
May 16th, 2015, 15:58
You can usually remove the whole ruleset tag completely.

RCathcart
May 16th, 2015, 16:01
You can usually remove the whole ruleset tag completely.

OK. But I did try it again with "Any" and that seemed to work. Not sure what happened. But no matter, this is good.

Now I just have to figure out how to convert tables in Excel to XML. Apparently, this is not difficult because Excel has the conversion method baked in. What I need to figure out is where to put the resulting code within the module XML file and how to do it so it works.

Mirloc
May 27th, 2015, 01:37
Well, to be totally honest, I've tinkered with this for a bit and I can't find a way to export the data to the XML that FG uses. You can FILE->SAVE AS and select Web Page, but there's a whole lot of junk that you'd need to manually remove in order to create the XML you'd need to insert. I have not tried using the data, but I'm pretty sure it would throw errors left and right, I am confident that someone (myself included if I got REALLY ambitious) could come up with something, but at the moment I'm up to my ears in work for - well work frankly...

Unless someone has some other information, I'm afraid that this isn't as easy as just exporting properly formatted XML.

Mirloc
May 30th, 2015, 10:12
Ok just an update:

I've been tinkering with a VB script you load into Excel as a macro. So far it's working-ish you open Excel, type in the information 1st row is going to be automatically bold, all other rows are going to be normal.

You highlight the area you want turned into the table, and run the macro. The output drops a text file called FG Table.TXT in your Documents folder.

The troubles I am having at the moment stem from the basic realization that I am not a coder, but I'm working on it.

When I'm finished, I'll upload the Excel file with the macro enclosed.