PDA

View Full Version : Keep on the borderlands for 5e campaign starting

mmurray821
January 12th, 2015, 16:57
I am new to the online tabletop play and picked up a standard license. I have most of the module Keep on the borderlands created in FG and am almost ready to start running players through it.

Been DM'ing since the original red box but this will be my first time running FG so there may be a few "technical difficulties" as I get used to the system.

The playing time is on Sundays from 7-11 pm (-8 GMT), but the exact dates are in the air. As soon as I know the details I'll post it here and on the calendar.

If you are interested, please post your 1st level character here. 30pts buy. Standard starting gold/kit.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1330

Thanks

1ifeblood
January 12th, 2015, 21:43
I'm definitely interested! I'm at work right now but I'll put a character together tonight and post it up.

Dr_Babylon
January 13th, 2015, 04:19
I will admit to some curiosity regarding 5e and I have been looking to adapt my gaming regimen to include less familiar systems. Should I assume your game will carry a requisite voice-communication proviso?

mmurray821
January 13th, 2015, 04:46
Should I assume your game will carry a requisite voice-communication proviso?

It can be arranged. Skype or teamspeak as per the group's preference.

Mistamichal
January 13th, 2015, 06:04
After a bit of calculation, I've worked out that is 2pm my time on my days off. So, I'd love to play. I'll apply on the calendar.

Dr_Babylon
January 13th, 2015, 06:47
I am afraid it simply must be text-communication for me. Thus, I step aside to make way for better-suited participants. Thank you for your speedy response. I wish you well.

Mistamichal
January 13th, 2015, 21:21
Here's what I'd like to play.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6pPeLy-dHgRRVlybV9WYklCMXM/view?usp=sharing

mmurray821
January 13th, 2015, 22:12
Rogue Elvish Robin Hood (or Jayne). Awesome!

Mistamichal
January 13th, 2015, 22:59
I'm glad you got the firefly reference LOL! Yep. A bit of both :)

Mithrull
January 14th, 2015, 02:28
I've been looking to get into D&D after hearing lots of positive things about 5E. I haven't played in many years and can't imagine a cooler way to get back than with good ole B2. Totally new to FG though. Are you perhaps extending the campaign beyond that or is this sort of a trial run?

mmurray821
January 14th, 2015, 03:37
I'm doing B2 since I'm new at FG too. Been running it through with 5e rules and having to modify some of it as some of the encounters are deadly with this ruleset. I'm happy to continue the characters for more adventures if a few or more of the players wish to do so.

1ifeblood
January 14th, 2015, 05:48
I would be looking at playing a half-elf sorcerer charlatan

mmurray821
January 14th, 2015, 14:04
Double entry

mmurray821
January 14th, 2015, 14:06
Cool. I'll mark it on the calendar. Please accept the invite.

Mistamichal
January 15th, 2015, 22:25
Just noticed the voice chat post: I'm happy with either Skype or Teamspeak. I've got both.

JeffKnight
January 16th, 2015, 03:39
I made a Wood Elf Ranger as an example for some new players in my game I'm running that I honestly would love to play in a game.

mmurray821
January 16th, 2015, 04:47
Excellent. Just need a tank now and a cleric if someone wants to play one. If no one wants to play a cleric I'll modify prices and availability for healing potions/items to compensate.

Also looking to start on the 8th or the 15th of February. Depends on my son's treatment schedule when the start date is.

someoneinatree
January 19th, 2015, 11:16
hey mmurray... a bit like mistamichael, I'm an Aussie so the start time is 2pm Monday... which is actually good for me particularly if its only every second week.

I'm experienced with FG2, and have now DM-ed one session and played a few sessions of 5E, so can probably help smooth over some of the technical stuff with you guys as well.

I'm happy to play a Cleric or a Paladin... whatever works best for party balance and roleplay cohesion.

mmurray821
January 19th, 2015, 14:55
We have a dragon born, priest of bahamut cleric that just came on. The group really could use a tank for the waves of orcs to break upon as they are still lacking a fighter type.

someoneinatree
January 20th, 2015, 01:45
No worries. I'll come up with a Fighter or Paladin concept then. Are we playing within any particular setting? :)

mmurray821
January 20th, 2015, 02:14
Since the 5e is based off Forgotten Realms, I'm assuming the Keep is on that world just to keep things simple.

someoneinatree
January 27th, 2015, 03:35
Hey mmurray... when did you think you want to have the first session? Just want to lock it in so I can organise work around it.

mmurray821
January 27th, 2015, 04:26
I will know Wednesday. My son starts treatment again and I can pin down an exact day.

someoneinatree
January 27th, 2015, 05:34
No worries :)

mmurray821
January 29th, 2015, 04:41
February 15th is the go date! Prepare yourselves for death!

JeffKnight
January 29th, 2015, 04:47
Excellent!

Mistamichal
January 29th, 2015, 04:58
Well, that's ominous.... LOL!

someoneinatree
January 29th, 2015, 06:01
Awesome! Let me know if any FG newbies in the group want some assistance setting up characters / or working out how things work.

Eonmoon
February 6th, 2015, 10:05
mmm, will see about help tomorrow, too tired to check stuff out, been feeling tired most of the week from depression, most of that is setbacks with granmum from coming home from uncles, first she broke her back on her birthday in the first week of december, then this week she had a micro stroke and had to get two more weeks of physical therapy added on, when she was supposed to come home

azj5001
February 11th, 2015, 02:28
Major bummer, silly me I just realized this is starting too late. The idea of finding a game clouded my judgement. For some reason I thought this was starting at 7pm est. Sorry guys I have to bow out, I was really excited to play, but it just won't work with my schedule.

mmurray821
February 11th, 2015, 19:05
Hey guys,

Unfortunately I have to push this back one week. My son has had his surgery bumped up and trying to run a campaign from a hospital guest wireless most likely won't work. I'll have family coming in to help until June so my availability has been greatly increased, so if there are times that work best for you guys I can be much more flexible. Sunday nights are still good, but other weeknights I am open to as well.

Thoughts?

JeffKnight
February 11th, 2015, 19:08
No worries. Family comes first. Gives us all more time to parse too :D

Mistamichal
February 13th, 2015, 21:46
Not a problem . . . . . . . . Although I won't be parsing. I tried but just can't get it :confused:

someoneinatree
February 15th, 2015, 23:46
I just gave JeffKnight a bit of a tutorial in setting up / running a character in FG2 this past weekend.... if you want to do the same Mistamichal then it'd be no problem. Just PM me. Will save our DM time when we have the first session :)

Mistamichal
February 16th, 2015, 00:17
That's ok thanks. I know FG pretty well and I've had my character all ready to go for a few weeks now. :)

Dekorume
February 16th, 2015, 02:36
Was wondering if there was still room for another? I new to FG, but been around D&D since the days of having to color the die with a wax-crayon.

Mistamichal
February 16th, 2015, 03:04
Well we recently lost a player. So, I'd say it can't hurt to go over to the calendar and sign up. :)

Dekorume
February 16th, 2015, 06:57
Done and done.

shaddowez
February 17th, 2015, 01:51
So, I just found this thread, but had tried signing up on the calendar. Do you have room for one more, or are you full?

someoneinatree
February 18th, 2015, 11:43
I believe there is room for at least one more, but our DM is currently looking after his son who is undergoing surgery. So, I'm sure one of you guys who have signed up on here and the calendar will be able to play - but you might need a little patience until the DM has time to check in and give you an update.

mmurray821
February 18th, 2015, 14:22
Hi! Yes been busy. Everyone ok and great!

I can add more players. I'll just have to add more monsters on the fly to add more difficulty since I built everything for 4-5 players. The original game had 7-8 players running through it. If you all can PM me your character sheets I can take a look and begin to modify the encounters so it can be tailored to the group.

Thanks for your patience everyone!

Dekorume
February 19th, 2015, 06:08
Did not see anywhere in the PM to attach a file, so here is my submission for your campaign.

Forgot to input my stats, will update my character in a fe moments

As always,

Dek

PS: Added the new "Stats included" version of Jourfrend.

someoneinatree
February 19th, 2015, 06:58
and here's ferdie... also as an FG2 xml. You can just import it straight to FG if you like.

Mistamichal
February 22nd, 2015, 10:31
It seems as though I don't have permission to upload anything. So here's a link to my character sheet. It's also an FG XML.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6pPeLy-dHgRX0RsOUNEZl81OHM/view?usp=sharing

JeffKnight
February 22nd, 2015, 22:37
Sorry for the delay. Here is my sheet - had to remake it since it was still stored on chezcaliente's.

JeffKnight
February 22nd, 2015, 22:44
It can be arranged. Skype or teamspeak as per the group's preference.

My guild has a Mumble server that could be used as well, if you want. Info:

east1.voice.enjin.com
Port 60132

Dekorume
February 23rd, 2015, 01:20
About an hour and a half til game time, was wondering if I had been accepted into the campaign....inquiring minds want to know

JeffKnight
February 23rd, 2015, 02:08
I'd say show up. :D

Eonmoon
February 23rd, 2015, 02:10
how will we connect, if on Skype my address is [email protected]

mmurray821
February 23rd, 2015, 02:19
I just got home to get everything set up... And my computer wont turn on. Swapping power strips didnt help. Doing triage.

Dekorume
February 23rd, 2015, 02:27
I'd say show up. :D

I would but do not have the table info. *hint**hint*

As always,

Dek

JeffKnight
February 23rd, 2015, 02:34
The rest of us don't either.

Dekorume
February 23rd, 2015, 02:46
And my computer wont turn on. Swapping power strips didnt help. Doing triage.

How goes the triage?

Mistamichal
February 23rd, 2015, 02:54
Hmmmm.... probably not good......

Eonmoon
February 23rd, 2015, 02:58
waiting, also still fiddling with sheet

mmurray821
February 23rd, 2015, 02:58
The power supply is shot. It won't turn on when I short it out. Sorry guys. I will grab a new one tomorrow and if anyone has time can run the adventure tomorrow night. My trying to game online is cursed. :(

Dekorume
February 23rd, 2015, 03:01
Quite all right, MMurray. Sometimes, circumstances arise that we then have to adjust to. Let me know when are where, and I'll be there for your game.

As always,

Dek

Mistamichal
February 23rd, 2015, 03:02
Bummer. I sympathise. I was running a Pathfinder game and on the day of the first session, my internet decided to cut out every 5 minutes. Ended up having to call it off after about half an hour. I won't be available tomorrow, though. It'll be Tuesday afternoon here and I'll be at work.

Eonmoon
February 23rd, 2015, 03:05
I will be here tomorrow night, bummer on the pc woes,

JeffKnight
February 23rd, 2015, 03:09
I'm not available tomorrow night, too short notice to find work replacement. Guess I have to bow out of this one.

mmurray821
February 23rd, 2015, 03:10
Thanks guys (I hate typing on tablets). I'll be on at -7GMT tomorrow and whoever wants to jump on can. We can import characters and kick the tires and see if things work. Those that can't be there we can schedule something later this week to bring you in.

JeffKnight
February 23rd, 2015, 03:13
I'm not available during the week, only Fri/Sat/Sun evenings - and this coming weekend I'm not available either, since I had to trade work shifts to have tonight open and the week after that I will be attending my little sister's basketball tournament. :/

shaddowez
February 23rd, 2015, 04:42
That sucks about the computer :/ Monday's actually my only night that I'm not available. I'll get the sheet uploaded shortly, sorry I didn't have it done earlier.

someoneinatree
February 23rd, 2015, 06:17
I do happen to be free tomorrow. So I'll be around if we want to do some character loading etc.

Eonmoon
February 24th, 2015, 02:25
eons ready for the most part, need to figure out a feat for my dragonborn

mmurray821
February 24th, 2015, 02:45
Everything is up and green if anyone wants to join around 7 and load characters.
zany hook puny ninja

Teamspeak chat: Keep on the borderlands under 5e
pass breakfix

Eonmoon
February 24th, 2015, 02:50
how do I connect to teamspeak, haven't used it

mmurray821
February 24th, 2015, 02:57
Download the client: https://www.teamspeak.com/

Then follow the instructions here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server

iamisandisnt
February 24th, 2015, 19:05
Is it too late to join this campaign? Looking for some 5th edition experience :) I can make a character in no time, I'm an avid RPer and professional adult :P I enjoy the RP and puzzle/story elements and just down to have a good time exploring this awesome new ruleset. If need be I can fill any missing roles in the party, but I don't want to overburden a full team.

I work freelance so I'm available to schedule a weekly game pretty much any day, EST for me

Dekorume
February 25th, 2015, 06:26
When might we get together to work on characters again, mmurray? I am available at almost any time.

As always,

Dek

mmurray821
February 25th, 2015, 17:01
I'll be at the hospital for the rest of the week. I'll try to see if I can connect on the guest wireless and if I can, we can load/work on characters pretty easily.

Also for the rest of the group if you want to suggest a time to run the game I'll block out that time and be available.

@iamisandist - Not too late I think. I had a couple delays and people had to leave due to time conflicts so we should have room. I just don't want combat to get too much of a cluster in the caves. ;)

iamisandisnt
February 25th, 2015, 18:36
Hope everything goes well with your son's surgery.

Are we still aiming for Sundays? I should be free that evening (assuming you're still starting at 7 pacific which is like 10 my time).

I love the diversity in 5th edition classes, but what do you think the party could use most? I'm thinking either druid, barbarian, or ranger if perhaps a little of both would be good.

mmurray821
February 27th, 2015, 00:06
Still aiming for Sunday, but the time can be moved a couple hours if needed.

Hospital WIFI didn't work but I'll be home around -7 GMT tomorrow if you want to load up a character.

iamisandisnt
February 27th, 2015, 01:06
What time is that? I'll be busy starting at 5pm EST tomorrow (-5 GMT timezone).

mmurray821
February 27th, 2015, 01:37
I'm on PST, so 3 hours behind ya.

7pm is 10pm your time.

iamisandisnt
February 27th, 2015, 01:39
Sounds good! I'll talk to you then :) I have skype and teamspeak, same username on both: iamisandisnt. Let me know when you're online!

Dekorume
February 28th, 2015, 02:07
Sitting in Teamspeak awaiting further orders *grin*

iamisandisnt
March 1st, 2015, 04:31
Thanks for the session on FG last night, Mmurray.

Pretty much finished my Noble Barbarian Half-Orc - easily offended by simpleton orcs who disrespect him. I got a whole backstory in mind, it's hilarious:

Basically a female orc warrior (his mother) was part of a roaming horde that plundered a human city (Ilinvur) and *achem* forcefully fostered a child with the lord of the castle. Born and raised briefly by orcs (much to their dissatisfaction), Hrugoth was rejected and exiled to die in the wild as a young child. As fate would have it, he was discovered and recognized by the same lord of Ilinvur castle on a routine hunt.

Raised as and officially accepted as a bastard child of the human lord, Hrugoth took on an air of pride despite his social rejection by humankind, similar to his experience in orcish society. Seeing the city of Ilinvur as "conquered" in his eyes, he turned his sites to the orcish lands, intent on gaining their respect and recognition as their superior, or their deaths.

:D

Eonmoon
March 1st, 2015, 23:11
no game for me tonight, sick and brothers busy with stuff

mmurray821
March 2nd, 2015, 02:17
Hey guys. I'm gonna be running late as they released my son today instead of tomorrow. So if people are still up for it I can do an 8pm PST start.

iamisandisnt
March 2nd, 2015, 02:21
Well hey man it's your son and all but I'm here if anyone else is down to game - it appears Dekorume is in Teamspeak as well

Congrats on a successful surgery btw that's great news

someoneinatree
March 2nd, 2015, 10:31
Is it going to be every second week still once we get started? Basically my schedule is pretty flexible as long as I have a few weeks notice and I can plan work around what we're doing. But does mean that I often can't change things at the last minute if I've already booked work in.

mmurray821
March 2nd, 2015, 14:05
Yes. Things are back on a solid schedule with my boy's treatment and I shouldn't have anymore hardware issues.

However, if a meteor hits my house or barbarians storm the gates I quit. :p

mmurray821
March 4th, 2015, 04:02
The call has gone out.

Adventurers and soldiers of fortune are wanted. Wanted to serve at the pleasure of Waterdeep. Goblin and orc tribes have taken up residence in the Sword Mountains and are reguarly attacking merchants on the trade route between Waterdeep and Neverwinter. Beat them back, attack their lairs and help drive them from our lands.
Those that take up this challenge are granted a small pittance and discounted prices at the Keep on the Border. Treasure that is found in service is granted full rights to the finder and may be put in our vaults for a small fee.

Such is the notice that was posted in the taverns and inns, gate houses and marketplaces. Such was a notice that drew your little band to the borderlands and the lonely, broken road you know travel on in the foothills of the Sword Mountains. Ahead, up the winding road, atop a sheer-walled mount of stone, looms the great KEEP. Here, at one of civilization’s strongholds between settled lands and wild, you will base yourselves and equip for forays against the whatever unknown lurk in the hills. Somewhere nearby, amidst the dark forests and tangled fens, the lairs await you. As well as your fate.

iamisandisnt
March 7th, 2015, 14:44
So are we gaming tomorrow night?

mmurray821
March 7th, 2015, 17:24
That is the plan.

mmurray821
March 9th, 2015, 01:45
If any of my non-US players weren't aware, we have had a time change as Daylight Savings time started and everything shifted forward one hour. So here, 7pm starts in 1 hour 20 minutes.

If there is a problem with the time and you show up an hour later, that is fine and we can accommodate you this play session.

mmurray821
March 22nd, 2015, 16:29
Hello everyone.

My son has had some complications and the treatment schedule has changed and is no longer on a regular time. So I can't commit to any time in the future as my schedule can change at any moment. So as of now I am ending the campaign. I apologize to those that have played with me and have time scheduled.

Hopefully I'll see you all again after summer.

iamisandisnt
March 22nd, 2015, 16:32
:( 'twas a noble adventure indeed! Hoping for the best with your son.

Eonmoon
March 22nd, 2015, 22:43
well F*CK, however good luck with your kid, hopefully he gets better soon, take care

someoneinatree
March 23rd, 2015, 03:01
Ah that's a shame. The first session was lots of fun! Best wishes for you and your family mmurray.