PDA

View Full Version : Constuctable Board Game Support?

Coanunn
January 11th, 2015, 16:00
Ok, so I'm not sure how this could be handled but what I would love to be able to do is recreate my old Warhammer Quest, HeroQuest, Wrath of Ashardalon and Zombies!!! games. The problem I have is if I sit and do mock ups or even photos of the board pieces there is no way to assemble them within Fantasy Grounds that I can figured out due to the way images work. I am also not sure if I could recreate these due to the specialty dice some use. Is there a "board game" ruleset that I can use to build within or a way to create specialty dice? Also is there a way to support these "assembled board" style games within images or to create a "deck" of board pieces that can be shuffled?

I would LOVE to be able to play these with the features of Fantasy Grounds and the freedom my ultimate license gives me to play with all my friends for free. PLEASE HELP ME FIND A WAY!!!

Trenloe
January 11th, 2015, 16:18
Use the enhanced images (layer) extension to place your map pieces in the form of tokens on the base layer: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-%28layers%29-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-%28and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG%29 Start with a large blank image file (not a new FG blank map) and go from there. Make sure you have a blank image that is large enough to include all of your map pieces, and scan the map pieces as token images with the same pixel-to-square ratio: something like 50 pixels per square. There are some gotchas with the enhanced images extension - make sure you're aware of those (they're listed in the first couple of posts of the thread linked above).

Random deck board pieces which could be shuffled will be pretty hard to do. The Savage Worlds ruleset has cards, shuffling, etc. - and the adventure deck expands on this. I'm not familiar with the code for that so I don't know if this could support shuffling, picking off the top, putting back in, etc..

Some rulesets have done custom dice, but this would involve coding to some level (depending how much result reporting you wanted to do). The Star Wars: Edge of the Empire ruleset is an example of what can be done: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20055-Star-Wars-Edge-of-the-Empire-FG-3-0

Coanunn
January 11th, 2015, 17:14
I had not thought of using the board pieces as tokens! That is an excellent idea. Is there any way currently supported by one of the addons perhaps to select a token at random from a specific set? Flag a set of tokens as "tiles" and then randomly select a token only from that collection? Is there a way to lock particular tokens so that once placed they can no longer be manipulated?

Trenloe
January 11th, 2015, 17:23
Flag a set of tokens as "tiles" and then randomly select a token only from that collection? Is there a way to lock particular tokens so that once placed they can no longer be manipulated?
You could use the FG table functionality - this would roll randomly on a table, and you could have the token names listed in the table, and manually mark those already used and re-roll if one used comes up. Not great, very manual and potentially error prone.

The Savage Worlds Action and Adventure Deck: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=S2P10013FG2 does most of what you'd probably want, but the resulting cards aren't tokens - it might be able to be modified to produce tokens.

Mask_of_winter
January 11th, 2015, 23:47
I had not thought of using the board pieces as tokens! That is an excellent idea. Is there any way currently supported by one of the addons perhaps to select a token at random from a specific set? Flag a set of tokens as "tiles" and then randomly select a token only from that collection? Is there a way to lock particular tokens so that once placed they can no longer be manipulated?

if you're using the enhanced images extensions, the tokens (tiles) would be on a different layer than the players tokens. Also, if you right click on a token and access the dial menu you can select "lock tokens".