PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Bestiary Update

ddavison
January 10th, 2015, 02:08
I just pushed a hotfix update to improve the parsing of 3.5E and Pathfinder statblocks in the statblock importer. D&D 3.5 had so many 3rd party publishers and changes over its lifetime, that parsing will need to be continually improved in order to get it right. If you have problems getting a statblock to parse using the new tool, please post a link to the source here, post the statblock in question (if it is okay from a copyright perspective) or email it to [email protected] and I'll see if I can modify the identification methods to get it to parse better.

The same goes for templates. If you need any help figuring out the best way to tackle a template, please post the issue here. There are plenty of examples in the AB library module, but as you can see, I opted to leave a number of things manual still.

Trenloe
January 10th, 2015, 02:16
The same goes for templates. If you need any help figuring out the best way to tackle a template, please post the issue here.
You're going to hate me for this - how about the advanced simple template?

ddavison
January 10th, 2015, 02:18
No worries. Which book is that one in again?

Trenloe
January 10th, 2015, 02:30
No worries. Which book is that one in again?
Standard bestiary: https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/monsterAdvancement.html#advanced-creature

It's a PITA as it need to modify all abilities and all ability related rolls - basically most everything that is rolled! It's probably the most common template used in Pathfinder.

ddavison
January 10th, 2015, 02:32
Okay, so looking at this... it gets close by doing the following.

Template entry:
Name: Advanced Simple
New Name: Advanced [NAME]
A - CR: +1
A - Armor Class: +2 natural
A - Attack: (An Advanced Simple Creature adds +2 to all attack rolls and damage rolls. Apply Manually)
A - Full Attack: (An Advanced Simple Creature adds +2 to all attack rolls and damage rolls. Apply Manually)
A - Spec Attacks: (An Advanced Simple Creature adds +2 to all spell attack rolls and Save DC values. Apply Manually)
A - Strength: +4
A - Dexterity: +4
A - Constitution: +4
A - Intelligence: +4
A - Wisdom: +4
A - Charisma: +4
A - Fort: +2
A - Reflex: +2
A - Will: +2
A - Init: +2
A - Skills: An Advanced Simple Creature adds +2 to all skill rolls listed;
A - Hit Dice: =Multiply([NUMHD],2)
A - HP: =Multiply([NUMHD],2)

Notes:
CREATING AN ADVANCED SIMPLE CREATURE
Creatures with the advanced template are fiercer and more powerful than their ordinary cousins.

Quick Rules: +2 on all rolls (including damage rolls) and special ability DCs; +4 to AC and CMD; +2 hp/HD.

Rebuild Rules: AC increase natural armor by +2; Ability Scores +4 to all ability scores (except Int scores of 2 or less)

ddavison
January 10th, 2015, 02:37
Now, it looks like I can put in a patch to fix up the HD and Hit Points to reflect the change to CON. If you know you are applying it to a creature that has a d10 hit die type, you can "fake it out" and set the template to

R - HD: d10

and it will recalculate the HD string and re-roll the hit points. I should be able to flag it to do that automatically when CON changes though. In time, I can probably parse out all the skills and do a better job of reflecting stat updates there. Basically, the attribute changes should flow through to each of these and they are not at the moment.

The more I started adding to the system, the more I wanted to kick myself for taking on this challenge. In the end, I started cutting some functionality and making it more manual. Hopefully it's still significantly better than just getting textual reference material... but it would be cool if it did everything perfectly. Some things may never be possible though unless we start putting in prompts. The Advanced Bestiary had a few things about the number of tongues, eyes, arms or heads the creature had. There was also a bunch of add this as if the creature was also 2 sizes larger than it is, but don't change it's size. Fun times.

Trenloe
January 10th, 2015, 02:42
The more I started adding to the system, the more I wanted to kick myself for taking on this challenge.
Yeah, I hear you - I looked at doing a template extension about a year ago and started with the advanced simple template ("simple" it is not in FG terms). I realised it would be a huge task and so dropped the idea in favour of other development projects.

Trenloe
January 10th, 2015, 02:44
Now, it looks like I can put in a patch to fix up the HD and Hit Points to reflect the change to CON. If you know you are applying it to a creature that has a d10 hit die type, you can "fake it out" and set the template to

and it will recalculate the HD string and re-roll the hit points. I should be able to flag it to do that automatically when CON changes though.
For the simple template it doesn't need to re-roll hit points - just add 2 HP per hit dice.

ddavison
January 10th, 2015, 04:02
Hmmm... I added a few things to handle this a little better. I haven't pushed them live yet.

I added a Multiple and Divide function for the Replacement Formulas and added a [NUMHD] and [HALFHD] replacement values.

You'll also want to add

While the formula for HD and HP would theoretically work, it seems like it would be a better experience to have the CON adjustment automatically adjust the hit points for each hit die.

*Okay... pushed it live now. I'm still thinking it might be worth it for me to have CON adjustements (CHA for Undead) automatically update the HP and HD strings.

darrenan
January 10th, 2015, 06:31
I don't think the HD changes in the Advanced Simple Template, it just gets two extra HP per HD for the CON increase.

hawkwind
January 10th, 2015, 14:17
just been preparing my first adventure using the NPC factory

I had the same problem with a number of stat blocks from the Emerald Spire Superdungeon. The attacks are coming out wrong so that the ranged attacks arn't active, its easy enough to fix by inserting a space and the word or before the word Ranged

here is the stat block

ECHO WOOD SCOUTS (4) CR 1/2
XP 200 each
Human rogue 1
NE Medium humanoid (human)
Init +3; Senses Perception +4
DEFENSE
AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 11 (+1 armor, +3 Dex)
hp 10 each (1d8+6)
Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +0
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee short sword +3 (1d6+1/19–20) or
dagger +3 (1d4+1/19–20)
Ranged light crossbow +3 (1d8/19–20 plus poison)
Special Attacks sneak attack +1d6
TACTICS
Morale If two scouts are defeated, the rest retreat to area C16.
STATISTICS
Str 13, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 8
Base Atk +0; CMB +1; CMD 14
Feats Toughness, Weapon Finesse
Skills Acrobatics +7, Appraise +5, Climb +5, Craft (traps) +5,
Disable Device +7, Escape Artist +7, Knowledge (local) +5,
Perception +4, Ride +4, Stealth +7
Languages Common
SQ trapfinding +1
Combat Gear potion of cure light wounds, greenblood oil (2);
Other Gear padded armor, dagger, light crossbow with
10 bolts, short sword
Treasure: Among the dishes are 11 pieces worth 50 gp each.

this is what the stat block looks like, screwed up the AC as well

hawkwind
January 10th, 2015, 15:25
duplicate post sorry

ddavison
January 10th, 2015, 19:35
Cool. I'll check that out later this evening to see if I can fix it.

As for the HD on the advanced, the problem is that if you don't change the HD string from 3d8+9 to 3d8+15 or 3d8+9+6, then it doesn't calculate high enough hit points if you later drag it to the combat tracker and you have your preference set to re-roll (i.e. Random setting) or if you have Max Setting. Max would still give it 33 hit points instead of 39. For that reason, I believe the bump from CON needs to be reflected in the HD description. The simple template is simply telling you that it is the equivalent of adding 2 hit points per hit die... but the reason is because of the CON boost.

darrenan
January 10th, 2015, 20:35
Ok, I misunderstood. I thought you were actually changing the number of HD, my bad. Is there a way to have a template change the number of Hit Dice, or only the modifier?

darrenan
January 10th, 2015, 20:37
Also, the resize controls don't seem to work on your windows. Using CTRL-left button drag to resize still works, so it's not a big deal, just an FYI.

ddavison
January 10th, 2015, 21:14
Ok, I misunderstood. I thought you were actually changing the number of HD, my bad. Is there a way to have a template change the number of Hit Dice, or only the modifier?

Yes, but right now you need to know the hit die type. For instance, you could add two monster levels

A - HD: +2d8

The most common case I came across when doing the templates from the Advanced Bestiary were cases where you change the die type depending on the new creature's type. For instance, going to a construct changes your die type to d10, so you'd set that as:

If the base creature was 4d8+12, the new creature will then be 4d10+12.

ddavison
January 10th, 2015, 21:24
just been preparing my first adventure using the NPC factory

I had the same problem with a number of stat blocks from the Emerald Spire Superdungeon. The attacks are coming out wrong so that the ranged attacks arn't active, its easy enough to fix by inserting a space and the word or before the word Ranged

here is the stat block

It looks like the word "each" in the middle of the hit points and the hit dice is causing it to miss part of the parsing. Also, it's looking for spaces around the "or" in the attack strings. This seems to parse accurately. Note the minor modifications.

XP 200 each
Human rogue 1
NE Medium humanoid (human)
Init +3; Senses Perception +4
DEFENSE
AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 11 (+1 armor, +3 Dex)
hp 10 (1d8+6)
Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +0
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee short sword +3 (1d6+1/19–20) or dagger +3 (1d4+1/19–20) or light crossbow +3 (1d8/19–20 plus poison)
Special Attacks sneak attack +1d6
TACTICS
Morale If two scouts are defeated, the rest retreat to area C16.
STATISTICS
Str 13, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 8
Base Atk +0; CMB +1; CMD 14
Feats Toughness, Weapon Finesse
Skills Acrobatics +7, Appraise +5, Climb +5, Craft (traps) +5,
Disable Device +7, Escape Artist +7, Knowledge (local) +5,
Perception +4, Ride +4, Stealth +7
Languages Common
SQ trapfinding +1
Combat Gear potion of cure light wounds, greenblood oil (2);
Other Gear padded armor, dagger, light crossbow with
10 bolts, short sword
Treasure: Among the dishes are 11 pieces worth 50 gp each.

Trashkicker
January 14th, 2015, 19:05
Here's a tough one for you: Fungal Creature https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/fungal-creature

ddavison
January 14th, 2015, 20:14
I would recommend building the template like this:

New Name: Fungal [NAME]
R - Type: plant
A - Init: -1
A - CR: +1
A - senses: darkvision 60 feet.
A - Armor Class: +2 natural
R - HD: d8
A - Fort Save: +2
A - Reflex Save: -1
A - Spec Qual: immunity to disease. plant traits. Fungal Metabolism (Ex), Rejuvenation (Ex)
A - Speed: (a plant decreases all speeds by 10 feet)
A - Attack: addAttack(Slam,1,,primary)
A - Full Attack: or addAttack(Slam,1,,primary)
A - Spec Attacks: Create Spawn (Ex), Poison Spore Cloud (Ex), Poisonous Blood (Ex)
A - Strength: +4
A - Dexterity: -2
A - Constitution: +4
Notes: Add full text from d20pfsrd for future reference with a heading for Creating a Fungal Creature

JohnD
January 18th, 2015, 21:49
Will this import spell lists for casters in a useable format or will it just be informational?

ddavison
January 18th, 2015, 21:57
Not at this time. The entire statblock will be copied over to the NPC Description tab for reference in game and there should be a special attack called Spells (Ex), or something like that.

JohnD
January 18th, 2015, 22:05
Ah, that's too bad Doug. Any idea if this is something that you'll be able to add at a later date?

ddavison
January 18th, 2015, 22:08
Possibly. It probably won't be in the short-term though.

Trenloe
January 19th, 2015, 04:21
Will this import spell lists for casters in a useable format or will it just be informational?
If you're using Pathfinder you can use the creature parser to parse full spell and spell like ability lists into the spells tab (limited to one spell list and one spell like ability list at the moment).

Creature parser info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20522-Pathfinder-Creature-Parser-V2-Beta-Version

bmos
March 21st, 2020, 00:13
Hmmm... I added a few things to handle this a little better. I haven't pushed them live yet.

I added a Multiple and Divide function for the Replacement Formulas and added a [NUMHD] and [HALFHD] replacement values.

You'll also want to add

While the formula for HD and HP would theoretically work, it seems like it would be a better experience to have the CON adjustment automatically adjust the hit points for each hit die.

*Okay... pushed it live now. I'm still thinking it might be worth it for me to have CON adjustements (CHA for Undead) automatically update the HP and HD strings.
Sorry to revive a new post but this template discussed here seems to be missing from the module.

Dikromattix
March 24th, 2020, 05:12
Honestly I'd be extraordinarily interested in seeing this post revived. I run FG through a Linux box, which means I don't have a way to parse statblocks. As I'm new, but have been writing campaigns using my computer for years I'd love to have a tool for this.

If someone's still working on this please let me know because I'd love to help develop something to run in Linux.

Trenloe
March 24th, 2020, 08:58
Honestly I'd be extraordinarily interested in seeing this post revived. I run FG through a Linux box, which means I don't have a way to parse statblocks. As I'm new, but have been writing campaigns using my computer for years I'd love to have a tool for this.

If someone's still working on this please let me know because I'd love to help develop something to run in Linux.
Welcome to the FG forums Dikromattix!

The functionality being discussed is available in this product: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=GRR2901e

A similar community version is available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34199-CreatureGen-Extension-Import-Stat-blocks-on-the-fly-with-populated-spells&p=419547&viewfull=1#post419547

Arimil508
July 21st, 2021, 22:38
Ignore this I am dumb